Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot wait to see your Bug all complete LB. It's going to be a pure joy to behold in photos and video.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Does anyone fly Real Flight and if so can you recommend a good jet to download from knifeedge.com ? The weather here in Ohio has been crap it’s either raining or the wind is blowing 20mph. I would like to get some practice in before I start flying again.
      Thanks!!
      Anthony

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        I cannot wait to see your Bug all complete LB. It's going to be a pure joy to behold in photos and video.
        Aros, Sorry a bit off topic, but I am going to have to buy a video camera or an SLR that shoots decent video. I remember a thread started awhile back talking about cameras, video cameras and how to shoot better pictures/vids. Has there been much activity there lately? Need to check it out myself. Between MotionRC and Callie Graphics running the occasional photo contest, I hope that forum gets more attention. Is the only way to post videos on Hobby Squawk through uutooob? Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hmmm, I haven't been in that thread for quite some time...Unfortunately my camera knowledge is limited to RunCam2's and Mobius's. Hard to beat for the price (1080p 60FPS, wide lens) but for stationary/SLR to shoot flying footage I'm afraid I am at a loss.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hi LB, I'm referring to the thread at the top of page 194 where you thanked me for the 'heads up' on the STL File issue. I've since copied that file with no problem. I'll be sending it to RCGeek to print for me. You're leaving us in the dust with all these fantastic mods you're adding to your F-18: lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
              Hi LB, I'm referring to the thread at the top of page 194 where you thanked me for the 'heads up' on the STL File issue. I've since copied that file with no problem. I'll be sending it to RCGeek to print for me. You're leaving us in the dust with all these fantastic mods you're adding to your F-18: lol.
              DM, Can't leave "the Dustman" in the dust, just not possible. I was thinking Alpha wanted us to do the operational tail hook. Just look how it's designed. Anyway, I just build 'em as I see 'em. This one is taking a long time and I am looking forward to getting some paint on her soon. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Does anyone know that type of glue they use at the factory for the landing gear mounts? I think it's a white adhesive ...

Comment

• fredmdbud, So far everything I have taken apart on this model the glue is the same or similar in consistency as the 'kit glue' that is provided with some models or "Beacon Foam-Tac'. Cannot imagine any other type being used for the LG Mounts on the Hornet. I've had success removing the glue from plastic parts by soaking the parts in mineral spirits. This will also remove the OEM paint. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                    Does anyone know that type of glue they use at the factory for the landing gear mounts? I think it's a white adhesive ...
                    fredmdbud I've notice the same "adhesive" in many other places and planes as well. Alpha may have to shed some light on this one. It's also sometimes used to secure servo's in places without screws and noticed it in my F-16 in some of the base parts of the main landing gear pieces and other planes to secure landing gear mounts and other areas. It's pure white, pliable and somewhat "rubbery". Almost like canopy glue, but that dries clear after starting out white. I also use the Beacon Foam-Tac in some places, but that dries clearer and is slightly harder. And of course the epoxy I use dries much harder and is also clear or slightly yellow, so not sure what this is. It's almost like a pure white caulk, but definitely not silicone caulk.

Not sure why I'm still up a 4 in the morning, oh yes, couldn't wait, finally got the main receiver antennae on the AR636 cleared away from the battery in my F-18 Canadian and also installed a remote satellite receiver away from everything, just to be safe. Sticking a remote in my Stinger as well that had the main antennae to close to the battery. Absolutely ready to maiden this thing as soon as the winds and rain let up and they finally open the field I want to fly this at that has an asphalt runway. Not sure why our grass field in the Everglades opened up and not the other, but I guess that's politics for you.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                      fredmdbud, So far everything I have taken apart on this model the glue is the same or similar in consistency as the 'kit glue' that is provided with some models or "Beacon Foam-Tac'. Cannot imagine any other type being used for the LG Mounts on the Hornet. I've had success removing the glue from plastic parts by soaking the parts in mineral spirits. This will also remove the OEM paint. Best, LB
                      I'm not looking to remove the glue - I've done fairly well using the fingernail-scrape-and-peel method. But I do have 3D-printed landing gear mounts that I need to install in another plane, and this white glue seems to have the grip and the elasticity to keep them in place under shock without peeling.
                      Last edited by fredmdbud; May 11, 2020, 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• E-Flight also uses this white elastic adhesive in places. The AR636 that comes with the SU-30 was held in place with this "glue" and I've noticed in the past they have used it in securing their receivers in in other BNF models. I found that It scrapes off relatively easily with an x-acto knife as I removed the receiver in my SU-30 to replace it with a 7 channel AS3X receiver in order to get flaperons and the air brake on separate channels.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                          I'm not looking to remove the glue - I've done fairly well using the fingernail-scrape-and-peel method. But I do have 3D-printed landing gear mounts that I need to install in another plane, and this while glue seems to have the grip and the elasticity to keep them in place under shock without peeling.
                          FB, Got it. This is a good question for Alpha, I'm thinking. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• So after almost 2 months I had the opportunity to fly at a different club besides my own, these pics are from Del Ray RC club in Florida this past Saturday, I flew the Hornet 5x to perfection. My club field is currently still closed while other counties are open, we all kept our distance with no issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brinka View Post
                              So after almost 2 months I had the opportunity to fly at a different club besides my own, these pics are from Del Ray RC club in Florida this past Saturday, I flew the Hornet 5x to perfection. My club field is currently still closed while other counties are open, we all kept our distance with no issues.
                              Nice looking field, so glad you got out. I tried to talk our club into opening up the membership now that they are open, but no luck. Can't wait for Markum to open up so you can do your magic with my F-18. I've heard nothing from our club there yet on opening so if you hear something, let me know.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

