Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

•  

Comment

• So I just received the L39, looks great! I am starting to hook up the electronics and have a quick question. Is there any need to program the ESC, I know sometimes you have to set the high and low settings using either a programming card, or the transmitter. I fly Futaba so I know I need to reverse the throttle, but other than that, is this ESC good to go?
      Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by HOSSINARIZONA View Post
        So I just received the L39, looks great! I am starting to hook up the electronics and have a quick question. Is there any need to program the ESC, I know sometimes you have to set the high and low settings using either a programming card, or the transmitter. I fly Futaba so I know I need to reverse the throttle, but other than that, is this ESC good to go?
        Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Mike
        IMO, no matter what plane you have (or what ESC is in it) or what radio gear you have, throttle calibration is always done as one of the very first things after you get the RX hooked up. Do it with the throttle trim as low as it will go. Mid-position is for liquid fuel engines that need to idle. Electrics don't need to idle.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          IMO, no matter what plane you have (or what ESC is in it) or what radio gear you have, throttle calibration is always done as one of the very first things after you get the RX hooked up. Do it with the throttle trim as low as it will go. Mid-position is for liquid fuel engines that need to idle. Electrics don't need to idle.
          So when I power this ESC up, I will have the stick and trim at their lowest setting, then what?

Comment

• Originally posted by HOSSINARIZONA View Post

So when I power this ESC up, I will have the stick and trim at their lowest setting, then what?
            Not quite. I take it you've never done a throttle calibration before?
            First, bind the plane to a new model in the memory, with the proper type of plane and wing type already programmed, throttle trim lowered to the bottom. You will hear a set of beeps once the bind is complete and the ESC has energized. Now, take out the bind plug, disconnect the battery from the plane, keep the TX powered up. Now, raise the throttle stick to max and plug the battery back into the plane. As soon as you hear the first set of beeps, lower the throttle stick to the bottom and you'll hear the ESC initialize, finishing off with the number of beeps to indicate how many cells in the battery. Done. As long as you keep this TX on this model memory and the same RX, you should never have to do this again.
            However, if you are too slow and allow the ESC to go into programming mode (the next set of beeps), DO NOT do anything with the stick. Just disconnect the battery and try again.

Comment

Not quite. I take it you've never done a throttle calibration before?
              First, bind the plane to a new model in the memory, with the proper type of plane and wing type already programmed, throttle trim lowered to the bottom. You will hear a set of beeps once the bind is complete and the ESC has energized. Now, take out the bind plug, disconnect the battery from the plane, keep the TX powered up. Now, raise the throttle stick to max and plug the battery back into the plane. As soon as you hear the first set of beeps, lower the throttle stick to the bottom and you'll hear the ESC initialize, finishing off with the number of beeps to indicate how many cells in the battery. Done. As long as you keep this TX on this model memory and the same RX, you should never have to do this again.
              However, if you are too slow and allow the ESC to go into programming mode (the next set of beeps), DO NOT do anything with the stick. Just disconnect the battery and try again.
              Cool, thanks for the info, I will give it a shot!

Comment

• Pull the esc programming instructions from Motion and go through the complete option settings. Ask me how I know........I used the same radio profile as my Avanti and getting 4.5mins on 6250ma. I set time to 3:45 on the L39 using 5000ma. First few flights were less than 2.5 and hitting LVC. I went through and reprogrammed the esc using the throttle stick and now I'm back at 4.5 mins on this jet even with a 5000ma bat.
                As for throttle range set, yes for sure initial and rebind then you should be set.

