X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post
    Not sure on the wire lengths but the A-10s are essentially the same and will work fine. That's what is currently in my F14 with the 9 blade 1920kV edfs

Thank you, kind sir.

Comment

• I have modeled some simple F-14A model main wheel covers that glue onto the supplied main wheels for Freewing's F-14D 80mm EDF Jet. For those who wish to convert their own Freewing F-14D to an A-model, this A-model main wheel cover may be of aid in the process. The STL file can be downloaded via Thingiverse at the link below.

I painted part of the supplied Freewing main wheels with black paint to create an illusion of depth (but left unpainted room to ensure I can glue the printed wheel covers to the metal wheel and not onto paint). Then, I painted the printed wheel covers in gloss white, as well as used black marker for detail accents.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
        I have modeled some simple F-14A model main wheel covers...]
        TC, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you, Sir. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TC, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you, Sir. Best, LB
          Thanks, Elbee! I’m happy to contribute to the hobby in any way I can. Hopefully this helps some people converting their F-14 to an A-model.

You, Dirty Dee, Radar-Guy, Alpha, and others here have been great inspiration for me to 3D model, and to get a 3D printer. Thank you!

Comment

• Going back in this thread, I see that some have mentioned the FMS EDFs. Is there enough of an improvement over upgraded Freewing inrunners to justify the customization needed to install them? Also, what all is needed? Just carving out a bit of foam or is it more extensive?

Comment

• Just the foam and correct ESCs from what I understand. I don't have the newer FMS PRO one myself but with this air frame I would think the vertical/static thrust (?) would slightly be better being that it's 12bl vs 9bl. Efficiency is about the same I think and the sound is probably slightly better, not that its bad with the freewing units. I think its just personal preference and your willingness to install. I believe in other air frames there is more of an advantage with the newer 2100 kv FMS pro units

Originally posted by Meh View Post
              Going back in this thread, I see that some have mentioned the FMS EDFs. Is there enough of an improvement over upgraded Freewing inrunners to justify the customization needed to install them? Also, what all is needed? Just carving out a bit of foam or is it more extensive?

Comment

• I put in the Freewing inrunners (3658 1920Kv). They dropped right in. I have used the FMS 2100kv units in a couple of Freewing planes. The FMS units seem to be a couple mm bigger in diameter than the Freewing units, so you either have to shave some foam or you just push them in firmly to compress the foam a bit, however, I've always found that it leaves a bit of the lip or step once the hatch is installed.

Comment

• Update to the STL file for the wheel covers. I added some more detail to look more scale, but still kept it within reason to ensure that detail could be printed. At 0.07 resolution or better, the wheels and detail came out good. New pictures attached, and I updated the Thingiverse file as well with the new STL.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                    Update to the STL file for the wheel covers. I updated the Thingiverse file as well with the new STL.
                    TC, Beautiful design, Sir. Thank you from the bottom of both my axles. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TC, Beautiful design, Sir. Thank you from the bottom of both my axles. Best, LB
                      You’re welcome, from the bottom of the wheel hubs.

Comment

• Hey I'm on the road alot (truck driver). And I finally finished my F-14 Tomcat . I notice that my elevators have alot of play in them. is this normal......

Comment

• I 3D modeled some wing box cover screw hole plugs to use after screwing on the cover to help conceal the foam screw holes for better visual presentation. I have always disliked the eye sore of the screw holes of the cover, so this is an idea I had to cover them up by means of a rather easily removable solution. One plug is angled and intended to be used on the two front and two middle holes. The straight plug is intended to be used on the two rear cover holes.

If you don't mind, please 3D print them and test fit these to your Freewing F-14 80mm EDF Jet. Let me know if they need any modifications/revisions to the design. I'm not sure if some covers have changed in any way over the years on this jet, the tolerance, etc., so these may or may not work as is for you.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by davjamhan View Post
                            Hey I'm on the road alot (truck driver). And I finally finished my F-14 Tomcat . I notice that my elevators have alot of play in them. is this normal......
                            If I remember correctly, I believe Alpha and Tom from Motion RC both said the stabilators have play in them and is normal. Mine had the same play (and what I consider to be quite a bit), as does every Freewing F-14 I’ve seen. However, some people prefer to upgrade the servos and the linkage system to reduce unwanted movement, but far more people fly it in the stock PNP form without any issues.