FB, Got it. This is a good question for Alpha, I'm thinking. Best, LB
                                I have a sneaking suspicion it's silicone caulk, but hope Alpha sees this and chimes in.

Comment

• Elbee You're right, we designed it as a sort of Easter egg in the sense that it's friendly for a modeler like you to take a bit further to finish off with an operational hook. I can't bare the liability of putting a functional hook on the stock PNP and have people say they ripped off the backend during a [too] low dirty pass, ha!

fredmdbud Yes, as you suspected, it's essentially a type of RTV silicone. Unfortunately I can't disclose the exact composition, but it's not too difficult to replicate and I can say that the RTV property is critical to achieve the balance of elasticity and holding power. Also, clean your 3DP surfaces with alcohol to aid the surface bond. Good luck on your project!
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I am about to try this.

It's "East Water Clean-up & Low Odor", so I'm assuming it will not dissolve EPO foam.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• fredmdbud not sure if that's the same as the adhesive Freewing and E-Flight are using. I've tried it before elsewhere in filling a "hole" or dent in a foam plane, smoothed it out and repainted it and it was a nice filler, but I don't think it has the same "adhesion" quality of whatever caulk they are using. It seems that the Kwik Seal silicone caulk does not "stick" as strongly to foam and plastic as you may like it to. You might want to try it out on a "spare" piece of EPO foam and stick a piece of plastic to it, let it dry thoroughly and then pull it apart. If you're using this to hold in a retract plastic landing gear mount, the last thing you want is it pulling out easily. The Beacon Foam Tac might be better for this, unless you find out it "holds" after testing it.

As you can see from the photos below, E-Flight uses this same adhesive to "glue" in the receiver in the SU-30 (also in gluing all their receivers in for BNF as well as many other places including aileron servos in some planes). When I removed the receiver from the SU-30, it actually started to rip out some of the foam (so I had to slice it out with an x-acto knife to not ruin the foam) and the adhesive stuck to the receiver so well it needs to be cut and scraped off. First see if the Kwik Seal caulk "sticks" that well before committing to it. As I said earlier, if it does not, the Foam Tac will definitely do the trick and you will still be able to remove the mounts later if need be (not easily, but more easily than using epoxy-my usual go to adhesive). Keep us posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_021856.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	254479Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_022351.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	254480
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                        fredmdbud not sure if that's the same as the adhesive Freewing and E-Flight are using. I've tried it before elsewhere in filling a "hole" or dent in a foam plane, smoothed it out and repainted it and it was a nice filler, but I don't think it has the same "adhesion" quality of whatever caulk they are using. It seems that the Kwik Seal silicone caulk does not "stick" as strongly to foam and plastic as you may like it to. You might want to try it out on a "spare" piece of EPO foam and stick a piece of plastic to it, let it dry thoroughly and then pull it apart. If you're using this to hold in a retract plastic landing gear mount, the last thing you want is it pulling out easily. The Beacon Foam Tac might be better for this, unless you find out it "holds" after testing it.

As you can see from the photos below, E-Flight uses this same adhesive to "glue" in the receiver in the SU-30 (also in gluing all their receivers in for BNF as well as many other places including aileron servos in some planes). When I removed the receiver from the SU-30, it actually started to rip out some of the foam (so I had to slice it out with an x-acto knife to not ruin the foam) and the adhesive stuck to the receiver so well it needs to be cut and scraped off. First see if the Kwik Seal caulk "sticks" that well before committing to it. As I said earlier, if it does not, the Foam Tac will definitely do the trick and you will still be able to remove the mounts later if need be (not easily, but more easily than using epoxy-my usual go to adhesive). Keep us posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_021856.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	254479Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_022351.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	254480
                                        Already did the Foam-Tac/contact glue - it didn't hold; in fact, the landing gear repair failed during its 3rd flight. fell out in the air.

Gorilla glue wasn't any more successful - the bird limped back uneven-legged after the 3rd landing.

After curing overnight, the landing gear seems secure, so time to do the magic 3 again.

Comment

• fredmdbud OK, seems your testing facility is way ahead of me, surprising that the Foam-Tac was such a huge failure. Looks like you're definitely on to something then with the caulk. I'm sure it's very disconcerting taking the bird up and wondering if the gear is going to fall out before landing, we have enough problems to worry about without that being one of them. Several years ago I did glue in some landing gear mounts on an old Stinger, but used epoxy then and it held.
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X