Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome necroscope! Love that series BtW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
      Hi from the UK. I have just purchased an F-22 from Motionrc after deciding that my E-Flite F18 was never going to rotate safely on grass (still need to sell her actually).

Looks like i have some catching up to do, all 144 pages of it. Thanks in advance for any assistance i need on the build and RX choice.

Stay safe guys and happy flying when we are allowed out again.
      Necroscope Again welcome to Squawk, you can also find more info on our Youtube channel as well. Here is a link to the build video we did upon its release:

Its a pretty straight forward assembly for this jet and she flies like a solid trainer would. But you can grow with her as she can also perform some sweet aerobatics when you are ready.

Again, welcome and have fun with it!

Comment

• Right that's 145 pages all caught up on.......phew.

There is some great work and information back there, but as this is my first Freewing i hope i can be forgiven for still being confused (maybe lost is a better word).

I fly with a DX8 G2 and I've always thought it good practice to stick with the same manufacturer for the RX. With that in mind and having had good experience with AS3X I'm looking to stay with the AR636.

Way back on page 72 i think it was i saw some gain values for the AR636, does anyone else have any success stories with the F-22 and the AR636?

If possible can someone share their AR636 location in a photo? Can i expect any problems with nose wheels not turning when using the AR636?

The F-22 turned up today, so i will finish the build this weekend. What i can say is, she is BIG. Have a good weekend guys and stay safe.

Comment

• To answer your question, you wont have any issues running the 636. I have an AR9350 in mine because I wanted tailerons on takeoff and landing, as well as separate ailerons. The gain does not need to be high with this plane... its probably one of the easiest to fly. I adjust my gain in flight to get it where it doesn't wag the tail at high speeds. As for location, mine is underneath the battery tray. There is plenty of room under there, its not going to break free in flight, and its the closest you're going to get to the CG. You can leave about a 12" servo connection plugged into the bind port so after you replace the wood cover there will be easy access to programming.

Being as you are using a DX-8 you will have 2 (virtual) channels when using the AR636. Same as if you have an iX-12 and use a AR7350 (shown below)... being as the Spektrum TX is 12 channels, you can use those additional transmitter channels to program additional functions without taking a slot in your RX. I put my FLIGHT MODE switch on one of those, and use the AS3X settings page on your TX to select a trim switch to adjust gains in flight. FM1 is OFF, with Absolute selected. FM2 is my normal fly around setting. Yoiu need to have Relative selected if you want to be able to increase/decrease gain in flight. FM3 is for emergencies... like having a control surface come loose (its happened). The gain settings will remain the same for both FLIGHT MODES separately.

You might already know all this... just thought it was worth sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post
            To answer your question, you wont have any issues running the 636. I have an AR9350 in mine because I wanted tailerons on takeoff and landing, as well as separate ailerons. The gain does not need to be high with this plane... its probably one of the easiest to fly. I adjust my gain in flight to get it where it doesn't wag the tail at high speeds. As for location, mine is underneath the battery tray. There is plenty of room under there, its not going to break free in flight, and its the closest you're going to get to the CG. You can leave about a 12" servo connection plugged into the bind port so after you replace the wood cover there will be easy access to programming.

Being as you are using a DX-8 you will have 2 (virtual) channels when using the AR636. Same as if you have an iX-12 and use a AR7350 (shown below)... being as the Spektrum TX is 12 channels, you can use those additional transmitter channels to program additional functions without taking a slot in your RX. I put my FLIGHT MODE switch on one of those, and use the AS3X settings page on your TX to select a trim switch to adjust gains in flight. FM1 is OFF, with Absolute selected. FM2 is my normal fly around setting. Yoiu need to have Relative selected if you want to be able to increase/decrease gain in flight. FM3 is for emergencies... like having a control surface come loose (its happened). The gain settings will remain the same for both FLIGHT MODES separately.

You might already know all this... just thought it was worth sharing.

