X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 80mm EDF L-39 Albatros Thread

We at Motion RC are very proud to announce the new L-39 from Freewing, coming very soon to MotionRC.com and then MotionRC.eu . This is a bird like many others before it has been tested and developed in a joint and exclusive venture between ourselves and Freewing, and it's amazing to finally be able to let the cat out of the bag on Project 'Hoot' (more on Hoot in a minute). A particular favorite of mine personally and one of the best flying EDF's to come to market, the L-39 is hands down one of the most enjoyable and versatile EDF's to fly out there (check out the flight review shot here in the Netherlands below to see for yourselves).

Project 'Hoot':
    Our code name for the L-39 is in honor of life long aviator and model pilot Robert Lee "Hoot" Gibson. Robert is one of the most remarkable flyers of our time, having amassed close to 14'000hrs flying time on over 150 types of aircraft, in both a military and civilian capacity and most noticeably as a commander of of the STS-61-C NASA mission to space in 1986, and the first of only four people under the age of 40 to command an STS Orbiter. As for his involvement in Project Hoot, we wanted to recognize his storied career in aviation, not just as a pilot and astronaut but as an educator and someone who has always worked and volunteered in many areas to inspire others to fly. When the opportunity arose to develop a model he's raced at Reno --one of his many feats-- we reached out to him to advise on the project and he graciously lent his expertise and experience with the L-39. It's because of generous and kind people like Hoot that we're so honored to be a part of this hobby, and why we did our best to spotlight his efforts for generations to come by producing a project that bears his name.

The model:
    "Sport Jet performance in a Scale Jet package" is our motto for the L-39 and this phrase sums it up perfectly. With the L-39 you get all the flight performance of the Avanti with all the scale detail you can desire from the Freewing range of 80mm EDF's (more even with the 3D printed scale upgrades), it really is the best of both worlds. A huge driving force behind the decision to make the L-39 was to widen the diversity of our product lineup to a worldwide audience like we did with the MiG-21 2.5 years ago by making a non-US bird that can be dressed into hundreds of potential liveries and is GRASS CAPABLE, as we recognize our growing international customer family (now with motionrc.eu serving the whole of Europe) often operate on grass.

Combining the sport performance of the Avanti and the fidelity of scale aircraft like the A-4 and MiG-21, Freewing continues the legacy of its excellent performing 80mm EDF jets with its Freewing 80mm L-39C/Z Albatros! Developed originally by Aero Vodochody in the 1960s in what is now the Czech Republic, the Aero L-39 Albatros excelled as a jet trainer platform with its powerful turbofan and overall reliability. The L-39 and its successive variants continues in service throughout the world in militaries as trainers and light attack platforms, and in civil aviation including aerial demo teams and racing.

The Freewing L-39 Albatros is the largest and most capable production PNP L-39 in the world. Optimized for high maneuverability and precision flying, the L-39 truly is a "Sport jet wearing Scale jet clothing". The Standard Version uses a powerful 3530-1850kv brushless motor and 100A ESC to power the 12 blade 80mm EDF. This is the same power system as the popular Freewing 80mm Avanti Sport Jet, so pilots know this is a proven system.

The Freewing L-39 Albatros includes grass capable suspension landing gear, a full coverage nose door, scale wingtip lights, scale tiptank landing lights that activate when the gear is deployed, and easily removable tip tanks, ordnance, belly gun pod, and wings. Only one glue joint is required to complete the model's general assembly. A plastic lined cockpit also resists deformation under sunlight, and optional 3D Printed cockpit detail upgrade parts are also sold separately.

Visit the Official Freewing L-39 Albatros Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.

Product Specifications:
    Wingspan: 1054mm / 41.5in
    Length: 1351mm / 53.2in
    Weight: 2200g / 77.60oz (w/o battery)
    Power System: 3530-18507kV Brushless Outrunner Motor
    Electronic Speed Control: 100A, EC5 Connector
    Fan: 80mm 12-Blade EDF

Features:
    Sport jet performance in a scale jet package
    Flies as smooth and rock solid as our popular Avanti S
    Grass-ready shock absorbing oleo struts and electric retracts
    Plastic-lined canopy to prevent bubbling or "gatoring"
    Large cabin for easy access to battery and receiver
    New Multi-function control box (MCB-E) for better wire organization

Requires:
    6 Channel radio - select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
    6 Channel receiver - select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
    6 Cell 22.2V 4000 mAh or 5000 mAh LiPo Battery with EC5 connector - we recommend the EPR40006PRO
    Minimum 6 Cell battery charger - select a minimum 6 Cell battery charger from our Battery Collection

Ladies and gents I can guarantee the L-39 will become a firm favorite in any modellers collection, and it will be your go to EDF I assure you. We have two here in Europe and James and his team have some in the US so look out for more media on this incredible bird whilst we await the arrival of stock in the MotionRC warehouses. And don't forget, as this is the official thread, this will be the place to see exclusive pictures and updates first as we lead up to release so be sure to subscribe to both the thread and our social channels. To start with more pictures will follow later today.

Thank you all, look forward to the comments and discussion.

Stuart.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...9-albatros-pnp

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...9-albatros-arp

3D Printed parts:

MotionRC is all about choices and with the 3DP upgrade parts the choice is all yours ;) Files will be available to download on the top tab of the listing for free for printing yourselves or alternatively they will be available to purchase under the upgrades tab and should come with a bass white ready for your own finishing paint. Below are examples of the 3DP parts painted by Alpha with just a few hours work. I think you can all see the results talk for themselves:

Stuart

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC2052.JPG
Views:	9588
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	149887

Name:	_DSC2168.JPG
Views:	9099
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	149888

Name:	_DSC2173.JPG
Views:	9023
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	149889

Name:	_DSC2180.JPG
Views:	8740
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	149890

Comment

Mine is ordered!

