Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

It IS worth your money.

But we know you're special. So special that It is worth your money.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

But we know you're special. So special that It is worth your money.
      Yup. I guess I'm not that special so it ain't worth that kind of money to me.

Comment

• Geez Radford, way to make life difficult for yourself lol.

The A3L is a bit of a pain because you can't reassign the input channels to the 9-16 range for sbus (only 1 through 8), which is presumably what you'd be trying to achieve using an S8R + sbus output. So you'd need a second Rx (X8R bound CH 9-16) and plug it's outputs (13-16 keeping in mind the S8R reserves channels 9-12 for gyro controls) to the hobbyeagle. Messy and counter to your goal of simplification lol. That's how I have the mig set up but the roll stabilisation is only active on the ailerons.

I think jandros setup with gyro stabilised nozzles and no gyro for the rest of the plane is a good one for the flanker. It would make your life much easier here too - one X8R and an A3L.

If you really want stabilised tailerons and delete the ailerons one option would be to get your hands on the F-14 mixing board which accepts 'regular' elevator and aileron inputs and mixes them together. This was how I had the tomcat configured with an SR8.

Comment

• I still have to make a fully stabilized setup with tailerons+nozzles. Have not done it yet. Will document it as best as possible when I get there. Haven't been in a rush though. :p

Comment

I still have to make a fully stabilized setup with tailerons+nozzles. Have not done it yet. Will document it as best as possible when I get there. Haven't been in a rush though. :p
            Should be straightforward with a Spektrum AR8360T **

1 Throttle
            2 aileron
            3 taileron 1
            4 rudder/yaw VT (I see no reason to separate these)
            5 gear
            6 taileron2
            7 pitch VT1
            8 pitch VT2

With some programming finesse all the control surfaces + VT can be stabilized

When they release the long awaited 10 channel version, flaperons and yaw VT can be separated out too.

** I'm doing something similar with an 8360T in my Gripen, with elevons, canards, rudder and VT all stabilized.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
              Geez Radford, way to make life difficult for yourself lol.
              Au Contraire... making life easy. Vector nozzles Y'ed to the elevator and rudder servos; A3L set to "delta wing" and connected to the tail servos. Horizontal stabs, rudders, and vector nozzles all moving together. It just took some thinking to come to the realization that this will serve me best. The wing will be setup for flaps only...no aileron function. If I'm not happy I will revisit the setup.

Comment

• Problem is, among other issues, you will have to limit the gain to avoid oscillations, but this will make post-stall stabilization less effective.

Comment

Hey, hi!
                  Su-4ever from RCG here!

I finally decided to open a Hobbysquawk account after watching a few streams by Alpha on twitch/discord so thought I'd drop by around here too to chime in...
                  ...and there's my build video! Hahaha! Thanks for sharing Dee!

If anyone has any questions or doubts about my setup, I will be happy to help!

Notice there are some mistakes on the video and info I added later so better read the pinned comment and video description to get it all, corrections included!

And since we're at it, here's a couple of my personal favourite videos on the Su-35:

Air-to-air FPV filmed post-stall aerobatics (Chased with a quadcopter by a friend):

FPV sortie in split screen:

FPV Formation flying with a 3D printed P-38

And lastly, some more 'raw' extreme-aerobatic flying (slow-mo and music edited though):

Hopefully will get similar videos with the new MiG-29 once it gets here!

Cheers all!
                  Jandro.

First of all thanks for all the work you put into sharing the videos, tips and setups.
                  I have gone through you videos and posts.
                  I am almost ready to pull the trigger on getting the SU-35 before the Gripen or Rafale.
                  This will be my stepping stone to the new MIG 29.
                  I would be starting out with traditional aileron and tail setup and then grow into talion setup.
                  My biggest concern in is the Quality of EPP foam. I am still relatively new. I have no prior experience with EPP foam.
                  I will be putting 2 -3 layers of polycrilic on the entire airframe. after I go over the upgrades you mentioned.
                  Is there anything I should be aware of ?

and lastly DO I just save up and wait for MIG-29 to be in stock again ?

