X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heirmeistr View Post
    I am really impressed on how well this is all thought out. Definitely done by someone much smarter than me. I cannot figure out the 2mm tapped screw hole. How long of a screw is needed and how is it used? I assume I need a hole in the CF ejection tube as well?
    Does anyone have pictures of the screw install or can explain it to carefully to me? Thank You
    The 2mm screw I used was from a metal gear servo. It is the screw used to hold the servo horn on. It needs to be a machine screw and flat on the bottom. Doesn't really matter how long it is. The way it works is that this screw is what actually keeps the whole piston assembly from shooting out the back when fired but still allows the piston to be removed if needed. I removed some foam from above the stock CF tube vertical fin channel in the aft of the fuselage to gain access to where I needed to drill the hole and I have a 2mm tap to thread the holes. The hole for the screw in the short piece that slides on the plunger rod can either be tapped for 2mm as well or a clearance hole for it. The point is to run the screw through the stock CF tail tube from above and into the sleeve without it binding against the plunger rod. You want it to be threaded secure in the hole in the stock CF tube and thread into the slider to lock it in place. You can adjust the screw to keep it from binding against the rod and then use some Foam Tac or the white tube glue that comes in the kit to keep the screw from changing position. The slider also gives the spring something to compress against when set. I hope this helps. let me know if you have anymore questions. Here is a picture of the screw which you can just make out covered with Foam Tac. Looks like I had to remove a small section of the plastic fin mount as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180402_194932.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	226698

Comment

RDjetdude
      I ordered 2 of the DSM-44 servos as shown in the photos for my mod. These servos come with very short arms (yellow in color). I quickly realized that these yellow arms are too short for releasing the trigger. I see in the photos and video you are using a longer white arm for the trigger release. I tried all of my small servo arms but none will fit this servo. Do you know where I can get longer than stock servo arms that will fit the DSM-44 servo? Thank You. I am so close to finishing this mod and I am anxious to give it a try.

Comment

Oh golly....if I remember correctly it was one I just had lying around which isn't going to help you much I know. I may have gotten it from my local hobby store or it was an arm that came with another servo. A possible option would be to extend the arms that came with it. Sorry...

Comment

I could not figure out (from searching the web) what longer servo arm would fit the DSM44 servo so off to the LHS I went. Traveling to the LHS is a last resort for me these days as it takes 1.5 - 2 hrs to travel there and back but sometimes it is necessary. At the LHS I did find some arms that fit, they are the E-flite EFLRS754. You just cant use the provided screw as it is a different thread.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	231690

Comment

Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post
            Hi,

Here are some of the directions on how I go about making the drag chute for the Freewing F-4 Phantom.

The short kit comes with all the materials for building. I have penciled in all the cut lines and ribbon placement lines.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E5712.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	170163
            First lightly spray with spray mount. I usually spray one sec from three feet above cutting board. Then apply material to the cutting board.
            Make sure to smooth out material nice and flat.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E5710.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	170162
            Using a rotary razor cut all slots, outer and center.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5715.JPG Views:	1 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	170164
            Cut 10 pieces of 1/16 ribbon at 20 inch lengths and place on a surface to be sprayed with adhesive. I spray about 18.5 exposed and the rest is covered
            with tape on end for better handling. Make 3 or 4 passes of adhesive.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E5707.JPG Views:	1 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	170165
            Now a apply ribbons quickly while adhesive is tacky onto the marked lines starting with a cross hair pattern then starting anywhere from left to right clockwise.
            Press ribbon onto material. Don't worry about the ribbon tails being to even because they will be trimmed to about an inch later.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	170166
            Now the fun part... slowly start peeling the material off the cutting board, ribbons will come off so be careful. The idea of gluing the ribbons is to aid during sewing.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E5719.JPG Views:	1 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	170167
            I then set the chute to the side and flip the mat over and add some baby/talcum powder placing the chute glued side down to kill off the glue residue.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5720.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	170168
            Next I take a poster board and iron to insure glue from the ribbons set better before sewing.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5722.JPG Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	170169
            Cut ribbon tails to one inch all the way around and singe ends.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E5721.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	170170
            Time to sew. Straight stitch and back stitch at the beginning, center and end of each ribbon.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33555.jpg Views:	486 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	170171Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33556.jpg Views:	486 Size:	64.9 KB ID:	170172Click image for larger version  Name:	image_33557.jpg Views:	479 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	170173
            Now you are just about halfway done with your chute. Place to the side and get ready for suspension lines, shock and finally assembly.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5733.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	170175
            Hey, could you advice me where you've got those cutting mats? I suppose I need one too. The result looks really fine and precise

Comment

They sell them at craft/fabric stores along with the rotary cutting wheels. Even Walmart caries them in the craft section.