Comment

Reserved...

Comment

Does this use the same power system as the Avanti S?

Thanks,
          Don

Comment

Another one for the ever-growing EDF hangar!
            Any word on flight duration with this bird?

Comment

Originally posted by dfordham View Post
              Does this use the same power system as the Avanti S?

Thanks,

Don
              It is, so you already know how good the performance will be stock. Like many of you, I love flying the Avanti, but now with the L-39, my preference for scale models is now fully satisfied ;)

S.

Comment

On the admiral 5000mah 6S pro we're getting 4+ mins of flight time with mixed throttle use. The airframe will happily take a bigger battery however so you will have some head room to play with. You'll be able to see first hand once the flight review is up in the next hour or so. Will post above when it is.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by meadowhay View Post
                  Another one for the ever-growing EDF hangar!
                  Any word on flight duration with this bird?
                  The others can weigh in here as well, but here in China, all our flight testing was done on Admiral 6s 4000s and 5000s. The L-39 flies those two batteries about the same duration as the Avanti because the L-39 can be flown like a Sport Jet with very mixed throttle. Unlike some of our heavier wing loaded scale jets, the L-39 doesn't need a high throttle setting to cruise --50%-60% is common for me. Depending on the conditions, my normal demo routine is the same as the Avanti --5 minutes from rotation to touchdown.

​​​​​​As with all our EDFs, we recommend setting your timer to 2.5 minutes for the maiden flight, then increasing your timer over subsequent flights based on your own performance requirements until you're landing at a consistently safe voltage.

I think an increasing number of our customers fly the Admiral telemetry receivers, so they don't have to guess what their battery voltage is. Sometimes it's fun to leave it at full power and land shortly, sometimes it's fun to stretch out and glide.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Awsome! Will go pre order now!

Please Alpha, can you give details about the box size and weight? I need to do some freight cost calculations to my country.

Xie Xie/Thanks

Comment

While Stuart handles the particulars in Post #1, want to also share a photo from my side of the production line from a couple weeks ago. We were very keen to withhold the pre-order until the shipment had already left. As always, we're grateful for everyone's support of our initial pre-orders for incoming models, and we know that you have other choices so keeping the waiting time as short as possible before we begin selling a product is very important to us. Thanks for your support and trust.

You're going to love this bird!

Attached Files

Comment

By watching the pop -ups on the Motion site these are going fast !!

Comment

Almost makes we wish I had held off on the red Avanti but I'll keep it on the list. Another great effort. Hats off to Alpha and team Motion !
                          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

We are lucky enough to be taking a close look at this one for a review to appear in Model Aviation magazine! A few glamour shots of the new L-39.

Sent our EagleTree eLogger with GPS sensor attached up for a flight to record telemetry data. Winds were probably about 5-6 MPH. Upwind passes are 102-106 MPH ... downwind passes are 108-115. Average them out and she is legitimately a triple digit speeds capable model! (click on photo for a larger image)

Last edited by Bajora; Sep 7, 2018, 10:34 PM. Reason: Telemtry data added

Comment

How do you order the luxury version mentioned (with the inrunner)? Is it available for preorder? What will be the price?

Comment

Originally posted by wcessna View Post
                                How do you order the luxury version mentioned (with the inrunner)? Is it available for preorder? What will be the price?
                                Hi Wcessna, good question and welcome to Hobby Squawk! Our team optimized the L-39 around the popular Avanti's power system, which is well known for its performance, speed, reliability, and efficiency. Flying the more expensive inrunner version head to head with the stock PNP, we just didn't feel the inrunner added a significant enough flight experience and so opted to fill the first shipment with the PNPs and ARFs seen on our website. We've noticed that in recent years, as we've developed more and more models, most of them end up being the stock PNPs because the balance of cost and performance (and weight) are generally in favor of the stock PNPs. Where there are specific models where we really think the added cost adds to the model, we'll offer that version on our website. Many of the Squawk members will laugh when I say this, but I'm the guy who leads our development team so I'm partial to the power system we choose as stock PNP and so it's probably no surprise that I often encourage our customer family to try the stock PNP before deciding if it's worth spending more money. Strange, I know, that someone would tell you to buy the less expensive version. But it's my honest opinion.

Of course, we always invite customers to share their feedback with us, so if you were set on the inrunner version, let our CSTeam know at 224-633-9090 and they'll keep a list of interested parties and perhaps something could be arranged for our next shipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post
                                  By watching the pop -ups on the Motion site these are going fast !!
                                  I know what you mean. I watched 3 of them get taken while checking the specs and looking at the photos of this one.

Note to Stuart, Aros, or whoever keeps track of the website. The link for the manual is not working. It's also leaving stuff in the cart after checking out. I ordered some parts last week (got them already) and when I added the L-39 to my cart this morning found I had it as well as the previous order. I removed those and processed the pre order. After getting the order confirmation from Motion and Paypal receipt went back to the site and still had the L-39 in my cart. (I removed it so as not to throw your inventory off) You might want to look into this though.
                                  My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

The order is placed... :Cool:

Comment

In the first post it says Hoot has 1400 hours of flight time, I think that should probably be 14,000 hours.

Comment

Must resist the urge to preorder...... Preorder done.

Comment

Working...
                                        X