Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing Twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had a grumman day at the field yesterday. Had my f8f and f14 out for some great flights. F7f belongs to my dad.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post
      Well I picked up a F-14 ARF, I have wanted one for a while now and I was inspired by Cosair Nut’s build/paint videos, I figured while my flying fields are shut down and with all this extra time I’d make it happen. I’m filling in panel lines, repainting and using A-10 ESCs with T-33 9 blade inrunners. Might test out the 12 blade rotor eventually.
      I designed this 3D printed main gear brace. I don’t fly off grass but my clubs runway has it’s issues and I figured for the occasional hard landing it’d be worth it. Plus I have the time..
      I’m open to any and all feedback on the design, especially before I glue or epoxy it in. Thats my other question, do you guys think I should glue it in with Foam Cure or use epoxy? The glue I'd use is similar to the included freewing glue and has a bit of give to it.
      The brace weighs 35g with 15% infill but was honestly plenty strong with 10% infill as I increased the wall thickness and top/bottom layers.
      I also plan to strengthen the nose gear, likely with some variation of the RCINFORMER’s method.
      If others are interested I can post the STL also.
      Those look great! I'd be interested in the .stl's. I'm rebuilding mine and might consider installing those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
        We had a grumman day at the field yesterday. Had my f8f and f14 out for some great flights. F7f belongs to my dad.
        Awesome job! Pics look fantastic. 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post

Those look great! I'd be interested in the .stl's. I'm rebuilding mine and might consider installing those.
          Attached! Just mirror about the long axis in your slicer for the opposite side.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the file! I printed up a set yesterday for the one I'm going to be working on soon. Nice solid structure and low weight.
            Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
              Thanks for the file! I printed up a set yesterday for the one I'm going to be working on soon. Nice solid structure and low weight.
              Nice, no problem!
              Quick notes I forgot to mention
              -When clearing out the foam for the flat bit on the end (did that for more glue surface area in an additional direction) be careful to not go too deep on the inner side (closest to jet centerline) as the duct for the edf is just below. You cold even trim off the inner portion of the flat to be safe.
              -You can use the brace for the opposite side, placed upside down to trace on the foam for where to cut, or you could also print 1 more and stop the print short (before the long bits stick up when printing upside down) just flip it over for the other side.
              -Removing the foam on either side of the end of the carbon spar and you will be at the top of the gear mount, thats the depth of foam to be removed for the top of the part that sits flush with the foam.
              If you have any questions just let me know! Mine when in without a hitch, and literally snapped on to the gear mount perfectly.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the installation tips! I've had my second F-14 for several months now, but other projects have gotten in the way (been playing with turbines lately). Now that Summer is here (building season for us in the Arizona desert) I'll get back to it.
                Pat

Comment

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
                    We had a grumman day at the field yesterday. Had my f8f and f14 out for some great flights. F7f belongs to my dad.
                    Your Tomcat looks outstanding. I had the opportunity to see them often throughout the 80's and 90's and your weathering looks great. Excellent job!

Comment

• I got a crazy flight with the wild teenagers at my field a couple weeks back... take a look... Sunset flight so cool to see all of the LEDs shining bright!

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Can someone confirm that the stock decals applied at the factory are water slide?

I'm planning to give this thing a make over. Just want know what I'm getting myself into before it arrives.

Thanks,

Comment

• Originally posted by Door Guns View Post
                          Can someone confirm that the stock decals applied at the factory are water slide?

I'm planning to give this thing a make over. Just want know what I'm getting myself into before it arrives.

Thanks,
                          Yes, they are water slide. Just paint right over them.
                          Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                            Yes, they are water slide. Just paint right over them.
                            Thanks for the info. I'm hopping I can wet them wet and remove them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Door Guns View Post

Thanks for the info. I'm hopping I can wet them wet and remove them.
                              Don't bother, it won't work. They have a glue on the back that sets when dry. Wetting them will not loosen the glue. Just paint over them, you won't be able to tell they were there. Lightly sand them with 400 grit if you feel it's necessary.
                              Pat

Comment

• Hi Folks,

I spent over 10 years flying and enjoying various RC planes and cars, but have been away from it for many years and now getting back into RC. I bought an E-flight Apprentice STS 1.5m to get started and get comfortable. I also got an E-flight P-51D Mustang 1.5m to transition to from the trainer. I just received my Freewing F-14 Tomcat, unpacked it and wow, what a beauty!

