Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Hornet Lovers, Question: Are the Elevator Servos connected to the "Blue E-1712 Box" with a "Y" Harness or as two(2) separate plug-ins? I disconnected most everything and wrote myself a note, though the note seems to have gone missing. I looked on the MotionRC site, but the ARF version comes with pre-installed servos so no manual description. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      Hi Hornet Lovers, Question: Are the Elevator Servos connected to the "Blue E-1712 Box" with a "Y" Harness or as two(2) separate plug-ins? I disconnected most everything and wrote myself a note, though the note seems to have gone missing. I looked on the MotionRC site, but the ARF version comes with pre-installed servos so no manual description. Best, LB

Comment

• fredmdbud, Thank you for the link, but I have this PDF for the "Blue Box". I was just trying to duplicate the OEM Setup. It appears I can go several ways, I just wanted to do it the way it was originally. It's not a 'biggie' and again, thanks. Best, LB
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• fredmdbud Friendly reminder guys, that's the Counterfeit Website, not the genuine Freewing website, so please be wary of viruses and don't purchase from that Counterfeit website.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Each elevator goes to its own slot on the blue box. The BB acts as a Y to the receiver. Same for ailerons and flaps through the “ribbon cable”. Rudder is the same except 3 way for steering.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
              I am about to try this.

It's "East Water Clean-up & Low Odor", so I'm assuming it will not dissolve EPO foam.

I glued a receiver in with Liquid nails. It comes in white, looks and holds just like the stuff Horizon uses to glue in their receivers

Comment

• Herman Munster you may be on to something there. I use Liquid nails (but not the white one) in various places around the house, but never thought of using it in the planes. It certainly, IMO, has better adhesion that just silicone caulk so you might have just "hit the nail on the head", pun intended!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Evan D, I thank you, Sir. I appreciate the assist greatly. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Herman Munster View Post

I glued a receiver in with Liquid nails. It comes in white, looks and holds just like the stuff Horizon uses to glue in their receivers
                    What particular version did you use? The heavy duty one warn against using with plastics.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

What particular version did you use? The heavy duty one warn against using with plastics.
                      Liquid Nails brand Fuze*it Multi-surface adhesive. It states you can use it on most plastics a and 12 other things

Comment

• I really have to give a big "shout out" to Evan D and xviper pointing out my antennae placement on the F-18. Seems the more I learn, the more I realize that I barely know enough to get by. I thought I was pretty smart on programming over 25 AR636's, but just then found out I don't even know the most basic info (and certainly most important). In all these years, I never thought twice about antennae placement, just put the receiver in the way it seemed most convenient. Thanks to them and me posting a picture of my cockpit, they were both good enough to go out of their way and say "hey dummy, you're headed for disaster". Well I did re-orient some things so over 90% of the main antennae is forward of the battery, especially the active end and added a satellite even further forward just to be safe (didn't even know what that was till I recently put the 7 channel AS3X receiver in my SU-30). Guess I coulda read a manual or bulletin once in a while.

Well this caused me to look back at every plane/jet I have. Surprisingly, there was only 1 other that violated the antennae/battery rule. This was my re-painted Stinger 90 that I had the receiver just behind the battery but the main antennae ran up along the battery. And guess what, that's the only plane I've ever had an issue with in loosing signal. The first Stinger I had I got over 50 flights in it with no problem. I had repainted it yellow/black and had Callie do some custom graphics for me and I loved that jet. About 6 months ago, after it's 5th flight of the day, it refused to turn onto final for landing and headed off in search of alligators and pythons into the Everglades. Never knew what caused it since I didn't have the "remains" to perform a forensic "Air Disasters" autopsy. I had another full set of graphics and repainted a 2nd Stinger, locating the receiver and antennae in the exact same place, kind of like a moron skipping merrily through a mine field without a single concern! Oddly enough, I got over 20 flights on this jet with no problems, then on the last day before the field closed down a few months ago, on the last flight of the day, it got a little squirrely on the landing approach, intermittently lost power and had intermittent control, but got her down off the runway with only damage to the nose cone which I replaced. Others at the field noticed the loss of power and suggested it was a bad battery or ESC. I took it home and bench tested it 7 times simulating entire flights with the same battery and others, but couldn't recreate the problem. Thought it must be the ESC going bad and replaced it for the hell of it, but really just thinking maybe this thing is jinxed and wants to be free. In the meantime, thanks to those 2 and others in this forum, I've learned something incredibly important and I'm sure they solved the mystery of the Stinger's only 2 glitches for me. No doubt they deprived the Everglades of another victim, and I am forever grateful to them and this forum for just being there when we need them. BTW, sending the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds for a "first responder" fly-over of your house! Hope they get through Canadian customs for xviper.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• What a great story - one that all can learn from. It was actually Evan who was adamant about that whole topic. I only wanted you to do a thorough check and test before flying it, just in case there was a problem down the road (or up in the sky).

