X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Yer welcome. I suggest you find the build video by RC Informer. He outlines in detail all the stuff you should do to make the battery bay work for 2 larger batteries (ie, 5000mah+), plus a few other really useful mods to make this plane better. Then there's the RC Geek programming set up. Really good stuff.
    Agree! I use HRB 5000's all the way back to back with carved out foam and it just balances right.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Yer welcome. I suggest you find the build video by RC Informer. He outlines in detail all the stuff you should do to make the battery bay work for 2 larger batteries (ie, 5000mah+), plus a few other really useful mods to make this plane better. Then there's the RC Geek programming set up. Really good stuff.
      Absolutely sir... I bought the ARF. Have the full Landing gear plate upgrade kit from " The informer" as well as 2 T-33 power plants paired with A-10 ESC's :-). All vids have been reviewed! Just haven't cracked the box yet... finishing up my F-22 repaint,
      Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
        Absolutely sir... I bought the ARF. Have the full Landing gear plate upgrade kit from " The informer" as well as 2 T-33 power plants paired with A-10 ESC's :-). All vids have been reviewed! Just haven't cracked the box yet... finishing up my F-22 repaint,
        E4, I will be watching your progress with great interest. The ARF+ is the way I would approach this build and having watched RCInformer's vids and reading bits in this forum, I would really like to see how your skills take this to a new level. Point is 'want one' and will build one after my Corsair build this winter. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks Elbee.... Approaching this one with caution. The setup is 1/2 the fun. I just upgraded to the Jeti DS24 and will be making the the most out of its flexibility.
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• I use 6000 and 6200 mostly in this plane, handles the weight great and an increase in landing speed isn't really noticeable with stock flap configuration. I have them all the way back but I think the addition of custom power setup (T33 inrunners) with custom made afterburners helps. I also run a small 500mah 3s battery for the burners than I position by the front of the back battery.. if that makes sense.

Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
            Did any of you have trouble hitting CG with the back to back battery position? I carved out the foam all the way to the metal crossbar in the back. I have my 825g 6s lipos pushed back to the bar and the other one butting right up against the rear battery - in other words as far back as they can possibly go. Measuring ~ 87mm CG the plane is very nose heavy. Anyone else find this issue with similar 6000 batteries?

Comment

• I bought this plane in 2017. At the time there was an upgrade for the power system which was 2x125 amp escs, inrunner motors with 12 blade units. . The fan units were metal. I installed this upgrade. I see where lots of people are putting the 9 blade fan units on there power systems. Would I be better off leaving my upgraded power system alone ? Or would the 9 blade rotor be better ? Could I just install the 9 blade rotor in place of my present 12 blade rotor ? Any and all answers appreciated !

Comment

• The old inrunner was just a little more powerful and less than todays higher kV outrunners. To be honest the new 9b/ inrunner is pretty darn close to the 1850kv outrunner with the 12b one piece rotor.

If you are going to swap over do it as a matched rotor/ fan/ motor set. To be honest your set up isn't bad and unless you have the money laying around not really a value replacement.

Comment

• Hi Gents

Just joined... & I have a question about the tomcat. I saw this video (see below) where the mains were done with rotating retracts. Unfortunately,There is no info anywhere about what retract to use & what mods are needed etc. Does anyone have any specific information on this or any other rotating retract mod you know of?

On that note, I was thinking of using the rotating retract from the freewing Mig29. what are your thoughts on that?

Freewing F-14D homemade retract canopy airbrakers tailhook afterburn retradtgeardoors autopilots ladder and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Masteryoda View Post
                    Hi Gents, Just joined... & I have a question about the tomcat. I saw this video (see below) where the mains were done with rotating retracts. Unfortunately, There is no info anywhere about what retract to use & what mods are needed etc. Does anyone have any specific information on this or any other rotating retract mod you know of? On that note, I was thinking of using the rotating retract from the freewing Mig29. what are your thoughts on that?
                    MY, Welcome onboard, Sir. I don't have dimensions of the MiG-29 Retracts; however, the main gear door mod is great and worth doing. If it were me, I'd just post a request over in the MiG 29 forum for the dimensions of the retracts. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

MY, Welcome onboard, Sir. I don't have dimensions of the MiG-29 Retracts; however, the main gear door mod is great and worth doing. If it were me, I'd just post a request over in the MiG 29 forum for the dimensions of the retracts. Best, LB
                      Thanks Elbee. I already ordered the Mig 29 retracts (if they fit, i'll use, if not, I'll resell) Once they fit, I'll carve out the wheel well & figure out about the gear door! Any pics or link to gear door mods? I'll have to design in CAD & print a 3D gear door I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by Masteryoda View Post
                        Thanks Elbee. I already ordered the Mig 29 retracts (if they fit, i'll use, if not, I'll resell) Once they fit, I'll carve out the wheel well & figure out about the gear door! Any pics or link to gear door mods? I'll have to design in CAD & print a 3D gear door I guess
                        MY, I am laughing out loud as I'm currently looking at photos in Danny Coreman's F-14 book trying to figure out how I am going to do the 90 degree rotating MG and MG doors. At any rate, post pictures as I will need all the assistance I can get. Best and Happy New Year, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Just put mig 29 retracts in my f4u 95 mm long.. 30mm high to the base... 22 mm wide below the base the mounting 30mm spacing ( holes) width length of hole spacing is 25mm good luck they r big

Comment

• Elbee
                            Elbee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks FA. Happy New Year, Sir. Best, LB

• What's the current recommendation for an upgraded 6S motor/ESC setup (using 5000mah batteries)? I find that I'm taking my other jets to the field instead of this one mainly because it's underpowered by comparison.

