X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rcSpanky View Post
    Hey Guys, just thought I'd post some progress pics from my F18 Build.. Going with the Canadian 150 Scheme.. not gonna win any scale awards with this one, but its my first attempt at customizing an airplane.. psyched to fly it, but have alot more to do..
    S, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Love the canopy frame details. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
      As expected, MRC has taken care of me 100%. I was disappointed to have mine arrive with damage, but MRC's customer service never disappoints!
      That's great to hear! Do you have another one on the way?

Comment

Hey Guys, just thought I'd post some progress pics from my F18 Build.. Going with the Canadian 150 Scheme.. not gonna win any scale awards with this one, but its my first attempt at customizing an airplane.. psyched to fly it, but have alot more to do..
        That looks fantastic! A truly great job.

Comment

Looks like an excellent start! If you want to easily get one scale step ahead of the other Canada 150 schemes I have seen, you should contact Callie for replacement roundels that have the correct 1965 to present Maple Leaf - the far right one in the photo is correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

That's great to hear! Do you have another one on the way?
            I do indeed!

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

I do indeed!
              Woohoo!

Comment

I must say, I'm very tempted to program taileron, full span flaps, and flaperon use on this F-18C. I love the look of full span flaps, and the look of flying these scale models is part of the fun. Of course there are additional things to keep in mind when adding this type of programming complexity to the model, and much testing on the ground and during flight. Additional complexity can introduce potential for problems, but I've programmed tailerons and full span flaps with flaperons before on a different jet, know what to expect, and am willing to do it again on this F-18.

The videos below show some awesome approaches (especially the crosswind landings) with flaperon and taileron use easily visable.

Given that the ailerons are wired in through the wing plug, and then into the "Blue Box", what is the best way to isolate the ailerons so that they can be mixed to provide full span flaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by roys001 View Post

Given that the ailerons are wired in through the wing plug, and then into the "Blue Box", what is the best way to isolate the ailerons so that they can be mixed to provide full span flaps?
                  I'll be getting rid of each single wing connector/harness, and using servo lead extensions, then connecting each aileron to their own channel to program full span flaps and flaperon function, as well as each stabilator on its own channel for taileron mixing. You can opt for no taileron function and the simply stock stabilator function for pitch, but with full span flaps I don't feel comfortable not having tailerons, as I like the extra control and flexibility. I'll also have to use a servo y-harness for the Flaps since I'll be getting rid of the wing connectors. The flaps will be only on one receiver channel though. The inboard flaps will remain as traditional flaps (and not used as flaperons), and only the ailerons will act as flaperons.

We can program them and go through testing at our field and share notes on how it performed in various settings and throw . I'll be flying it stock first without tailerons or full span flaps and flaperons, just to get a baseline on what the plane is like and whether I like or dislike it.

Comment

• You say full span flaps and flaperons. Since the flaps don’t deflect upwards what’s the difference?

i have all this on mine including crow and rudder airbrakes plus appropriate pitch comp if you need any numbers.

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

I'll be getting rid of each single wing connector/harness, and using servo lead extensions, then connecting each aileron to their own channel to program full span flaps and flaperon function, as well as each stabilator on its own channel for taileron mixing. You can opt for no taileron function and the simply stock stabilator function for pitch, but with full span flaps I don't feel comfortable not having tailerons, as I like the extra control and flexibility. I'll also have to use a servo y-harness for the Flaps since I'll be getting rid of the wing connectors. The flaps will be only on one receiver channel though.

We can program them and go through testing at our field and share notes on how it performed in various settings and throw . I'll be flying it stock first without tailerons or full span flaps and flaperons, just to get a baseline on what the plane is like and whether I like or dislike it.

Comment

• Tried to finish mine up today for a sunday maiden. All is fine except one main gear won't completely close. The door is open about 30%. Verified that the door is not preventing the retract from closing. I have cycled it several times as well as loosened the strut and changed pivot angle both ways, but still no change. Is there a procedure to reclock/calibrate the retract end points? I believe another retract unit will be needed to fix this issue and am considering flying with (original gear) in the down and locked position until I can obtain parts necessary to fix this.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by john2kx; Oct 12, 2019, 02:31 PM.
                      Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        You say full span flaps and flaperons. Since the flaps don’t deflect upwards what’s the difference?

i have all this on mine including crow and rudder airbrakes plus appropriate pitch comp if you need any numbers.

Some number would be great, thanks Evan. You may have posted taileron throws for pitch and roll already, as well as stabilator pitch compensation on full span flap deployment, etc., but I'll have to look back through this thread and the RCg one.

I should say that I'll be looking to set up full span flaps, but although the ailerons will be deflected down to operate as flaps, but only the ailerons will be working as flaperons. The inboard flaps will remain as traditional flaps and not work as flaperons.

Comment

• if you fly spek I can send the file...

full span flaps needs a lot of elevator comp.

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Some number would be great, thanks Evan. You may have posted taileron throws for pitch and roll already, as well as stabilator pitch compensation on full span flap deployment, etc., but I'll have to look back through this thread and the RCg one.

I should say that I'll be looking to set up full span flaps, but although the ailerons will be deflected down to operate as flaps, but only the ailerons will be working as flaperons. The inboard flaps will remain as traditional flaps and not work as flaperons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            if you fly spek I can send the file...

full span flaps needs a lot of elevator comp.

Unfortunately not. Ha-ha

The F-14 needed a ton of elevator compensation with full span flaps. Otherwise, it could be the pitch of demise if a person didn't forsee it.

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Something like this?
                                Yes sir, except I won't be deactivating tailerons when the flaps are retracted or on a switch. The tailerons will be active full time and work in conjunction with the ailerons.

Comment

Yes sir, except I won't be deactivating tailerons when the flaps are retracted or on a switch. The tailerons will be active full time and work in conjunction with the ailerons.
                                  "Something like", not "exactly" - the focus was on the flaperons and the flaps.

I tried tailerons-all-the-time, but I wasn't impressed, but that's my preference. Likewise, it's your plane ...

Comment

"Something like", not "exactly" - the focus was on the flaperons and the flaps.

I tried tailerons-all-the-time, but I wasn't impressed, but that's my preference. Likewise, it's your plane ...
                                    Thanks Fred. Yeah, it's a tough thing with programming as it really is all about the pilots preference with how a plane handles.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it about tailerons being active all the time on this aircraft that you weren't impressed with? It's always nice hearing others opinions and preferences.

Comment

Thanks Fred. Yeah, it's a tough thing with programming as it really is all about the pilots preference with how a plane handles.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it about tailerons being active all the time on this aircraft that you weren't impressed with? It's always nice hearing others opinions and preferences.
                                      If I recall correctly, the roll response to me seemed sluggish - it just felt off. It would probably have been different if I flew full-throttle, I don't fly for speed.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the roll response to me seemed sluggish - it just felt off. It would probably have been different if I flew full-throttle, I don't fly for speed.
                                        Awe, okay. Thank you

Comment

• T, I have 30% taileron mixed to aileron. I found that the role was not axial, so I mixed a little down elevator in to either direction roll, 8%. Some people showed me that the real airplane doesn’t roll axial so you may not want to do that. I found that I needed 14% elevator mix at half flap and 20% at full flap with full span flaps. Regular flaps needed 7 and 12. Let me know what else you want to know.

Comment

Working...
                                          X