X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

KL, great looking pylon design. I followed your URL, got to Thingiverse, but Thingiverse seems to be reconstructing, (404 Errors). Could you post your design and STL files here, as well? Best, LB
    Thingi seems to have come back to life now.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Thingi seems to have come back to life now.
      Not now....
      AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post

Not now....
        Here's a link to the files:

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
          Here's a link to the files:
          KL, Got It and thank you for sharing your work. Very kind. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• What Elbee said.
            AMA 424553

Comment

• I'm thinking about getting the arf+ and setting up my own power system as well as a dual independent fpv system like I made in the czT28.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                I'm thinking about getting the arf+ and setting up my own power system as well as a dual independent fpv system like I made in the czT28.
                That's what I did regarding the power system. This is heavy plane and it can use as much grunt as you can justify buying. As for FPV, I don't do that but this is also a plane that does not fly in a stable manner if it goes too slow - tends to have poor roll authority as it approaches its stall speed. If you are used to flying FPV "fast", then you should not have a problem. I have yet to retract the wings as I'm very nervous about the controllability of it in that configuration. The big T28 can be a slow flying, very stable platform so (IMO from past FPV experience) it should be more FPV friendly.

Comment

• Yeah this one is more for high speed stuff kinda like my Flex Pirana. I really want speed coupled with pan and tilt. Only problem will be flight time, it'll be similar to my racing quad in that respect. I like race quads, but I just enjoy fixed wing fpv so much more. BTW here is a look from my T28 setup from both cameras

Comment

I'm thinking about getting the arf+ and setting up my own power system as well as a dual independent fpv system like I made in the czT28.
                    RM, I also bought the ARF+. It is in the queue following the Corsair (which is coming along nicely). I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• The third time's the charm! I used RC Geek's setup as the foundation for my approach to programming the F14. After a mixup with the aileron to elevon deflection in the first attempt and the left motor literally coming apart on the second, I finally had a beautiful flight, with a subsequent 3 more that were glorious.

One critical revelation that led to a successful 3rd maiden was that the trim while the wings are extended does not translate to the swept wing configuration, and vice versa; hence, every time I switched flight modes the plane would immediately jump to the previous configuration's trim setting causing the plane to snap quickly to that untrimmed configuration. To mitigate that from happening I used the LT/RT trim switches to adjust the ailerons while wings were extended and thankfully needed no trim while wings retracted, which resulted in completely seamless transitions between wing configurations.

I'm now going to upgrade the ESCs to the MIG-29 100s and the motors to the 1857kv inrunners. I deliberated extensively over whether to choose the 1920kv 9 blades over the 1857s, but I value more the sound of the 12 blade over the alleged speed of the 9 blade.

Does anyone have any experience with both the 1920kv and 1857kv motors in the F14 to be able to provide comparative comments (speed, power, sound, flight time, etc.)?

Comment

• Congrats on the build and maiden.
                        I have the 1920kv in my F14 (& Mig29) but not the 1857kv. My experience with experimenting between 9 and 12 blades in the same model is that the 12 blades provides more bite, better acceleration, part throttle performance.. and sound. The 9 blades offer lower amp draw all around and more "top speed".
                        Flight times depend on throttle usage, you can get similar flight times out of both setups depending on how the model is flown. If you're buzzing around full throttle a lot, 9 blades will yield slightly better flight times and can be really efficient flying scale too. Obviously a lot depends on the drag of the air frame (I feel like you already know this), a 9 blade fan in a draggy air frame will require more throttle so benefits are not quite there anyways. My T33 with the 1920kv flying around ,scale or touch and goes with a 6000 can stretch to like 6+ mins.
                        I'm happy with my setup up in the F14 but so are people with the FMS 12 blades that I've read about (I know not the 12b you asked about). I think unit price and sound are the two highest driving factors.

Edit* maybe weight too? I think the 1857kv 12b is a metal housing?

Comment

• Would you believe? Before I even got my hands on the 1857kv motors I came across and just ordered the unicorns, which produce nearly 8 lbs,. a piece... they are the FMS 80MM 3665 2100kv motors (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...FMMDF0092.html) I've seen 3280 variants, but never a 3665. I think I ordered the only 2 motors they had in stock, because it says backorder again.

The reason for using the 1857s, or the 1920s is that they are literal drop in replacements, because they have the exact dimensions of the 1680kv stock outrunner. However, the FMS motors will require some foam shaving to get a proper fit due to a 3mm increase in both the length of the unit and diameter of its intake flange. How did you all cut, burn, or shave foam to get the MFS motors to fit?

Here's a quick vid of the latest FMS 2000kv option... https://youtu.be/TMTYajb2BQE

Comment

• I just did a test this morning on my Freewing twin 80mm, now 90mm A-10. I had 12 blade fans in it. I put it on a table, on the wheels, and tied it to a hook in the wall with a fish scale in the line. Ran it up full throttle, and it pulled at 11 lbs. 12 oz.. I swapped out the fans for 9 blade. Went full throttle again. Pulled 12 lbs. 14 oz.!! Everything was the same except the fans. I'm keeping the 9 blades in it. The inrunner motors are Freewing 3672-1900KV. Batteries are 8000mah 100Cs. 130 amp ESCs. I hope someone can use this info. Thanks for reading. John

Comment

• Very cool, just for reference I have 4500mah packs and 5200 will the 5200 packs fit fine in the 14 or should I just run the 4500 packs? I just like the idea of the larger packs for my edfs whenever possible.

Comment

• My 8000 packs are side by side. Not one in front of the other. They fit great with no play. Thanks for the “like” Rifleman.

Comment

• Just realized your talking about the F-14, and I’m talking about my A-10! Lol

Comment

Very cool, just for reference I have 4500mah packs and 5200 will the 5200 packs fit fine in the 14 or should I just run the 4500 packs? I just like the idea of the larger packs for my edfs whenever possible.
                                    It depends on the brand you have. For example, the big 5000mah, 6s ChinaHobbyLine 70C is a very tight fit and may require foam trimming. However, the 5000mah, 6s ChinaHobbyLine 55C will fit and the Gens Ace 5000's, 45C are no problem. I also have some HRB 6000s, 50C that will fit OK. And different brands weigh different and balance can be challenging.
                                    4500's won't fly this jet for very long.

Comment

• Yeah I'm thinking the 5200s i have will work, looking forward to this one

Comment

• Project danger zone waiting for the motors to arrive.

Comment

• Elbee
                                          Elbee commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          WOOHOO ! Looking forward to reading about what you think. Best, Steve

• Yes sir, I am so looking forward to flying it. I plan on trying a couple different motor options from freewing 9 blade inrunner, to the fms, and might look into some others just to get a sense of what performs better. She's definitely a big jet!

Comment

Working...
                                        X