The other 2 planes are ready and I will start flying the trainer this week in local RC club. I plan to take my time building the F-14 and won't fly it until I am very comfortable with P-51, I might even get a beginner EDF prior to flying F-14.

I am trying to get the right radio system for the F-14. For the other 2 planes, I am using Spektrum DX8 G2. My goal was to follow RC Geek’s radio setup which I think needs 9 CH. I got a Spektrum Ix12 but I have seen mixed reviews on various website for Ix12. I am now thinking to return Ix12 and was thinking to either go with another DX8 G2, use 7-Ch as per instructions and use a gyro to help with flight stabilization or get a DX9. If at all possible, I prefer to stay with Spektrum brand for buddy box reasons.

I appreciate any input you guys have on radio selection or anything else regarding F-14.

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                                  I plan to take my time building the F-14 and won't fly it until I am very comfortable with P-51, I might even get a beginner EDF prior to flying F-14.
                                  Welcome to Hobby Squawk N4Speed ! Sounds like you have a good plan in place overall. I have to suggest that I definitely would recommend some decent EDF training before flying this F-14. Even being comfortable with the P-51, there's little resemblance to the F-14 as far as overall flight characteristics, wing load and especially the complexity of the wing-sweep functionality. As we have posted on our YouTube page recently, there's a vast difference in flying prop versus EDF jets so I hope you take that in consideration. Enjoy the progress and much success to you!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk N4Speed ! Sounds like you have a good plan in place overall. I have to suggest that I definitely would recommend some decent EDF training before flying this F-14. Even being comfortable with the P-51, there's little resemblance to the F-14 as far as overall flight characteristics, wing load and especially the complexity of the wing-sweep functionality. As we have posted on our YouTube page recently, there's a vast difference in flying prop versus EDF jets so I hope you take that in consideration. Enjoy the progress and much success to you!
                                    Thank you Sir! I agree, what is a good beginner EDF?

Also, any suggestion on radio? back when I was flying, Futaba, HiTec & Airtronics were the way to go, but I am not having much luck finding 9 CH plus in these 3 brands. The only Airtronics I found was developed 10 years ago and looks like they are no longer in business in USA. I found Futaba 10JA but it comes with 8-CH R3008SB Receiver.

I am tempted to give iX12 a try but in most review sites, it only gets 3.5/5

Comment

• For me personally, I would look at the smaller size EDFs and work your way up...There are a lot of EDFs we carry that are considered "trainer-like"...Look for something with a solid wing surface at first...Start in the 64mm/70mm range and work your way up from there. We don't have any EDFs that have the swept wing function other than the F-14. So that is just something you will have to learn on as you fly it. For radio, I have flown Spektrum for most of my two plus decades in the hobby. Futaba is fine too...I have the iX12 as my current radio. It has its warts but I do love the touch screen functionality. Otherwise look for a DX9 or something comparable if you would consider Spektrum.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hi Guys.

Im looking to upgrade my stock 6 blade setup to the stock 12 blade version and still use the 80 amp ESC`s

When you look at the spare parts section on motion RC site there are 2 different 12 blade EDF units.

What is the difference, and has freewing changed the EDF during the time it has been out ?
                                        One has a metal spinner, and the other has a plastic spinner

https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...-w-3530-1680kv

https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...r-motors-black

Click image for larger version  Name:	freewing-80mm-12-blade-metal-edf-set-for-outrunner-motors-black-motion-rc-2403301949489_1024x1024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	258855Click image for larger version  Name:	freewing-80mm-12-blade-edf-6s-power-system-w-3530-1680kv-motion-rc-5492402159665_1024x1024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	258856 Click image for larger version

Name:	101416502_10222373595186724_8424055267037020160_o.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	258857Click image for larger version

Name:	101428079_10222354171381141_7509583307252695040_o.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	258858

Comment

• Well, 12 blade EDF`s arived, and are installed. Now I just have to get the CG in spec again, and looking forward to some better noise than the 6 blade fans :-)
                                          One fan was in perfect balance, and the other just needed a tiny bit of tape to balance out as perfect as the other. Looking forward to the next flight :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_231959.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	259404​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_233652.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	259405Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_231856.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	104.3 KB