• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Freewing Twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat

Things turned out very well on Doug's maiden flight

Comment

Given the new Tomcat's propensity to get sensitive or 'twitchy' in the roll axis during swept-wing config'n, I'm thinking it'd behoove me to install a stabilizer. I have both the Eagle A3 and A3-L units in hand. My concern is, with stabilization rates set for the swept state, might it cause an oscillation due to too-high stabilization rates when the wings are extended? How about any potential conflict with the onboard controls mixing board, between the two modes?
      Finally, any suggestions as to which Eagle unit would be preferable, & why?
      TIA!

Comment

We would recommend that you make the first couple flights without the Gyro to get a feel for the plane in its natural state. then if you do decide to add one then the A3L would be all that was needed. Most important thing here is to make sure you have the ability to turn the Gyro off in flight if it does not react the way you anticipate. With the wings swept back, that would be the critical phase where oscillations would most likely occur as this is the performance phase so I would adjust the Gains for that portion at around 25-30% Max. Make sure you wire it in between the receiver and the wiring coming out from the Mixing board using the Aileron, Elevator and Rudder outputs. Be sure to verify all control surfaces are responding properly and verify with Gyro off there is no input from Gyro. We have not tested this on the F-14 as of yet due to MotionRC recommending this plane to the advanced flier. If you do this you will be the first so let us know how things go. I believe it will work without a hitch.

Comment

Thanks Wayne.
          One more question. For some odd reason, in my manual on the page showing the CG location, the image of the plane itself is washed out completely, only showing the very faintest of markings. The CG mark itself is the only ink I can see on the page, & does me no good without being able to see where on the plane it is.

Can you give me a mark, ie a panel line across the underside or something I can index off of, and the measurement from that point to determine the proper CG placement mark?
          Thanx again!

Comment

Originally posted by StarHopper
            Thanks Wayne.
            One more question. For some odd reason, in my manual on the page showing the CG location, the image of the plane itself is washed out completely, only showing the very faintest of markings. The CG mark itself is the only ink I can see on the page, & does me no good without being able to see where on the plane it is.

Can you give me a mark, ie a panel line across the underside or something I can index off of, and the measurement from that point to determine the proper CG placement mark?
            Thanx again!
            Try this link to the manual https://www.motionrc.com/content/manuals/freewing/F14.pdf Let me know if you are unable to open it.
            [hr]
            https://www.motionrc.com/content/manuals/freewing/F14.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC
              Thanks Wayne.

Thanx again!
              Try this link to the manual https://www.motionrc.com/content/manuals/freewing/F14.pdf Let me know if you are unable to open it.

[hr]
              That link gives a network error for me... :(

Steve
              AMA 95495
              Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
              Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer
                Thanks Wayne.

Thanx again!

[hr]

Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer
                  Thanks Wayne.

Thanx again!

[hr]

Steve
                  Same here - network error & re-try says contact originator ... ?
                  Attached thumbnail won't expand either - doesn't show as a link on mouseover. ?
                  Can someone just type a description as asked - reference some panel mark & distance from it?? Thanks.

Comment

StarHopper,
                    I had no problem opening the PDF so here is what I saw for the CG panel references on page 12 of the manual.
                    Where the extended wing leading edge meets the fuselage, the first horizontal panel line forward of that point (the horizontal panel line runs to the center),
                    the CG is aft of that line by 87mm or 3-1/2 inches. This reference is as viewed from the top of the aircraft.
                    I opened the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2015.
                    Best Regards
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                      StarHopper,
                      I had no problem opening the PDF so here is what I saw for the CG panel references on page 12 of the manual.
                      Where the extended wing leading edge meets the fuselage, the first horizontal panel line forward of that point (the horizontal panel line runs to the center),
                      the CG is aft of that line by 87mm or 3-1/2 inches. This reference is as viewed from the top of the aircraft.
                      I opened the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2015.
                      Best Regards
                      Mucho thanx Bronco -- I'll take that info into the shop with me mañana . :) 

Comment

CG Photo

Comment

F-14 CG Image
                          [hr]
                          I think I finally got a photo you can use StarHopper, try clicking on that one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Morning flights

Found my main gear having extreme looseness. This is obviously the reason I've been running into the grass on take off and landing. Once I got home they were...

JP eBrakes are on point now that I have tightened up the main gear on the F-15. No more swerving into the grass on landings. Love the way the F-104 handles, ...

Comment

Im finding myself looking forward to your vids every day, I really enjoy them. Have you had any incidents with the 14,15 or 104?
                              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CT
                                Im finding myself looking forward to your vids every day, I really enjoy them. Have you had any incidents with the 14,15 or 104?
                                Chris
                                I replaced the fuse on the 104. It failed to pull out of a dive. Later inspection revealed a disconnected elevator servo rod which could have been the cause. No problems with the F-15 except misaligned main gear but I adjusted the offending gear last night. The F-14 is not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by urrl
                                  Originally posted by CT
                                  Chris
                                  I replaced the fuse on the 104. It failed to pull out of a dive. Later inspection revealed a disconnected elevator servo rod which could have been the cause. No problems with the F-15 except misaligned main gear but I adjusted the offending gear last night. The F-14 is not mine.
                                  Urrl, you and Doug are killing me down here! I'm trying "not" to spend anymore money for a while. Ha! 
                                  Doug is becoming a master at those nose up landings and touch and go's. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Wolf
                                    Originally posted by urrl
                                    Originally posted by CT
                                    Chris
                                    Urrl, you and Doug are killing me down here! I'm trying "not" to spend anymore money for a while. Ha! 
                                    Doug is becoming a master at those nose up landings and touch and go's. Awesome!

Thanks CT. Here's another of Doug's flights after an aileron/elevator mod for swept wing

Comment

Sweet. so you set the Ailerons to 0 throw in the swept position, dramatic difference.
                                      Chris

Comment

F-14 tomcat simply beautiful.

Comment

Just completed the maiden flight on my Tomcat last weekend, and I can't get enough of it. With the wings out, it flies similarly to the F-86, and looks amazing when shooting across the sky with wings swept. Here are a few pictures from the maiden.

Comment

Working...
                                          X