X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
    Added polyurethane gloss coats to Lucky #7 last weekend...I was really impressed with how smooth it dries! (I've noticed photos don't do these gloss coats justice). Unfortunately this latest ARF+ had a little bit more gatoring than my others so it did highlight those areas a bit but not too bad at all.
    OOOH Baby, what a sweet looking BA with the Gloss Coat. Took me a while , but now I get the #7 on the tail, but then whose counting.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modelhead View Post
      Here is the approach and landing. It was longer than typical.. There’s another additional 50 feet beyond where she stopped before hitting a rock wall. There are no go arounds. Thoughts on landing the F18 here please. Thanks!
      Possible, but appears hard to do consistently from the visuals.

The F-18 has a speed at which it, before it stalls on you with the nose/wings level, it approaches the glide ratio of a brick. If you ride the edge while adding just enough power not break something in the flare, you could land in that space as the roll out will be minimal on grass.

I wouldn't try it until I was very comfortable with the jet, personally.

Comment

Added polyurethane gloss coats to Lucky #7 last weekend...I was really impressed with how smooth it dries! (I've noticed photos don't do these gloss coats justice). Unfortunately this latest ARF+ had a little bit more gatoring than my others so it did highlight those areas a bit but not too bad at all.
        Aros, What do you mean, "Not too bad...." She's stunning. I see why you like the BA Version. It is perfect in the glossier finishes. Makes all the difference. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Lucky "7". I agree. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the info. Got the jet today and intend to maiden at a field. I did measure the static thrust at right around 7lbs. Does anyone know what the static thrust of the 1835kv motor is? If you have one- would you mind measuring? Thanks

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman Elbee thanks gents...And for those who are counting, a successful maiden with Lucky #7 in the books! Flew like a dream (the Hobby Eagle gyro is a great addition and really helps on a maiden), very little trim needed. I do have my Admiral 6S 6000 pretty far forward but I like this girl nose heavy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	number7maiden3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	306597Click image for larger version  Name:	number7maiden2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	306598Click image for larger version  Name:	number7maiden1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	306599
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Hugh Wiedman Elbee thanks gents...And for those who are counting, a successful maiden with Lucky #7 in the books! Flew like a dream (the Hobby Eagle gyro is a great addition and really helps on a maiden), very little trim needed. I do have my Admiral 6S 6000 pretty far forward but I like this girl nose heavy.
              Click image for larger version Name:	number7maiden3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	306597Click image for larger version Name:	number7maiden2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	306598Click image for larger version Name:	number7maiden1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	306599

I see the camera, so I'll wait for the confirmation video that the maiden was a success, not that we don't believe you, but seeing is believing and there's nothing worse than "premature congratulations"!
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Jandro, that realy surprised me. You‘re absolutely right. There‘s plenty of hidden space. I think, I won‘t need additional calibration weights. Thanks for your help... again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modelhead View Post
                  Thanks everyone for the info. Got the jet today and intend to maiden at a field. I did measure the static thrust at right around 7lbs. Does anyone know what the static thrust of the 1835kv motor is? If you have one- would you mind measuring? Thanks
                  Mine did 3350 - 3400 grams at peak voltage.

I haven't measured the 1900kv motor in my F-18, but the old 1750kv outrunner did 2950 - 3000 grams for comparison.

Feels like a bigger difference in flight, but still 6S power so don't expect unlimited vertical. My F-22 will do about 850 ft. maximum give or take pulled straight up from a level, full throttle pass with the 1835kv, which isn't all that different from what I recorded on 8S in the same plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                    Cancel that, I see it at 100mm 👍
                    100mm was the one I had at the time I posted my setup. Later on I moved it back to 112mm and I preferred it there.
                    That's as much aft as I'd advise anyone going without a gyro. Now I'm probably past 120mm... but I use a gyro.

100-110 should be a good starting point. If anything, start at 100 and slowly move aft and retrim if you feel like it :)

Originally posted by Polyphren View Post
                    Jandro, that realy surprised me. You‘re absolutely right. There‘s plenty of hidden space. I think, I won‘t need additional calibration weights. Thanks for your help... again.
                    Glad to help! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                      I see the camera, so I'll wait for the confirmation video that the maiden was a success...
                      Weeeeeeeeell, about that. Unfortunately my RunCam2 battery has pooped the bed...My last two video attempts have only recorded about 30 seconds worth of video before shutting down. It happened with my F-22 last week and happened again yesterday for my F-18 maiden. Figures! Already put a request in for a replacement. Guess your just gonna have to take my word for it...

