X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dam718 View Post

I ended up using Model Masters Acrylic 4761 Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320) as my base coat... 6 jars of it... LoL! In hind sight I probably should have used my siphon feed brush for the whole job, but I did use the siphon feed brush for my base coat. Made things a lot easier rather than having to keep loading up more paint every minute or two...
    I started off first trying FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey from Tamiya (two small spray cans) for the base coat on the top surfaces, but it ended up looking more light blue than I cared for vs. grey.

I sanded that down and re-sprayed it in FS36320 Dark Ghost Grey from Vallejo (needed about 1.5 17 ml bottles) through an airbrush I ended up buying for this project, which seemed to go better and is a shade more grey (vs. blue) than the Tamiya in how it came out.

I'm still trying to decide on if I'm going to spray the bottom in Light Ghost Grey.

I might just finish the tail and try my hand at some weathering and call it a day to keep the weight down. Got the stickers from Callie and will put those on once I finish spraying.

Comment

• I really like the Vallejo Model Air paints, but they didn't have Dark Ghost Gray in stock when I was shopping for paint at Hobbytown. The white, black, and black grays I used were all Vallejo. They lay down so smooth...

Comment

• Great job, Dave. I'm glad to see it all complete and ready to rock for the flight. It's always a great feeling finishing a project and standing back to look at the masterpiece created, even though it can be a royal pain in the crack to do. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
          Great job, Dave. I'm glad to see it all complete and ready to rock for the flight. It's always a great feeling finishing a project and standing back to look at the masterpiece created, even though it can be a royal pain in the crack to do. LOL
          Pain in the crack indeed, but well worth the effort!

Comment

• Originally posted by dam718 View Post

Pain in the crack indeed, but well worth the effort!
            LOL, that's so true.

Comment

• A quick question. Did I read and understand correctly that the F18 needs a touch of UP elevator with flaps? Fixing to do the maiden and wanted to make sure this is correct, as most flap applications require some DOWN elevator.
              Thanks

Comment

• Yes, I have 7 and 12% with normal flaps. I also have full span flaps and my flap throw is less (about half) than regular flaps because they are very effective. With full span flaps my elevator mix is 14 and 20%.

Comment

• Finally put the maiden on the Blue Angels F-18 HP 90mm in-runner. What a joy to fly. Pulse 5000 45c @ 3 minutes 45% and 3.8 on all cells. Flew mostly half to 3/4 throttle. 80% high rate with 30% expo all flight controls. No bad habbits and greased the landing. Flaps on flight mode to elevator trim mix worked out excellent. Will add AS3X for breezy conditions as it does get pushed around a bit. Nothing major.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by machone View Post
                    A quick question. Did I read and understand correctly that the F18 needs a touch of UP elevator with flaps? Fixing to do the maiden and wanted to make sure this is correct, as most flap applications require some DOWN elevator.
                    Thanks
                    Flap and elevators depends on the wing type for up or down. F-4, F-18, F-16 require up elevator. The A-10 on the other hand requires a bit of down elevator. Usually the high lift wings will require down elevator.

Comment

• I have customized a bit mine and it is ready for maiden.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Inlets complete. Next to paint the exterior of the jet in high gloss clear coat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200925_212858753_HDR.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	276756

Comment

• Originally posted by Suhast View Post
                          I have customized a bit mine and it is ready for maiden.
                          Nice looking livery! Good to see a variety out there.
                          Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Here's mine from the Golden Dragons, almost ready for a re-maiden.

Just have some details and weathering on the fuse to finish. This was my first attempt at airbrushing as well as weathering and only my second re-finish. Went better than my first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0129.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	276829

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
                              Here's mine from the Golden Dragons, almost ready for a re-maiden.

Just have some details and weathering on the fuse to finish. This was my first attempt at airbrushing as well as weathering and only my second re-finish. Went better than my first.

Name:	IMG-0129.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	276829
                              Love those vertical stabs, very nice!!!!
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Mizer67 BTW, are those dragons from Callie? Didn't notice them on her website, but whoever made them, very cool!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• The next one is always better. Your Dragon looks excellent! I served on Kitty Hawk back in '83.
                                  Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Gloss coat applied to my Blue Angels F-18. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_174957173_HDR.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	276885

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                      Mizer67 BTW, are those dragons from Callie? Didn't notice them on her website, but whoever made them, very cool!
                                      Yes, Callie. My luck was that she has this one ready to go but just doesn't have it posted on the website, so it was relatively quick

Some of the details and dimensions of the decals for this livery are slightly off, but the dragons came out great.

Comment

• Good work you guys! Love the various liveries and attention to detail ColtPilot!

Ordered my High Performance BA which will be #3. Everything checked out great during the build. Taxi test was just fine. Ready to maiden tomorrow and I cannot WAIT to add Elbee's awesome 3DP cockpit!!

Name:	number3.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	276961
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Alpha that 3D cockpit for the F-18 definitely is outstanding, it will really jazz it up. There are only about 2 thousand individual parts that make it up, so don't forget to order the encyclopedia with it that describes where each piece goes. If it helps, which I've never been accused of that, I also stuck a 1/10 scale JH hobby pilot in as well, but you need a crowbar to squeeze him in with and you may have to name him Arnold.
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X