You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One thing to try/test to reduce the chance of the flap deployment issue occurring is to move the L-bend of the control rod to an inner hole on the servo arm (closer to the arm center screw) of the servo to achieve better torque from the servo. This will be at the expense of servo throw, but if you can achieve enough servo throw for the flap positions you want by using an inner hole on the servo arm, then an outer isn’t necessary or beneficial if you’re wanting to prioritize torque. It’s been a while since I’ve owned the Freewing F/A-18C, so I can’t remember which servo arm hole I used on the flaps for the linkage. However, then again, the flap issue could simply be from the stock servo not being strong enough for the job. It’s still worth a try .

    It’s likely been discussed, but I haven’t kept up on this thread at all. If so, my apologies. I remember a discussion long ago about keeping the flap deployment speed in the radio to a reasonable amount because if too slow it could cause issues. I always had mine on 2 seconds or less and didn’t have an issue, thankfully.
    Instagram: @tcat.rc.creations

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Aros View Post
      Wow this flap issue is a real thing. I've had it happen on several of these models. Very intermittent. Looks like I should swap out the flap servos as well. Glad you were able to bring her down in one piece Hugh Wiedman!
      To be perfectly honest (a rarity for me) after going to landing flaps, it went violently out of control, spun towards the ground, and was able to get it nose up just before it went into the 10 foot high Everglades saw cane. The gear was already down since I was trimming it for landing configuration, so it doesn't seem that there was too much current draw. I then chopped and stumbled my way through the bush and was lucky to find it, completely unscathed (the jet, not me)! Truly a miracle that it ended up just above the bush, nose up with very little momentum.

      T-CAT, I'd had an issue on an earlier flight where it seemed one flap wasn't working, so I had already changed the delay from 4 seconds to 2 seconds. Still happened and this time it happened so quickly it was hard for my molasses brain to react fast enough. Since bringing it back, I've tested both servos (with the GT Servo Tester) and they test out fine and seem to have plenty of torque, as I'm only using the middle control horn hole. I was going to swap out the servos, but not sure that will help, and since these servos are on ribbon cables, I can't really bypass the BB without running separate servo wires bypassing the ribbon cables.

      Not sure where I'm going next with this. I could go to a 0 second delay, but really hate to have instantaneous flap deployment. That worked on my Avanti and both my B-24's that had the same issue (but those don't react as quickly as the F-18), but with those, one of the flaps (different one each time) would not return to 0 after deflection, but only noticed it after landing and putting the flaps up, so no issues in flight (unless I would have retracted them). I wonder if I should swap out the BB, although it worked fine for the first 30 or more flights even with a 4 second delay.

      Need to get this worked out, especially since I'm working on a 2nd Hornet. The last thing I need are 2 uncontrollable beasts (already have those with my kids).

      Dazed and Confused in Miami
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

        To be perfectly honest (a rarity for me) after going to landing flaps, it went violently out of control, spun towards the ground, and was able to get it nose up just before it went into the 10 foot high Everglades saw cane. The gear was already down since I was trimming it for landing configuration, so it doesn't seem that there was too much current draw. I then chopped and stumbled my way through the bush and was lucky to find it, completely unscathed (the jet, not me)! Truly a miracle that it ended up just above the bush, nose up with very little momentum.

        T-CAT, I'd had an issue on an earlier flight where it seemed one flap wasn't working, so I had already changed the delay from 4 seconds to 2 seconds. Still happened and this time it happened so quickly it was hard for my molasses brain to react fast enough. Since bringing it back, I've tested both servos (with the GT Servo Tester) and they test out fine and seem to have plenty of torque, as I'm only using the middle control horn hole. I was going to swap out the servos, but not sure that will help, and since these servos are on ribbon cables, I can't really bypass the BB without running separate servo wires bypassing the ribbon cables.

        Not sure where I'm going next with this. I could go to a 0 second delay, but really hate to have instantaneous flap deployment. That worked on my Avanti and both my B-24's that had the same issue (but those don't react as quickly as the F-18), but with those, one of the flaps (different one each time) would not return to 0 after deflection, but only noticed it after landing and putting the flaps up, so no issues in flight (unless I would have retracted them). I wonder if I should swap out the BB, although it worked fine for the first 30 or more flights even with a 4 second delay.

