X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
    Thanks Paul, Mine is located far in port wing glove, maybe 60mm clear from the ESCs.

SU-4ever, I am using the stock internal BEC. I did notice that the setup not only did not have any ferrite rings on the servo wires, but both red wired were connected to the Servo connector. I am unsure if both ESCs have an internal BEC, or if the setup only has a single equipped BEC. Picture attached of the ESC from my first SU-35 that had signal loss on the maiden.
    Both ESCs have internal BECs, and both + leads are connected on my stock system. Measured no-load voltage from each independently = 5.40V (I disconnected them to make the measurements). Have been flying it for 4 years like that with no issues.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. I guess my next step is to replace the current receiver with one that is known NOT to experience these frequent brown outs. I have a few 7-channel receivers lying around from previously sold models to pick from

Comment

I suspect the Eagle A3 gyro can be ruled out, as the thrust vectoring is connected directly to the receiver, and I have zero control of the model during these brownouts.
        You can't rule out the gyro just because of this reason. When for instance the gyro is causing voltage drops, it doesn't matter what is connected directly to the receiver and what is connected to the gyro. While your receiver isn't responding, the gyro might still be functional? What did the model do during the brownout, did it just continue along its path or did it divert from it?
        Just to be sure, I would test the operation of the gyro by moving the model on the ground, trying to invoke current spikes caused by the gyro response, then monitor the receiver voltage (do you have an oscilloscope?)
        Another option is to temporarily remove or disable the gyro and see if you still get brownouts.

Comment

• Fair point. During these brown-outs, the plane continues on its trajectory. Yesterday, it was a very calm day with winds under 5mph, so the gyro should not have have been working very hard. I do not own an oscilloscope, but I have done abrupt movements of the model on the ground to test the gyro, but did not invoke a brownout. I do have a capacitor connected to a spare channel as well.

Another point to add to this discussion. On the original maiden flight for the airframe/Rx that motion RMA'ed I was flying without the gyro enabled and capacitor installed. Yet it still had a brownout. If I test it without a gyro, I will physically remove it from the plane to rule it out.

Comment

• Maybe it's just one specific servo that is drawing excessive current? That might pull the BEC voltage below a threshold that makes the receiver shut down temporarily.
            That's the reason why I like to use devices like the Frsky RB-20, which offers current protection per channel: if one channel draws excessive current, that channel is then shut down, to protect the receiver from this sort of brownout. It also offers dual power supply and dual receiver.

Comment

Thanks Paul, Mine is located far in port wing glove, maybe 60mm clear from the ESCs.

SU-4ever, I am using the stock internal BEC. I did notice that the setup not only did not have any ferrite rings on the servo wires, but both red wired were connected to the Servo connector. I am unsure if both ESCs have an internal BEC, or if the setup only has a single equipped BEC. Picture attached of the ESC from my first SU-35 that had signal loss on the maiden.
              Are you still using the Admiral Rx? We have had several instances in our club over the past several months of signal loss** in models equipped with NEW Admirals. No issues with older ones.

** to be accurate, temporary loss of control may be due to factors other than loss of signal - the RF could be working fine but the Rx firmware may have a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Are you still using the Admiral Rx? We have had several instances in our club over the past several months of signal loss** in models equipped with NEW Admirals. No issues with older ones.

** to be accurate, temporary loss of control may be due to factors other than loss of signal - the RF could be working fine but the Rx firmware may have a problem.

Crash/Airframe #1 had the Admiral Rx +Sat. Airframe#2 had a replacement Admiral Rx+Sat. I experienced the issues on both airframes, and replaced it with a Lemon Rx (basically an Admiral).

To your point, I am assuming the Admirals, and even the Lemon are a part of the same batch.

my 2 year old 7-ch Lemon that has 70 logged flights on my FW F-16 will be swapped in to test it out.

Comment

Crash/Airframe #1 had the Admiral Rx +Sat. Airframe#2 had a replacement Admiral Rx+Sat. I experienced the issues on both airframes, and replaced it with a Lemon Rx (basically an Admiral).

To your point, I am assuming the Admirals, and even the Lemon are a part of the same batch.

my 2 year old 7-ch Lemon that has 70 logged flights on my FW F-16 will be swapped in to test it out.
                  "Basically" in this case, is a very broad term. Admiral RXs are Lemon RXs with some tweaks and modifications as directed by MotionRC. Incorporating those tweaks, something happened (not necessarily in a good way). One can't say that a bunch of Admirals and a bunch of Lemons came from the same batch as they go through different steps in the process.

