Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my pieces from RCGEEK. Dry fitted I'm now painting up the parts. For the gauges and displays I copied an instrument panel on photo paper and cut out some of the pieces. The shroud I had to round off to the shape of the canopy to get it to fit; no biggy.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dustman, You are doing some beautiful work on that cockpit. Big Time Well Done, Sir. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman and all the other painters out there.... https://www.megahobby.com/products/s...g-jimenez.html

These beat a toothpick all day long!!!

Comment

• Elbee Those sniper brushes paint the cockpit details for you!!! Hope you guys are all well!!! Jerry

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            But then what will I do with my "Shrink Ray" and all those little guys in the hamster cage?

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          Hugh Wiedman and all the other painters out there.... https://www.megahobby.com/products/s...g-jimenez.html

These beat a toothpick all day long!!!
          Now you tell me. I spent 3 weeks, almost lost my eyesight and fried 1/2 my brain cells (fortunately I didn't have many to start with) painting those little switches and other stuff, and now you nonchalantly say hey, shoulda tried this. Any other secrets you're hiding, only to release when it's too late, like maybe that the corona virus actually can be spread human to human?

Oh, and LB, got a mission for all your "little guys". Either have them infiltrate the WHO and get our $450 million back or send them over to the Freewing factory to secretly find out what they're up to. Have Tamms bake them into a Fruit Cake and send it to Alpha as a gift.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I didn’t know you were using toothpicks. Or even painting all those tiny buttons... stay well Bro!!! Happy Easter.

Comment

• Hey Guys & Gals, A little more progress on the NG Door mod. I really like the way it looks now. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	247923Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	247924Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	247925
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Beautiful job LB!!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• That looks great! I assume you'll leave the landing light off or change to another style?

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  Hey Guys & Gals, A little more progress on the NG Door mod. I really like the way it looks now. Best, LB

Comment

• GarrisonR, Thanks. There isn't space between the retract motor housing and the strut to put the Landing Light in it's correct location. I've been thinking about smaller LEDs if these are bright enough and breaking out the Dremel...but that might be getting a bit out in the weeds. We'll see as I would like a landing light. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• [QUOTE=Carlbrainiac;n200774]Just out of interest to those of you who have flown the model. What sort of flight times are you getting and what batteries are you using? I have some 4500 mah and some cheap turnigy 5000 mah ones that dont actually give me any longer flight time than the better 4500s I have. In my Avanti they give me 3 min flights. I dont have any batteries as big as a 6000 and struggling to find any that dont then add an enormous amount of weight. I guess what I'm really asking is the 9 blade 90mm set up in this more efficient than the 12 blade 80mm set up in the original yellow Avanti?[/QUOTE

I know this is an old post but....

I have my timer set for 3 minutes, counting down above 25% throttle. My true flight time is 5:40, using 6000 Admiral pro.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Door Guns;n248603]
                        Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                        Just out of interest to those of you who have flown the model. What sort of flight times are you getting and what batteries are you using? I have some 4500 mah and some cheap turnigy 5000 mah ones that dont actually give me any longer flight time than the better 4500s I have. In my Avanti they give me 3 min flights. I dont have any batteries as big as a 6000 and struggling to find any that dont then add an enormous amount of weight. I guess what I'm really asking is the 9 blade 90mm set up in this more efficient than the 12 blade 80mm set up in the original yellow Avanti?[/QUOTE

I know this is an old post but....

I have my timer set for 3 minutes, counting down above 25% throttle. My true flight time is 5:40, using 6000 Admiral pro.
                        Hi Door Guns, as always when talking about flighttimes, a lot of different batteries, C-Rates, flying style makes it difficult to say what is best. I fly in my F-18 with the Admiral 6S 5000mAh and have my timer set to 4:30min and have around 30% rest.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jets and Wings;n248609]
                          Originally posted by Door Guns View Post

Hi Door Guns, as always when talking about flighttimes, a lot of different batteries, C-Rates, flying style makes it difficult to say what is best. I fly in my F-18 with the Admiral 6S 5000mAh and have my timer set to 4:30min and have around 30% rest.
                          Agreed.

