Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure how it flies yet as I've only just installed it. Will let you know when I fly it hopefully this Friday/Sunday

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      I do not see the 3672-1900kV inrunner motor with 9-blade fan "Upgrade" offering for the MotionRC F-18C on their website. Is the OEM Fan the same so the only change out is the inrunner motor? I have the original "Basic Gray" version. Inquisitively, LB
      Elbee it's not listed on Motion's website under "upgrades" for the base grey version. It is listed as a "spare part" under the F-18 BA version or under the power systems, EDF, 90 mm 3672-1900Kv Inrunner (no photo yet) for $89.99, but not yet in stock. This is the upgraded inrunner they put in the revised Blue Angel version and the fan itself is not yet available as a stand alone. I asked Alpha about that upgraded fan several months ago and he let me know that it wouldn't be available for purchase separately until mid-summer, so it will probably get here relatively soon.

Or you could just buy the F-18 Blue Angel, take the fan out, and send me the rest! That sounds like a good plan, no?
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Elbee it's not listed on Motion's website under "upgrades" for the base grey version. It is listed as a "spare part" under the F-18 BA version...you could just buy the F-18 Blue Angel, take the fan out, and send me the rest! That sounds like a good plan, no?
        Hugh, I suppose the BA would require some special attention, too, but you did an outstanding job on your Canook Flight Team, so maybe no mods. I have put in a 'Notification' for the "Spare Part" so we'll see how long that might take. We're in FL for another few days after we get over to St; Augustine for the Fourth. I haven't been home for almost a month, so I am in serious building withdrawal. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee you can also install the 4068-1835 Kv 12 blade inrunner instead. I put that fan in my F-16 and it's sweeeeeet! A couple other guys have posted here that they installed this in the F-18, much more power and speed and the sound is so much better than a 9 blade, although the cost is a few dollars more at $158. I'll be upgrading my F-18 with that fan one of these days, but want to get some more flights in with the stock, for now. Even with that fan, it's still got more than enough speed for this "little old lady from Pasadena" and more than enough juice to get off grass. I'm flying it on a RT 6250 and get 4:30-5:00, so not in a rush, but I do have it (the 12 blade) on my wishlist (along with way too many other things)!

How are you enjoying the Florida heat , we've been setting records for the last 3 days in Miami but I assume it's not that bad up in northern Florida. BTW, if you haven't already, try out Columbia Restaurant while you're there.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Elbee
            Elbee commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the heat. I like the idea of the your upgrade suggestion. After watching some vids and listening to the 12 blade EDFs, I like the 'whoosh' along with the 'whine'. I have a few $USD burning a hole in my pocket and Alpha hasn't hinted at anything new from Flightline or Freewing in the queue, so I think I'll go ahead with that improvement. Columbia Restaurant, is that in St. Augustine, then? Funny you should mention the weather as it looks like FL is going to be wet for awhile, LOL So we're thinking about a change of plans and heading back home early ??? We'll see. Thanks for the info. You're one of the "Good Guys", Hugh. Best, Steve

• Hugh Wiedman, Do you think I would need to change out the ESC? I don't recall the ratings of the OEM ESC in the kit box, but I will look those up. Best, LB

Quick note Hugh, We're going to St Augs in spite of the weather forecast and Happy Fourth to you and yours.
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hugh Wiedman, Do you think I would need to change out the ESC? I don't recall the ratings of the OEM ESC in the kit box, but I will look those up. Best, LB

Quick note Hugh, We're going to St Augs in spite of the weather forecast and Happy Fourth to you and yours.
            No, the stock Freewing 130 Amp with 8 amp BEC should be fine. I put that 12 blade inrunner in my F-16, but bought the ARF version without an ESC. I then got the Gecko 144 Amp ESC, however, I had major problems with it. The timing was off and whenever I cut the throttle to 0, it wouldn't restart. Motion told me I needed to get some programming cable and adjust the timing and that was a long standing issue with the Gecko, but I didn't want to go through that, so returned it with a refund and put the Castle Phoenix 130 Amp in with a separate 10 amp UBEC. I generally use Castle ESC's unless I'm using the stock ones. With that being said, the Freewing 130 Amp would have worked just fine if I started with that. In power testing on that fan using a GT Power meter, the highest amps drawn where 117.5 amps on a fully charged Roaring Top 70 C battery on the bench going from "0-full throttle". Of course that would be less if the fan had any air entering the intake ducts from actual air speed, so let's say 120 amps is likely the highest draw you will encounter.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              Again, Thank you. Steve

• Thanks guys for the support, those that order the battery tray/ NG reinforcement they are all out and on their way to you!
            Planes
            -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
            -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Just ordered the BA HP version PNP. Someone mentioned that the elevator needs attention as in upgraded. I'm trying to find the thread on that.

