Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynam Me 262 Questions

Hello All:

I just bought one of the Dynam Me 262 from Motion and I have a few comments/questions. I have four flights on the plane and on the fifth flight one of the SkyLord ESC's failed.

1. I was wondering if others have had the ESC's fail? If so, what were the conditions or why do you think it failed? If yours failed did you replace it with the same item or did you buy a different brand?
    2. Has anyone put a watt meter on their 262 and if so how many watts were you putting out and what was the current draw?

Thanks,
    Ed

See my review on MotionRC for making the airplane perform better.

Never had an ESC failure in my Dynam Me262s (had 2)

But I have had issues with a couple of their ESCs in other models.

My answer is to replace any problem ESC with Castle Creations. (usually Thunderbird series, but the 262 would push the Thunderbrd 54 to its limits)

On my airplanes, I drilled 5/16 inch holes through the gunports as ram air intakes, then carefully relieved foam around the battery to allow air to get by. Finally an appx 2 inch square air outled behind the wing in the belly, cutting the foam at a bevel so it acted to help draw air out.
    It does not take much airflow through the fuselage to provide a huge amount of cooling to the ESCs. This may be what made my ESCs survive.

First Me262 survived a bit over a hear and I shed the tail-planes pulling a half-reverse cuban 8 (45 up, roll inverted and pull through back to level) Estimated impact at 120 mph. (fans, ESCs, retracts and servos survived)
    Second ejected the battery and canopy when I was doing an outside loop. (canopy, fans, ESCs, retracts and servos survived, aircraft shredded by a tree)

I may have posted wattmeter readings.... I'm not 100% sure of that. I did post some readings somewhere of the Dynam Me262 and Freewing F-14.

I'm building a 107 inch Me262 that will use 2 X 5000 watt 5 inch fans
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by edwarda10pilot View Post
      Hello All:

I just bought one of the Dynam Me 262 from Motion and I have a few comments/questions. I have four flights on the plane and on the fifth flight one of the SkyLord ESC's failed.

1. I was wondering if others have had the ESC's fail? If so, what were the conditions or why do you think it failed? If yours failed did you replace it with the same item or did you buy a different brand?
      2. Has anyone put a watt meter on their 262 and if so how many watts were you putting out and what was the current draw?

Thanks,
      Ed
      It pull nearly 100 amps! Be careful it eats up 4 cells. Make sure you spread the esc’s apart so you get some air passing by them. An yah, drill out the guns in the nose to get some air flowing and make sure you cut an exhaust hole also. This plane is slightly under engineered, but you know, it’s a Dynam.

Comment

Not even close to 100 amps...
        60 amp ESCs

I typically used 4S 4000 20C, sometimes 4S 3300 20C, I managed to stuff in a Turnigy 4S 5000 20C with some foam cutting.

108 mph out of the box on 4S 4400 20C.
        Never got a good speed reading after mods.
        Mods were more for maneuverability than speed, so not much (if any) difference expected.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
          Not even close to 100 amps...
          60 amp ESCs

I typically used 4S 4000 20C, sometimes 4S 3300 20C, I managed to stuff in a Turnigy 4S 5000 20C with some foam cutting.

108 mph out of the box on 4S 4400 20C.
          Never got a good speed reading after mods.
          Mods were more for maneuverability than speed, so not much (if any) difference expected.
          I have this plane, comes with two 50 amp esc’s and pulls a combined 97 amps, measured it, fly it, own it. I use a 4s 5000, and this jet does not go near 108 mph......cmon.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. After my ESC failure I found a couple of older 60 amp ESC's and installed them in the plane to get some data. I put a watt meter on my plane and got 675 watts at 51 amps using a 4S 5000 mah 30C battery. This reading was between the battery and both of the ESC's. I thought this was very low on power but yesterday I took the plane out for attest flight and it did not have enough power to get airborne so I think the old ESC's are not up to the task.

I have used Castle and YEP ESC's in my 10S and 12S setups for my 127mm Dynamax and Turbax fans but they are 100, 120 and 160 amp units and too big to fit and a lot of overkill. A few days ago I contacted Motion and explained the problem. After some discussion they have decided to ship me a replacement set of ESC's for the plane. I will install them and see what I get for power and current readings. I know that with my larger EDF's I did a calibration of the ESC to the transmitter and I was wondering if any of you have performed a calibration on your ESC's for your Motion EDF's? If so, what was your procedure? Have any of you used any of the HobbyKing ESC's (like Turnigy)?

Fhhuber,I did read your post on Motion and found it helpful and insightful. I am not new to EDF's or jets but am new to the small 70mm size foam planes so I am just trying to glean some info from those of you having this plane.

Thanks for all your help,
            Ed

Comment

Just thought I would share an update. The previous tests were done using an older group of 4S 5000 mah batteries. This morning I did some additional testing. Using a Turnigy Plush 60 amp ESC and testing each fan individually I got 525 watt per fan @ 39 amps each using the older 4S packs. Using the same ESC and same individual test and a 4S 6000 mah battery I got 700 watts @ 46 amps. I went back to the older ESC's I had in the plane yesterday and 875 watts @ 59 amps (this setup is with each of the ESC's tied together like they come from the factory).