Comment

• Great post Hugh...I have to add myself to the list of those not tuned in to the proper placement of rx antennas in relation to batteries. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out why my new HSD F-16 was acting so crazy on taxi. I would throttle up and the rudder and nose wheel would stop working completely. I checked the wires/leads/programming a million times and could not understand it. I posted the issue in a thread and someone finally said "Where's your receiver/antenna located?" I told him I had my satellite up against the side of the battery compartment right next to one of the 6S batteries. He said, "That's your problem. Get that antenna away from the batteries." Sure enough, I did just what he said and everything was fine.

In all my years of flying, I never really gave much thought about the rx antenna's proximity to the battery. Lesson learned! So you're not alone Brother Wiedman.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hugh, you're no dummy. You do learn so that make you better than quite a few. I've seen a few people that you tell them that something isn't right and it could be better and they tell you they saw it online that way so I don't know what I'm talking about...

There's a saying I love. You don't know what you don't know.

Comment

• Hey Hornet Aficionados, No real big gains in aesthetics, but a big leap for me in foam surgery. The Formation (Slimers) Lights are in and functional. I had annoying amount light energy seepage around my backlight LEDs. Much like water in that respect in that it found the easiest path of escape. Couldn't stop it with black paint, but black silicone worked, but had to be very careful not to that where you need to paint later, so I made a black paste filler using Tamiya Flat Black Acrylic, 3M wood filler and Elmer's white glue (didn't save the recipe, but you get the idea). Anyway, filled around all structure after painting the Foam Black and Voil`a, all better now. It should be noted that I also now own the futures market on copper wire, I think there is about a mile and a half ot it running through the fuselage. Preexisting OEM wiring channels in the foam were used, but it was tight to say the least. Next step is the installation of the cooling vents forward of the NG. Pics soon, WooHOO. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Can't wait to sneak into LB's hangar in the dead of night and steal this bird! Wait, was that my outside voice?
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    Can't wait to sneak into LB's hangar in the dead of night and steal this bird! Wait, was that my outside voice?
                                    I would have given it to you a couple of weeks ago and paid for shipping when I was still trying to use the OEM closure system for the NG Wheel doors. Now not so much. Always a learning curve and a work in progress, I suppose. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• 3 flights on my F-18 this morning. This one continues to challenge me in the landing pattern. Well actually, it continues to kick my behind in the landing pattern.🤪. Seems exponentially more difficult to get anything consistent compared to flying my A-4s and F-4s. Anyone else feel the same way? Click image for larger version

Name:	954EEF95-5393-4450-90A5-3157A86C95A1.jpeg
Views:	632
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	255067

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                        This one continues to challenge me in the landing pattern. Well actually, it continues to kick my behind in the landing pattern.🤪. Seems exponentially more difficult to get anything consistent compared to flying my A-4s and F-4s. Anyone else feel the same way?
                                        Me, too. I don't know why. I have a real hard time getting this thing to line up properly for the runway on landing and once landed, I can't seem to keep it centered on the runway. My V2 OZ themed F/A-18 flies so well and lands soft as a baby's bottom and stays on track down the middle of the runway. This is on the same day, same conditions.

Comment

• Finally got my F 18 back to flying condition after taking it apart for painting during the winter time...

I made the prototype # 3 because it was the first F 18 to land on an aircraft carrier ( USS America) I was lucky enough to make a visit on the America a few months prior to the arrival of the F 18, so it 's a personal touch and a great experience...

And yes, it fly's great !

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040883.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	255160

Name:	P1040887.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	255161