Thanks

Comment

Problem is, among other issues, you will have to limit the gain to avoid oscillations, but this will make post-stall stabilization less effective.
                    I do understand. Nothing has been done that can't be changed. I will fly it and see how I like it. I'm sure you understand that not all of us have the skills to need absolute maximum performance.

Comment

• I understand what you say, but in my opinion is not a matter of skills, as in 'more skills granting the benefits of good setups' but instead 'good setups helping everyone regardless of your skill'. This is debatable of course, but that's where I stand ;)

Of course, if you are not doing a lot of post stall, it will not be a big issue for you to have less gain on nozzles, and it can offer a good compromise solution, that we can agree on.

Originally posted by aamz13 View Post
                      First of all thanks for all the work you put into sharing the videos, tips and setups.
                      Thanks, it's appreciated! :)

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on getting the SU-35 before the Gripen or Rafale.
                      This will be my stepping stone to the new MIG 29.
                      I would be starting out with traditional aileron and tail setup and then grow into talion setup.
                      I think you could directly go with taileron setup, it makes the jet fly better. Need to use a lot of roll expo or at least limit roll throws though, but it's worth it.

My biggest concern in is the Quality of EPP foam. I am still relatively new. I have no prior experience with EPP foam.
                      EPS*, EPP is another, heavier foam formula. EDF jets are not made of EPP as they would come out too heavy.
                      EPS (what the Su-35 is made of) gets hangar rash more easily but it offers better mechanical properties, allowing the jet to be lighter, which is a big thing.

I will be putting 2 -3 layers of polycrilic on the entire airframe. after I go over the upgrades you mentioned.
                      Is there anything I should be aware of ?
                      I wouldn't. You will be spoiling a great deal of what makes this jet great. More so being your first one, fly it as is and keep it light is your best option IMO.

and lastly DO I just save up and wait for MIG-29 to be in stock again ?
                      Different birds, both of them worth it in their own ways. I am biased towards the Su-35 though, so I'd say, go for it, and get the MiG-29 later on once you are confident with the Su-35.
                      At some level the MiG-29 is easier to fly and land, but overall the Su-35 is much more forgiving for mistakes, and more capable in aerobatic terms.

Comment

That's one rough runway.
                        If you think thats rough wait till you see me fly

Comment

I understand what you say, but in my opinion is not a matter of skills, as in 'more skills granting the benefits of good setups' but instead 'good setups helping everyone regardless of your skill'. This is debatable of course, but that's where I stand ;)

Of course, if you are not doing a lot of post stall, it will not be a big issue for you to have less gain on nozzles, and it can offer a good compromise solution, that we can agree on.

Thanks, it's appreciated! :)

I think you could directly go with taileron setup, it makes the jet fly better. Need to use a lot of roll expo or at least limit roll throws though, but it's worth it.

EPS*, EPP is another, heavier foam formula. EDF jets are not made of EPP as they would come out too heavy.
                          EPS (what the Su-35 is made of) gets hangar rash more easily but it offers better mechanical properties, allowing the jet to be lighter, which is a big thing.

I wouldn't. You will be spoiling a great deal of what makes this jet great. More so being your first one, fly it as is and keep it light is your best option IMO.

Different birds, both of them worth it in their own ways. I am biased towards the Su-35 though, so I'd say, go for it, and get the MiG-29 later on once you are confident with the Su-35.
                          At some level the MiG-29 is easier to fly and land, but overall the Su-35 is much more forgiving for mistakes, and more capable in aerobatic terms.
                          This was helpful. Keep it light start with the best setup possible.

I plan on using the Stock Power System.
                          For the radio setup I have the NX10 , it will be paired to a 10CH Admiral RX and a Hobby eagle or NX3 Evo Gyro.

