You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To use a 80mm EDF unit.

    Comment


    • Evan D Oh great thanks, for one horrible minute I thought I’d done the reassembly with mystery extra parts routine 😂🤣

      Comment


      • Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
        Evan D Oh great thanks, for one horrible minute I thought I’d done the reassembly with mystery extra parts routine 😂🤣
        LOL you're not alone. I too have wondered if I missed something.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Con Papaioannou View Post

          Hi Hugh

          Like the Red F18 A Sweet

          I have also added a twin center burners on my Blue angel FA-18 Looks sweet! Also modded the canopy to put all wiring under the ply board and pushed all the way back so i can push my 8s 5000 mah Nanotec all the way back to get the correct cg.I Also installed a JP 90mm 1330kv 90mm full alloy edf 8s.

          Also with a 3D mod for the Elevator support Similar to RC Informers ply and metal one. Click image for larger version

Name:	F18 elev 3d mod.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	307041

          I have not maiden her yet will do it soon








          Click image for larger version Name:	1617450410070.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	307014
          Click image for larger version Name:	1617450410055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	307015Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20210320-WA0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	307010Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20210321-WA0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	307013Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20210321-WA0002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	307012
          Oh Man, you've now got one badass Hornet! Can't wait to hear how it flies on the 8S JP!!! You've done some great mods! I've been flying mine lately balanced at 102 mm from the book 88 mm point and while flying great, is still a bit nose heavy for me as it will go into high alpha, but could be better. This weekend I'm striving to achieve a point closer to 110 mm while still using a 6000 mah battery (already have the battery as far aft as possible and circuit boards removed) so I'll have to get a little more creative (weight in the rear in some fashion or another). Thanks to our resident fearless and exceptional test pilot Airguardian, I've got a goal to strive for and his advice on the CG is a bull's eye. I may never be able to duplicate his flying, but I can at least try to duplicate his set-up! So I definitely 2nd his assertion that this jet flies so much better balanced further back!
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: A-10 Arctic Thunder, 90mm F18 Canadian Demo, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom, F4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

          Comment


          • Click image for larger version

Name:	EMOJI.png
Views:	129
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	307123

            Comment


            • Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	6B950902-7015-4BCD-9701-227742CF65C8.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	307045Thanks chaps, anybody know what the funk these are for:
              Hi Mate

              They are for the 80mm edf conversion if you use it as you also received a spare edf hatch that is for the 80mm edf.

              Cheers

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Con Papaioannou View Post

                Hi Mate

                They are for the 80mm edf conversion if you use it as you also received a spare edf hatch that is for the 80mm edf.

                Cheers
                Why would anyone want to downgrade to an 80 mm EDF in this bird? I never got those in mine (nor did I get a spare hatch), and it was the same base grey version that The43rdHammer also purchased. I went the other way and just upgraded to the 90mm 12 blade inrunner, definitely more thrust than the old outrunner mine originally came with and even more than the newer upgraded "high performance" version with a 90mm 9 blade inrunner. I'd definitely need a catapult to get off our grass if it had an 80 mm in it!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: A-10 Arctic Thunder, 90mm F18 Canadian Demo, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom, F4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

                  Why would anyone want to downgrade to an 80 mm EDF in this bird? I never got those in mine (nor did I get a spare hatch), and it was the same base grey version that The43rdHammer also purchased. I went the other way and just upgraded to the 90mm 12 blade inrunner, definitely more thrust than the old outrunner mine originally came with and even more than the newer upgraded "high performance" version with a 90mm 9 blade inrunner. I'd definitely need a catapult to get off our grass if it had an 80 mm in it!


                  Yeh i wondered as well why any won would put in a 80mm edf,As you can see i got the 80mm hatch with the blue angel version unless they did not supply in the grey version Who knows?


                  Thanks





                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1617528597892.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	307224Click image for larger version

Name:	1617528597879.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	307225

                  Cheers

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

                    Oh Man, you've now got one badass Hornet! Can't wait to hear how it flies on the 8S JP!!! You've done some great mods! I've been flying mine lately balanced at 102 mm from the book 88 mm point and while flying great, is still a bit nose heavy for me as it will go into high alpha, but could be better. This weekend I'm striving to achieve a point closer to 110 mm while still using a 6000 mah battery (already have the battery as far aft as possible and circuit boards removed) so I'll have to get a little more creative (weight in the rear in some fashion or another). Thanks to our resident fearless and exceptional test pilot Airguardian, I've got a goal to strive for and his advice on the CG is a bull's eye. I may never be able to duplicate his flying, but I can at least try to duplicate his set-up! So I definitely 2nd his assertion that this jet flies so much better balanced further back!
                    Hi Hugh

                    Thanks for your comments.

                    so you think the stock book cg is not the best to start you recommend 102 or 110mm.

