X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
    What batteries are you guys using that went to 8S?. Not a lot of room to play with.

Mike
    I have a few setups but found that a 6S + 2S 5000mah combo is a much easier fit than 4S + 4S. You can shave some foam from the inside of the foam to get yourself an extra couple of mm.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

I have a few setups but found that a 6S + 2S 5000mah combo is a much easier fit than 4S + 4S. You can shave some foam from the inside of the foam to get yourself an extra couple of mm.
      There is no right or wrong way to make the number of cells you need. The ESC only sees voltage. Just make sure they are matched in C rating , same age and you are good to go.
      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I can fit HRB 6S+2S 6000mah in the F-15. That is with a Spektrum "Flight Pack Energy Sensor" with two SBUS cables coming off of it. I did some mods to mine after cutting the nose off where I had previously glued it on during assembly. The weak spot behind the nose gear is no longer an issue too...

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Do it. The FMS 1500kv in the F-15 was my first experience with 8S (after flying it once I went home and ordered the same motor for the F22 lol). The F-15 is still a scale ship, but the flight times improve significantly because you can carry a lot less throttle to keep that nose up in the turns. Vertical is improved but top speed doesnt seem to be much different.

Care needs to be taken when carving foam in the F-15, it's quite thin at the top of the fuselage above the EDF housing.

The battery compartment is tight as well. I find that a matched 5000mah 6S+2S setup fits better than 5000mah 4S+4S. You can shave some foam from the inner sides of the battery area but it's still a squeeze.

FWIW Im running the hobbyeagle flyfun 130A V5. It's an opto so you'll need a BEC. I ended up using the standard freewing one, which is NOT compatible with 8S, with a seperate 2S lipo that sits neatly where the tongue of the canopy slots in to the fuse.
          Well DO IT, I did.😏 Just put the order in for the FMS 90mm 12Blade 8S with a 150amp ESC 8S for the Eagle. The 90mm In-runner from the Eagle is finding a new home in my F-18 Blue.... Should really perk up both planes. Spring on Cape Cod cant come fast enough now....Now what to do with my spare 90mm Out-Runner.... F-16 Thunderbird ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post

Well DO IT, I did.😏 Just put the order in for the FMS 90mm 12Blade 8S with a 150amp ESC 8S for the Eagle. The 90mm In-runner from the Eagle is finding a new home in my F-18 Blue.... Should really perk up both planes. Spring on Cape Cod cant come fast enough now....Now what to do with my spare 90mm Out-Runner.... F-16 Thunderbird ?
            I will most likely be doing the same thing soon. I have the new FMS 8s set up in my F-16 and it is really impressive!! It may not feel all that fabulous at first because the bearings have not broken in yet. After the 6-8th flight the plane really will come to life!! The fan is a power house!!
            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	FMS EDF 1-12-21.JPG
Views:	1046
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	294191
              First step to the FMS 8S up-grade to the Eagle. There is some shaving of the foam to get this beast to fit. Found the best way to do it was using a solder iron to remove the excess foam needed for this EDF to fit. A good 1/8 inch needs to be removed from the cover piece and the fuse needed only small amounts removed. The ESC post needed to be cut down atleast an inch for 150amp ESC to fit under the air cheater grate. So far so good on the install and need to extend the motor leads to complete the project. Looking forward to final set-up and getting this bird in the air again....

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

I will most likely be doing the same thing soon. I have the new FMS 8s set up in my F-16 and it is really impressive!! It may not feel all that fabulous at first because the bearings have not broken in yet. After the 6-8th flight the plane really will come to life!! The fan is a power house!!
                Upgrade completed on the F-15 to 8S with the FMS 90mm and Freewing 150amp 8S ESC.... No issues setting up ESC but question. When you hook up the 2S then the 6S will you hear 8 beeps from the ESC? Not sure if the ESC is seeing the 8S system. It throttle ups fine and seems fine , but not sure.... Thoughts?

Comment

Upgrade completed on the F-15 to 8S with the FMS 90mm and Freewing 150amp 8S ESC.... No issues setting up ESC but question. When you hook up the 2S then the 6S will you hear 8 beeps from the ESC? Not sure if the ESC is seeing the 8S system. It throttle ups fine and seems fine , but not sure.... Thoughts?
                  the 8 beeps are indicating that it is an 8s system. All good!