I might try a 5000 mAh. The 110 gram weight difference might be worth it. I'm flying it hard as I am, I only have <20% left at 4:30. May have something to do with pushing the extra mass around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post
                            anyone have setup details on this bird. Just added the updated inrunner BA to my hanger. Good time to dial in the DX9 for it while we are shelter in placed.
                            Did anyone come back on this query in Setup’s on the DX9? I’m sure there are many out there who would appreciate some experts tips in this area. Thanks in advance FA18 community.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
                              Finally got my pieces from RCGEEK. Dry fitted I'm now painting up the parts. For the gauges and displays I copied an instrument panel on photo paper and cut out some of the pieces. The shroud I had to round off to the shape of the canopy to get it to fit; no biggy.
                              Hi Dustman, did you say you got these 3D printed parts from the RCGeek? I have not seen these (FA18) on his website. Can you provide a link?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                Hey Guys & Gals, A little more progress on the NG Door mod. I really like the way it looks now. Best, LB

Amazing work!

Comment

• Elbee
                                  Elbee commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  BP, Thanks, I still have the linkages to finish and I'm trying to use OEM parts so anyone can do the mod with only the strut and drag brace doors as 3DP parts from STL files. We'll see how that goes. Best, LB

• The door mod is one I would not mind doing.

Comment

• Added foil tape to my Hornet exhaust nozzles all the way up to the EDF, and wow what a difference that made for my Afterburner kit. I wasn't happy with my AB even with dual lights, it just didn't glow bright enough. It's because inside the fuse there's blue painted area's that decrease the light from AB. Now my Blue Angel #7 will look much better during the day. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200411_214429011.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	248829

Comment

• Originally posted by Brinka View Post
                                    Added foil tape to my Hornet exhaust nozzles all the way up to the EDF, and wow what a difference that made for my Afterburner kit. I wasn't happy with my AB even with dual lights, it just didn't glow bright enough. It's because inside the fuse there's blue painted area's that decrease the light from AB. Now my Blue Angel #7 will look much better during the day.
                                    BK, now that's bright. Looks great. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
                                      The door mod is one I would not mind doing.
                                      DM, I have not yet installed any of the parts for the NG Door modification as I am still changing things. As a result, I won't post the STL until those are correct in my way of thinking. I started this mod by purchasing the F-18C Nose Gear and Main Gear "Plastic Parts" from MotionRC. About $12 USD plus shipping. My original idea was to only use those parts so the mod could be done by anyone willing to cut up their model and modify the extra parts.

This mod can be done this way and frankly other than the "Steering Arm" would have been easier. Also, what I figured out was if you're careful, one could use only the OEM kit parts w/o buying the extra parts by buying styrene sheet to make mounts and for the extra doors, but the 'peace of mind' of being able to return to square one if need be helps when hacking into your model. LOL I used Plastruct Plastic Weld to glue all ABS parts together. In this case the 2 NG doors that cover the NG wheels.

Additionally, cutting the L/R NG Door mounts that are glued to the foam of the model was required, but I think cutting the foam away carefully and reusing those worked out well. Gotta use Foam Tac here to join all the parts in their new order. What great product, BTW!

The only challenge really was the OEM Steering Arm shape. The pivot point needed to remain OEM, but needed to be lowered to fit inside the Fuselage skin, so I designed a 'curved' steering, but again stacking say .063"- .125" styrene sheet to get the height and length, then carving, drilling, tapping, and sanding would accomplish what I designed and printed and would create a stronger part, I think. LOL.

My point is 'old school' methodology and a bit of ingenuity can be used for this mod and accomplish what I am doing with CAD and a 3DP printer and require less trial and error. In any event, once I am satisfied with the results, I will post STL files of the mods. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                      X