Comment

• Yup, meant in a very broad term. Im just suspicious that both 10 channel Rx are experiencing the same issues while the rest of my planes with a similar 7-ch have been problem free for years at the same flying site

Comment

Yup, meant in a very broad term. Im just suspicious that both 10 channel Rx are experiencing the same issues while the rest of my planes with a similar 7-ch have been problem free for years at the same flying site
                      I've been using the Lemon version exclusively for years. Note that when Lemon first started out, their RXs were DSM2. Now, they are DSMX and DSMP, with the DSM2 still available. I've had mishaps with the older DSM2's but have never had issues with the newer MX and MP RXs. Also, I try to get RXs that have the matching satellite RX. The ones I've used that are the diversity antennas WITHOUT a satellite have shown the occasional hiccup.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        I've been using the Lemon version exclusively for years. Note that when Lemon first started out, their RXs were DSM2. Now, they are DSMX and DSMP, with the DSM2 still available. I've had mishaps with the older DSM2's but have never had issues with the newer MX and MP RXs. Also, I try to get RXs that have the matching satellite RX. The ones I've used that are the diversity antennas WITHOUT a satellite have shown the occasional hiccup.
                        Just wanted to emphasize that the guys in our club having Rx problems have been with recently manufactured Admirals, not with Lemons or older Admirals. Admirals have different firmware from the Lemons.

Comment

• I can't buy any product called a "lemon". There's just too much emphasis on it actually becoming a "lemon". I originally almost departed from Spektrum to try "Orange" RX's, but I read a lot of notes about issues there. Then the "lemons" came rolling in. Not too many issues, but then some noted. Then, the Admirals were the new "hot ticket". Didn't buy any of those either. I just buy Spektrum and have only had one small glitch in 10 years.....

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                            I can't buy any product called a "lemon". There's just too much emphasis on it actually becoming a "lemon". I originally almost departed from Spektrum to try "Orange" RX's, but I read a lot of notes about issues there. Then the "lemons" came rolling in. Not too many issues, but then some noted. Then, the Admirals were the new "hot ticket". Didn't buy any of those either. I just buy Spektrum and have only had one small glitch in 10 years.....
                            That's your western cultural connotation of the word. In Asia, they used the name "Lemon" because its flower is sweet and fragrant. It's no different than "Orange". It's all in the mind of the end user (and the limitations therein) and has nothing to do with what the product may or may not be in terms of quality, form and function.

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                              I can't buy any product called a "lemon". There's just too much emphasis on it actually becoming a "lemon". I originally almost departed from Spektrum to try "Orange" RX's, but I read a lot of notes about issues there. Then the "lemons" came rolling in. Not too many issues, but then some noted. Then, the Admirals were the new "hot ticket". Didn't buy any of those either. I just buy Spektrum and have only had one small glitch in 10 years.....
                              Back in the early '80s I created the first R/C flight simulator (it was marketed by Dave Brown Products - some of the older folks may remember it). I wanted to call it "Fly-by-Night" software but was was persuaded that it would not be a good name for marketing.

In retrospect I think it was a good name.

Comment

• In my club I know of 2 incidents with these Admiral receivers last summer.
                                In one case, brand new model, brand new receiver, very capable and experienced pilot; on takeoff, model rolled uncontrollably to the left and crashed hard into the ground. Pilot had no control. Model was a complete write-off, he threw away the receiver in rage.
                                Second case, new Freewing T-33, third flight, model was up high, pilot lost all control for a couple of seconds. He regained control and landed safely, we were not able to reproduce the problem on the ground. He added a capacitor to the power supply lines, hasn't had any problem since.
                                Fact is, we never really established the true source of the problems, but for the T-33 it seems to be solved.

Comment

• I’ve had 2 bad Admiral/Lemon Receivers in the past 5 or so years. One was just like the first scenario you described but I was airborne and climbing out after takeoff. It got about 100 yards away and flew away in a slow aileron roll until out of sight. I did find “it”, but it was basically a few spare parts at that point. The other was a bad solder on channel 7. I obviously found it while setting up in the airplane and I removed it never plan on it being used outside of testing parts on the ground.

Comment

• Joined the club this week, thing is an absolute rocket with FMS 1900kv inrunners, had to back the timing off to ease the load on the packs but still > 1:1 thrust/weight.

Basically followed Airguardians build guide with a few bespoke 3DP bits and pieces to better support the gear on grass ops. A3L pro on the TV servos. 3 coats of gloss takes the rough finish of the EPS.

What a cool jet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201107_082151.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	284717

Comment

• mshagg , Great looking Flanker. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Well done mshagg !
                                        Now I want to get a set or two of those FMS PRO fans myself, lol!

New crazy Su-35 vid!

Even managed to get take-off wheelies, but that was more luck than skill... still looked wicked! :D

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                                          Joined the club this week, thing is an absolute rocket with FMS 1900kv inrunners,
                                          Isn't it just? And the price is right.

Even more important, it doesn't lawndart!

Comment

Working...
                                          X