Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn’t call a 15’ range check a brown out but I’d that’s what you think ? Ok I’ll agree to disagree. We are talking about having outlawed orange ,lemon, and admiral rx at our Flying field because they just don’t work for some reason. Now I have had AR620s do the same thing and radio is now at horizon getting a signal check with all 3 types of receivers to see what’s going on. I have already had a dx8 gen2 replaced Once already for this same issue. Is it radio? Is it something in the area causing issues? I can’t say but I can tell you we have at least 3 go down every weekend for “ no signal” “ I ain’t got it” crashes . Take it as it is

Comment

• Well, two crashes, two years apart, same field, same mistake. No more Su-35 for me. I've owned almost every other Freewing jets but somehow just can't handle the Su-35 properly. I know when to call it quits .
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrthog View Post
        I wouldn’t call a 15’ range check a brown out but I’d that’s what you think ? Ok I’ll agree to disagree. We are talking about having outlawed orange ,lemon, and admiral rx at our Flying field because they just don’t work for some reason. Now I have had AR620s do the same thing and radio is now at horizon getting a signal check with all 3 types of receivers to see what’s going on. I have already had a dx8 gen2 replaced Once already for this same issue. Is it radio? Is it something in the area causing issues? I can’t say but I can tell you we have at least 3 go down every weekend for “ no signal” “ I ain’t got it” crashes . Take it as it is
        I can't speak for your club, but I've seen plenty of "The plane wasn't responding" crashes that most certainly were pilot error or orientation issues at my club. Brownout is the RC equivalent of a snipe or witch hunt. It's something easy to pin an accident on when you don't know what happened. Not saying this is the case with your club, but at mine I'd say half the "it's not responding" are the pilot stalling the plane and not recovering it properly before it kisses the earth. They lack the knowledge and skill to recover it properly, so to them the plane "isn't responding" as it zooms towards the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrthog View Post
          I can’t say but I can tell you we have at least 3 go down every weekend for “ no signal” “ I ain’t got it” crashes . Take it as it is
          Let me guess, all the "I ain't got it" crashes are Spektrum guys?

Comment

• Actually yes, never seen a futaba go down Hahahhahahah. It is what it is I’ve lost 3 with admirals and decided to go with BEC systems and proper receivers. Caps are used on all my planes to be redundant, especially with high amp draw edfs ( which is all I fly) 🤷‍♂️It is what it is

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
              I've used Lemon 10-ch RXs for several years. Both have had the corresponding satellite RX. Of note: The first gen of Lemon 10-ch were DSM2 and even with the sat, it was not consistently reliable. The later ones that came as DSMX with DSMX satellite have been problem free. Also, don't mix a DSMX RX with a DSM2 sat. That's just asking for big trouble. Even though the newer "diversity" antennas claim to not need a satellite, I like the assurance of having one anyway.
              As for minimum # of channels needed for this plane if you want the TV ...........................
              Thank you Sir!

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post

. What is the minimum CH required for SU-35?
                I use a Spektrum 8010T with 2 remotes, and find a good use for all of the channels. Never had a brownout in over 4 years of flying it.

I have flaperons and tailerons, and full time VT (simply Y'ed to the tailerons and rudders).

I find this configuration allows easy take off and landing, as well as flips, Kulbit loops, flat spins and tailslides without my having to work too many switches (just the gear switch which also enables the flap function of the flaperons)

Comment

• Hello all looking to try the edf thing once again had a 90mm f22 loved it all but the flight times looking to get a su-35 twin 70mm and use it two 3300mah 6s packs in parallel coming in at 890g for both and 6600mah what flight times are you all gettig for the 37 and with what packs?

Comment

• With Graphene Panthers (6S 5Ah, 870g) I get 3:30-4:30 min of intense aerobatic flying with packs coming back at 3,7-3,8 V/cell but I use 5 blade rotors on 2600kv motors, so not quite the same as stock power.

Comment

• I can't find any throw angle in the SU-35 manual. I only see the Elev install angle. What are you guys using for low and high rates?

Comment

• Check the pinned comment for my setup.

