Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those look like to be the inrunner

I did a test a while back on the stock 12 blade fans vs the inrunners
    Since I fly off grass, I felt that the heavy F-14 needs more power. Enter the inrunners from Freewing.Brenden's, who is running FMS fans.Brenden's channel ...

Thanks for all the support regarding the main landing gear plates guys! Have some parts in the works for the F-18 too
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Changed the stock scheme slightly. Just used Humbrol model paints and my airbrush to change the look a little. Humbol number 129, and 130 seem to be a verry close match to the stock paints.
      Only added a new air force insignia on the nose, as it was painteed over with the stripes. The yellow Tamiya masking tape is great. It does not pull paint off the foam.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200612_193539.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	259555Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200612_193633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	259556Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200612_193548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	259557Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200612_193528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	259558Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200612_171245.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.9 KB ID:	259559

Comment

• The servo plugs in my F-14 are slightly larger than the slots in my Spektrum AR9030T RX. The RX came with an iX12 system. I've attached a photo, any feedback is appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
          The servo plugs in my F-14 are slightly larger than the slots in my Spektrum AR9030T RX. The RX came with an iX12 system. I've attached a photo, any feedback is appreciated.
          The ends are not larger where the difference is the ends on the free wing servo's do not have the 45 degree bevel deep enough to match the slot in your receiver. If you have a JR servo laying around take a look at the end and you will see the difference in the beveled plugs. What most of us have been doing is take an Exacto knife and make the bevel more pronounced you will find once making the bevel on you free wing plug ins deeper you will have no problem plugging them in. The servo ends free wing uses are a cheap Chinese knock off, and there are alot more manufacturer's using these JR knock off plugs to keep there costs down

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

The ends are not larger where the difference is the ends on the free wing servo's do not have the 45 degree bevel deep enough to match the slot in your receiver. If you have a JR servo laying around take a look at the end and you will see the difference in the beveled plugs. What most of us have been doing is take an Exacto knife and make the bevel more pronounced you will find once making the bevel on you free wing plug ins deeper you will have no problem plugging them in just. servo ends free wing uses are a cheap Chinese knock off
            Thank you Sir!

Comment

• I will be using a Spektrum iX12 for my F-14. I like how RC Geek has his F-14 configured, I have his setup file, but looking at some of the previous post on this thread, there seem to be problem with ailerons and flaps with the wings swept.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has iX12 working with F-14 similar to RC Geek could email their setup file. My email is mfar700@outlook.com.

Comment

Thank you Sir! I agree, what is a good beginner EDF?

Also, any suggestion on radio? back when I was flying, Futaba, HiTec & Airtronics were the way to go, but I am not having much luck finding 9 CH plus in these 3 brands. The only Airtronics I found was developed 10 years ago and looks like they are no longer in business in USA. I found Futaba 10JA but it comes with 8-CH R3008SB Receiver.

I am tempted to give iX12 a try but in most review sites, it only gets 3.5/5
                Bae hawk 70 mm cheap good gear easy landing red easy to see and it can do every trick in the book easy to transport and repair and the struts are thick wire you can bend back into place it also has lights it's a six cell ...

If you want a four cell go with the freezing rebel long flight times on 3000 s

Comment

I will be using a Spektrum iX12 for my F-14. I like how RC Geek has his F-14 configured, I have his setup file, but looking at some of the previous post on this thread, there seem to be problem with ailerons and flaps with the wings swept.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has iX12 working with F-14 similar to RC Geek could email their setup file. My email is mfar700@outlook.com.
                  Try this, I have it in my iX12,
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Davegr123 View Post

Try this, I have it in my iX12,
                    Thank you!! I'll give it a try.

Comment

• Hey guys, I've just started putting together my Tomcat and I noticed there is a little green circuit board (just forward of the main white mixing board where everything is plugged into) that a servo wire/connector hanging off of it. What is that and where does it plug into? I can't seem to find any information or directions on it. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        Hey guys, I've just started putting together my Tomcat and I noticed there is a little green circuit board (just forward of the main white mixing board where everything is plugged into) that a servo wire/connector hanging off of it. What is that and where does it plug into? I can't seem to find any information or directions on it. Thanks in advance!
                        Does it have a red and black wire? If so that is the BEC, it power the RX
                        Planes
                        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by Door Guns View Post

Thanks for the info. I'm hopping I can wet them wet and remove them.
                          Acetone will melt the decals away without hurting the foam at all. When just changing the aircraft identification, but keeping the original paint scheme, I just dip a Q-tip into acetone and wipe off the decals. You mainly want to make sure to get rid of decals that cover panel lines or any type of impression in the foam.