Comment

• Use either the new inrunner 80mm Motion sells for the majority of their 80mm jets now, or the power system from the A-10. Both will need 100A ESC upgrades. I have used both, and they give much better thrust. Top speed is not increased much, but it's able to get of the ground quicker and has better vertical with either of these setups.
                            Pat

Comment

• To be honest, before I purchase another F-14 80mm EDF jet, I’d like to see Freewing update the power system to the 9-blade fan with 1920kv motors (the system that originated in the T-33), and 100A ESC’s. Maybe even a new simple paint job as well. Hopefully the PNP price can be somewhere between $599-620 for the upgraded F-14 and call it done. For that matter, please update the A-10 80mm to the new power system as well as well.

Hopefully this is something Alpha Marco Polo Tom are all considering. I’m not sure if it’s lucrative enough or if all older planes are still selling well enough to justify the update, but I can only hope. I know many of the older 80mm jets have been receiving the updated power system, but I have yet to see any of the twin 80mm jets receive it. There could be a reason for that.

It’s no secret it’s a better value to order a PNP jet over the ARF-Plus. To achieve the new power system setup on the F-14 when purchasing a ARF+ and power system separate, it would currently cost almost $710. That’s a bit steep. At that point, a MiG-29 PNP which has the new power system costs $639, looks extra appealing. They are of course not the same aircraft, F-14 vs MiG-29, but the comparison stands in the twin 80mm class, as does the $599 A-10 (but does not have the new power system....yet).

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                To be honest, before I purchase another...EDF jet, I’d like to see Freewing update the power systems....
                                TC, I'm in a similar state of mind. I'd order the Freewing ARF+ F-14A today if I knew which of the newer 80mm setups to add. Thank you crxmanpat for your timely input, and Meh for the question. I am leaning toward the Freewing 80mm A-10 setup as it is time proven to this guy. Really looking forward to building the Tomcat. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TC, I'm in a similar state of mind. I'd order the Freewing ARF+ F-14A today if I knew which of the newer 80mm setups to add. Thank you crxmanpat for your timely input, and Meh for the question. I am leaning toward the Freewing 80mm A-10 setup as it is time proven to this guy. Really looking forward to building the Tomcat. Best, LB
                                  I was very close to ordering another Tomcat ARF+, but figured I’d wait to see if they update the power system within this new year. Good luck with your build! I know yours will look absolutely phenomenal. No question about that!

If I ordered a F-14 now, I’d personally use the T-33/MiG-29 EDF/Motor over the A-10’s for a few primary reasons. First, I prefer the newer design of the EDF because the plastic shroud is much more rigid. I really disliked how flimsy the A-10 shrouds were, and I could collapse the shroud with little pressure that was enough to make the fan blades rub. Second, the PNP power systems with the inrunner motors tend to be better balanced from the factory (from just my experience and some others at the field, although I know some who have had opposite experiences). Third, I tend to like the ease of use and options to use aftermarket Afterburner/Centerburner LED’s for the inrunner motors versus the outrunner motors. On a F-14, AB lights always look nice, ha-ha.

For ESC’s, either the A-10 100A one’s or MiG-29 100A should work great simply because the wires are already lengthened, includes EC5 connectors, comes with additional capacitors soldered close to the ESC’s, and includes an external BEC.

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    TC, Many thanks. The good news is by buying the ARF+ I'll have plenty of time to decide on the power system, as we both know it will take me at least 5 months to build it LOL. Happy New Year, my friend. Best as always, Steve

• Happy New Year to you too, Steve! I look forward to watching your build progress. The time and effort will pay off.

Comment

• Thanks for the replies. Looks like the 1920kV motors are the ones to go with.

Regarding ESCs, I'm looking at the ones from the A-10 (Mig-29 ESCs are currently out of stock). The specs on the ESCs appear to be the same, so I'm guessing either one should work. What's the difference? Wiring lengths, etc.?

Comment

• Not sure on the wire lengths but the A-10s are essentially the same and will work fine. That's what is currently in my F14 with the 9 blade 1920kV edfs

Originally posted by Meh View Post
                                      Thanks for the replies. Looks like the 1920kV motors are the ones to go with.

Regarding ESCs, I'm looking at the ones from the A-10 (Mig-29 ESCs are currently out of stock). The specs on the ESCs appear to be the same, so I'm guessing either one should work. What's the difference? Wiring lengths, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                                      X