X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
    Mine showed a couple days ago and I was able to get it up and running... 2 minor issues... During assemble the rear wing screws would not get to the mount point. I needed to drill just a little bit of plastic away to get them to work. Also Had an issue with the BEC in the esc when I was about to set up for the maiden. It kept switching on then off. Like a loose pin or something... I won't ever trust something that is doing that. Thankfully I had a UBEC with me but didn't have a soldering iron strong enough for big wire. So I made a ubec to fit a small 3s pack that I had. Put that lil pack in front of the main battery which was a 6s 40c 5000. All worked great from there!

The plane is super light for its size! Much lighter than the new F/A-18D but using the same power system. I did notice that the EDF unit was super noisy and out of balance which is fine because it is coming out anyway. This is a much better candidate for the 2100kv set up I have at home which I happened to get all balanced and ready to go. I will swap them today. I may get some flights later this week as well... we shall see...

Here is my unboxing vid... nothing special but just wanted to do one...

The one my son is flying is out of balance as well. I purchased two of the new FMS 80mm Pro V2. I tested them per your videos and both of them seem to be balanced and very smooth.

Comment

• Mine seemed to be fine, I must have gotten lucky.

Comment

• The newest video with an update on all that has been done...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Maiden and second flight...

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• nice video's Gooniac . I would give anything to have a field like that to fly from I made the first flight with mine from an AMA field in Gillette Wyo. a 30 by 350ft run way ended up not judging my approach and ended up all most running off the end of the run way and not enough room to turn around. The grass was to high and rough so I just went out and turned it around LOL!!!

Comment

Maiden and second flight...

Great looking flight! You made the comment that when you lowered the flaps you preferred it go nose down than nose up. I prefer the opposite, because when I lower the flaps, I'm going to be faster than my anticipated landing speed. As it slows down, it will get itself in trim. So I know at first I have to hold the nose down just a little. But that's just me. ;)

You also said you don't have stabilization. Did you not get the AS3X? I got mine with, and it works great.

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post

Great looking flight! You made the comment that when you lowered the flaps you preferred it go nose down than nose up. I prefer the opposite, because when I lower the flaps, I'm going to be faster than my anticipated landing speed. As it slows down, it will get itself in trim. So I know at first I have to hold the nose down just a little. But that's just me. ;)

You also said you don't have stabilization. Did you not get the AS3X? I got mine with, and it works great.
                I adjusted the compensation so that now there is no change in attitude and It now just slows down. I am not using a gyro at all. Just a 10ch Lemon RX in there... I don't think it needs it at all. I was going to try the Lemon RX 7ch which does have a gyro but didn't have the side pin version. maybe I will at some point in time but no need now... its awesome!!

Comment

I adjusted the compensation so that now there is no change in attitude and It now just slows down.
                  As it slows down it WILL get nose-heavier. It's a Delta wing thing. I don't know if you reflexively trim as the airplane speeds up and slows down. I've noticed very few pilots do. They just trim to one setting and hold the nose the rest of the time.

It's what I learned flying pointy nose airplanes in the Navy. Trim, trim, trim. Especially slowing to landing speed. Of course that means if you were trimmed when you landed, on your next takeoff the nose will want to go up. Unless you remember and reset your takeoff trim setting.

On my controller I select "reverse trim", so the trim next to the left stick controls the right stick's trim, and I don't have as far to reach to hit it while flying.

But that's just me. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post

As it slows down it WILL get nose-heavier. It's a Delta wing thing. I don't know if you reflexively trim as the airplane speeds up and slows down. I've noticed very few pilots do. They just trim to one setting and hold the nose the rest of the time.

It's what I learned flying pointy nose airplanes in the Navy. Trim, trim, trim. Especially slowing to landing speed. Of course that means if you were trimmed when you landed, on your next takeoff the nose will want to go up. Unless you remember and reset your takeoff trim setting.

On my controller I select "reverse trim", so the trim next to the left stick controls the right stick's trim, and I don't have as far to reach to hit it while flying.

