X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    with the cockpit design he uploaded to the MRC webpage. That added 150 g extra weight to the nose along with the full body pilot. It's his fault entirely!
    Hahahaha!
    I go the opposite route and remove pilots instead, lol.
    But that 3D cockpit looks awesome. I'll likely make one for my FPV build whenever I get there!

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    BTW, what batteries are you using. I've tried the RT 5500 70C (794 g) and the HRB 6000 50-100C (slightly heavier at 826 g) and both perform well and result in at least 4 minutes flight time. I'm always in search of "better" batteries, and have found that the inrunners do much better on a higher C battery, but of course they also are heavier. And the search goes on.
    I mostly use the heavy '75C' (55C really, according to MCSGuy) 5Ah Panthers. 870-876g.
    They are heavy but perform fantastically. From my six 5Ah packs only two are now starting to show a weak cell at almost 100 cycles of pretty hardcore abuse on my end.
    But you pay for it in weight which may not be the smartest of strategies.

If I lived in the States, right now I'd be ordering SMC and Liperior batteries to test out. Those seem to be solid contenders and not as heavy.
    Can't source those here in the EU though :'(

I really don't have much faith in any of the 'high tier' Li-Po contenders around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
      Hi guys, have 100+ flights on a carbon cub s+ and looking to upgrade to an edf. I know this one is probably more than most would suggest for a first jet but I’m pretty confident I could fly it fine. A couple questions.... I’m considering this one and the freewing f-22. Only reason I’m favoring this one is because of the lights and I like flying at dusk. Any thoughts on which is better ? Also I’ve never been the one responsible for transmitter and receiver setup , always had rtf’s . What exactly would you suggest To complete this package correctly but still on a budget . Thanks.
      I wouldn't suggest starting with something so expensive if you're on a budget and a Carbon Cub is your only experience, but of these two definitely the F-22, it's much more forgiving and closest to a big EDF trainer than most.

I won't delve into radios, but whatever you get, get at least 8 channels for current and future proofing your purchase a bit.

Comment

Hi guys, have 100+ flights on a carbon cub s+ and looking to upgrade to an edf. I know this one is probably more than most would suggest for a first jet but I’m pretty confident I could fly it fine. A couple questions.... I’m considering this one and the freewing f-22. Only reason I’m favoring this one is because of the lights and I like flying at dusk. Any thoughts on which is better ? Also I’ve never been the one responsible for transmitter and receiver setup , always had rtf’s . What exactly would you suggest To complete this package correctly but still on a budget . Thanks.
        I think the 22 would be a better candidate for a first EDF. The 18 is unforgiving.

As for dusk flying, really BAD idea unless you dim the nav-lights, install wingtip lights and deactivate the landing light entirely (or dim it a hell lot).
        I'm quite a dusk flyer myself, and I have serious problems flying this jet at that time, most particularly landing and have crashed it several times or have been close to because of this very issue, so not the best jet to force after sunset, take my word for it ;)

Get a Raptor, Avanti or Su-35 and you'll be much better off for a first jet.
        Even a Gripen will be a better first platform.

Get the Hornet as a second model. My 2 cents!

Comment

• F-22 and add thrust vectoring...

Comment

....]Elbee[/USER] with the cockpit design he uploaded to the MRC webpage. That added 150 g extra weight to the nose along with the full body pilot. It's his fault entirely!
            Hugh, I resemble that remark and I take full responsibility for your actions. How could I not? Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey guys since Im already underway with the Gripen project Ive been shopping for my next build. I want to reproduce all the coolest versions of the fighters and I think I might do this one next but turn it into the "Silk Purse", NASA's HARV Project, the only Thrust Vectoring F-!8. Heres a video on it, link at the bottom.
              Do you guys think one of the other models thrust vectoring units could be modified to work on this project?

But this also got me thinking as I see a lot of you are in the Gripen thread and own a bunch of these models... IF Motion is lost as to where to go next, why not start releasing these special versions based off the platforms they already make? We could always take votes on what we would like to see, which could easily be turned into a pre-order list to gauge if its worth it. Instead of building new models which takes years Im sure, we could be satisfied and drained of our money on these specialty versions of already produced models.
              Like for this one basically add a larger powerplant and modify a twin engine thrust vectoring unit to go on it, new paint scheme and BAM a special limited run is born.
              HOW BOUT IT ALPHA?

Thrust Vectoring - on an F18 Hornet! The Story of the NASA Dryden HARV Project:The F-18 HARV or High Alpha Research Vehicle was a NASA testbed used to study...