        Need to get this worked out, especially since I'm working on a 2nd Hornet. The last thing I need are 2 uncontrollable beasts (already have those with my kids).

        Dazed and Confused in Miami
        Ugh, yeah that’s always difficult experiencing and diagnosing electronic issues like that. Hopefully you find a solution and have predictable flap action on future flights. I’m happy to hear that your jet is in great shape after that last flight!
        Instagram: @tcat.rc.creations

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
          Got out flying today and put the Mig and 2nd Hornet painting on hold. The F-18 Canadian had been flying great with about 30 flights on it with the new 12 blade inrunner, but all of a sudden it developed the dreaded flap issue others have posted. This is the 2nd time out in a row that the left flap (I think), won't go down in flight, yet on the ground and even under pressure it works fine! Reduced the delay to 2 seconds and to 0, yet in flight it's dead! Man, it sure flies squirrely with only one flap in the landing position (drastic roll left-so assume it's the left flap not going down). Virtually uncontrollable until it gets raised. Next plan is to bypass the BB completely. I'd change the servo, but even under heavy pressure on the bench, it works fine, but if bypassing the BB doesn't solve it, guess I'll try a new servo!

          Click image for larger version  Name:	20210528_111322.jpg Views:	27 Size:	294.2 KB ID:	314348
          I had no flap delay on my two F-18 and they both still did it, almost lost them both from the same issue, it's just crazy, also had one where the rudders would go left when I retracted the gear, that was fun on the maiden, I hated the way that jet flew anyway, never could get them locked in to what I liked. sold both of mine, problem solved...............

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

            I had no flap delay on my two F-18 and they both still did it, almost lost them both from the same issue, it's just crazy, also had one where the rudders would go left when I retracted the gear, that was fun on the maiden, I hated the way that jet flew anyway, never could get them locked in to what I liked. sold both of mine, problem solved...............
            Then I've decided to loose the wing ribbon cables and wing connector panel, and just wire the ailerons and flaps directly to the receiver with a y-connector (the only thing coming off the wings), completely bypassing the BB. Not as convenient or "clean" when assembling/disassembling the jet at the field, but hopefully a "safer" solution. Might as well do the same for the elevators and then only the gear and lights go through the blue box. I suspect there is a drop in voltage somewhere going through the BB (maybe with too long wires) or even a cold solder joint. I'm certainly no electrical engineer, but there's something funky going on there. I've never had an issue with flaps, even delayed up to 4 seconds, on a plane that the flaps are wired directly into the receiver.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

              Then I've decided to loose the wing ribbon cables and wing connector panel, and just wire the ailerons and flaps directly to the receiver with a y-connector (the only thing coming off the wings), completely bypassing the BB. Not as convenient or "clean" when assembling/disassembling the jet at the field, but hopefully a "safer" solution. Might as well do the same for the elevators and then only the gear and lights go through the blue box. I suspect there is a drop in voltage somewhere going through the BB (maybe with too long wires) or even a cold solder joint. I'm certainly no electrical engineer, but there's something funky going on there. I've never had an issue with flaps, even delayed up to 4 seconds, on a plane that the flaps are wired directly into the receiver.
              Hugh, a very logical approach. I did similarly, though I am not entirely finished with mine yet. Glad to know others are ditching the BB on this airframe. Best, LB
              Captain: Got any ideas?
              F/O: Actually not.
              — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

              Comment


              • I haven't had flap problems myself either but it's clear many have for whatever reason.
                To pinpoint the exact cause may be nightmarish at best ( :

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                  Not as convenient or "clean" when assembling/disassembling the jet at the field, but hopefully a "safer" solution.
                  Neat and expedient rarely ever go well together.

                  The happy medium is "manageable" :)

                  Comment


                  • Killer flights with the Hornet



                    Comment


                    • Airguardian awesome flight/video/music. When I grow up, I want to fly just like you do (uh oh, way to late for that to happen).
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                      Comment


                      • That looks almost too smooth to be playing back at normal video speed -- is it ?

