Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more flights with mine this weekend! I finally got the lights working too! I don't like the delay on gear up/down so not using the box for that... landing light isn't working yet but I will figure something out soon...
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Curious what everyone is using for Aileron rates. I'm not getting anywhere the deflection the manual is calling high rates for at 100% (32mm). It's closer to the low rate deflection @26mm. I'm wondering because even the low book rate seems like a lot of throw. I'm setting mine on a 3 position switch at 60-80-100% and adding 30% expo to it.

One more thing I've been wondering about, why have the delay in the landing gear? It doesn't add any realism to flip a switch and have to wait 5 sec to see if the gear is actually going down. Every time I'm wondering, is it working? I'd like to pull it off the blue box as Gooniac mentioned above but the box is buried in the fuselage where its impossible to get to without cutting foam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellke View Post
        Curious what everyone is using for Aileron rates. I'm not getting anywhere the deflection the manual is calling high rates for at 100% (32mm). It's closer to the low rate deflection @26mm. I'm wondering because even the low book rate seems like a lot of throw. I'm setting mine on a 3 position switch at 60-80-100% and adding 30% expo to it.

One more thing I've been wondering about, why have the delay in the landing gear? It doesn't add any realism to flip a switch and have to wait 5 sec to see if the gear is actually going down. Every time I'm wondering, is it working? I'd like to pull it off the blue box as Gooniac mentioned above but the box is buried in the fuselage where its impossible to get to without cutting foam.
        I couldn't either but I just set the max rate at whatever the control surface would give me without straining the servo and set my mid and low rates proportionally and then make final adjustments after the first flight. Expo is a matter of personal taste and doesn't apply the same to everyone.
        The gear door delay is likely based on a common device that is used throughout several model lines, some of which require the delay so that secondary doors (servo controlled) can do their thing before the retract begins to move.

Comment

• The book's recommended roll throws are way too high for my tastes. In fact, I've been finding that to be the case with most newer jets. I simply don't like my jets that touchy in roll. Mine is currently dialed in and the throws are probably half of what's recommended - if that - for nice and scale flights. Personally, I think the manufacturers should reduce the recommended on roll...It's much easier to deal with wanting more roll throw after a maiden then be dealing with a rock-n-roller fighting the maiden and then reducing the throws after. I've had some pretty wild rides on maidens due to going with "recommended" throws from a manual. I've learned my lesson that whatever the recommended is, I reduce it by at least half for the maiden and I am usually pretty spot on.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• My main landing gear retract perfectly on the bench, but the right side hangs up when in flight. There’s no binding in the wheel well. I’m guessing the wind resistance in flight is what’s causing the problem, but I can’t recreate the problem on the bench. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

• LG problem solved. Bypassed blue box and now retract immediately after lift off. Evrything tucks up nice and tight just like on the bench.

Comment

• Who uses gyros in their F-18s and if so which one do you guys recommend?

Comment

• Spoke too soon...landing gear problems continued today. I might have found the problem. The blue blade that catches the strut was not protruding far enough so I added a tiny shim to push it out just a bit. Works on the bench, will test tomorrow in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archo149 View Post
                    Who uses gyros in their F-18s and if so which one do you guys recommend?
                    I'm using the HobbyEagle A3-L. Don't really need anything too fancy for this plane. It's pretty stable as is.

Comment

• Yep don't see the need for a gyro with this bird personally but if you still prefer one I agree with xviper.
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Is your gear bent? I see torn up foam in that pic.

Originally posted by Jackcannon View Post
                        Spoke too soon...landing gear problems continued today. I might have found the problem. The blue blade that catches the strut was not protruding far enough so I added a tiny shim to push it out just a bit. Works on the bench, will test tomorrow in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          Is your gear bent? I see torn up foam in that pic.

Hey Evan, gear is not bent. I sanded out some foam to give a little extra clearance in the wheel wells. This problem is frustrating in that I can’t recreate the problem some I’m on a fishing expedition. Hoping this little shim fixes it. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate the help.

Comment

• I had the problem but as I said I sanded a bevel on the inside of the wheel wells and put some toe out on the gear and it fixed it for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcannon View Post

Hey Evan, gear is not bent. I sanded out some foam to give a little extra clearance in the wheel wells. This problem is frustrating in that I can’t recreate the problem some I’m on a fishing expedition. Hoping this little shim fixes it. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate the help.
                              Are all your set screws tight on you gear? If your mains can wiggle a little about the retract pin it could be twisting and hitting the foam due to a slightly different angle I think.. perhaps after take off too.

Comment

• Success! 1/8” ply shim fixed it.... for now. 3 flights today and gear worked perfectly. Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips!

Comment

• Awesome!

Comment

• I have the Futaba T6K Radio. Anyone know how to adjust the trim on the nose gear so it has sharper turns when taxiing around?

Comment

• Pardon my ignorance if it has been covered already but has anyone designed the wing pylons for the F-18 to be 3D printed? Anyone know? The tank and centerline mount look great but wondering about for the wings?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                        Pardon my ignorance if it has been covered already but has anyone designed the wing pylons for the F-18 to be 3D printed? Anyone know? The tank and centerline mount look great but wondering about for the wings?
                                        Steve, take a look at these files and let me know what you think. I didn't print those yet! The halves have a thickness of 1,5mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot wing pylon halves.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	237210

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Steve, take a look at these files and let me know what you think. I didn't print those yet! The halves have a thickness of 1,5mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot wing pylon halves.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	237210
                                          SAWEEET!!!!! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                          X