Comment

• Could someone provide a link to the ESC manual please? Found the product but couldn't find the manual

Thanks

Jeremy

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                    Pull the esc programming instructions from Motion and go through the complete option settings. Ask me how I know........I used the same radio profile as my Avanti and getting 4.5mins on 6250ma. I set time to 3:45 on the L39 using 5000ma. First few flights were less than 2.5 and hitting LVC. I went through and reprogrammed the esc using the throttle stick and now I'm back at 4.5 mins on this jet even with a 5000ma bat.
                    As for throttle range set, yes for sure initial and rebind then you should be set.
                    Thanks for helping out however, I just spent 45 minutes looking at Motion's site for programming instructions for the Freewing 100 AMP ESC that is in the L39, and cant find a thing. They sell a programming card which is out of stock, but no where do I see any sort of programming instructions?
                    Do you remember where it was listed, maybe it's no longer available on their site? Anyway, I will keep looking around to see what I can find.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jez_AU View Post
                      Could someone provide a link to the ESC manual please? Found the product but couldn't find the manual

Thanks

Jeremy
                      I just looked all over the place on Motion's site and could not find anything, if you find something please let us all know.

Comment

• Use the one for the Avanti S. It's the same ESC. You just gotta use a little detective work.

Comment

Use the one for the Avanti S. It's the same ESC. You just gotta use a little detective work.
                          https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...iles/fwesc.pdf
                          Thank you!!

Comment

• Thanks viper, I'll fly as your wingman any time:)LOLLOL

Comment

• I disagree with viper about putting the trim all the way down, I use mid trim. That said I don't think it matters as long as you do what you do consistently.

The next thing is program a throttle cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                I disagree with viper about putting the trim all the way down, I use mid trim. That said I don't think it matters as long as you do what you do consistently.

The next thing is program a throttle cut.
                                That's OK, too. I've noticed on some brands of planes and ESCs, if the throttle trim is left alone at mid-point, it thinks the throttle is slightly open and it won't arm. Some Eflites were like that. Dropping the trim allowed them to arm. I just lower the trim on all planes now so there's no longer a concern about the ESC thinking I'm trying to idle an electric motor.
                                The throttle cut thing should be mandatory on all aircraft. Could save a couple of fingers. I haven't flown RC liquid fueled planes but isn't the throttle cut used to shut the engine off after the flight is over? For non-RC, I used to just throw a large towel at the prop to stop it. :Not-Talking:

Comment

• Ha! Towel... Spek has the cut off at -130% which is proper for a glow motor that has it's low throttle at -100% or, in your case, an electric where you put the trim all the way down which is -130%.

If you are electric and mid trim the cut off should be set at -100%. The reason is if you calibrated at -100/ +100 and plugged in with the throttle cut on (at -130%) some ECSs remember that point and turning the throttle cut off (-100%) it could jump to a low throttle.

We just had a person at my field loose his thumb so things do happen if you are not careful. His was glow but an electric is actually more dangerous because it's sitting there silently waiting for us to make a mistake and it's full torque right now when it does.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  That's OK, too. I've noticed on some brands of planes and ESCs, if the throttle trim is left alone at mid-point, it thinks the throttle is slightly open and it won't arm. Some Eflites were like that. Dropping the trim allowed them to arm. I just lower the trim on all planes now so there's no longer a concern about the ESC thinking I'm trying to idle an electric motor.
                                  The throttle cut thing should be mandatory on all aircraft. Could save a couple of fingers. I haven't flown RC liquid fueled planes but isn't the throttle cut used to shut the engine off after the flight is over? For non-RC, I used to just throw a large towel at the prop to stop it. :Not-Talking:

Comment

Use the one for the Avanti S. It's the same ESC. You just gotta use a little detective work.
                                    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...iles/fwesc.pdf
                                    Thanks, you must be a secret agent ;)

Comment

• I need to print up some of those UB-16 rocket pods and dirty up the cannon. This bird loves to knife edge!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC04642.JPG Views:	0 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	204427
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• its one of your best planes yet Alpha

Comment

• Just finished the maiden and 4 more flights, what a great flying plane! The only thing I will comment on is the roll out, I fly off of a paved 700 foot runway, and once I touch down it almost takes the full length to stop, even if I set down at the very beginning. I am using flaps and come in fairly slow.
                                          Has anyone found a way to put some sort braking device on the main wheels, I was thinking of some type of "O" ring on the axle to rub a bit on the wheel hub and the landing gear strut, other than actual brakes I don't know of a way.
                                          Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                          X