Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, first post here. I’ve been flying rc for the last 15 years and sadly just found this site and motion rc when I got interested in edfs. I found the F-14 and knew instantly that I would have to have one. I grew up watching F-14s of VF-84 has my dad was the squadrons maitnance officer and it has always been my faviortie aircraft. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to ask if this plane was going to available for a while longer, I see that it’s been out for a few years. I’m sure it will be the first of many edfs from motion rc for me. This thread is awesome! Tons of info! Thanks

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Better late to the party than missing it altogether! ;)

You will find this community to be full of helpful folks who love sharing ideas, tips, mod secrets and everything else under the Sun related to the hobby we all love. To the best of my knowledge the F-14 should still be around for years. When the time comes for you to purchase one, this is the thread that will be a great resource for you. If you have questions, folks will be happy to help! Welcome!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• HK182, Welcome to the "Squawk". Looking forward to pictures of your F-14 build. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hello everyone. My addiction is spiraling out of control and I'm the proud new parent of an F14 that's due to arrive on Tuesday! :) I've been reading as well as watching RCGeek's setup and review. It seems like people are having widely different results with this jet and I figured I'd ask a few questions while I have the chance. I'm going to be flying off of a 640' geotex runway so I'm not initially concerned with upgrading the power. That being said....I'm not opposed to putting the 80mm system from the A10 or even adding something different altogether. If anyone has done something different I'd love to hear about it. I just watched saw this video last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRuzv5NZSfI&t=42s and I'd love to be able to duplicate his flight time and overall experience with this plane. Anyone have any idea what fans and esc he's running? There are no details in the description and I'm hoping he's on here.

My plan is to set it up with full span flaps with spoiler assist for roll, but maybe reduce the full flaps by a few degrees based on what some have said. I've been using Spectrum 9030T receivers in my other planes and prefer having a satellite or two for redundancy. My plan is to use the AR12310T power safe with a separate 2000mah battery and the AS3000 gyro. With the extra channel I'd like to experiment with the separate nose wheel steering heading hold. (not necessary, but why not) My only concern is that I recall the 80mm A10 having a 5 volt limit and some guys reporting that they fried everything when accidentally plugging in a higher voltage battery for setup. I think that receiver puts out 6volts but correct me if I'm over thinking this. Does anyone know if this plane has the same limitation with that central control board?

I'm very excited about having this plane in my hanger and I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks in advance and looking forward to sharing my experience as well.

Dave

Comment

• Yes would be interested in his power plant set up as well! I replied to his Youtube vid inquiring about his configuration... Big Batteries to say the least! :-)
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
              Yes would be interested in his power plant set up as well! I replied to his Youtube vid inquiring about his configuration... Big Batteries to say the least! :-)
              I'd feel a little less like an idiot if I hadn't posted on here and youtube before expanding his comments. Turns out he had all of the details posted. I think I initially saw a different video that had no comments. :Loser: I think I've been watching too much youtube.

Comment

• If you aren’t completely sold on the powersafe RX, (I think I saw your comments on RCG) I would just use a 10 channel Admiral/Lemon RX with a HobbyEagle A3S3. You want as little weight in the nose as possible.
                at least that’s the way mine is. I also use RC Geeks same setup with that combo.

I saw on a thread that someone said the HobbyEagle gyros can’t run dual ailerons with dual elevators. That is wrong, the A3S3 has 5 ports, LA-LE-R-RA-RE. The only downside is that it requires at least one channel on your RX to change modes. If you want to adjust gains in flight, you’ll need two...
                Attached Files

Comment

• I did state that you couldn't do the duals on the Hobby Eagle, but I haven't ever owned a A3S3. The A3L- and A3 will not accommodate the duals.... Sorry for the bad data!! Thanks C17!! :Cool:
                  Last edited by Hardway; Feb 18, 2019, 04:06 PM. Reason: Realized that the A3S3 is the Super 3 V2... Sorry for being confused!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post
                    If you aren’t completely sold on the powersafe RX, (I think I saw your comments on RCG) I would just use a 10 channel Admiral/Lemon RX with a HobbyEagle A3S3. You want as little weight in the nose as possible.
                    at least that’s the way mine is. I also use RC Geeks same setup with that combo.
                    I prematurely went ahead and ordered the AR12301 and it came in today. I won't make a decision until I get the F14 tomorrow and gauge how well it will fit..... but it is a little big. I saw your post and was planning a similar setup. I messaged back and forth with Miguel from Spectrum and concluded that I can skip using a separate battery and wire the BEC directly to the receiver through a EC3 connector. LHS had a 4inch plug for $8 that saved me the soldering. That eliminates my concern about using more than 5volts to power the board, and I can still add a couple satellite receivers as well as a single connector to the AS3000 gyro. If it won't fit then I'll hang onto it anyway....I will eventually need it, that's almost guaranteed :) I've got a few days off so I'll do my best to get it together and report back with what I find in case anyone else is considering something similar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                      I did state that you couldn't do the duals on the Hobby Eagle, but I haven't ever owned a A3S3. The A3L- and A3 will not accommodate the duals.... Sorry for the bad data!! Thanks C17!! :Cool:
                      Oh you’re fine haha. I did not mean to call you out personally at all. I wasn’t sure what thread it was that I read that. I’m sorry