Comment

• Originally posted by BaltimoreBomber View Post
                Hey guys...
                BB, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. I think 'thrust-vectoring' on an F-18 would be a great mod. I would also think any nozzle that is a match or a near match to the Freewing's Hornet would be the place I'd start. If you go for it, post pictures of your build. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Many are very vocal anti TV... Even the F/A-18E that FreeWing used to have had a lot of people pinning the TVs down. When suggestions where made over the years many were vocal about not producing TV equipped aircraft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	306908Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	306909Click image for larger version

Name:	TV new.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	306910Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	306911

Comment

• Yeah TV is definitely a divisive topic. For me personally, I don't care for it. I totally get why some people love it, but it's just not my style. I don't think there's any right or wrong answer here, it's merely a matter of preference like most elements of the hobby.

Now the other TV I like very much. Especially Netflix.
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Finally uploaded a video of my F-18 Canadian flying with the recently installed 12 blade 1835 Kv inrunner. Absolutely love it now, but can't compare to the 9 blade inrunner the stock F-18 now comes with as mine originally had the 9 blade 1750 Kv outrunner. I could produce more thrust with a can of beans than that thing did. . I need to find someone with a decent video camera instead of a cell phone for videos, wish I lived near Airguardian and could kidnap his dad for a few hours!

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• So many eagles! :D
                        Been seeing hawks recently at my field... but typically one at a time, that's quite a show you have going on in there!
                        Oh, and nice flying, with that livery it looks just fantastic and really pops out! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                          Yeah TV is definitely a divisive topic. For me personally, I don't care for it. I totally get why some people love it, but it's just not my style. I don't think there's any right or wrong answer here, it's merely a matter of preference like most elements of the hobby.

Now the other TV I like very much. Especially Netflix.
                          I'm with you on that one, don't see no need for TV or care for it, just a matter of opinion........

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                            So many eagles! :D
                            Been seeing hawks recently at my field... but typically one at a time, that's quite a show you have going on in there!
                            Oh, and nice flying, with that livery it looks just fantastic and really pops out! :)
                            Actually not that many yesterday, usually flocks of ospreys, eagles, buzzards and others flying around, so much so that some of us get a little nervous that we might impale one. For some reason, every time I head out to the runway, flocks of vultures show up out of nowhere circling over my head, they must be quite familiar with my flying!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                              I'm with you on that one, don't see no need for TV or care for it, just a matter of opinion........
                              Having said that, I do enjoy watching peeps with skillz that enjoy it. It's like watching folks tick tock their heli's and other crazy maneuvers. Not something I would ever care to do but it's fun to watch others do it.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman as I wait for my new RunCam2 4K to arrive, I had 3 beautiful flights this evening with Lucky Number 7. Of course, on the second flight, the landing was perhaps the best greaser I may have ever had in my life with a jet.

Guess you will have to take my word for it. No proof!! (And of course doesn't it just figure.)
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hello Hornets,

Measured the CG today at 55mm from the mains on my Xicoy CG computer (that's 101mm from the wing root referenced to the manual).

I had to relocate the Blue Box to under the battery tray to get that (as recommended so thanks for that).

I'm curious, given all of the "lively" debate on the Mig-29 thread, has anybody needed to bypass the Blue Box on the F-18?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.7 KB ID:	306991

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8200.PNG Views:	0 Size:	196.2 KB ID:	306992

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	306993

Andy

Comment

Hi Hugh

Like the Red F18 A Sweet

I have also added a twin center burners on my Blue angel FA-18 Looks sweet! Also modded the canopy to put all wiring under the ply board and pushed all the way back so i can push my 8s 5000 mah Nanotec all the way back to get the correct cg.I Also installed a JP 90mm 1330kv 90mm full alloy edf 8s.

Also with a 3D mod for the Elevator support Similar to RC Informers ply and metal one. Click image for larger version

Name:	F18 elev 3d mod.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	307041

I have not maiden her yet will do it soon

Click image for larger version  Name:	1617450410070.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	307014
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	1617450410055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	307015Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210320-WA0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	307010Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210321-WA0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	307013Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210321-WA0002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	307012
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Con Papaioannou; Apr 3, 2021, 07:06 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

• I bypassed the MCBe on mine except for lights, gear and flaps but did it to get the mixing I wanted.

Comment

For some reason, every time I head out to the runway, flocks of vultures show up out of nowhere circling over my head, they must be quite familiar with my flying!
                                        I recall (back in the day) seeing like a hundred vultures chilling on the ground at cape canaveral (Kennedy Space Center). Had never seen so many of them in my entire life, let alone all together and free! (And chilling!) xD
                                        Looks like you have a bunch over there in FL.
                                        Maybe gotta make an RC-FPV one and infiltrate their ranks to shoot cool aerial footage of them while circling above!

Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                                        I'm curious, given all of the "lively" debate on the Mig-29 thread, has anybody needed to bypass the Blue Box on the F-18?
                                        Needed or not, I bypass it for everything except gear, lights and wing-ribbon dependent stuff.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	6B950902-7015-4BCD-9701-227742CF65C8.jpeg
Views:	629
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	307045Thanks chaps, anybody know what the funk these are for:

Comment

Working...
                                          X