Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone flown the F14 off from a grass field?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
      Glad to hear it is still intact after being such a handful.
      Thanks, me too. That would have been a fairly expensive foam disaster had she not come down in one piece. fhhuber, the throttle wasn't the issue. I slowly increased power on the takeoff roll as I always do with my jets. My main concern is the roll issue and re-calibrating the ESCs.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdman51 View Post
        Has anyone flown the F14 off from a grass field?
        Grass will depend on what grass. Golf course putting green would be no issue at all. Short well kept lawn with smooth dirt under would be fine. Some of the patchy rough grass fields I've seen would rip out the landing gear.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I re-trimmed the right taileron to match the left. Not sure when or what caused them to get out of whack. Not a warp issue at all. I also re-calibrated the ESCs using Ryan's technique and there's no longer any oscillation at all between the two. I also reinforced the nose gear mounting section with epoxy as it was loose after the "Bucking Bronco" landing. I can see how these shock-absorbing struts can be an Achilles Heel on pavement, not unlike the A-10. Next flight hopefully I can get her trimmed out and land her slower and more softly to avoid that ego assault.

My starboard wing is really struggling when going to sweep mode. At the tail end it doesn't want to close fully like the port side does. Trying to figure out where the issue stems from. Nuts too tight? Servo weak? Any ideas? The last thing I need is the wings to be off kilter when I do go to sweep mode.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• NASA did asymmetric sweep testing going as extreme as one wing fully swept, the other fully extended. (testing what could happen with hydraulic system battle damage) No serious control issues. The pilot could trim it for hands off.

I would worry about the system showing any sign of binding though. Those are some huge servos driving the sweep and could pull voltage down at the RX or possibly overload the UBEC. Pull the center section cover and test, looking for what's going on.

Comment

• Could be the UBEC is struggling...You may be on to something there. I have heard folks have upgraded their UBECs to the 20amp variety or so. Sucks to think I have to upgrade anything on this jet but if I have to I will. Thanks as always for your input!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I'm upgrading to LiFe batteries to supply the RX. A pair of 1300 mah packs (because larger leads to problems placing a single pack and with 2 I get 2 plug-ins to the RX which is less likely to overload the heavy duty RX switch harnesses which are at best rated 7 amps.)

Comment

• The last few times I've cycled the wings they seem fine. Maybe it was just one of those "gremlins" we often encounter in the hobby. LOL

Just finished spraying the model to become the Jolly Roger livery. Letting the paint set at the moment. Have the decals coming from Callie next week. Easy enough livery conversion. The base grey stays the same, just have to add black trim to the aft canopy section, ventral fins and tails. I will have to paint over the red white and blue diagonal stripes on the sides of the fuse under the cockpit (I'll airbrush those areas using the gull grey from Model Masters) and that's pretty much it. I'll post some photos later.

Really looking forward to this being my first full weathering attempt on a jet. This is a screen grab from the F-14 model in the Real Flight simulator. I love the way it looks, especially the streaking on the wings. I will try to match this effect. But I won't even bother lifting the airbrush until I've had at least half a dozen successful sorties with her first!

:Silly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	weathering.PNG
Views:	904
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	115530
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• "gremlins" never get better without being fixed. It will come back at the worst possible time.

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                      "gremlins" never get better without being fixed. It will come back at the worst possible time.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	115536

LOL Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just having some fun. I will keep a close eye on it.

This thread's been pretty dead...Everybody trying to recover from the flu and wait for better weather to fly this sweet jet again or what? ;)
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Happy with the results. Especially no paint being peeled up by the tape! Always a bonus!

Attached Files
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I need to look away..... you're making me want one now too Todd.

Comment

• You do have to realize that a normal banked turn and applying the rudder (which typically gives asymetric thrust) can drive the nose straight down. so you want to have a switch to normally lock the throttles in sync vs the programmed rudder mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                              I need to look away..... you're making me want one now too Todd.
                              LOOK! LOOOOOK!! LOL
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• A few more shots taken on my lunch break to potentially cause RCjetdude's bank account to take a dip. LOL
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                  A few more shots taken on my lunch break to potentially cause RCjetdude's bank account to take a dip. LOL
                                  Mine is in jeopardy as well...
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Todd, you're killing me! I just recently purchased the 90mm F-15C then my bank account took a dip over this to replace my decomissioned Stinger 90 as part of our clubs support our local hobby store event.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180130_211339.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.3 KB ID:	115656

All the while, I am eagerly anticipating a new awesome Freewing release "soonish" you said. The F-14 has been high on my "want list" for awhile now and while I have been waiting for a new release I am getting weaker. Oh and did I mention that my 14 year old needs braces? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Mine is in jeopardy as well...
                                      At least I'm not alone...:Scared:

Comment

• Just buy it!! You guys know you want to!! Mine has been ready to fly for 4 months and she just sits there, begging me to fly.... ;) Just didn't want to maiden it at the school, and the flying field is 30 minutes from me, so I have been lazy....

Comment

• Remember its a heavy bird. Its not going to glide as well as most of the foam EDFs.

Comment

Working...
                                          X