Comment

• Not all ESCs beep the number of cells. I am not sure but don't think the ESCs that are in the PNP FW 8S EDFs, what you are using, beep the cells.

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Since you have the same set-up in your F-16 how do you hook up the batteries? Do you use the 6S & 2S combo? Do you plug both in to the series connector then to the ESC? Or do you have a special order you use?

Comment

Since you have the same set-up in your F-16 how do you hook up the batteries? Do you use the 6S & 2S combo? Do you plug both in to the series connector then to the ESC? Or do you have a special order you use?
                        The system won't care. All it sees is the voltage, not how it is made. I use (2) 4s on mine but always start with the negative side because of my afterburner. There is nothing wrong with you connecting the batteries on the series connection and then plugging into the system from there...

Comment

I am really interested in how this does for you in the F15. I am really wanting to try it in the 90mm Super Scorpion.

You get the EDF from RC-Castle?

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

I am really interested in how this does for you in the F15. I am really wanting to try it in the 90mm Super Scorpion.

You get the EDF from RC-Castle?
                            Been stupid cold up hear so only got in 3 flights with the new 8S FMS set-up. (fingers frozen). Seems to have better climb rates and take off thrust was excellent. Not sure on throttle management yet, too little time in the air. I got the FMS from Banggood for only $112.00 with shipping. Shipping was a-little slow but no rush as winter project. Wont see the air again till its gets warmer up here. Flying with frozen fingers is not the best......

Comment

• Here's a maiden video for everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap1.png
Views:	866
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	302655Click image for larger version

Name:	snap2.png
Views:	874
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	302656Click image for larger version

Name:	snap3.png
Views:	902
Size:	937.7 KB
ID:	302654Click image for larger version

Name:	snap4.png
Views:	862
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	302653

Comment

• Nice maiden djmoose ! Thanks for sharing!
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by djmoose View Post
                                  Here's a maiden video for everyone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	snap1.png Views:	8 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	302655Click image for larger version  Name:	snap2.png Views:	8 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	302656Click image for larger version  Name:	snap3.png Views:	8 Size:	937.7 KB ID:	302654Click image for larger version  Name:	snap4.png Views:	11 Size:	717.6 KB ID:	302653
                                  Great job and nailed that landing......

Comment

• Landing gear question? Has anyone changed out the front spring for the front nose gear? The reason I ask is my front gear seems to ride lower and bounces alot more since the 8S upgrade. Prob cuz of the added weight of the batteries. I think I need to stiffen up the front gear spring to reduce the bouncing effect for take-offs & landings.... Any ideas?

Comment

• Well its warming up here on Cape Cod so I've had the Eagle out about 10 times so far. One thing that puzzled me was the batteries. When I ran a 6S with a 2S the 2S would bleed out energy way faster than the 6S and was only getting about 3mins flight times. When I switched to 2- 5000mah 50C 4S batteries the flight times are now 4:30 mins and both batteries at about 3.7 @ 30% left. I almost lost it on the 6S - 2S combo after the 2S ran out of juice and just ran on the 6S (which it didnt like at all) barely got her back in one piece. So is anyone else having the same issue with the 6S-2S combo?

Comment

Well its warming up here on Cape Cod so I've had the Eagle out about 10 times so far. One thing that puzzled me was the batteries. When I ran a 6S with a 2S the 2S would bleed out energy way faster than the 6S and was only getting about 3mins flight times. When I switched to 2- 5000mah 50C 4S batteries the flight times are now 4:30 mins and both batteries at about 3.7 @ 30% left. I almost lost it on the 6S - 2S combo after the 2S ran out of juice and just ran on the 6S (which it didnt like at all) barely got her back in one piece. So is anyone else having the same issue with the 6S-2S combo?
                                        Not supposed to run it that way in the first place. Running two separate size batteries the 2s will deplete first every time. Always run the same size batteries together.

Comment

• I have heard the exact opposite of that statement. Also, I run 6S+2S on my 8S planes. As long as they are the same exact batteries, with the only difference being the cell count, the ESC cannot tell the difference. The only thing I can think of is that either you have a bad connection somewhere, OR the 2S battery has seen more use than the 6S. It is important to keep the amount of cycles on the 2S batteries near the same as the amount of cycles on the 6S if you intend on using them paired together.

Comment

Working...
                                          X