Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's exactly how I balanced mine. I think the rates were just a little too high, and it was blowing pretty good that day. I installed the A3 super 2 by fabricating a plywood shelf above the Battery....Check it out.

Comment

Good spot for it since it's about as close to CG as you could get it in this model. One of these days I'm going to break down and try a gyro myself.
      My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

This is my first. Always thought I didn't need one, until I saw how stable some of the planes at my club are with the guys who are using them. They say that once you use one, you'll want one in all of your planes, so I thought I would give it a try.

Comment

Scooter,
          great job! I have the A3L's in several of my edf's but not yet in the Yak-130. I love this plane. Best value around for the price and I have the F5,A6,Stinger 90, Mig-21, F/A-18 , coming soon A-10 and a few 70&64mm jobs

So, I may try to copy your innovation.

Thanks for sharing !

Hawk

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I'm ordering one of these today. I had quite a few options I was thinking about, but this always catches my eye when in browse motionrc. I have had it with that damn 64mm saber. I just can't get it to fly correctly. From what I understand the little saber is a tough plane to keep in the air sometimes, but the saber is my all time favorite airplane. The 80mm will be in my hangar soon, but I'm not a club member here yet, so I need a park sized plane. This beautiful plane will look good with my lightning II. I'd rather this be a frogfoot, but nobody makes them, and this is pretty similar.

Anybody have any recommendations? Stuff they wish they had done before they built it?

Comment

You'll love this plane and she doesn't take a backseat to the 80mm speed-wise. One of my faves and I have the A6, F5, Mig-21, Stinger 90and several other 64 and 70's.

If you do want a good hand launcher to have around, I highly recommend the FW 64mm F/A -18. A blast and cheap.

On the Yak, make sure the elevator servo wires are tightly connected before you glue the aft section. You have one shot at it. Once glued, it will be near impossible to get at those connections.

Thats is the only gluing. Goes together easily and quickly.

I fly off grass. Routinely use take-off flaps to shorten the roll. I take off with mid rates and switch to low after raising gear and flaps. On high rates she roll like a drill bit.

You could do the oleo strut mod but I still use the chicken legs. The trailing struts look cool but....

On landings, come in at a shallow approach angle. If you're too fast and too steep, she'll bounce.

Have fun. One of the best values out there! 200 bucks ? C'mon.

Hawk

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

I decided against it. I'll wait for the big A-10. I just think I'll stick the F-35 for having a smaller plane. I might get the 90mm yak someday, or the 70mm if the F-35 takes a hit that cant be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjkeith13 View Post
                  I might get the 90mm yak someday, or the 70mm if the F-35 takes a hit that cant be fixed.
                  Unless you have a long, long runway (smooth would be nice, too), you'll be sorry. The 90mm Yak is a big hippo. It barely has enough power to get out of its own way. However, if you're planning on going 8, 10 or 12 cell, then sure (but big money). The 70mm is a much more satisfying flying machine.

Comment

Hmm. Well maybe I'll look at something else for 90mm. How's the big F-15 and F-18 fly?

No F-16. I'm tired of seeing F-16s everywhere. I'd love to see a F-22 or F-35 in 90mm. Moreso the 35. I've fallen head over heels for the F-35.

Comment

Hmm. Well maybe I'll look at something else for 90mm. How's the big F-15 and F-18 fly?

No F-16. I'm tired of seeing F-16s everywhere. I'd love to see a F-22 or F-35 in 90mm. Moreso the 35. I've fallen head over heels for the F-35.
                      I have the 90mm F-16. It's the same as the big Yak - too big and heavy unless you go more cells. I also have the 90mm F-18 and it's really nice, has lots of power and flies great. Another really nice 90mm is the Stinger 90. Take a look at the upcoming Avanti 80mm. It'll be even better than the Stinger 90 - slightly bigger, lighter, faster better retract struts and "cheap". I've heard the F-15 is also heavy and underpowered and needs more thrust. Find YouTube videos on all of these and decide for yourself.

