Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, that crash I talked to you guys about... there it goes!

Comment

• Definitely sucks to see that, sorry for the crash but a well-deserved LOL for the graphics/editing! We've all been there...The dreaded stall you can't quite pull out of. Helpless feeling for sure. I assume this was from a while back?
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Glad you liked it! :)
        Yes, the air-to-air video of the Hornet that I posted not long ago was in fact the 're-maiden' after the crash and repairs.
        I have a long queue of edits so things usually come out some time after the flights were made (with a few exceptions). ;)

Comment

• What a great edit. so sorry about the crash. I recently had to fish mine out of a lake due to signal loss. Theirs that moment no mater what the cause when you know you going down nothing you can do about it and your like oh $&!T ! Just part of the hobby.

Comment

• Thanks Gary!

It is the moment that...

"And it was at this moment that he knew he f***** up."

Comment

• Airguardian I know I've asked you this before, but can't find the post (I'm also a bit lazy in looking), but approximately where are you at with CG. Book CG is 88mm and I've been flying my Canadian F-18 at around 93mm but with the original stock 9 blade 3748-1750 Kv outrunner in it. I just installed the 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunner and getting the balance is a bit tricky for me. Not much room in the battery bay with the 3D cockpit as the pilot well goes all the way into the battery bay. The 3D cockpit added about 150 g of extra weight in the nose and I had to put the battery way in under the foam (also had to remove the BB to do it) and added 1 1/2 ounces in the tail just to get it in the 90-90 mm range. Now with the inrunner, which weighs about 125 g more than the old stock outrunner, I've probably got some shifting around to do and will at least be able to remove the lead from the tail. I know you generally feel more comfortable with a much more tail heavy bird than most, but I just want a range to try and shoot for as I start shifting things around. I seem to remember that you like it somewhere around 105 or more, so if I can be able to adjust the battery for a range of maybe 93 mm to 100 mm, that might work for me, at least for now.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• All I know is my latest Blue is pretty forward for CG. I can see why Airguardian likes his CG plenty aft based on his flight style but for me personally, I fly her very scale and as such I find a forward CG much more to my liking. As they say, to each their own. There really is no "wrong" method here, it's truly a matter of preference and flying style.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                  Airguardian I know I've asked you this before, but can't find the post (I'm also a bit lazy in looking), but approximately where are you at with CG.
                  Can't really find it because I haven't posted it. Not my current location at least, I did post an 'in-between' setup before I turned on the gyro to begin experimenting with more radical CGs. At that point I was flying full-manual and Cg was at 100mm aprox. After that I went as far aft as 112mm BEFORE turning on the gyro if memory serves me well, and that's about as much aft I'd recommend anyone setting his without adding a gyro to the mix. For further aft CG, you MUST add the gyro on this plane because lateral stability degrades very bad, very quickly, past that point. The Lightburner I installed helped a lot with moving CG aft, along with removing blue box and installing batts as aft as possible on the battery compartment.

The post was somewhere here in Squawk, but I bookmarked the one RCG instead so there it is:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3961

Actually, FWIW, I'll repost here:

Originally posted by Su-4ever/Airguardian;
                  So, this is not my final setup for the F-18 as I want to keep pushing CG back to improve performance but it's flying rather ok now so I'm posting my current settings. I have a gyro on the jet (Guardian 2D/3D on tailerons) but so far it has been switched off on all the sorties (10 flights so far) so the following data reflects my adjustments for the 'unstabilized plane', gyro OFF.

WEIGHT:
                  Plane weight without batteries: 2800g
                  Main battery pack weight (Panther 6S 5000mAh '75C'): 870g
                  Rx battery pack weight (Rhino 2S 610mAh): 40g
                  Take-off weight: 3710g

CG:
                  100mm behind wing's leading edge at root. This setting is actually STILL NOSE HEAVY.
                  (Imagine how bad the 88mm from the manual reccomendation is... duh!)

TX THROWS/EXPO:
                  These numbers correspond to a Taranis X9D+ transmitter 'inputs page' running OpenTx 2.1.19.
                  First number is mix weight (throws) and second is exponential curve % value.

(Low - Mid - High Rates)
                  Pitch: 60/50 - 80/55 - 100/60
                  Roll: 35/65 - 50/65 - 100/70
                  Yaw: 75/30 - 85/30 - 100/30

I basically fly all the time on high rates (numbers in bold letters) and the jet still feels kinda sluggish...
                  Guess I'm too used to the Su-35 and Eurofighter, lol.

MECHANICAL THROWS:

I limited the tailerons' throws so that they will not collide with rudders when both are deflected at maximum. That's basically my setup.

PITCH
                  Tailerons: (Measuring deflection of the stab leading edge at root)
                  - Low rates: pitch up - 30mm / pitch down - 27mm
                  - Mid rates: pitch up - 40mm / pitch down - 35mm
                  - High rates: pitch up - 47mm / pitch down - 45mm

ROLL
                  Tailerons: (Measuring deflection of the stab leading edge at root)
                  - Low rates: Symmetrical - 18mm
                  - Mid rates: Symmetrical - 25mm
                  - High rates: Symmetrical - 45mm
                  Ailerons: (Measuring deflection of the aileron trailing edge where it meets the flap)
                  - Low rates: up deflection - 13mm / down deflection - 11mm
                  - Mid rates: up deflection - 20mm / down deflection - 15mm
                  - High rates: up deflection - 35mm / down deflection - 28mm

YAW
                  Rudder: (Measured on the lower part of the rudder trailing edge, flat to the horizon, NOT orthogonal to rudder hinge axis)
                  - Low rates: inwards - 17mm / outwards - 23mm
                  - Mid rates: inwards - 20mm / outwards - 30mm
                  - High rates: inwards - 25mm / outwards - 40mm

MECHANICAL OFFSETS (TRIM):

All in-flight trimming is performed with tailerons. Trim for the ailerons and flaps are disabled.