<maniacal laughter>MOOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHA</maniacal laughter>

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Weeeeeeeeell, about that. Guess your just gonna have to take my word for it...
                        If you insist, but I've got my eye on you!
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• LOL, I have a new 4K on the way! Oh, and here's proof she at least got off the ground before the video cut out...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yeah I noticed it definitely gave it a nice thin but hard protective surface...Now if only I can afford one of those gorgeous Jet Power BA's! Maybe in my next life. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	306523
                            Looks Great Aros.....I knew you would like the gloss coat. And yes pictures don't do it justice. I gloss everything I have. Protects the thin paint layer and I do notice less bug strikes chip the paint on the wing edges. Plus in the sunshine man does it pop.... Enjoy number #7

Comment

• Thanks Cape Jets! I hope to enjoy it a lot longer than her predecessors, lol.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Got out today on a gorgeous day and got a ton of flights on 5 EDF's, including 6 on my F-18 Canadian with the recently installed 12 blade 1835 Kv inrunner. I absolutely love that fan in this bird, now I can't image how I even flew it with the original 9 blade 1750 Kv outrunner. It's now blazing fast (at least for me), climbs spectacularly, takes off in half the distance (but the old fan was barely acceptable) and the woooooosh of a 12 blade is sweet. The only fan I will put in any 90 mm from now on (now have 4 of these apparently gold plated motors , judging on what MRC charges for it-but a must have). Flew it balanced at 100-102 mm, which is as far back as I can get the battery (due to the extra 150 g of weight in the 3D cockpit), even with the circuit board removed and the battery jammed as far aft as possible. Flies very well there but still a bit nose heavy, high alpha's OK, but could be further back, as per Airguardian (thanks for the recommendation). So I guess I'll have to put some more lead in the tail to be able to get it to 105-110 mm, but probably that's as far back as I'll fly it and I do have a gyro and satellite in it.

I'll upload a video when I get a chance, so Aros doesn't think I'm fibbing, seeing will be believing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_121010.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	306823Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_121027.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	306825Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_135752.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	306824Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_124924.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	306826
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Hugh, do a functional tail hook mod instead of dead lead. ! servo and some plastic for the control horn gotta weight something. The tail hook just screws together and I put a fabricated control horn in the tailhook at the pivot point. It takes a little finesse to on the foam surgery, but at least it is something more than just a weight. Food for thought but just a suggestion. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    Hugh, do a functional tail hook mod instead of dead lead. ! servo and some plastic for the control horn gotta weight something. The tail hook just screws together and I put a fabricated control horn in the tailhook at the pivot point. It takes a little finesse to on the foam surgery, but at least it is something more than just a weight. Food for thought but just a suggestion. Best, LB
                                    Sounds like a plan, certainly something to think about. BTW, you will definitely love the way your Black Aces flies on the 12 blade! I'm actually glad I flew mine on the stock motor for a while before upgrading it so I really got a taste of the difference. I also suspect you have the original 9 blade 1750Kv outrunner in your beautiful F-4. The difference in that one is even more dramatic going to the 12 blade inrunner!
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Can also add a centerburner! (Unless you already have one installed!)

Your F-18 truly looks the part! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                        Can also add a centerburner! (Unless you already have one installed!)

Your F-18 truly looks the part! :)
                                        Already have the RC Geek twin burners, gotta have em, wouldn't be without em! More important than any other mod! If I ever get around to the video, you'll see! Of course my real problem was created by Elbee with the cockpit design he uploaded to the MRC webpage. That added 150 g extra weight to the nose along with the full body pilot. It's his fault entirely!

BTW, what batteries are you using. I've tried the RT 5500 70C (794 g) and the HRB 6000 50-100C (slightly heavier at 826 g) and both perform well and result in at least 4 minutes flight time. I'm always in search of "better" batteries, and have found that the inrunners do much better on a higher C battery, but of course they also are heavier. And the search goes on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200427_173546.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	306860Click image for larger version  Name:	20200426_183556.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	306861
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Hi guys, have 100+ flights on a carbon cub s+ and looking to upgrade to an edf. I know this one is probably more than most would suggest for a first jet but I’m pretty confident I could fly it fine. A couple questions.... I’m considering this one and the freewing f-22. Only reason I’m favoring this one is because of the lights and I like flying at dusk. Any thoughts on which is better ? Also I’ve never been the one responsible for transmitter and receiver setup , always had rtf’s . What exactly would you suggest To complete this package correctly but still on a budget . Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X