X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats on maiden!

Whoa... have been there (with the brownouts) and it's NOT fun.
    Be sure to triple check everything, loose connections, power supply... are you running the plane from ESC BEC or separate UBEC?

In my case (also with the Su-35), nothing appeared to be wrong after losing signal twice right in front of my face... thorough inspection of the jet showed all was fine, even range tests were okay. Made a few test flights and all was good. Flown almost 100 flights since without issues. I bet we had a vehicle with jamming equipment passing by on the highway by our field as another quad that was flying with me also suffered from rx issues about the same time and went down.

Do you have any highway closeby?

As for the pitch sensitivity, part of it is natural to the Su-35, and sure, a gyro will help with that, but you will be better off programming expo on the tx than turning VT off.
    How much expo/throws did you have in yours for your maiden?

Let's see if we can get it nailed! : )

Comment

• From my live FB feed

Well, I hadn’t flown the SU-35 for almost 2 years!

Put some work in on it, and grafted a 2 seat canopy on, then took it out to fly.

10-20mph winds and she handled it like a champ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
        Congrats on maiden!

Whoa... have been there (with the brownouts) and it's NOT fun.
        Be sure to triple check everything, loose connections, power supply... are you running the plane from ESC BEC or separate UBEC?

In my case (also with the Su-35), nothing appeared to be wrong after losing signal twice right in front of my face... thorough inspection of the jet showed all was fine, even range tests were okay. Made a few test flights and all was good. Flown almost 100 flights since without issues. I bet we had a vehicle with jamming equipment passing by on the highway by our field as another quad that was flying with me also suffered from rx issues about the same time and went down.

Do you have any highway closeby?

As for the pitch sensitivity, part of it is natural to the Su-35, and sure, a gyro will help with that, but you will be better off programming expo on the tx than turning VT off.
        How much expo/throws did you have in yours for your maiden?

Let's see if we can get it nailed! : )
        Thanks!

I am running the plane from the built-in ESC BEC in addition to a capacitor. This is a brand new admiral receiver that I received as part of the RMA from my first SU-35 maiden loss so I am very caution about using this brand. There is a 2-lane road roughly 200 meters away. Last time I have experienced a brownout was 3 years ago, and that was later identified as an electrical fault from a poorly crimped Y-harness (my fault making it)

I have 30% expo programmed for aileron and elevator. I'll bump it up to 50% on the next flights..

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
          just need to put in stronger spring on the front oleo ( Its not a Freewing front leg ) and better elevator servos ( again I did not use not freewing originals but othe ones I chose are ok with 3kg torque but a bit notchy so I am trying the Turnigy DMC809 19.5gm 3.8kgf .07 sec digital metal gear ball bearing servos .
          Hi guys,

I knew from Airguardians videos that the stock elevator servos aren't the best and after ten flights I do agree, so time for something else. paulrkytek are you happy with the Turnigys and what nose gear are you using?
          Does anyone else have any suggestions for other easy swaps of elevator servos?

During a skidding landing, which turned into a go-around, my left main gear took a beating with the tyre coming off and leaving me to land on the plastic rim... After some wild skidding it came to a stop facing 90deg off, phew!
          I have the opportunity to fly off both grass and asphalt, but the club with the grass is much more active with many fellow pilots but the grass isn't always as short as I would wish, even if I help mow it when I have the time, so I have decided to swap the landing gear, for the mains I think I will get the F15 main gears for better grass capability. The front I'm not sure about, I've looked at the list of aircraft that uses the same front servo since scale is not a factor, I want it to perform better on grass, has anyone tried something that works well?

The nose gear candidates are A4, T33, Mig 21 and some more. There are no dimensions on motions site, so I've only looked at the pictures to guesstimate if they will fit. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
          /Tobias

Click image for larger version

Name:	su35 mlg1.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	275804Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35 mlg2.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	275805

Comment

• Tobias, its early days yet on the Turnigy servos but they are precise and quick enough for me and i just wedged them into place with balsa at one side and on top before screwing down the lid.
            I increased the dia of the third hole out from the servo arm centre to take he wire elevator linkage. As far as retracts go I used the freewing retract servos on front and mains to ensure matching polarity and sequencing. I used HK oleos but they are heavy duty and have 5mm dia pin holes( bought them in a sale) so I added alloy tube to ensure snug fit on freewing 4 or 4.1mm pins, The rear oleos were 75mm long ,69mm dia wheels and I picked the nose leg to suit and give me a good angle of attack for take off on grass and they now work fine but it did involve a bit of time and effort to set up and get the best spring rate and ride height for the final all up weight of 3450gms so I guess it depends on how much spare time and patience you have. I also added some 6mm ply backstops to all 3 oleos to help take the strain off the pins for the occasional less than perfect landing !! If in doubt I suppose you could simply stick with the stock Freewing units but add some restraint to the rear of the oleos. Also you can usually find the Freewing oleo/unit lengths in the spares section of the model on their website if you click on the unit and check out the Q&A`s

Comment

• Even when I operated from grass I kept the nose strut stock. The F-15 mains should be a good improvement though ;)

As for servos, my reference go-to was the TGY-306G that is no longer manufactured.

Because of this, I have been researching new servos now for quite some time and I just placed an order with a hell lot of high-end servos that are not crazy expensive to test out:
              KST DS215MG, ALZRC DS452MG, TGY DMC809, VOTIK 9495/9497 MG-D, JX PDI-1151(/71/81)MG...
              Any of these should be able to improve substantially over the stock servos. In adition, a few of these are 300Hz capable, so for those using good gyros, that's also a thing to consider.