You, and most reading, probably already know this info... but I figured I would bring it up for the newer members.

**I am only referring to this airplane, do not try acetone it on an EPS airplane like the SU-35. It will turn into a puddle right before your eyes. I pretest all glue, paint and random build\repair techniques on scrap pieces prior to my project airplane.

Comment

• Has anyone tried the F14 in the Real Flight simulator and flown the Freewing F14?
                            If so, how similar is the simulator vs actual?

I have the Freewing F14 but have never flow it nor any other EDF. I can land the F14 in the simulator without bouncing about 8 out of 10 times with a 8MPH cross wind.
                            I'm wondering how different the real thing would be.

TIA,Mike

Comment

• Very late to the party here but been having a blast building the tomcat up over the past few weeks. Lot of 3DP work has gone into it, from structural bracing and retract supports to a custom battery tray and an underbelly with naca intakes for ESC cooling.

First time using pigments (tamiya weathering master kits) for weathering and love the control it provides on building up the grime. Doesnt show up too well in photos but you can even mottle and fade the entire base coat, a subtle but nice effect. Still need the airbrush to really get stuck into the underside of the plane and heavier build ups.

Just need to triple check the radio programming and gyro config but otherwise she's all set for a maiden. Signed up to a new club with more room specifically to fly this thing lol, so need to get signed off on solo flight by an instructor there before the tomcat can take to the skies. She's a welcome addition to the hangar in the meantime.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                                retract supports

gyro config
                                Those are very impressive retract supports.

Which control surfaces are you affecting with the gyro?

I too, am very late to the party. I’m still in the “consideration” phase and the “do I have enough room to store another plane” phase.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Those are very impressive retract supports.

Which control surfaces are you affecting with the gyro?

I too, am very late to the party. I’m still in the “consideration” phase and the “do I have enough room to store another plane” phase.
                                  The receiver (S8R) is configured as a conventional aircraft and the 'box' remains responsible for mixing the pitch and roll axis to the taileron servos.

So - the tailerons are stabilised in the pitch and roll axis in all flight modes (albeit with lower gains and in swept wing configuration) and the rudders have stabilised yaw input. The wing ailerons run on their own channels as trailing-edge-up-spolierons (with wings out) - aka the RCGeek setup - and are not stabilised. They also shift down on the full flap setting. Radio programming took several hours given there are effectively two distinct flight modes; thankfully it's someting i find enjoyable, and OpenTX excels at.

I took GarrisonR's wonderfully thought out 3DP brace/support for the main retract housing (represented by the red box below) and integrated a strut brace (grey box) which bolts to it through the bottom of the fuse, so the whole thing is effectively one sub-structure supporting the main gear from the strut to the retract mount at the top of the fuse. Any landing that breaks that setup is not one you deserve to walk away from lol. The front retract support was adapted from Bmcormack's idea, who used plywood to achieve the same result. Guess that's the beauty of building up a plane that has 5 years worth of community developed improvements.

And yes, we said farewell to some good planes to make room for this one! Some nervous looks around the hangar with Freewing's latest announcement...

Comment

• WOW!

Comment

• All, I am also late to the F-14 party, just got mine and it is still in the box. I looked at RCInformer's gear upgrades and although I am sure they are perfect it is a very expensive way to go. I'll reinforce my mains and the nose gear by putting a G2 sheet above and running long screws through the foam.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                                        All, I am also late to the F-14 party, just got mine and it is still in the box. I looked at RCInformer's gear upgrades and although I am sure they are perfect it is a very expensive way to go. I'll reinforce my mains and the nose gear by putting a G2 sheet above and running long screws through the foam.
                                        It’s less than cost of a new fuse, not considering moving everything over. There’s a new mod that will be included in the kit here soon along with the battery tray, hardware, wing plates.

There’s going to be a promotion ran soon.
                                        Planes

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

It’s less than cost of a new fuse, not considering moving everything over. There’s a new mod that will be included in the kit here soon along with the battery tray, hardware, wing plates.

There’s going to be a promotion ran soon.
                                          Do you mean this will be a MotionRC upgrade kit?

Comment

Working...
                                          X