Ailerons: Aligned with flaps (UP position)
                  Rudders: Aligned with vertical stab trailing edge

FLAPS UP (mechanical limit)
                  - Flaps: 0mm (Measuring deflection of the flaps trailing edge where it meets the aileron)
                  - Tailerons: pitch up - 5mm (Measuring deflection of the stab leading edge at root with respect to fuselage joint-line)
                  FLAPS 1
                  - Flaps: 16mm (Measuring deflection of the flaps trailing edge where it meets the aileron)
                  - Tailerons: pitch up - 10mm (Measuring deflection of the stab leading edge at root with respect to fuselage joint-line)
                  FLAPS 2
                  - Flaps: 32mm (Measuring deflection of the flaps trailing edge where it meets the aileron)
                  - Tailerons: pitch up - 15mm (Measuring deflection of the stab leading edge at root with respect to fuselage joint-line)

That's it for now... more videos coming soon!

Since this was already quite an improvement over stock setup, I took the effort of compiling the setup before I moved on to 'radical' CGs that I have NOT advertised publically... yet.
                  Haven't really measured it either but I'm probably at 120mm or maybe even further back now.

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                  I know you generally feel more comfortable with a much more tail heavy bird than most, but I just want a range to try and shoot for as I start shifting things around. I seem to remember that you like it somewhere around 105 or more, so if I can be able to adjust the battery for a range of maybe 93 mm to 100 mm, that might work for me, at least for now.
                  Suitable range for manual operation (no gyro) according to me: 95-112mm
                  100-110mm is probably your best bet.
                  Hope that helps!

Comment

• Airguardian and Aros, thanks for your input, very much appreciated. Now I've got some tweaking and adjustment of components to get too!
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Consider I basically fly the Hornet always onhigh rates so the medium and low settings may not be 'as refined'. ;)

Comment

• Well, well, well Hugh Wiedman it seems we are matched up against one another 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• After talking with you, (on RCGROUPS I believe) I programmed in Tailerons on my new F-18. They are active 100% of the time and I’m not going to change anything. I now have only 6 flights on the F-18, but it handles wonderfully with Tailerons.
                          Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Can't really find it because I haven't posted it. Not my current location at least, I did post an 'in-between' setup before I turned on the gyro to begin experimenting with more radical CGs. At that point I was flying full-manual and Cg was at 100mm aprox. After that I went as far aft as 112mm BEFORE turning on the gyro if memory serves me well, and that's about as much aft I'd recommend anyone setting his without adding a gyro to the mix. For further aft CG, you MUST add the gyro on this plane because lateral stability degrades very bad, very quickly, past that point. The Lightburner I installed helped a lot with moving CG aft, along with removing blue box and installing batts as aft as possible on the battery compartment.

The post was somewhere here in Squawk, but I bookmarked the one RCG instead so there it is:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3961

Actually, FWIW, I'll repost here:

Since this was already quite an improvement over stock setup, I took the effort of compiling the setup before I moved on to 'radical' CGs that I have NOT advertised publically... yet.
                          Haven't really measured it either but I'm probably at 120mm or maybe even further back now.

Suitable range for manual operation (no gyro) according to me: 95-112mm
                          100-110mm is probably your best bet.
                          Hope that helps!

Comment

• Good to hear!
                            I take it that you liked the improvement, way to go! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                              Well, well, well Hugh Wiedman it seems we are matched up against one another 🤣🤣🤣
                              Yikes, just what I needed! This year's entries were incredible, clearly we've all had way too much time in the shop instead of out flying! And James certainly set up some "explosive" first rounds.

Hey James you think you used enough dynamite there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	butch-and-sundance_railroad-car-blowing-up.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	303992

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Agree, those matches from the first round were really tough calls!
                                After the first one, the rest seemed pretty eas to me

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                  Good to hear!
                                  I take it that you liked the improvement, way to go! :)
                                  Thanks! It worked out great.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman

James

Comment

• I’ve got mine around 100mm and I love the feel of the jet. Very manoeuvrable. I haven’t gone with tailerons on mine yet but hoping to get some 9 channel receivers soon to experiment with this set up.

Mines one of the Canadian Norad scheme and I think the other fella I’m pitched with has done an amazing job on his. Set wide open for the first round 🤛😁

Comment

• Sigh.

This one was ALL on me. Perfect flight conditions, no wind, good time of day to fly. Placed the RunCam2 on the bottom side facing forward to switch up the view. Took off, everything was going great. Nice and smooth flight and just as I was starting to think about setting up in the pattern to land (according to my timer I had another 90 seconds or so, plenty of time) I noticed a MAJOR power drain.

Uh oh. I was pretty far out at the time so I rushed to get her back into the pattern and by the down wind, I knew I was out of time and it was either ditch in a drainage area behind a fence or try to cut the downwind in half and get her down inside the track PRONTO. Unfortunately when I banked her on a premature base leg she stalled out and all I could do was watch her ogre in helplessly.

The flight itself was under 2 minutes and 20 seconds. My average flight times are over 3 minutes with mAh to spare in the Admiral 6000's I use. The only thing I can think of is I grabbed the wrong battery...One that wasn't freshly charged like I thought it was.

A sobering reminder to ALWAYS use a cell checker on your batteries before flying. And I just got her all dialed in too! Dang it all. So it's either a new fuse or ARF+ for me.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Wow, sorry again... bad juju.

Auger v Ogre...

Comment

Working...
                                          X