Comment

RC JetDude - After completing the mod, what paint did you use to paint your tail cone to match the original color from FlightLine? Thanks!

Comment

RCJetDude, I am so impressed with your beautifully done mods on the Freewing F-4. I can't stop chuckling over the cleverness, skill and functionality of it all. How the heck did you think this through so dang well. My hat is off to you, sir, very well conceived and constructed.
                  Now, how much does your kit cost and does it come with instructions and paint recommendations for the Jolly Roger version, despite the photos here on HS?

Thanks,
                  JE

Comment

lt was a collaborative effort with Paul. He had the idea for the spring loaded rod, I just ran with it. It is fairly straight forward to install. It comes with the plunger diagram and I am always here to help answer any questions. My Jolly Roger was lightly sanded with 200 grit, wiped down with denatured alcohol and then a tac cloth, masked the canopy with green Frog tape, primed with white Rustoleum primer, masked with yellow Frog tape after first sticking it to my shirt several times then airbrushed with Model Masters acrylic gloss gull gray, semi-gloss black, Insignia yellow and I think Gunmetal on the tail. Paint the yellow on first, then the gull gray. I left the bottom just white primer. Callie graphics and no clear coat. Accents were done with Aluminum. Weathering was simply a wash with watered down Burnt Umber and wiped with a clean cloth. It looks as good today as the day I finished it.

Name:	20200610_101156_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	259464

Comment

So, what is the cost and what happens next?
                      JE

Comment

Paul Helmsman makes the chutes and can also provide the plunger assy. I can provide a short kit which is various pieces needed for the install. The main part is the fiberglass tail cone. I charge $30 shipped in the US, $45 International for the kit I make. You would need to provide your own servos.

Comment

RCJD, very reasonable. Is there a parts list from you, I have another club member who may want in, and we need exchange names and addresses via email as well as your preferred method of payment.
                          I'll wait to hear from you.
                          JE

Comment

Originally posted by jpjet View Post
                            RCJD, very reasonable. Is there a parts list from you, I have another club member who may want in, and we need exchange names and addresses via email as well as your preferred method of payment.
                            I'll wait to hear from you.
                            JE
                            Check out post #21 of this thread for a parts list. Please do check with Paul on the chute and piston assembly as the chute, while priced accordingly is more than some are willing to pay.

Comment

That chute is fantastic. looks every bit like the real one.
                              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

RCJD, I'd like to order 2 short kits. Do you do that through email?
                                JE

Comment

quiverfulcreations@yahoo.com

Comment

Steve - here is a photo before the trigger wire was installed.

Comment

Mod is finished and works great - now on to painting and mounting on plane. I am wondering what the proper storage for the mod is? If it is stored cocked, does keeping the 4 springs compressed reduce their expansion force over time? If it is stored un-cocked, does keeping the trigger wire deflected cause it to develop a bend and not seat in the trigger slot properly over time? Also, is there anything (like corn starch or maybe baby powder) that needed to be used on the chute to allow it to open up more easily after being rolled up? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by paulsnapp View Post
                                        Mod is finished and works great - now on to painting and mounting on plane. I am wondering what the proper storage for the mod is? If it is stored cocked, does keeping the 4 springs compressed reduce their expansion force over time? If it is stored un-cocked, does keeping the trigger wire deflected cause it to develop a bend and not seat in the trigger slot properly over time? Also, is there anything (like corn starch or maybe baby powder) that needed to be used on the chute to allow it to open up more easily after being rolled up? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!
                                        Good job! I prefer to store it "un-cocked" and personally don't use any powder on it but you could use corn starch and it wouldn't hurt a thing.

Name:	20200823_154105_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	270332

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X