                    For maiden on 8s what do you recommend.

                    Cheers

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Polyphren View Post

                      Being out on the field might take a while. It´ s all white and temperature is far from comfortable.
                      Nevertheless, the outside of my F/A-18 is finished.

                      A black cockpit would be nice, but I don‘t want to damage it. Perhaps I‘ll buy a spare part for this experiment.

                      Click image for larger version Name:	7565293F-C754-404B-BD87-344224435AFE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	294897
                      Hi There

                      Wow thats different nice bet it took you ages to do that scheme.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post
                        Aros Thanks for the challenge to take on this livery! It was a fun project. Thanks to Callie for having the patience to make this custom design. I'll have to now work on my piloting skills before get it in the air!

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	290718

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	290714
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	290710
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	290713
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	290711
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	290712
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	43692803145_2bb8f3cbcd_o.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	290716
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	43554109831_d3d0e09fca_o.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	290715
                        Nice Job Looks Awesome

                        Comment


                        • ....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

                            Why would anyone want to downgrade to an 80 mm EDF in this bird?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                              OK, I'm extracting my foot from my mouth yet again! I guess it would be fine on a stock bird with keeping it as light in weight as possible and taking off of an asphalt runway. I suspect that my hypothesis was based upon my circumstances of flying off of grass and that I had added a lot of weight in mods resulting in an extra pound (no joke) of weight over the stock F-18.

                              A member at our club had, or still does but he doesn't fly it anymore, the HH E-Flight 80mm F-18 "Bats" and could not get it to take-off of our grass runway unless we had a 10-15 mph headwind, full flaps and the runway had just been "rolled". I witnessed on many occasions him starting at one end, and rolling almost to the end (1000 feet) of our main runway without ever getting airborne. After several days/weeks of this, he was so frustrated with it that he eventually upgraded the fan to some 80mm FMS fan that was supposed to be the "most powerful' 80mm FMS had. He was able to get it in the air, but it still took at least half the runway and in the air it was certainly less than impressive. I haven't seen him bring it back out in almost a year, so I'll ask him what he did with it. I was a nice looking F-18, just didn't seem like it was enjoyable to fly at all.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: A-10 Arctic Thunder, 90mm F18 Canadian Demo, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom, F4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Con Papaioannou View Post

                                Hi Hugh

                                Thanks for your comments.

                                so you think the stock book cg is not the best to start you recommend 102 or 110mm.

                                For maiden on 8s what do you recommend.

                                Cheers
                                As you know, mine is a 6S but the flight characteristics (relating to balance) should be the same on 8S. I would also suspect that the "power/thrust" characteristics of the 6S 12 blade 4068-1835Kv inrunner I'm using would be similar to the 8S 12 blade 4075-1390Kv inrunner I suspect is in yours but would give you more flight time, but I literally know next to nothing about different fans and their comparisons.

                                That said, I completely agree with the balance points that Airguardian has laid out for us. I initially flew mine last year balanced at 92mm. It flew very stable and well, but I did feel it was very, very nose heavy but could still get it's nose up on landing. It was especially noticeable when trying to go high alpha in flight and when inverted, having to put a considerable amount of up trim to fly level. Those flights were done with the original 9 blade 1750Kv outrunner and eventually ended balanced at 95mm as that was the furthest aft I could get.

                                Then this year after upgrading to the 12 blade inrunner and asking for and getting AG's balance set-ups after seeing his tremendous flight videos, I was able to get the CG back to 100mm. This is the balance point I recently flew it at in the video from a couple of days ago. That CG is a decent point to maiden, still a bit nose heavy, but not excessive, and it should be quite stable in the air and will land easily with the nose up. It will high alpha in flight OK, but not great.

                                Spent some time yesterday "reworking" things and now am able to get a balance point of anywhere from 102mm with battery as far forward as the 3D cockpit will allow (that mod has the cockpit well go deep into the battery bay area blocking the ability to move the battery too far forward-something you don't really need anyway because the cockpit added 180g of nose weight) to 115mm with the battery shoved under the foam (circuit board moved as well). So next flight will be around 107mm and I'll move it back on each subsequent flight until "something bad happens"

                                To sum it up, maiden at 102mm and move back each flight as you get comfortable. If you have a gyro, the further back you balance, the more "work" that gyro will have to do. If you don't have a gyro, I'm not sure you'll want to go much further back then 110mm.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: A-10 Arctic Thunder, 90mm F18 Canadian Demo, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom, F4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                                Comment


                                • Caution getting further aft of 115mm.

