Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Freewing 90mm F-15C Eagle

Originally posted by urrl
    I finally began landing with wheelies after using the Wheelie Guru Doug's advice not to use flaps. Once I did that wheelies started to appear.

I finally began landing with wheelies after taking the Wheelie Guru Doug's advice not to use flaps. Once I did that wheelies started to appear.
    Some awesome flying skills there, especially the landings. Do you feel the stock outrunner has sufficient power? It looks like it has plenty. I am awaiting my F-15, any unique flying characteristics I should know???
    Chris

Comment

To me yes; the power is "sufficient" for this jet. But more is always better. She lands easier than the F-16 and overall I'd say the characteristics are very good.

Comment

I finally began landing with wheelies after using the Wheelie Guru Doug's advice not to use flaps. Once I did that wheelies started to appear.

Have you tried those with the speed brake deployed? It would look like a more scale landing if, right after touchdown, the speed brake came up.

Comment

Spent hours watching the F-15's land. I believe the term the pilots used was "eagle walk". They would brake using the aerodynamics of the wing, not using the brakes until they had to.

Great stuff urrl!
          Off with one helluva roar!
          AMA 1085465

Comment

USAF pilots used to compete on how long they could hold the nose up, but 'management' put a stop to it when they started scraping the turkey feathers. They did, however, have the speed brake deployed, but the brakes on the wheels weren't used until the last minute.

The first 'Eagle walk' was actually when they rode the column of thrust, carefully varying the left and right engine, to make the bird kind of waddle in, about 20 to 50 feet off the ground. They would then go to full power, and rocket up in front of the viewing area. I actually watched the first time it was done in a show for the generals at EAFB.

McDonnell-Douglas, retired, after 40+ years on the Eagle project.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol
              USAF pilots used to compete on how long they could hold the nose up, but 'management' put a stop to it when they started scraping the turkey feathers. They did, however, have the speed brake deployed, but the brakes on the wheels weren't used until the last minute.

The first 'Eagle walk' was actually when they rode the column of thrust, carefully varying the left and right engine, to make the bird kind of waddle in, about 20 to 50 feet off the ground. I actually watched the first time it was done in a show for the generals at EAFB.

Very interesting anecdote, thanks. Never knew that.
              [hr]

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol

The first 'Eagle walk' was actually when they rode the column of thrust, carefully varying the left and right engine, to make the bird kind of waddle in, about 20 to 50 feet off the ground. I actually watched the first time it was done in a show for the generals at EAFB.

Very interesting anecdote, thanks. Never knew that.

[hr]
                To finish the walk, when they got within about 200 feet of the viewing area, they would pour on the coals, and climb straight up. They wanted to show what the first fighter with greater than 1:1 thrust could do, to the folks that got the money. Another trick was to put the gear handle up before the roll-out, and rely on the Weight-On-Wheels system to keep the gear down, until the bird started to lift, when the gear snapped up; they they would go full AB, and do a 80+ degree climb. Made for quite a show, but really hard on the engines, so they stopped that, too.

Nice video, of what looks like the MOANG jets, up there for a show.

Comment

Perhaps I will try air braking with the wheelie next.
                  Had to cut the plastic side panels of the fuse a bit to make them fit but I wanted more nose hang time and the JP eBrakes helped with that. More wheelie time...

Comment

The twin afterburner LEDs were bought here:
                    http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=272&product_id=2841

Here's this mornings flight highlights:
                    JP eBrakes are on point now that I have tightened up the main gear on the F-15. No more swerving into the grass on landings. Love the way the F-104 handles, ...

Comment

Your lights and flights look great! Thank you as always for sharing! Keep the highlight reels coming.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle (Aircraft Model), North American F-86 Sabre (Aircraft Model)

Comment

First flight under heavier fog was missed due to cam malfunction. This is second flight.
                          Due to a cam malfunction the first flight with even heavier fog was missed. This is the second flight.Please note only the LEDs will fit inside the exhaust a...

Comment

First flight under heavier fog was missed due to cam malfunction. This is second flight.
                            Due to a cam malfunction the first flight with even heavier fog was missed. This is the second flight.Please note only the LEDs will fit inside the exhaust a...
                            That is so cool, you must have some steel ones to take off in very limited visibility, good job!
                            Chris

Comment

I'm torn between this F-15 and the F-16 (which is in stock). If the F-15 won't be in stock for a while, maybe I'll get the F-16.
                              Is the F-15 preferred here over the F-16? Will it be worth the wait?

Thanks

Comment

I want this plane soooooooooo bad , but with my spending on this hobby lately Im going to wait til I get past Xmas . :@

Comment

Some crosswind landings were not easy, especially for those with failing landing gear.

These flights done with my new Canon G20 camcorder with the aid of a shotgun mic for better RC jet sound.
                                  Some crosswind landings were not easy, especially for those with failing landing gear.These flights done with my new Canon G20 camcorder with the aid of a sh...

Comment

Nice job urrl

Comment

Urrl,
                                      Didn't look like the winds were much fun to deal with that day . Noticed a lot of runway direction switching going on for take-offs and landings.
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                                        Urrl,
                                        Didn't look like the winds were much fun to deal with that day . Noticed a lot of runway direction switching going on for take-offs and landings.
                                        I prefer windless but I think it helps me to learn to navigate windy conditions. I'm almost too embarrassed to say I need to learn to use the rudder which I always forget to do.

Comment

When will the next shipment be in :huh:

Comment

Working...
                                          X