I have not flight tested any of them yet so can't give feedback in that regard, but have the DMC809s around here already which look fantastic and had a friend made a comparison of the KST to the stock servo, video here:

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
              I am running the plane from the built-in ESC BEC in addition to a capacitor.
              I would seriously advise AGAINST using ESC integrated BECs. Lost way too many jets to that already, not worth it.
              Get a separate UBEC (8A continuous minimum), my 2 cents ;)

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
              I have 30% expo programmed for aileron and elevator. I'll bump it up to 50% on the next flights..
              Yep, that's too little. 50-70% is more where it's at for this bird IMO (Depending on throws).

Comment

• Sit back and enjoy the show!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	F69E3632-7A11-4056-8967-CDC91DE66955.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	276351
                  Finíto! Finally got the canards on and painted with my custom 2 seat cockpit.

I couldn’t stand the Christmas green so dulled it down, and matched the faded yellow up on the nose, with careful blending of yellow, white, khaki, and a drop of red. Will eventually airbrush the exhausts and weathering.

For now, off to the St George Electric Fun Fly for a bunch of great flying/weather and people!

Will post pics and specifics of my conversion after the fly in.

Comment

• 40s of full WOT... There you have it, 'how to start a proper flight'!

Comment

• The SU-35 is my favourite jet of the summer. Tomorrow I maiden the Mig-29, but without TV I doubt it will overtake the SU's place in my heart just yet.

Comment

• Another set of flights with my 'hellish screech EDFs from the abyss of the void'

Comment

• And the fun goes on!

Comment

• Finally the gear (pun intended) has arrived. Actually it arrived awhile ago, but other things took precedence. Anyway, I have now mounted the Freewing F15 main gears into the the Su35. It was a drop in fit except they were both pointing toe-out. After some Dremel-action they are now straight and it is on to the next modification, the elevator servos. I bought the TGY DMC809, looking forward to dial it in with those, wasn't too happy with the elevator feel of the model, will work with my expos and rates to find my own sweet spot. I'm also thinking of changing the servo-horns on the TV-elevator to get some more vertical movement.

There is also a picture of my bench-battery solution which makes it very easy to work with my models powered up on the bench. The battery is a 1800mah/4S (because that's the one that was closest to grab) with XT60 connecting via my XT60-XT90 cable to the model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35_toe_out.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	281022Click image for larger version

Name:	su35_toe_adjust.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	281023Click image for larger version

Name:	su35_gear_down.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	281026Click image for larger version

Name:	su35_gear_up.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	281024Click image for larger version

Name:	su35_new_elev.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	281025Click image for larger version

Name:	easy_bench_battery.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	281027

Comment

• It's taken a while but my FPV Su-35 is back in the air, kicking ass!

Comment

• This was from late 2019, early 2020 with stock 12b EDFs:

Comment

• Added air intake and exit scoop to improve cooling of battery and esc as per pics attached Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201027_180058[1].jpg
Views:	546
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	282714Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201027_180120[1].jpg
Views:	535
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	282715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201027_180154[1].jpg
Views:	523
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	282716 Ignore battery its just for balance I normally use Turnigy 5000mah 60c heavy duty

Comment

• I made 4 more flights today, but still experienced signal losses that almost caused me to crash. From the previous outing, I have relocated the receiver and satellite even further from the battery pack, and installed a large amount of ferrite chokes per the discussions on the MiG-29 thread by GliderGuy.

I'm running out if ideas as to why I am only having this issue with the SU-35 while my other planes do not have this problem flying in the same area. I'm open to any suggestions for extra troubleshooting or remediation.

I suspect the Eagle A3 gyro can be ruled out, as the thrust vectoring is connected directly to the receiver, and I have zero control of the model during these brownouts.

Comment

• Hmmm... how are you providing power supply to the electronics?
                                      ESC BEC, separate UBEC... ?
                                      I go with separate UBEC and Rx battery on all my jets.

The only ferrite chokes on mine are the ones that came installed on the ESCs (Skywalker 80A on one jet, Hobbywing 100A Platinum Pro V4 on the other) and the ones installed on the separate UBECs. The rest seems to be fine without it on my jet.

I place receiver antennas to the sides of the battery compartment, as far out as possible.

The satellite in the back may be dangerously close to the ESCs/EDFs, it's the only thing that comes to mind here.

Comment

• dont know if this helps Dirty Dee but I have simple flysky 10 channel rx, no satellite no gyro, located n void to left hand side of battery when viewed from front, 1 ariel vertical( projecting above battery into hatch cover as can be seen in my last post above your post (red wire) and 1 ariel horizontal in the void at right angles towards the wing. rx is min 50mm clear of escs and min 75mm away from separate bec. which itself is min 75mm away from main escs

Comment

• Thanks Paul, Mine is located far in port wing glove, maybe 60mm clear from the ESCs.

SU-4ever, I am using the stock internal BEC. I did notice that the setup not only did not have any ferrite rings on the servo wires, but both red wired were connected to the Servo connector. I am unsure if both ESCs have an internal BEC, or if the setup only has a single equipped BEC. Picture attached of the ESC from my first SU-35 that had signal loss on the maiden.

Comment

Working...
                                          X