Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds like if I'm going to try.the hand launch I should wait for a deep snow day and stand on the cab of my truck. I've abused my shoulders on dirt bikes over the years, so over launching overhand is more of a risk to my rotator cuff than to the plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ks.jetflyer View Post
      I have the outrunner version, with the landing gear removed it has at least1-1 thrust. Slight overhand toss and it's gone. That said, I do have someone launch it for me. Need two hands to launch.
      Mine will under hand launch with the gear intact running the FMS 2100kv EDF.

Just needs a little under handed throw holding it by the coke-bottle section of the fuse and off it goes. I'm left handed so throw with my left, with my fingers on the elevons after I advance the throttle. I used to do that to save wear and tear on the gear when I flew off of grass.

Comment

• Here is my efforts to improve visibility. Afterburner, gyro, 3d parts, ready to maiden

Comment

• Sweet! Nice cockpit! What did you use to get that heated metal nozzle look?

Comment

• Did some winterflying with the Mirage. This is north of the arctic circle so its no sun during the day at this time of the year ;-)
            Flying 1 january 2020 at 12 o`clock in the Arctic with the sun under horizon. Some high alpha flying+ landing on the frozen Lake Sørlivannet here.

Comment

• Originally posted by rms View Post
              Did some winterflying with the Mirage. This is north of the arctic circle so its no sun during the day at this time of the year ;-)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjmVR29xxKM
              Very nice flying. I've seen guys here fly off a frozen lake and after landing, the plane continues to go what seems like "miles".

Comment

• I wish our lakes would freeze smoothly. We get too much snow for them to be nice runway surfaces.

I know I'm glad our hemisphere has turned the corner and the days are getting longer.

Comment

• I finally maidened the Mirage with floats. The maiden was quite scary as I rotated suddenly at the end of the smooth patch. The little bump on the snow drift didn't help either and the plane went nose up and headed for the clouds. Luckily, with all the power on tap, it kept going till I was able to level it out. The floats also made it badly out of trim on the ELE, but by the time the maiden was over, I got the thing trimmed out and knew which rates worked best (medium on AIL and low on ELE - this was with A3L gyro activated after trim). Landing was also entertaining as it really wanted to go very high alpha when the throttle was lowered. My last Mirage never did that so I think the floats may have contributed to this trait. Neverless, it floated in high alpha and with some application of throttle just before touchdown, it landed very nicely without damage. The second flight was much better with the rates chosen and gyro activated from the start. Take off is still challenging on the lumping snow but I was more prepared to level out after it left the ground. Even with those giant floats, the Mirage is a very powerful and very fast airplane. Here is the video of the 2nd flight.

Comment

• Nice! The floats make it look like a fast duck coming in for a landing!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                      Nice! The floats make it look like a fast duck coming in for a landing!
                      Make that a Canada Goose.

Comment

• Congratulations xviper! Are you happy with the results?

Comment

Congratulations xviper! Are you happy with the results?
                          Yes, I am. A "winter" jet needs lots of power and this one certainly has that.

Comment

Sweet! Nice cockpit! What did you use to get that heated metal nozzle look?
                            Actually it was all hand painted with acrylics

Comment

• Snowfloats for the win! Good idea and great that it worked, I think your winter just got a little bit better.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post
                                Snowfloats for the win! Good idea and great that it worked, I think your winter just got a little bit better.
                                It did! Not sure what the rest of winter will bring but the next week, it's supposed to get warmer (+7C). Too much snow to melt, though. I have 5 "float" planes. Tried skis once but didn't work out so well.

Comment

• Did fly this Mirage more. Nice plane with good performance and incredible good in hige alpha. Almost as good as the Gripen ;-)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1617531865059.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	307226Click image for larger version

Name:	1617531865100.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	307228Click image for larger version

Name:	1617531865075.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	307227Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20201002-WA0028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.4 KB ID:	307039Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20201002-WA0026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	307040
                                    Hi All This is What i did to my Mirage 2000.

3D printed detailed exhaust and Center burner,With t5he 3D printed canopy parts

Check it out.
                                    Last edited by Con Papaioannou; Apr 4, 2021, 04:31 AM. Reason: Added pics of canopy

Comment

• Does the Mirage do well on grass fields?

Comment

• Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                                        Does the Mirage do well on grass fields?
                                        Hi Afterburner

Yes it does! as long as the grass is not to high and cut short.

Comment

• Originally posted by Con Papaioannou View Post

Hi Afterburner

Yes it does! as long as the grass is not to high and cut short.
                                          And when the grass is long, it hand-launches easily

Comment

Working...
                                          X