Comment

I decided against it..
                        I think your robbing yourself of a great flying experience by passing on this 70mm yak. I absolutely Love it ! 199.00...it doesn't get much better, with great visibility, sturdy retracts, tons of power, and just plain fun to fly.

Comment

Look at the 90mm Venom...Totally awesome Jet out of the Box...Probably Best performing 90mm & easy to Fly Jet Freewing has to offer..

Comment

Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Look at the 90mm Venom...Totally awesome Jet out of the Box...Probably Best performing 90mm & easy to Fly Jet Freewing has to offer..
                            Oh, yeah, forgot that one. I've been flying mine lately and it's become one of my favs.

Comment

I'm ordering one of these today. I had quite a few options I was thinking about, but this always catches my eye when in browse motionrc. I have had it with that damn 64mm saber. I just can't get it to fly correctly. From what I understand the little saber is a tough plane to keep in the air sometimes, but the saber is my all time favorite airplane. The 80mm will be in my hangar soon, but I'm not a club member here yet, so I need a park sized plane. This beautiful plane will look good with my lightning II. I'd rather this be a frogfoot, but nobody makes them, and this is pretty similar.

Anybody have any recommendations? Stuff they wish they had done before they built it?
                              I have also been considering either the 70 mm Yak-130 or the 80mm F-86 Sabre as my first EDF. From what I have found they are two of the best entry level EDF's with retracts available. I really want the Saber but the Yaks $100 lower price difference makes it the better bang for the buck! Of all the reviews I have read about the Yak this is the one that really convinced me just how good it is.

"Just a quick overview that I have some experience. I have flown non stop for 39 years. I fly Turbine jets, EDF's, giant scale, helicopters and just about everything else including IMAC for 12 years. I have been around. I now have several Freewing/Motion RC EDF's and they all fly great. This Yak 130 is the best EDF I have ever flown and I have flown hundreds. This airplane is so stable and I have let no less then 12 Turbine jet pilots fly it and they said it tracks like a jet not an EDF. We all have done every maneuver out there in jet style and this plane will do it. I have done a vertical split S on takeoff. I am running a 6S, and the 12 bladed fan. This is my favorite EDF and I have almost 100 flights on it in just 2 months. In my almost 100 flights I say when you land just keep on 2 clicks above idle for power all the way to the ground and hold it off. it will kiss the ground you will love it. I hope Motion RC is around forever because I am enjoying what they are selling more than anywhere. A hundreds thumbs up for this Yak 130 !!!!!!!!!!!!" By Bob E

Comment

So have you had a chance to use the gyro yet? I just bought 2 of these myself but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I think I'll copy your plywood shelf idea for mine;)
                                Originally posted by scooter genie View Post
                                That's exactly how I balanced mine. I think the rates were just a little too high, and it was blowing pretty good that day. I installed the A3 super 2 by fabricating a plywood shelf above the Battery....Check it out.

Comment

Out all the FW jets I have in my squadron, this is one that doesn't need a stabilizer. Awesome plane, great value.

Comment

Originally posted by fairplane View Post
                                    So have you had a chance to use the gyro yet? I just bought 2 of these myself but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I think I'll copy your plywood shelf idea for mine;)
                                    The wind has been blowing non stop here, and wont lay down till the middle of May. About the plywood shelf, it's hard to see in the pictures, but I glued 2 balsa cleats on the bottom of the seam inside the fuselage above the battery. then glued the shelf on top of the cleats. Put the battery in first, so you can position the cleats in a manner that allows enough room to slide the battery in and out, and your good to go.

Comment

LOL................ im not having luck these past two weeks. Maidened mine today............ flew great, until the canopy flew off.... so I brought her in to land.....final turn, spiraled in like a lawn dart!!!!!!

Comment

Bummer!

Comment

No time is a good time, but on the maiden.......dang. The latch on mine is a very positive lock. Can't imagine how that could have come off. Most of my mishaps are because of pilot error. I've lost very few due to equipment malfunctions, but I always triple check everything before and after each flight, On my maidens, I'm always a nervous wreck. So is it repairable ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X