X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brinka View Post

So mine came with 80 amp ESCs, so this means I will need to upgrade to 100 amp ESC, it's all good, worth it for extra thrust. Rich's stock motors left me in the dust, I could barely keep up. Happy to hear you now have one!
    I got the ARF and put this into it:
    https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=8801
    Since you need the ESCs, too, you might save some money by getting this "package". I much prefer the inrunners anyway. Static thrust is about 6 kgs.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Since you need the ESCs, too, you might save some money by getting this "package". I much prefer the inrunners anyway. Static thrust is about 6 kgs.
      That's the smart money, cap packs and all. Their cyclone afterburners are nice too so chuck a pair in the cart while you're at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Thanks for the link, that’s the type deal I’m looking for, and the burners are at a good price also, but I have burners already, and wanted to use the original burners I have bc they plug into my 6s power perfectly and no extra battery needed like all the other burner types sold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brinka View Post
          After flying my Tomcat at a show with Rich from RC informer, I’ve decided it’s time to upgrade the power system as my stock motors was so much slower than his stock motors. Mine are about 4 yrs old, and flying side by side with a newer model showed the age in speed. So I’m thinking of staying with the outrunners as I want to keep my light burner system, so the A10 system is better or what? Do I need to upgrade ESC’s also?
          Could be your batterys and not the power system, how is SEFF?
          AMA 424553

Comment

• I'd love to get my hands on another F-14 but my wishlist is a New Gen version that's lighter with all the relevant fixes/mods implemented out of the box. Just like with any new EDF release my main wants are a bit of a paradox: Bigger but Lighter! Get to work Alpha!

My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I have had my F-14 for over a year. (Truck Driver) I have done all the mods that out there. My Question is a 12 blade or a 9 blade the FMS 2100kv or the MiG 29 or the 12 blade inrunner 3658-1857

Comment

• Oh side note I'm only using 8 channel wing in no aileron. wing out normal. using a DX 9

Comment

• Last weekend I did some first flights with my F-14 VF-1 Wolfpack. It went pretty well. This is one nice flyer. Have to upgrade the Cockpit now.

Comment

• Do any of you gents run the F14 off of grass? Preferably with the new 80mm inrunner setup? I’m teetering right on the edge of ordering one today but our field doesn’t have ‘golf course green’ grass and this is my only concern.

Many Thanks
                    Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Dancad View Post
                      Do any of you gents run the F14 off of grass? Preferably with the new 80mm inrunner setup? I’m teetering right on the edge of ordering one today but our field doesn’t have ‘golf course green’ grass and this is my only concern.

Many Thanks
                      Dan
                      The retract struts on this plane are quite long and skinny. If the grass is very rough and bumpy, the higher resistance when rolling can bend the struts. Landings that aren’t just “perfect” on grass can also tend to bend the struts. I’ve landed on the grass when I didn’t quite hit the runway right on, has caused the struts to bend and if you hit hard enough on grass the retract plastic body can crack and break. It’s a heavy plane that can land quite fast.

Comment

• Grass takes its toll on most EDFs and the tomcat is no exception. Of primary concern is the foam above the mains which can bend and interfere with the swing mechanism. In extreme cases it can break.

There are various mods you'll find people discussing to address this, from metal to plywood to 3D printed.

And yeah some spare struts are an idea while you get the hang of the plane.

It's a bit of effort but you can make it work if youre commited to having a tomcat.

Comment

• Also, the stock nose gear strut in my opinion is outdated and a design I don’t care for. The weak link is that little collar and screw. It wears too easily, and the collar will eventually have a stress fracture or break completely regardless of surface flown from, but it will be accelerated flying off grass and non-manicured ground.

What a few of us have done is change the nose gear strut to the Freewing F/A-18C 90mm EDF jet nose strut. It is much more robust, and does not contain a collar, and is instead one metal piece. The pin is the same diameter, so it’s an easy swap. However, keep in mind that the F/A-18C nose strut is about 6mm or so shorter than the F-14’s. Since I fly off pavement and a long strip, it’s not an issue, but those who fly off non-paved surfaces may need to do some testing to see if any difference in takeoff distance occurs. Personally, I like the stance better with the new strut and it’s more robust. Also, swap the nose wheels and wheel axle over from the F-14 onto the new F/A-18C nose strut, or swap over the whole fork/trailing-link by removing some of the C-clips.

I can post some pictures if needed of the swap and the look. It was completely worth it to me.

Comment

• Agreed with T-CAT on the nose gear. I'm one of those that changed to the F-18 strut. Drop in fit and it works great! Four flights on mine since doing it.
                            Pat

Comment

• I saw a video on YouTube of someone who had swapped out the mains for a horizon/eflite part. All metal retract unit and beefy strut. It looked bulletproof but the parts are $400AUD to buy from the local dealer.

Comment

• Here are some pictures and a video of the F/A-18C nose strut on the Freewing F-14. I’ll have to take pictures outside with it on the ground for reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0834F872-5335-4378-9BDE-57BFF032E248.jpeg
Views:	661
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	313310Click image for larger version

Name:	00DC31A1-E21E-4A90-B597-EA85F9D2D1D3.jpeg
Views:	688
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	313312Click image for larger version

Name:	2C8D78BA-89B2-4436-B937-CDAD4CBB1443.jpeg
Views:	688
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	313311

Comment

• I JB weld that collar on if it comes loose...

Comment

• I wonder if the AL37 would be a good fit. The reduction in AoA with a shorter strut would be problematic for grass ops.

Comment

• Did anyone try the MiG-29 mains on the F-14? The retracts are much stronger an they rotate the gear 90 deg like in the full scale F-14. Would require some foam carving though...

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                                        Did anyone try the MiG-29 mains on the F-14? The retracts are much stronger an they rotate the gear 90 deg like in the full scale F-14. Would require some foam carving though...
                                        PZ, Great Idea. I have that build in the queue for this year. That is once I complete the Corsair and electrics in my Hornet. I had a similar thought about the Tomcat mains. Only way to find out is to do it. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

PZ, Great Idea. I have that build in the queue for this year. That is once I complete the Corsair and electrics in my Hornet. I had a similar thought about the Tomcat mains. Only way to find out is to do it. Best, LB
                                          Agree Elbee, please do post photos of results. I am thinking to do the same on the F-14

Comment

Working...
                                          X