Comment

• Hey Tomcatters, could one of you give me the width and length dimensions of the swing wing mechanism 'aluminum wing plates'? Thank you in advance. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi Elbee, is this what you were looking for or did you need underneath the wings?

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                Hey Tomcatters, could one of you give me the width and length dimensions of the swing wing mechanism 'aluminum wing plates'? Thank you in advance. Best, LB
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks T!
                                  Still need paint but they fit well and wont fall out on their own. The angle one works well enough for me and what it's intentions are, but the low side could use a bit more of angle to meet the foam, the high side seems fine. It is turned to the optimum alignment as well. I know that's hard to quantify and tweak in the CAD and hopefully the pictures show what I mean.
                                  Thanks for taking the time!

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

If you don't mind, please 3D print them and test fit these to your Freewing F-14 80mm EDF Jet. Let me know if they need any modifications/revisions to the design. I'm not sure if some covers have changed in any way over the years on this jet, the tolerance, etc., so these may or may not work as is for you.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Elbee, is this what you were looking for or did you need underneath the wings?
                                    GR, thanks for the quick reply. I am wanting the basic dimensions of the 'large' plates at the Fuselage. These have been highlighted in a couple of builds as a modification that also supports the MG by lengthening the OEM plate. I am wanting to do this in CF as part of my build. I am not in the same location as the kit, but I am ordering parts for the build. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks T!
                                      Still need paint but they fit well and wont fall out on their own. The angle one works well enough for me and what it's intentions are, but the low side could use a bit more of angle to meet the foam, the high side seems fine. It is turned to the optimum alignment as well. I know that's hard to quantify and tweak in the CAD and hopefully the pictures show what I mean.
                                      Thanks for taking the time!
                                      Thanks a ton for the great feedback! This should help me achieve a final design after modifications.

Hopefully you don’t mind me asking more questions to see what needs to be altered . Since I don’t own the F-14 any longer (I’ll be getting another later this year to modify), I’m doing the 3D modeling without a jet in front of me, ha-ha.

1. Just to be sure, when referring to the low side requiring modification, is that referring to the part closest to head of the plug?

2. Does the angled plug need modification to fit in both the front cover holes and center holes, or just one, the front or center?

3. In the hole that the angled plug needs altering, when the angled plug is placed in the hole, what orientation of the turn is the plug at (angle facing forward, aft, etc.?) so I can see where the head of the plug needs to be angled more or less?

If you don’t mind taking a picture(s) of the angled plug half way out or marked with how it is turned in the slot to properly seat, and possibly a quick pencil drawing of the angled plug and the mods needed to help me visualize it.

Thank you!

Comment

• 1. Just to be sure, when referring to the low side requiring modification, is that referring to the part closest to head of the plug?
                                        I was referring the low side as closest to the center axis of the fuse or the hump in the cover. The angle slopes towards the center line of the plane

2. Does the angled plug need modification to fit in both the front cover holes and center holes, or just one, the front or center?
                                        I actually found the straight plug to work better for the front and rear holes and the angled for the center holes. When the angled is fitted in the front it does not sit flush as the foam in that area is for the most part flat. The two last pictures I posted earlier are the straight plug in the front hole.

3. In the hole that the angled plug needs altering, when the angled plug is placed in the hole, what orientation of the turn is the plug at (angle facing forward, aft, etc.?) so I can see where the head of the plug needs to be angled more or less?
                                        Angle is facing towards the center of the plane. Its pretty hard to get a decent photo of it but the inside (center line side) of the angle only sits up about .5mm-.75mm.. eyeballed

If you don’t mind taking a picture(s) of the angled plug half way out or marked with how it is turned in the slot to properly seat, and possibly a quick pencil drawing of the angled plug and the mods needed to help me visualize it.
                                        Apologies in advance for my crap photoshop skills

Thank you!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Elbee, is this what you were looking for or did you need underneath the wings?
                                          GR, would a 6" X 12" CF plate be enough material to to duplicate one side and extend far enough aft to cover the main gear mounts? Best, LB
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X