                                  It's still flyable with a gyro, but the plane starts skidding sideways pretty badly.
                                  The vertical stabs are kinda small.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

                                    As you know, mine is a 6S but the flight characteristics (relating to balance) should be the same on 8S. I would also suspect that the "power/thrust" characteristics of the 6S 12 blade 4068-1835Kv inrunner I'm using would be similar to the 8S 12 blade 4075-1390Kv inrunner I suspect is in yours but would give you more flight time, but I literally know next to nothing about different fans and their comparisons.

                                    That said, I completely agree with the balance points that Airguardian has laid out for us. I initially flew mine last year balanced at 92mm. It flew very stable and well, but I did feel it was very, very nose heavy but could still get it's nose up on landing. It was especially noticeable when trying to go high alpha in flight and when inverted, having to put a considerable amount of up trim to fly level. Those flights were done with the original 9 blade 1750Kv outrunner and eventually ended balanced at 95mm as that was the furthest aft I could get.

                                    Then this year after upgrading to the 12 blade inrunner and asking for and getting AG's balance set-ups after seeing his tremendous flight videos, I was able to get the CG back to 100mm. This is the balance point I recently flew it at in the video from a couple of days ago. That CG is a decent point to maiden, still a bit nose heavy, but not excessive, and it should be quite stable in the air and will land easily with the nose up. It will high alpha in flight OK, but not great.

                                    Spent some time yesterday "reworking" things and now am able to get a balance point of anywhere from 102mm with battery as far forward as the 3D cockpit will allow (that mod has the cockpit well go deep into the battery bay area blocking the ability to move the battery too far forward-something you don't really need anyway because the cockpit added 180g of nose weight) to 115mm with the battery shoved under the foam (circuit board moved as well). So next flight will be around 107mm and I'll move it back on each subsequent flight until "something bad happens"

                                    To sum it up, maiden at 102mm and move back each flight as you get comfortable. If you have a gyro, the further back you balance, the more "work" that gyro will have to do. If you don't have a gyro, I'm not sure you'll want to go much further back then 110mm.
                                    Legend

                                    Thanks Hugh Will start at 100mm even though I ended up balancing it with the 8s lipo at 88mm all the way back i think i need to put the control pcb under the ply battery plate to get a bit more space to move the 8s battery back to obtain cg at 100mm.

                                    Thanks guys.

                                    Cheers

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Con Papaioannou View Post

                                      Legend

                                      Thanks Hugh Will start at 100mm even though I ended up balancing it with the 8s lipo at 88mm all the way back i think i need to put the control pcb under the ply battery plate to get a bit more space to move the 8s battery back to obtain cg at 100mm.

                                      Thanks guys.

                                      Cheers
                                      Had to do the same with my control board, actually stuck it to the fuselage wall so I could get a battery further back. With the 12 blade and the battery all the way back, I was at 100mm, and still flew nose heavy, at least in my opinion. Added an additional 4.5 ounces to the rear so I can now get to 115mm max, or minimum of 102mm using a RT 5500 70C or an HRB 6000 50-100C. Hopefully get it out again this week to see how it flies there.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: A-10 Arctic Thunder, 90mm F18 Canadian Demo, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom, F4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                                      Comment


                                      • Hugh Wiedman

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                                          Very Cool Stuff, wish mine was the same size and I could fly it half as good, but I'll have to settle for what I can get. Thanks The43rdHammer, love to see these videos of the real thing. Have you been able to get out at all? Seem to remember you and paulrkytek mentioned your area was opening up soon. I also seem to remember that you have your F-18 on an 8S set-up, correct (or maybe it was your F-4). I'd love to hear how it flies.

                                          Anyway, got out again today with the F-18 and a few others. It was a bit windy and gusty, 16-23 mph, but at least right down the runway. Had the field pretty much to myself, never more than 2-3 guys there at any one time. Got in 5 flights on the F-18. I'm loving the 12 blade inrunner. I was planning on moving the CG back to 110-114mm as Air G had recommended, but with it so windy, for now left it at 105mm. Hopefully next week it will calm down as I won't get to fly for a while because our club is hosting an IMAC event Thursday thru Sunday.

                                          I'm thinking of getting another F-18, leaving it stock but putting the 12 blade inrunner in and flying the snot out of it. Each time I take up the Canadian, I'm seriously tempting fate as sooner or later I always manage to pull some bone head "mishap". And just learned that starting May 15th, MRC is increasing the price on ALL their planes by 10% to cover increased shipping and other costs. My luck they'll get the Mig back in stock on May 16th!

                                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20210407_104611.jpg Views:	0 Size:	298.6 KB ID:	307821
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: A-10 Arctic Thunder, 90mm F18 Canadian Demo, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom, F4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90, Red 80mm Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X