X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

The FMS and FW are essentially identical in terms of output in my testing. Within ~3-4%, with the thrust, price, weight, speed and efficiency nod(s) going to FMS. That being said it does take a bit of carving to make the FMS fit, whereas the FW is a drop in replacement.

If you don't mind the extra 30 min. of work the 1850kv 6S FMS unit would be my pick, but at the same price (and they're typically much closer in price between one another if sourced from China direct), it's essentially close enough to be a non-factor and I'd defy anyone to identify the fan that was in the plane by how it flew alone.

As it stands, assuming that is the pricing you have, the less expensive FMS unit seems like a no-brainer to me. I hate carving foam, but the pricing delta is significant enough that I'd take the plunge as $158 stings just that much more to me.

I have no experience with Taft, but good experience with FMS and FW, so I'd pick one of those two.
    Good responses and pretty much what I came up with on choices. I currently have the FW 90mm 12 Blade In-runner in the F-16 Thunderbird (was in my F-15 till I went 8S on her) and loved the performance in the F-15. Currently have a FMS 90mm 8S in the F-15 and also really impressed with the FMS power so I went with the FMS 6S 90mm 12 Blade for the Blue F-18. Seems I am always bouncing power plants around my birds. I know both are really good but the cost savings and weight reduction of the FMS made the choice pretty easy. Carving out some foam is expected since I did the same thing to the F-15 to get the FMS 8S system to fit in her.

Comment

• Hi guys,
      I had a hard landing last fall and jammed the left main gear and it stopped working. I ordered a new gear and I am trying to get it installed. I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get the wiring ran. I can’t even see where to unplug the one that is in the plane. Any tips on gear replacement on this would be appreciated.

Comment

• Never mind I figured it out

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
          Never mind I figured it out
          Not easy. I pulled everything out when I began my build. Can you imagine adding 3 sets of lights on each side and then running the wiring back through those same openings? It was not a pleasant task my friend. I feel your pain, Brother. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Yesterday we put down a Geotech runway at our field. I took my Avanti with me to try out the runway when we finished. It made a huge difference in the take-off run. We only installed 150’ but I thing that will be fine for all my jets. Can’t wait to try them all out.

Comment

• Does anyone know if the hard point for the Blue Angel 90mm wing tip are available separately?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber45acp View Post
                Does anyone know if the hard point for the Blue Angel 90mm wing tip are available separately?
                Welcome to Hobby Squawk Cyber45acp, unfortunately, they are not sold separately, but if you have access to a 3d printer, someone has made them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4309223

You can also download that file and pay a service to print them and mail them to you

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Cyber45acp, unfortunately, they are not sold separately, but if you have access to a 3d printer, someone has made them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4309223

You can also download that file and pay a service to print them and mail them to you
                  James thanks for the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

James, Cyber, thanks for the question & file! I can definitely use it. The F-18 is my first Freewing Aircraft and favorite to fly amongst some stiff comepetion (Twin 80mm A-10, 8S F-22, T-45C, +6 others).

James, I've got a question for you. I'm a retired naval aviator that's flown a number of aircraft including the T-45C, which I've personally landed on the USS Enterprise during carrier quals. I'm an Instructor Pilot with CSRA Flyers out of Augusta, GA where my buddy Steve Storer presented me with a T45 for my birthday. Love that guy! However, there's one aircraft I've been patiently awaiting for you guys to develop. The one I flew for the Corps while in VMA-231... the AV-8B Harrier.

As the Motion RC Guru, could you add some boundaries to my hopes and expectations and give me a yay, or nay on whether the AV-8B is an aircraft that Motion/Freewing would ever offer?

I have personally conversed with Joel Vlashof who said his goal is to get the AV8 and STOL version of the F35 into production (https://www.youtube.com/c/JoelMelanieVlashof/videos). Maybe you all could team up and expedite development. Your thoughts, Sir?

Thanks for your time,
                    Doug

Comment

• Little help MRC....

Looking at this bird, but have my own power setup so looking at the ARF Plus. Has the ARF Plus received the upgraded elevator setup same as the PNP HS?
                      Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

• Originally posted by tdford6 View Post
                        Little help MRC....

Looking at this bird, but have my own power setup so looking at the ARF Plus. Has the ARF Plus received the upgraded elevator setup same as the PNP HS?
                        Yes, an ARF+ is just a PNP without the power system, they come off the same assembly line only the ARF+ skips that step

Comment

• James... I'm trying to specifically find out if the ARF+ blue angels got the updated elevator setup?

I know what a ARF+ is.

Comment

James... I'm trying to specifically find out if the ARF+ blue angels got the updated elevator setup?

I know what a ARF+ is.
                            Yes, of course. All variations of the model have the updated setup. This was taken care for the second-ever batch of them way back in 2018.

Comment

Little help MRC....

Hi TD. Hope all is well. It appears there are a few ways to tell if you have the updated horizontal stabilator mounts. On the new one, there is a small rectangular shaped piece on the top of the fuse near the mounting area, as well as a hole with a screw in it near the pivot assembly.

Here are screen shots I took and placed text onto them from the video made by IntegrityRC on YouTube who did the great comparison of the older and updated version of the Freewing F/A-18C horizontal stabilator mount change. I have also linked his video below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CAE032B-64ED-45F0-BF75-39462CF98C82.jpeg
Views:	506
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	310851
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	8746DACA-683A-40AA-9961-095310E74D7D.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	310852

Comment

• Thanks guys!!! 👍

I chatted on MRC earlier but the tech couldn't answer the question. Maybe update the website to note the change. I could only find it on the PNP HS.

Comment

Thanks guys!!! 👍

I chatted on MRC earlier but the tech couldn't answer the question. Maybe update the website to note the change. I could only find it on the PNP HS.
                                  It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have the upgraded elevator mounts - they use the same parts from the same molds, and use the same assembly line steps except for motor and ESC installation.

IMO this is overthinking things, especially as the revision has been out for quite some time.

Comment

• Hi guys, just purchased the F18 and attempting to finish the build and setup. I have a few questions...

1. For the servo linkages, the manual is unclear about which to use. I used the shortest ones on the elevator like I saw in the build videos, even though the manual says 80mm. Which ones do I use for the rest of the control surfaces? Longer ones for ailerons or flaps ?

2. Where do you hook the UBEC into the receiver? I’ve heard to use the bind port, is this correct?

3. The stickers with the #’s are impossible to get off of the paper. What am I missing ?

thanks

Comment

• Welcome.

Sometimes they just aren't right and you need to select the best for the spot. Make sure if its short you have enough threads into the ball link. If too long you may have to snip them shorter. I have built a lot of FW planes and have a good selection of various size spares.

Any open spot on the receiver, the bind port is a good spot.

They are water slides not peel and stick.

Comment

• Thanks very much. Now my next issue ...

i have a admiral 10 ch receiver with everything plugged in except the ubec. The bind plug is in the bind port but when I give it power I am not getting the binding lights. I am hearing the beeping but it seems as if bind plug isn’t working. I am using a dx8e . Any ideas ?

Comment

• The UBEC powers the receiver and has to be plugged in. You are hearing the ESC which gets its power from the main battery directly. Since you are not using all the servo slots just plug the BEC in one of those.

When I do a build I often put an extension on the bind port so I can rebind when I stash the receiver in the back and it's hard to get to. On plane with BECs in the bind slot I'll make that a Y so the BEC is plugged in and I can also plug in the bind plug.

Comment

Working...
                                          X