My plan is to run the same test (both ESC's tied together as they come from the factory) as soon as the replacement ESC's arrive from Motion. I would like to see if I get more than the 875 watts as above.

Fredrick: Two of my friends have the Dynam 262 and they both lost one or both ESC's so after they replaced the ESC(s) the cut some vent holes in the bottom of the fuse and drilled out the gun port holes. I did the same thing after the first flight when I noticed that the factory ESC's were pretty warm.

Thanks again to all for your help and input. I am new to the forum and I find a lot of useful info here.

Ed

Comment

I also cut out squares of heat shrink over the heat sinks on the ESCs...

I probably prevented the ESC failures by improved cooling.

Its also likely I got good motors.... Dynam/Detrum motors are inconsistent.

But I'm not the only one to get 105+ straight from the box. I bought mine AFTER watching a youtube of one being clocked at 110.

This was the maiden flight of this Dynam ME-262. I never had to trim it while in flight. 2 3300mah batteries, 2 80amp Dynam ESC's, Stock EDF and motors. High...

Not seeing the video I saw about 4 years ago...

Comment

I actually moved the esc to the wings in the same location and Freewind ME-262, not a problem now. :Cool:
                  AMA 424553

Comment

I had thought of cutting some of the heat shrink off as I have done on other ESC's but I did not do that. Had not thought of moving the ESC's to the nacelles. RRHandy, can you post a photo(s) of you relocation?

Thanks,
                    Ed

Comment

Ed, here you go.
                      AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
                        Ed, here you go.
                        Thanks very much for the reply and photo. Those look like some of the same ESC's I tried out yesterday. I believe I got them from Hobby King about 5 years ago. Mine are 60 amp units.

Thanks again,
                        Ed

Comment

Those are actually from the first freewing 6s system that I put in and them found that I could not get the battery in with out much foam cutting so I put the 4s fans back in.

Ron
                          AMA 424553

Comment

4X 3S 2200 mah fits the Dynam Me262 with no issues. Serial a pair for each fan.... (don't do it to the OEM Dynam fans, if the motors survive it will shed blades.)

Comment

I made the mistake once and put a 5s in and not just a motor but the esc went cloud nine real fast, so I now. Thanks for the info.

Ron
                              AMA 424553

Comment

Guys, I have another question regarding the Dynam 262. A few weeks ago I crashed my Dynam 262 and it did not look like I could repair the plane so I ordered new fuse and wing ( The tails and nacelles were out of stock) and was going to take the usable parts from the crashed plane and make one composite 262. After looking at the broken plane I decided to glue everything back together and I now have a plane that flies as well as it did before the crash. So, I now have the Dynam 262 fuse and wings and am planning on ordering the stabs and fin (I have fans, ESC's, retracts , etc) but I do not like the look of the "non scale" nacelles so I was thinking of putting the Freewing 262 nacelles on the Dynam wing. Has anyone tried this and if so did you encounter any problems?

Thanks,
                                Ed

Comment

ed, I have had two dynam 262's the first was rock solid. I had the esc's in the fuse and I lost one of them which lead to the lose of the plane. the second one I put 2x plush 80amp esc's Velcroed to the inner side of the nacelle just forward of the landing gear. they flow it fine, they never came down warm. but plush's act like they have a higher resistance than other esc's, when used in other planes the system (motor, esc, battery) drew 1/4 less amps on a plush than any other esc. I have used the esc's that came with the 262's in other planes and they have been solid.

the free wing 262's is what I have now, the nacelles screw on to the wing so you would have to make hard points in the wing or shave off the tops of the nacelles to fit your wing and epoxy them. but fw nacelles are made for 6s and the forward opening is small with a cheater hole IDK how that would work on 4s. I think the exit is also smaller but never measured it.

Joe
                                  Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Joe:
                                    Thanks so much for the reply and for all of the info. For the "new plane" I have purchased two of the 80 amp YEP esc's and will probably put the in the bottom of the wing just inboard of the nacelles. I have used the YEP's in my 10S and 12S fans and found them to run very cool and because they are "free running" they seem to allow the motors to run cooler.

I have seen the info on the FW 262 regarding them being for 6S however, if they are running 70mm fans then the only difference would be the motor KV and possibly the impeller. If it is a 70mm fan then they all require about the same intake area. I have a friend who crashed his Dynam 262 and is going to order the FW 262 so I will wait to see what the nacelles look like before deciding on which nacelles to use.

Thanks again for the reply.

Ed

Comment

Just tried my 262, getting uneven power from the fans, right engine puts out way more thrust, can’t even think of flying it, pulls hard to the left

Comment

I can't remember if this plane runs off two separate batteries, one for each ESC, but whether or not, sounds like one of the ESC's is out of calibration. Now, to calibrate a prop plane, you turn on the radio, push the throttle to full and then plug in the planes battery, when the esc beeps at you, you pull the throttle all the way off, then it should run the normal cell count beeps. Can't see why the same method would not work for the jets as well. I've never had one go full throttle and try to take off, either with the prop planes or the Avanti, but play it safe and have it anchored down and hold on to it.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X