Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my Freewing F18 which started as a grey version. I sanded all the foam release "stars" off with 220 paper then sprayed and sanded two coats of Liquitex white primer and finished sanding with 320 paper. Then two coats of both colors and finished with two coats of clear Minwax Polycrylic. I've tried both brushing and spraying the clear coats, but I prefer using a foam brush because I can get the "wet" look easier then spraying and with no runs. With a foam brush it smooths right out after application.

Comment

• Originally posted by SWOFLY View Post
      Here's my Freewing F18 which started as a grey version.
      SW, Very nicely done. Looks outstanding. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Cape Jets did a nice job brushing on the gloss coat. I want to do the same thing but I am concerned that I don't know how to replicate the same smooth finish of the stock satin, just with gloss instead. In other words, I feel that adding gloss really highlights all the imperfections of the foam surface. It's impossible not to really, since high gloss is going to pick up much more light and reflection so if there is any bumps or imperfections, those will naturally be highlighted. This is not about someone's lack of painting skill, but just the way gloss works on a surface.

Would love to hear comments on this topic. We all know EPO foam has it's surface limitations. It's not balsa, it's not composite where you can have a perfect finish. It has cells that can be highlighted with sun/temps and yes, gloss. This is the one thing that is keeping me from grabbing a brush and water-based polycrylic at the moment to complete the scale look.
        Been spraying and brushing models for like forever, new to RC planes though same concept on detailing. Spraying is a true art form and takes practice not to remove what you did and try again(been there many times). At the same time you can get really good even coats and coverage with spraying. But there is always a but....it takes more prep and the overspray will get everywhere and it smells plus lets not forget the fumes that will give u a buzz if you don't ventilate..... Now this is coming from someone that does all my building in my basement.
        (Note: The wife hates the smell of paint in the entire house,, go figure) So brushing for me is my best option based on where I build. I have about 6 different size foam brushes I use to get the coverage I need. I lay on a light coat, lightly scuff up and put on a heavy coat. The Minwax spreads out really good and I really don't need to mask off anything. Bottom line is I think any model with a gloss finish is the way to go.....I'm putting a gloss coat on a Silver P-38 right now and so far it looks great.....

Comment

Here's my Freewing F18 which started as a grey version. I sanded all the foam release "stars" off with 220 paper then sprayed and sanded two coats of Liquitex white primer and finished sanding with 320 paper. Then two coats of both colors and finished with two coats of clear Minwax Polycrylic. I've tried both brushing and spraying the clear coats, but I prefer using a foam brush because I can get the "wet" look easier then spraying and with no runs. With a foam brush it smooths right out after application.
          That looks quite nice!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Here's my Freewing F18 which started as a grey version. I sanded all the foam release "stars" off with 220 paper then sprayed and sanded two coats of Liquitex white primer and finished sanding with 320 paper. Then two coats of both colors and finished with two coats of clear Minwax Polycrylic. I've tried both brushing and spraying the clear coats, but I prefer using a foam brush because I can get the "wet" look easier then spraying and with no runs. With a foam brush it smooths right out after application.
            Looks great in the Blue Angels theme with the gloss finish..... Now that the Blue's use the Super Hornet will Motion build the new one...?

Comment

• I’m always down for another Hornet, although I highly doubt they’ll do a Super Hornet any time soon, ha-ha. I still prefer a single-seat “E” variant over the twin-seat “F”.

Comment

• Just a short video I made showing the differences in elevator mounting between the initial release and current production models.

Comment

• Here is a new video that was released on YouTube regarding a Blue Angels F/A-18 Legacy walk around. There is a lot of great information in this video, and it’s fun and interesting to hear the pilots stories. Enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                    Here is a new video that was released on YouTube regarding a Blue Angels F/A-18 Legacy walk around. There is a lot of great information in this video, and it’s fun and interesting to hear the pilots stories. Enjoy!
                    TC, thank you for posting that video and if you've watched any of his other videos you know what amazing images he posts. Again, thanks. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TC, thank you for posting that video and if you've watched any of his other videos you know what amazing images he posts. Again, thanks. Best, LB
                      It is a great channel!

Comment

• T-CAT never thought I'd have the patience to watch anything for over an hour, but couldn't turn it off (but I am stuck inside cause it's rainin). Thanks for shaing this. Loved the stories and his description of landing being a controlled crash. Hey, just like mine, except for the "controlled" part.

Very interesting about the 3 light system indicating a 8.1 degree AOA on landing, now if MRC or a RX could accomplish that for me, I'd be happy as a pig in .
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                          T-CAT nVery interesting about the 3 light system indicating a 8.1 degree AOA on landing, now if MRC or a RX could accomplish that for me, I'd be happy as a pig in .
                          Hugh, ya gotta get yourself a 3DP printer. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	300029Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	300030
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0091.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	300029Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0407.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	300030
                            WOW, I should have guessed that yours would be "fully equiped". I'll bet that it is the only one on this planet with that light. But me with a 3D printer would be like asking a caveman to perform brain surgery.

The other thing of value I learned in the video is that the F18 is "Fly by Wire" and almost impossible to fly or land on "mechanical ". So I have a call into MRC because it seems my "Fly by Wire" ain't working and is stuck on "Mech". Got disconnected on the call after describing the problem but hoping they'll call back soon.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                              T-CAT never thought I'd have the patience to watch anything for over an hour, but couldn't turn it off (but I am stuck inside cause it's rainin). Thanks for shaing this. Loved the stories and his description of landing being a controlled crash. Hey, just like mine, except for the "controlled" part.

Very interesting about the 3 light system indicating a 8.1 degree AOA on landing, now if MRC or a RX could accomplish that for me, I'd be happy as a pig in .
                              Ha-ha! I was stuck like glue to that video. It could have gone for hours more and I would have been captivated.

Comment

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	300029Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	300030
                                That looks so amazing!

Comment

• Elbee
                                  Elbee commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks, TC. I stole Christmas miniature lights from Tamms, okay, I asked her nicely if I could have a set and then did myself some tiny soldering. In the Hornet I combined the negative (-) side into one wire to keep it simpler. the Phantom lighting is three separate lights: red, yellow green. that was a tiny print I can tell ya. The Seafire (Spitfire) has3 Comm lights in the aft fuselage, similar to the Corsair and Mustang wing lighting. I used the mixing controller from the Christmas lights to change from one to the other. Way to much time on my hands evidently. Best to you and yours, LB

• Time well spent in my opinion!

Comment

• I have designed some simple 3D printable LEX Vents (non-functional of course) and a LEX Fence bottom add-on piece for added realism. These should glue on rather easily. I just put them up on Thingiverse at the links below if you're interested in downloading the STL files.

Name:	LEXvents&foundation.PNG
Views:	498
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	300336

Comment

• Thanks T-CAT and to everyone who takes the time to offer various STL files for the community! Super cool, man.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                      Thanks T-CAT and to everyone who takes the time to offer various STL files for the community! Super cool, man.
                                      Thanks Aros! Learning CAD has been a lot of fun and it's fun to see people enjoy customizing/modifying their models with 3D parts.

Comment

• Some more F-18 'throwing around' with a few exceptional landings.

And by exceptional I mean I seldom land just as smooth, rofl.

Comment

Working...
                                        X