Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I looove the low viz...but i also really dig the 70s schemes

Comment

• Hey guys, I don't have this model yet, but I've got a project where I might be able to use the canopy of the F-14. If possible, could someone measure their model and tell me what the length, width and height of just the plastic, not the hatch that it sits on.
      thanks for any info ..........👍

Comment

• Does everyone run the stock control board that handles the mixes or is it plagued with all the same issues the blue boxes seem to have?

Comment

• Stock control board is just fine if you don't want to do any special mixing or flight modes.
          Pat

Comment

• I plan on running an AS3X ar9350 reviver in it. Do you think the gyro will cause a problem with the control board or will I be ok?

Comment

• I haven't flown this, so take whatever I'm saying with appropriate skepticism. I've been considering this model with AS3X for some time now.

Whenever I've seen this bird fly, it looks and is described like being two separate planes. Wings out it is docile, wings in and it loves to roll.

I've always thought that AS3X would be ideal. Separate flight modes with separate and appropriate stabilizing for each wing state seems like an ideal setup. More roll gains when swept than when extended.

​​​​​​What I haven't determined is wing type. When swept back the wing type may need to change. This is not within the capability of the AS3X programmer. Therefore finding settings and mixes that are meaningful for each state would need to be programmed into the receiver. This is quite possible, but I have no idea how it would interact with the box.

It is possible to test the interaction by hooking everything up, and setting your initial gains and include heading hold. Heading hold will hold the control surfaces in place while you manually move the model around. Just be very careful to turn it off before you fly.

Comment

• Gilatrout all the reasons you stated are why I’m wondering if it is actually going to work at all with AS3X. See I am running ar9350 AS3X in my f18 and f22 and spent a loooong time trying to figure out tailerons for both planes. The issue is that, as you know you must program all your mixes through the receiver so it knows what flight surfaces to interact with and what surface does what. You are supposed to be able to mix channels this way but no matter how I tried I just couldn’t get it to work. If I mix it through the tx it works great but mixing through the rx seems impossible. Even horizon tec support was no help lol. I’m thinking that the control board might be able to trick the AS3X into thinking it’s still on a normal single tail / single aileron setup so the gyro will still work and the board will distribute the mixes for tailerons accordingly. That’s my hope anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaptorMan2275 View Post
                  Gilatrout all the reasons you stated are why I’m wondering if it is actually going to work at all with AS3X. See I am running ar9350 AS3X in my f18 and f22 and spent a loooong time trying to figure out tailerons for both planes. The issue is that, as you know you must program all your mixes through the receiver so it knows what flight surfaces to interact with and what surface does what. You are supposed to be able to mix channels this way but no matter how I tried I just couldn’t get it to work. If I mix it through the tx it works great but mixing through the rx seems impossible. Even horizon tec support was no help lol. I’m thinking that the control board might be able to trick the AS3X into thinking it’s still on a normal single tail / single aileron setup so the gyro will still work and the board will distribute the mixes for tailerons accordingly. That’s my hope anyway.
                  Yeah, their tech support isn't up to speed on the nuances involved. There are a couple of the guys involved on the development side of things that are active on rcgroups. Generally I don't like rcgroups as the signal to noise ratio is too high, but if you can hook up with Andy Kuntz ( I think I spelled it correctly) , he could probably answer and if not point you to the developer that can.

Comment

• I bypassed the control board and ran my tailerons and rudder thru gyro while the ailerons are run thru gyro but not stabilized. My gyro is a frsky s8r in delta wing config. I added an extra 4 channels so I run 12 channels. I can change amount of roll via flight modes so when wings fold back my gain changes along with amount of throws. I don’t know if you can do all this with that reciever since I not a spektrum guy.

Comment

• I never thought about trying to set up a delta wing in the AS3X. I guess if the tailerons are stabilizing the ailerons don’t need to. Maybe I’ll give that a shot. Has anyone tried to do rotating mains the the real f14? I’m wondering if the retracts from eflite’s su 30 will work.

Comment

• A video of the Tomcat mixed with in-game DCS footage.

Comment

• Originally posted by AeroCali View Post
                          A video of the Tomcat mixed with in-game DCS footage.
                          AC, Welcome to Hobby Squawk and thanks for the vid. Very Well Done. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Over 300 flights with my Tomcat, 3 different fuselages, several crashes, but after all this time and ordered parts this bird delivers. I finally have her fully dialed in on 10 channels. Flight modes, mixes, gyro. I would like to give an extensive review on what to do with this jet as soon as it comes out the box. This was today, along side the A4 skyhawk on a beautiful day in South Florida.

Comment

• Got a about 15 flights on my stock tomcat now and loving it. Only mod is D85MG servos and a paint job. Have had a couple flights where I’ve heard the motors “hiccup” simultaneously and wondered what it was. Had a
                              brown out on my 90mm F-22 today where I totally lost the motor and flight controls, but was able to get just the flight controls back after a few seconds and dead sticked it back for a landing. Anyone else had this issue? Should I upgrade the BEC? If so, did those that have done it cut the red wire from the stock esc to the throttle Y cable just on one motor as shown below?
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	5E11E9AA-BA59-4750-9A7B-0375F8728267.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	237506

Comment

• Yes cut the red wire
                                Planes
                                -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• I finally was able to wrap up the thrust testing of the F-14 after switching to inrunners. The results speak for their self, I can't wait to get this plane in the air. Hope you enjoy it.
                                  Also, be on the look out for the F-14 mods kits as Rich Baker, RCinformer, will be releasing a video here shortly.

Planes
                                  -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                  -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                                    Yes cut the red wire
                                    Why ruin a perfectly good ESC by cutting wire
                                    Just lift the plastic locking tab on the connectors red lead pin and pull it out of the connector and wrap it with some electrical tape to isolate it from inadvertently shorting out the ESC.
                                    This will allow you to reuse the ESC down the road in another application
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                                      Yes cut the red wire
                                      Hmmmm....are you sure? Because after further reading it looks like you only do that if the ESC has its own BEC....which the Tomcat doesn’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Why ruin a perfectly good ESC by cutting wire
                                        Just lift the plastic locking tab on the connectors red lead pin and pull it out of the connector and wrap it with some electrical tape to isolate it from inadvertently shorting out the ESC.
                                        This will allow you to reuse the ESC down the road in another application
                                        Originally posted by Gvasiloff View Post

It's not ruined, just add another terminal if ever needed. I mention cut because that is what he asked. Doesn't take much lifting to disengage

Hmmmm....are you sure? Because after further reading it looks like you only do that if the ESC has its own BEC....which the Tomcat doesn’t.
                                        Sorry, brain fart. You cut the stock BEC off the battery wire leads and use those cut leads to put in your new BEC. My apologizes

Cut where my line is and solder your new BEC there. Installed a castle 20amp

Link to mine: http://www.castlecreations.com/en/cc...ro-010-0004-01
                                        Attached Files
                                        Planes

Comment

• Seems simple enough. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X