It will not give me the luxury to have rudder brakes, or to have a switch to activate or deactivate the gyro, but those are the things I can work around. All the 10 channels will be used as mentioned below :
                          1> Throttle
                          2> L Aileron
                          3> R Aileron
                          4> L Taileron
                          5> R Taileron
                          6> Both rudder in a Y harness
                          7> L TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                          8> R TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                          9> TV Nozzle (Yaw)
                          10> Gear

I do not have prior experience with PPM / PPS / or S-BUS
                          I there a way to have more channels with my NX-10 to allow me to use rudder brakes and a switch for the gyro.
                          With the DSMX protocols is it even possible ? What should I be researching S-BUS ? PPS ? Just a pointer in the right direction will be appreciated a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by aamz13 View Post

This was helpful. Keep it light start with the best setup possible.

I plan on using the Stock Power System.
                            For the radio setup I have the NX10 , it will be paired to a 10CH Admiral RX and a Hobby eagle or NX3 Evo Gyro.

It will not give me the luxury to have rudder brakes, or to have a switch to activate or deactivate the gyro, but those are the things I can work around. All the 10 channels will be used as mentioned below :
                            1> Throttle
                            2> L Aileron
                            3> R Aileron
                            4> L Taileron
                            5> R Taileron
                            6> Both rudder in a Y harness
                            7> L TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                            8> R TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                            9> TV Nozzle (Yaw)
                            10> Gear

I do not have prior experience with PPM / PPS / or S-BUS
                            I there a way to have more channels with my NX-10 to allow me to use rudder brakes and a switch for the gyro.
                            With the DSMX protocols is it even possible ? What should I be researching S-BUS ? PPS ? Just a pointer in the right direction will be appreciated a lot.
                            Since you are using an NX10, I strongly recommend that you set up the airplane type (wing, tail) from the setup menu and use the default port assignments which you can find from the channel assignment menu. It will save a lot of hassle in setting up mixes, switches, flaperons (if desired) etc. and will give the same outcome.

Comment

Since you are using an NX10, I strongly recommend that you set up the airplane type (wing, tail) from the setup menu and use the default port assignments which you can find from the channel assignment menu. It will save a lot of hassle in setting up mixes, switches, flaperons (if desired) etc. and will give the same outcome.
                              Yup that's what I will be doing, Sorry that was just a count of channels not a channel assignment list.
                              I kept counting How many I will need as I drove to work. It made it easy by putting it down in a list

Comment

• Rudderbrakes are not really needed, although they are useful to shorten rollout on paved runways.
                                Remember you MUST reinforce the stabs, or glue them in if you plan to use rudderbrakes or they will break in mid-flight and make you crash.

I am not familiar with your radio gear, but assuming 10ch is your limit... I'd rather link vectored yaw with rudders and have wheel steering on a separate channel for convenience.
                                Mechanically trimming the nose-wheel direction is a huge pain.

1> Throttle
                                2> L Aileron (For flaperon use)
                                3> R Aileron (For flaperon use)
                                4> L Taileron
                                5> R Taileron
                                6> Both rudders in a Y harness + TV Nozzle (Yaw)
                                7> L TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                                8> R TV Nozzle (Pitch)
                                9> Wheel Steering
                                10> Gear (with sequencer for the doors)

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

I crashed a few by stalling on takeoff too. Same exact break points. A little balsa filler, clear coat, and paint will get it back to new.
                                  I now use larger packs and turned down the rates for takeoff. Problem solved

Comment

• I now have the Freewing SU 35 ready to have it’s first flight was too tail heavy going to maiden it at 155 mm C of G . You used lower rates on take can you let me know what throws you have please. I think I have far to much elevator thank you .

Comment

• The Su-35 is not tail heavy at 155mm.

Maybe tell us more about your setup?

Sounds like you didn't use a proper amount of expo.

Comment

• Hi just using standard set up no flaperons but I think I had at bout 165mm . Moving the C of G to 155mm to try again cut throw down on the elevator what expo would you use . Set the VT on a switch at the moment on the elevator and rudder and added a hobby eagle gyro . Hope you can help .👍

Comment

• I have detailed pretty much everything here already:

Read video description and pinned comment, there is relevant info there too.

In any case, pitch-expo is typically good between 55 and 65%

Comment

Working...
                                          X