Comment

• Originally posted by dlink72 View Post

I prematurely went ahead and ordered the AR12301 and it came in today. I won't make a decision until I get the F14 tomorrow and gauge how well it will fit..... but it is a little big. I saw your post and was planning a similar setup. I messaged back and forth with Miguel from Spectrum and concluded that I can skip using a separate battery and wire the BEC directly to the receiver through a EC3 connector. LHS had a 4inch plug for $8 that saved me the soldering. That eliminates my concern about using more than 5volts to power the board, and I can still add a couple satellite receivers as well as a single connector to the AS3000 gyro. If it won't fit then I'll hang onto it anyway....I will eventually need it, that's almost guaranteed :) I've got a few days off so I'll do my best to get it together and report back with what I find in case anyone else is considering something similar.
                        I also wanted to use Spektrum AS3X in my F-14 and tried using the AR9350. I couldn’t program it to function correctly at the time so I swapped with the A3S3. It would be a perfect scenario if the AS3000 was compatible with the 9030T. Then you would have everything.

I put the 9350 in the 90mm F-22 with a bunch of telemetry sensors. It works fine for that plane, but I wanted to be able to use tailerons when full flaps are selected and I couldn’t program it normally like I can with the HobbyEagle gyro.

Comment

• I too was looking to put AS3X in my Tomcat, but needing a PC to program it... hard pass. The blue HobbyEagle A3L is my go-to and continues to serve just fine :)

Comment

• Finally took the leap and my Tomcat will be here Friday...

Comment

• :Cool:You won’t regret it!

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words guys! I can’t wait to work up to this beautiful F-14. I will be ordering one very soon. A friend of mine gave me a eflite viper, so I’ll be using it as a jet trainer. I’ve sadly never had an edf. Can’t wait to get started. Also wanted to give a shout out to the RC Geek! I’ll be ordering his centerburners with the 14. I saw his A-7, and my dad was also the maintenance officer of VA-72, and turned wrenches on the excact aircraft that the RC Geek modeled. It was so cool to see it and my dads reaction when I showed it to him. Thanks!!

Comment

• :Cool:Welcome!!!

Comment

• Hi guys, I'm new here, and over the years have owned many Freewing jets and have always found them to fly well and look great! The last few years I have become fascinated with micro turbine such as the JetCat P20, and lately the KingTech K30 Both these engines make excellent power plants for 90mm size foam jets and have now converted 5 different jets. I have just ordered a F14 ARF from Motion RC and will be mounting my little K30 in it, so should go great! I will also keep it simple and mount the engine under-slung, such as shown in this video. The Kolibri T25 is about the same thrust as the K30, so if mine goes as well as his, I will be rapt!! My radio is a DX18, so if anyone has good model file, please let me know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzjWU5hbke8

Comment

• Aussie1, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Which five EDFs have you already converted to turbine?

I look forward to your F-14 conversion.
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                        Aussie1, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Which five EDFs have you already converted to turbine?

I look forward to your F-14 conversion.
                                        Hi, so far, the Freewing jets converted are the 70mm Sabre, SU35, Yak130 and F104 Starfighter. All flew extremely well, but some worse than the others! The F104 was probably too heavy and wasn't fun to fly, so converted back to EDF and sold it. The Yak was fantastic, but the undercarriage could not stand up to grass operations, so same fate as the 104. The Sabre and SU35 are fantastic flyers with the P20 turbine and generally, the converted turbine version works out lighter than it's EDF version with a 5000 6S LiPo in it. I find that 700 MLs of fuel is good for 6-7 minutes of flying, plus it's lighter by the end of the flight!.
                                        Other small jets that I have are a Sebart mini Avanti with a K30 , a Taft Viper with a K45 and a HobbyKing Skysword with a P20 in it. Previous jets converted but also sold were a CMP Couger and Hawk. I have all electronics and the pump mounted in a small ply cradle, and this plus the engine can be swapped out into another air-frame in about 5 minutes. I have now sold all of my large turbine jets to fund my small ones and they are just so easy to transport and operate. Recently, I attended a jet day and had four fully assembled jets in the back of my Kia Sorrento wagon!! In the past, I had to use my model trailer, which has now also gone. The F14 will be a very interesting model because it will be minus two big batteries plus two EDF's and speed controllers. The K30 with about 600 mills of fuel weights approximately one kg, so I'm guessing a take off weight of 4 kgs is feasible. These pictures show just some of my conversions, and I try to keep it simple by making my own pipes and fuel tanks. Mounts for small turbines can be kept very light because there is no vibration and only 3 kgs of thrust is generated. I'm still reading through this excellent thread but will probably need help programming my DX18 to get the most out of this jet, and delivery is still at least three weeks away, so will certainly post progress once I start on it.

Comment

• I’ll post the file if no one else does. The IX-12 is the same file as the DX-18. I did the file swap the other way around when I got the new TX.

Comment

Working...
                                          X