Thanks loadmaster, that's very helpful.

Comment

• Thought I would share my refinished F22. Filled in all panel lines, followed by new paint. This was based on RcGeek’s techniques.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dnn View Post
                Thought I would share my refinished F22. Filled in all panel lines, followed by new paint. This was based on RcGeek’s techniques.
                What did you use to smoke the canopy?

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post

It’s the factory color. The 90mm version already has smoked canopy.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post

SF, If you want to 'smoke' a canopy try Tamiya X-19 "Smoke" Clear Acrylic paint and spray on the inside of the canopy in 2-3 very light coats. It works very well. Local hobby shop or Amazon at $3.50 + shipping. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	51nX6pCYI9L._AC_.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	246649

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Dnn View Post
                      Thought I would share my refinished F22. Filled in all panel lines, followed by new paint. This was based on RcGeek’s techniques.
                      DN, Superb repaint. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Love that repaint!
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I’m looking for instructions concerning installing the trust vectoring parts that Jeremy Solt has on his plane. I bought the plastic parts from Andrew O’luaghlin. Excellent workmanship. No instructions. Would like to know size of servos, ie. torque and if metal gears needed. What push rods used. Also how to connect this up to receiver. It looks like I need a reversed servo as well. Due to set up. Do you need two channels for mixing or connect with Y servo lead. Any help would be appreciated. I assume this has been covered here but I can not find it. Thanks guys
                          gary webb

Comment

• What are the plastic parts you speak of?
                            I eventually want to do this to spice F-22 up a bit.. but also because quarantine.
                            Evan D. will probably chime in, he did this on his but linked it to the elevator servos so it's running all the time. I'm considering this method although not sure how performance is on non thrust vectoring needed inputs, like landing.

Originally posted by Gary9648 View Post
                            I’m looking for instructions concerning installing the trust vectoring parts that Jeremy Solt has on his plane. I bought the plastic parts from Andrew O’luaghlin. Excellent workmanship. No instructions. Would like to know size of servos, ie. torque and if metal gears needed. What push rods used. Also how to connect this up to receiver. It looks like I need a reversed servo as well. Due to set up. Do you need two channels for mixing or connect with Y servo lead. Any help would be appreciated. I assume this has been covered here but I can not find it. Thanks guys
                            gary webb

Comment

• I bought the kit from printaircraft.com . The owner is Andrew O’laughlin. This is where Jeremy Solt purchased his. Really nice workmanship. Just no instructions.😩

Comment

• I was the first to put TVs on the F-22 but did it without 3D printed stuff. I made torque arms and linkages to the existing stab servos so no extra servos were needed. Since I fly with tailerons I also get roll out of them.

Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UtXjl_rg4c

.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1743.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	246797Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1744.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	246798Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1759.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.5 KB ID:	246799

Comment

• Thanks, I just cut the fixed nozzles off and fitted the new variable ones in place. I am now waiting on servos, control rods and titanium paint before I install them permanently and add control rods. I purchased one normal and one reversed servos. Both metal gear servos. I will use a switch to turn the vectored thrust on and off.

Comment

• Does anyone have a paint match (Tamiya preferably) for the leading edge light gray?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	12239DEC-A9FB-42F5-BEF6-2F8DB491FF64.jpeg
Views:	741
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	246996 I have this...

Comment

• Interesting, when you get it up and running please post photos or some video if you can!

Originally posted by Gary9648 View Post
                                        Thanks, I just cut the fixed nozzles off and fitted the new variable ones in place. I am now waiting on servos, control rods and titanium paint before I install them permanently and add control rods. I purchased one normal and one reversed servos. Both metal gear servos. I will use a switch to turn the vectored thrust on and off.

Comment

• You bet! I took photos with my IPhone but have to send them to my computer so I can use them. Seem that iPhone photos are not compatible with windows.hmmm apples and oranges I guess

Comment

Working...
                                          X