Oh, and there's cool stuff in the video too :p

Edit: Well, here it is for convenience:

Originally posted by RC4ever View Post
                        IMPORTANT INFORMATION! !!!CG MISTAKE!!! At 24:55 the RED line is the good one and the blue one the wrong one.
                        The texts are correct but reversed in color and placement, I am sorry for this mistake! Another mistake -> At 14:00, the gyro first three inputs should read Roll/Pitch/Yaw, not Roll/Pitch/Ele (For obvious reasons, I just had a couple neurones misfire on that one).
                        Additionally, I forgot to add a couple of things to this video, which would be the mechanical throws and the dual/rate - exponential setup on the transmitter. In short, this aircraft is extremely sensitive in the roll axis if you use ailerons + TV nozzles + tailerons for roll.
                        If you don't limit the throws and use exponential the plane could easily become unflyable. Use the full mechanical throws for the tailerons on pitch axis but limit the roll output and use A WHOLE LOTTA LOT expo to smooth it out.
                        Also never limit the throws of the thrust vectoring nozzles, leave those at 100% ALWAYS. Only reduce tailerons/ailerons throws if needed. Using dual rates on a three position swith I would reccommend something like this:

Dual-Rate Travel Limits FOR THE TAILERONS (and/or ailerons)
                        ROLL 50/60/100
                        PITCH 55/100/100
                        YAW 70/100/100

D/R Exponentials FOR ALL THE CONTROL SURFACES
                        ROLL 55/60/70
                        PITCH 50/65/65
                        YAW 20/30/30 (Precision flight/Aerobatic flight/Aerobatics+increased roll)

Additionally, it appears that TGY-306G servo has been discontinued. Possible suitable replacements are KST DS215MG and TGY DMC809 but I have not tested them yet... keep tuned!

List of contents:
                        0:00 - Video intro teaser
                        1:24 - 'Historical' context
                        3:48 - Packaging box
                        4:33 - Battery compartment mods pt.I (Extra hatch, foam removal)
                        6:43 - Removing factory installed wires/components
                        7:56 - Vertical stabs reinforcement with CF rods
                        10:28 - Servo upgrades
                        11:46 - Servo fitting for DS-939MG and TGY-306G
                        12:52 - Servo centering with servo tester
                        13:31 - Electronic components wiring diagram
                        13:44 - Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D gyro
                        15:21 - Component placement pt.I (Rx/Gyro/Antennas/Rx Battery)
                        17:33 - Component placement pt.II (SBUS decoders/UBEC)
                        18:54 - Replacing Y-wires with individual servo leads
                        19:32 - Optimizing wire length / making a clean installation
                        20:14 - Install EDFs, ESCs, close belly hatches
                        20:36 - Control surfaces pt.I (Gluing hinges)
                        21:20 - Control surfaces pt.II (Tailerons control horn upgrade)
                        22:21 - Control surfaces pt.III (Control linkages)
                        22:45 - Control surfaces pt.IV (Control surface mechanical centering)
                        23:51 - Control surfaces pt.V (Separate trims and flight modes)
                        24:27 - Center of Gravity CoG
                        25:04 - Control surfaces pt.VI (Additional trim notes)
                        25:57 - How to balance your aircraft (Nose heavy/Tail heavy)
                        27:31 - Adjusting the thrustline / Extreme CoGs
                        28:45 - Battery compartment mods pt.II (Nose gear reinforcement)
                        29:11 - Battery compartment mods pt.III (Extra velcro strap)
                        30:01 - Nose LG height / angle (If you have take-off problems)
                        30:19 - Quick detach, magnetic tailcone
                        31:00 - Useless weight
                        31:17 - Scale details
                        31:47 - Powerplant considerations / overal components' layout
                        32:04 - Outro

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                          Check the pinned comment for my setup.

Oh, and there's cool stuff in the video too :p

Edit: Well, here it is for convenience:
                          Thank you!! I have seen some of your videos, you create great content!

Comment

• Thank you!

Have a lot of cool new flights pending edit now... gotta find the time to get them through but I'm stuck editing a MAKS airshow video that is a bit more tricky to get done as it requires manual stabilization of the footage... keep tuned! :)

Comment

• This is beyond amazing...