But that's just me. ;)
                    I trim my plane once for high speed flight and that is it. I adjust CG to fit my style of flying if need be but for the most part its set once and thats it. If there are bad habits then I will set up flight modes but for the most part that isn't needed for what I do. I try to keep it as simple as possible. I do slow down the flap deployment and there was some elevator compensation added as well. I don't pay much attention to my hands when I am flying but just make the plane do what I want it to.If I notice that I have to fight it a little too much to make it do what I want then I make changes. I have it set up now to where there is not much that needs to be done to land it. I deploy flaps and then get it in the proper landing attitude and make the throttle control sink rates which mean I am holding elevator in one position mostly and not fiddling with it much. This plane is such a pleasure to fly whether is is fast or slow! I really rung it out this weekend and will be posting those videos here in a little bit... The new FMS 2100kv set up is incredible!!!

Comment

• Just noticed they already discontinued the PNP version of the F4. Man, that was fast!

Comment

I trim my plane once for high speed flight and that is it. I adjust CG to fit my style of flying if need be but for the most part its set once and thats it. If there are bad habits then I will set up flight modes but for the most part that isn't needed for what I do. I try to keep it as simple as possible. I do slow down the flap deployment and there was some elevator compensation added as well. I don't pay much attention to my hands when I am flying but just make the plane do what I want it to.If I notice that I have to fight it a little too much to make it do what I want then I make changes. I have it set up now to where there is not much that needs to be done to land it. I deploy flaps and then get it in the proper landing attitude and make the throttle control sink rates which mean I am holding elevator in one position mostly and not fiddling with it much. This plane is such a pleasure to fly whether is is fast or slow! I really rung it out this weekend and will be posting those videos here in a little bit... The new FMS 2100kv set up is incredible!!!
                        Interesting, I Replaced my stock 3530-1850KV outrunner for one of the new FMS 80mm V2 3280-KV2100 in the L-39 and didn’t really notice any difference. Other than the FMS runs very smooth. Something I’m missing maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

Interesting, I Replaced my stock 3530-1850KV outrunner for one of the new FMS 80mm V2 3280-KV2100 in the L-39 and didn’t really notice any difference. Other than the FMS runs very smooth. Something I’m missing maybe?
                          It will be lighter and have better vertical. I have friends who have upgrade their planes with the same set up and they are rockets!! Make sure to calibrate throttle and get your CG right too. A tail heavy plane will always fly slower too... But my buddy put in the 2100kv motor and got well over 120mph with his L-39

Comment

It will be lighter and have better vertical. I have friends who have upgrade their planes with the same set up and they are rockets!! Make sure to calibrate throttle and get your CG right too. A tail heavy plane will always fly slower too... But my buddy put in the 2100kv motor and got well over 120mph with his L-39
                            I did calibrate the ESC, and the balance was right on. Don't get me wrong, it flew great and the fan was smoother. It was fast with the stock motor, didn't seem like it was much different. I'll have to put my speedmeter in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

I did calibrate the ESC, and the balance was right on. Don't get me wrong, it flew great and the fan was smoother. It was fast with the stock motor, didn't seem like it was much different. I'll have to put my speedmeter in it.
                              The silent fan tends to make you think it isn't going faster a lot of the time. I did notice a big difference with mine though!

Comment

• Here is the stock flight

Here is it with the upgrade. Balance isn't quite perfect but close...

Comment

• Cool goons. Parachutes would look cool for this, see ya at Pilot Ryan's.

Comment

• Delete

Comment

• I just got my E-Flite F4 Phantom on Friday. I got it together and spent the majority of the weekend at the airfield putting it through it's paces. I must say this is a really great flying jet. The assembly was quick & easy. The plane required minimal surface adjustments it was almost right on straight out of the box.

Here are a few pictures. It's such a great looking plane. In the future i'll be converting this to a blue angles scheme from the early 70's.

Attached Files

Comment

• I am wondering if anyone has experimented with covering up the cheater vent on the bottom of this air frame. I know there has been some success with other jets in covering cheater holes and letting the intake ducts provide all the air flow for the fan. This seems to have helped top speed and over all efficiency with Jets like the A4 Skyhawk.

Has anyone tried this on the Eflite F4?
                                        Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crick3t View Post
                                          I am wondering if anyone has experimented with covering up the cheater vent on the bottom of this air frame. I know there has been some success with other jets in covering cheater holes and letting the intake ducts provide all the air flow for the fan. This seems to have helped top speed and over all efficiency with Jets like the A4 Skyhawk.

Has anyone tried this on the Eflite F4?
                                          Thanks.

Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                          X