X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Yeah, I opened the box (Arf+) on Thursday night and flew it Saturday afternoon. I spent more time scratching my head over how to do the engine mounts than I did putting the whole thing together. I've got four flights on her now. I've got to redo the nose spring with some kind of progressive tension setup. She keeps bouncing back into the air on landing. Flew great, but definitely needs a gyro!

Comment

• Gotta get that nose up! I also cut some of the spring out to soften my nose and main struts. Always set down nice.

Comment

• Hi

Did everyone's CG end up on the recommended location?

Comment

• Stock CG seems to be spot on for everyone. I fly mine at stock CG w/ 6000s and a bit of foam removal. Are you flying your turbine F-14 is S. CA? I'm in the SD/Murrieta area and would love to see that thing fly someday.

Originally posted by Shaun Evans View Post
          Hi

Did everyone's CG end up on the recommended location?

Comment

• Hi,

Yep, I'm in SD and fly at Chula Vista. I'm gonna go give her a try later today!

Comment

• I had someone tell me there was a 3d STL file of a full cockpit for the F14 floating around out there. Does anyone know anything about it? Can anyone point me towards it?

Comment

• Originally posted by rlcamden View Post

My first attempt at 3D design for the A-10 trailing link nose strut to use on the F-14 to add trailing link mains.

Now I need to source a machinist and get a quote to have it made in aluminum.
                Here you go...

​​​​​​​

Comment

• FInally got a chance to maiden the "Ghost" Aggressor F-14 Tomcat twin 80mm edf jet. Upgraded the fans to the FMS 80mm Predator 2100kv EDFs and- WOW what a difference from the stock setup. The FMS fans are a drop-in replacement. Also upgraded the stock 80 amp ESCs to Freewing 100 amp ESCs from the Freewing Mig-29 Fulcrum. The maiden video below shows a few top speed passes as well as some vertical maneuvers. A special thank you to Jerry Festa / Tailskid for the video and still camera work.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

Here you go...
                    Perfect! Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by krakenreleaser View Post
                      FInally got a chance to maiden the "Ghost" Aggressor F-14 Tomcat twin 80mm edf jet. Upgraded the fans to the FMS 80mm Predator 2100kv EDFs and- WOW what a difference from the stock setup. The FMS fans are a drop-in replacement. Also upgraded the stock 80 amp ESCs to Freewing 100 amp ESCs from the Freewing Mig-29 Fulcrum. The maiden video below shows a few top speed passes as well as some vertical maneuvers. A special thank you to Jerry Festa / Tailskid for the video and still camera work.

Great work. I currently have 12b 1920kvs in mine, but thinking on upgrading to the Predators or the 12b 2200kv XFly's. Working on trailing link mains, then I will tackle the motors.

Comment

• Thanks RLC! You can't go wrong with the Predators I assure you. I've heard good things about the XFLs as well. Here are a few still shots
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I've had the FMS 2100Kv fans in for over a year now and I recently bought all the parts needed to upgrade to 2 x Jetfan 80s w/ 2250Kv HET motors and 120a Hobbywing ESCs. A fellow club member of mine did the same and it has greater than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Should be a ridiculous setup. It was pricey though, about $700 for everything. I won't be able to do the swap until February, but I'll be sure to post pictures and a video when it's all installed in my Freewing VX-9 Black Bunny! I want to be able to do the Dale Snodgrass touch & go to the double dirty-Immelmann maneuver, which requires ridiculous static thrust.

Comment

• After a failed elevator servo my f-14 sustained severe damage, I usually do military paint schemes but I had fun with this… Ace combat pumpkin face.

Comment

• Awesome work there T!

Comment

• Thank you. It was a really fun project. On to the next paint job….

Comment

• Well, I ordered the ARF+ and will put a pair of FMS PRO units in it, and a 10 channel RX with gyro.

I read through the thread and see a bunch of suggested mods. In the experience of those with the f-14, what priority should the mods take (it looks like landing gear should be high on the list)?

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                    Well, I ordered the ARF+ and will put a pair of FMS PRO units in it, and a 10 channel RX with gyro. I read through the thread and see a bunch of suggested mods. In the experience of those with the f-14, what priority should the mods take (it looks like landing gear should be high on the list)?
                                    KE, Dittos on the LG mod. If you've read through the thread, you have probably watched the 'ewetoob' videos and seen that mod. The Tomcat ARF+ is my next build. I am genuinely excited to start it. Please post pictures of your progress, I will be watching with great interest. Best to you and yours, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• My opinion is to build it by the book with special attention to the wing sweep linkages to get no binding in or out. Other than that make adjustments to the battery area and shelf to get a good balance. After you fly it consider programing options and then think about some of the other mods mentioned. In my opinions some are not needed unless you fly from grass or very rough surfaces.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                        My opinion is to build it by the book with special attention to the wing sweep linkages to get no binding in or out. Other than that make adjustments to the battery area and shelf to get a good balance. After you fly it consider programing options and then think about some of the other mods mentioned. In my opinions some are not needed unless you fly from grass or very rough surfaces.
                                        Thanks. I fly from a hard runway but unfortunately it is quite short and, except for deltas that can be slowed right down at high alpha, most EDFs overrun into the grass - even those flown by far better pilots than me. So I'll probably take a hard look at the landing gear. (I saw that someone in the thread mentioned using my SU35 nosegear brace on his F-14).

Comment

• Remember that the F-14 with wings out is a floater and very trainer like. It can really slow down though mine had a nasty tendency to drop a wing at touch down (notice I didn't say tip stall).

Comment

Working...
                                          X