Comment

Aros, Sorry a bit off topic, but I am going to have to buy a video camera or an SLR that shoots decent video. I remember a thread started awhile back talking about cameras, video cameras and how to shoot better pictures/vids. Has there been much activity there lately? Need to check it out myself. Between MotionRC and Callie Graphics running the occasional photo contest, I hope that forum gets more attention. Is the only way to post videos on Hobby Squawk through uutooob? Best, LB
                I'm using a Canon Vixia HD HF 20 video camera with Dolby Sound. My SLR is a Canon Rebel T5 with a 70mm-300mm lens. What I could afford. YouTube Mrtcoltpilot.

Comment

• Comment

• There is a lot of discussion on the forums, probably more on the RC Groups forum and it resulted in a bulletin on the motion site under the support tab for the F-18.

https://www.motionrc.com/pages/produ...f-a-18c-hornet

Newer kits should be good. Many replaced the servos but to be honest mine was in the first batch and has been good now for about 130 flights.

Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                    Just ordered the BA HP version PNP. Someone mentioned that the elevator needs attention as in upgraded. I'm trying to find the thread on that.

Comment

• Finally got around to upgrading the hornet to the new 1835kv. Flies great and hit top speed of 128mph. Forward to 9:20

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
                        Finally got around to upgrading the hornet to the new 1835kv. Flies great and hit top speed of 128mph. Forward to 9:20
                        https://youtu.be/KVjxtRbMTeI
                        Rcfiddy1 excellent flight, gotta love the sound of the 12 blade, I have that fan in my F-16 and it performs great. I hear that fan is a drop in fit for the F-18 (it was for the F-16), no? Assume you stayed with the Freewing 130 amp ESC. What battery are you using and what kind of flight time are you now getting.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• It was a drop in. I did keep the 130a esc. This flight was on a RT5000 landed with 3.87 at 3mins. I have a 6000 I am going to try tomorrow. I ordered the last 1835 from motion Today for my f16. Heard so many reports that the stock power was lacking punch. Now I won’t worry too much with this motor.

Comment

• Rcfiddy1 thanks for the update, appreciate it. I haven't felt that the stock outrunner really lacked punch, but since I can't compare it to the inrunner you are using until I upgrade it, I can't really say. Sounds like you're very satisfied with it though. I'm using the RT 6250 35C on the stock 9 blade outrunner and get almost 5 minutes on it (looks like you'll get that easily as 3.87 is about what, 55% left? The 1835 Kv inrunner you are now using that I also have in my F-16 gets me only 3:15 flight time on a RT 5500 70C (coming in with 20% left), but about 3:45 on the 6250. The 35C with that inrunner produces about 5-7% less take-off thrust than the 70C, but the additional flight time is worth it. On the outrunner, both the 35C and 70C produce almost the same thrust for some reason, so I can use the 35C without loosing anything, plus it weighs 30g less. I'm waiting on the Hobbystar 8000 mah 100C to try on the 1835 Kv fan, so we'll see how that goes. It just fits in the F-16 but not sure it will fit in the F-18. If I can fit it in, we may be looking at 6-8 minutes but would definitely need the extra punch of the 1835 inrunner!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• It fits Hugh. I was surprised that I didn't get as much of a flight time increase as I thought I should in my planes where I tried 5200, 6200 and 8000... I didn't do it in my F-18 since I built it 8S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                It fits Hugh. I was surprised that I didn't get as much of a flight time increase as I thought I should in my planes where I tried 5200, 6200 and 8000... I didn't do it in my F-18 since I built it 8S.
                                Thanks Evan D I'll probably leave the 8000's for the F-16 and SU-30. Actually quite pleased with just the RT 6250's and the stock outrunner, flies very well for my style, not a speed demon, and get's enough flight time to keep me happy.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• has anyone tried a hobby eagle gyro in their F18 yet? Just wondering what gains you are finding work well

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                                    has anyone tried a hobby eagle gyro in their F18 yet? Just wondering what gains you are finding work well
                                    Yes. Start with 25% and work up till there's oscillation at max speed, then back off a little. The other option is to hook up the master gain (you'll need more channels), start with the gain at 50% and the knob on the TX at around 11 o'clock and increase little by little till it oscillates, then turn it down till it stops when at max speed. Make a note of it on the inside of the battery compartment so you know where to put it the next time out. On this plane use ONLY "normal" gain. Don't use "3D" gain at all - set it to zero.

Comment

• Hello fellow squawkers we finally got our maiden flight in on our FW F-18 and boys this one is amazing. We upgraded to the new HP motor and wow virtual is almost unlimited now. I’m truly amazed every time I fly one of these now and I really do recommend everyone try’s one. If you have a grass field there is no other F-18 on the market that will treat you this good. Anyway check out the video hit that like and we will see you on the next one.

Comment

Working...
                                      X