                        Comment


                        • Making slow progress on the 2nd Hornet. Looks like I'm on the Elbee production time line (but definitely don't expect the same outcomes). But at least I saved about $120 by ordering them just before the 15th! Probably shouldn't have undertaken the repaint of the Mig at the same time but couldn't leave it in the box so I figured it was better to paint 2 at once and save some "paint barn" costs and time. Finished the Mig cockpit and just finished the Hornet cockpit. Now it's on to final masking and primer time for both.

                          I was going to do the full blown 3D cockpit as I did on the first, but got a little lazy, so ended up with a 2D unprinted "Rube Goldberg" version (probably most are too young for that reference). It's nowhere near as nice or accurate, in fact nothing on it is accurate, but the nice thing is it weighs only 1.2 ounces more than the stock plain cockpit. My 3D cockpit weighed 4.75 ounces more than the stock and it required some real creative work with the battery placement and the dreaded "lead in the tail". With the 12 blade inrunner and the AB's, that 1.2 ounces in the nose should be a non issue and allow me to place the battery wherever I want (at least I can hope it does).

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_181804.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	314676Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_181825.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	314677Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_181732.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	314678
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51, Apprentice.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                            Airguardian awesome flight/video/music. When I grow up, I want to fly just like you do (uh oh, way to late for that to happen).
                            Naaaah, never too late!
                            Just need to get over the pucker factor and practice a lot at a safety altitude first! :p

                            Originally posted by killickb View Post
                            That looks almost too smooth to be playing back at normal video speed -- is it ?
                            It's not, it's slowed down a bit.
                            I typically post both edited and raw clips... will post the other one later this week. ;)

                            Comment


                            • Airguardian always a treat to watch your spectacular flights, thank you! Hugh Wiedman that cockpit detail is SICK and I am officially not going to share my photos because my detailing is so minimalistic to what you and LB have done it's embarrassing. Fantastic attention to detail!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

                              Comment


                              • Thanks Aros!

                                As promised, there go the raw clips without music / slowmo for those that prefer to hear the jet ;)




                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                  Making slow progress on the 2nd Hornet. Looks like I'm on the Elbee production time line (but definitely don't expect the same outcomes). I was going to do the full blown 3D cockpit as I did on the first, but got a little lazy, so ended up with a 2D unprinted "Rube Goldberg" version (probably most are too young for that reference). It's nowhere near as nice or accurate, in fact nothing on it is accurate, but the nice thing is it weighs only 1.2 ounces more than the stock plain cockpit.
                                  Hugh, looks great my friend. Love the 2D reference. And I think I'm related to ol' Rube. Best, LB
                                  Captain: Got any ideas?
                                  F/O: Actually not.
                                  — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

                                  Comment


                                  • Hi guys,
                                    Did anybody try to Exchange the landing gear of the f-18 with the eflite 80mm f-18 because of the scale look?

                                    Best regards

                                    dario

                                    Comment


                                    • Totally different way of retraction. Plus the EF have no suspension. While they look good function is horrible.

                                      Comment


                                      • I changed the old stock outrunner for the new 1900kv inrunner, did you guys change the settings from the original ESC? Timing maybe? I haven't got the chance to fly yet...

                                        Thanks!

                                        Comment


                                        • My thoughts on 12b in runner set up: After picking Hughs brain, I went for it, the investment cost me $300 (Inrunner $150, 2 HRB 6000mah 50c Lipos $150). I originally had the old 90mm Tbird F16 Outrunner in my F18 ARF kit, which gave me plenty of power but extremely low flight times 3:30, along with heavy battery drain. I had to purchase 2 new packs because both of my 6000mah packs had high internal resisitance, and on the bench they didn't test well. I fly foamy's because I do not want to spend all my hard earned cash all on the hobby. So this was a huge deal for me and I had to pull the trigger, So after the upgrade I saw better battery performance and the most importantly flight time (4:00 min). As far as thrust, I wasn't too impressed but that's because my former outrunner was a beast, so I felt just a tad better thrust. Biggest difference was less full throttle use, the F18 flew excellent on 3/4 throttle for high speed passes, or vertical climbs.

                                          Hugh Wiedman I wanna thank you for your extensive knowledge and help. I'm happy and feel that although the set up is a bit too expensive, it certainly performs as you would expect. I still need a few more flights to see if I can extend the flight times to 5mins. After 4mins I'm coming back at 42% left. With a bit more throttle management, I can be confident to try.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X