Context: Team of pilots flying the Freewing Su-35 in FPV at the international 'Forum Army 2020' public event in Russia this past week alongside the fullscale jets!
                              The FPV images being broadcasted in real-time tothe public.

Merging traditional aviation and model aircraft... We need to see more of this around the world!

Attached Files

Comment

• And here's some further inspiration...

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                  This is beyond amazing...

Context: Team of pilots flying the Freewing Su-35 in FPV at the international 'Forum Army 2020' public event in Russia this past week alongside the fullscale jets!
                                  The FPV images being broadcasted in real-time tothe public.

Merging traditional aviation and model aircraft... We need to see more of this around the world!

WOW great video. I like how he has what appears to be a battery meter in the view of the camera. Lots of great videos on his site, just wish I could speak Russian LOL!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200901_130934[1].jpg
Views:	798
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	273032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200901_130915[1].jpg
Views:	771
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	273031 Impressive. Having been inspired by Air Guardians January Halcyon video I have now completed my Freewing SU35 with twin fms 70mm pro inrunners ( 5.2to 5.4kg thrust on all up flying weight of 3.45kg incl Turnigy 5000mah 60c 6 s battery and with the assistance of one of the my club flying friends have today programmed in the Thrust vectors. I just have to finalise spring adjustment on the oleos and she is ready to maiden.( thrust vectoring will be switched off for the first few flights).. just modified the colour scheme a little as attached. Any words of wisdom for my well manicured grass field take off would be appreciated. I intend to use 8mm of take off flaps and 16mm of landing flaps ( flaperons with restricted aileron throw so as not to max out the servos ) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200901_131058[1].jpg
Views:	840
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	273030

Comment

• That's so very cool!

Glad to see my video inspired you!
                                      Did you also see my build video?
                                      I have an entire piece on setting up the jet, fine tunning and reccomendations:

!!!CG MISTAKE!!! At 24:55 the RED line is the good one, not the blue... the texts are reversed, sorry!!Another mistake... At 14:00, the gyro first three inpu...

Regarding take-off from grass, I would rather leave TV on as you may need it to rotate depending on your grass.
                                      Flaperons definitely help too.
                                      Trick usually is to let speed build before pulling on elevator, otherwise they act as massive airbrakes adding to grass drag and the jet stays on the ground... or even worse, you end up producing a cobra take-off!

Comment

• thanks Air Guardian and yes I have viewed the build log many times, reinforced the battery bay, put cf rods in the vertical stabs, added back stops to all 3 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200907_102942[1].jpg
Views:	556
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	273095Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200907_103030[1].jpg
Views:	554
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	273096 oleos, set the tail 10mm down from the marking point and set the tvs 2mm spacing to impart nose up/tail down thrust when compared to original FW settings as per your video. Not using tailerons, tv on elevator, rudder and aileron. If using tv for take off I am going low rates for first flight, cg initially set 150mm back from joint on photo attached. Our field is pretty flat and my Hawk and Avanti take off no problem so with a 1.5 to 1 thrust ratio I should soon build up plenty of speed before easing back on the stick for take off. All I need now is a good flying day.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                                          Having been inspired by Air Guardians January Halcyon video I have now completed my Freewing SU35....
                                          I was also inspired by Air Guardian videos and got a SU-35. A friend helped with maiden flight couple of days ago. I used 6000 mah and she flys awesome! It's very gentle, much easier to fly than I thought. In terms of difficulty, I put it between E-Flight F-16 70mm and FW F-35. I got the desert camo and it looks great in air!

I am using an AR637T 6-CH RX, so no TV for now, once I get more comfortable with it, I plan to use Admiral 10-CH RX and A3S3 Eagle Hobby gyro. I also installed the nose gear brace from Wildvortex. The brace is a life saver. I have similar brace on my F-35 and it has saved the front gear/retract many times!

I noticed the ESCs get too hot and although there is an air vent right on them, there is no way for hot air to scape, so I removed the long narrow plastic and replaced it with a mesh to improve ventalation.
                                          Here are a few photos that show the nose brace, air vent and my other EDFs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200908_113821_resize_53.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	273305

Name:	20200908_113825_resize_48.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	273306

Name:	20200908_113522_resize_46.jpg