Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some guidance on ESC settings for my jets. All my jets have Freewing 130amp or 150amp ESC's. I also use on all my jets the Freewing 90mm 12 Blade 1835kv EDF. (Hughs favorite EDF)
    I just got the Hobbywing ESC Program card to set-up my ESC's. Listening to the beeps drove me crazy and if you miss one step your screwed..... So the question is what do you guys set for your jet esc's ?
    Brake I know is OFF, Lipo Batt , Soft Cut on EDF, Voltage Cut Off-Low, Start mode-Normal, Timing is the big question? Most things I see is all EDF's get set to Low on timing.....
    So I'm throwing it out there to see what you guys set for your jets.... Thx

Comment

• I never mess with settings…

Comment

• Just calibrate and full send!

Comment

• But honestly you need to review the manual or contact the manufacturer to get the preferred ESC timing for your motor. Then set your ESC accordingly. There's no "one size fits all" answer to this. I think all of my Freewing motors are set to medium, but it's never been a concern, because I'm using Freewing ESC with them all. As for my Eflite 90mm Viper, it has the timing set to high out of the box, but issues with the motor have quite a few adjusting their timing to low, or medium.

Comment

• Even if I swap out NFCU with another brand I just bind, calibrate and fly.

Comment

• I recently acquired this model from a friend, it was new and still in the box.

I have been having some trouble with the control horns for the elevator/stabilator. I cracked one of them installing the control rod, and noticed the second one had a nick in the end. I applied a little bit of pressure, and it cracked completley.

I order replacements from motionrc, which unfortunately only come in a complete kit. With shipping, it is almost $30.

Both sides went on fine, and I am very careful when screwing in to plastic to not over tighten. They were not damaged when I installed them.

When cycling the controls, I noticed one of the horns was wobbling, so I took it apart. I found the entire horn had shattered on the bottom, where it screws into the control rod.

Does anyone know a 3rd parts solution, maybe out of aluminum to replace the freewing control horns for the elevator?

I have sent an e-mail to motionrc to see if I can just get the control horns. I have a hard time justifying another $30 to get one. If not, I may try and engineer and 3d print one, but I would be a little bit nervous about that.

Sorry for the blurry pic. There were several other smaller pieces too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2991.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	329609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	329610

Comment

• Now that's weird!

Comment

• The second one ended up failing as well in the same fashion. I heard back from MotionRC and they only sell them with the entire assembly, and do not know of any other similar horns that are available.

I modeled and 3D printed it in PETG and it seems to be working well. We will see if I am brave enough to maiden it tomorrow.

Comment

• Slice, you would be wise to not fly it tomorrow or at any time with 3d printed horns. I'm looking out for you here. Horns are not just any kind of plastic and certainly not splinter prone 3d printed. This is your elevator we're talking about. That horn is the most important piece of the puzzle. I, for one, would never risk a high dollar aircraft on that. In fact, I am going to check my stock Freewing horns just because of your incident. Thanks for posting your problem and helping others.
                    Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• ​
                      Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                      Slice, you would be wise to not fly it tomorrow or at any time with 3d printed horns. I'm looking out for you here. Horns are not just any kind of plastic and certainly not splinter prone 3d printed. This is your elevator we're talking about. That horn is the most important piece of the puzzle. I, for one, would never risk a high dollar aircraft on that. In fact, I am going to check my stock Freewing horns just because of your incident. Thanks for posting your problem and helping others.
                      I did beef them up a bit from the stock ones, and used all the tricks I know to make them stronger. I've done some destructive testing on them, and they are stronger than the stock ones I have, but I really think I may have received a bad batch.

They are printed with PETG, which fails more like ABS than PLA does. PLA will shatter and crack. PETG bends, warps, and stretches when it fails. At this point, I don't know if I would trust getting another set from Freewing either.

I would bet $100 they would work fine, but I don't like the idea of flying with them. I really wish I could find some aluminum ones. I may submit the design to get a quote to have a couple milled.

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	329649Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2993.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	329650

Comment

• I woke up early and started thinking of a better solution for the stabilator horn. What I did turned out well. It is a lot more solid than the stock one. The winds picked up, so I didn't get a chance to fly it today.

What I did was utilize a 3mm x 20mm socket head bolt in place of the screw. The bolt carries all the way through the rod and into the other side of the control horn. Because of the way the part is stressed, it was printed horizontal on the bed, which makes for a tricky overhang with support material with PETG.

I have very high confidence in the part. It is quite solid.

Name:	f18 stab horn.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	329744

Comment

• Time for more Hornet action ( :

Comment

• Airguardian outstanding flights and great videography as usual. Looked like you were also battling a gusty crosswind, kudos for handling it so well. I can see how far back your CG is from the way it flies and I seem to remember you're around 115mm or more. I've tried both of mine at 110mm and it really bounces the nose up on our grass runway from the start during take-off as it hits every little bump, almost requiring me to use down elevator during the take-off run to keep it on the field until it reaches enough speed to safely get in the air. I love the way it flies with a further back CG but the take-offs are tricky, at least for me, so I've ended up keeping it around 105mm or less for now. I'll get there one day, but not tomorrow!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks Hugh!
                              I had reached >115mm but as I've kept making changes and repairs to the airframe, the CG has settled more at around 112mm.

100-105 is pretty good, I think 100-110 is about as much as anyone should go before leaving a gyro permanently on on this jet, at least for the yaw axis.

And yep, it was pretty windy that day... not super-crossed, but crossed enough to make landings challenging. Funny enough, in these sort of conditions, the MiG-29 and the F-18 are the jets that I trust the most for flying. Su-35 and Gripen were around for the event and didn't take them out... MiG flew all day long and the Hornet made these couple of flights.
                              The small vertical stabs, for all their drawbacks, make the plane less sensitive to crosswind and the gyros on the stabs/rudders keeps it more or less flyable even in these conditions.

The MiG-29, just takes it full on with the extra weight, size and inertia without even needing a gyro (although it sure would help!). :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Slice1969 View Post
                                ​

I did beef them up a bit from the stock ones, and used all the tricks I know to make them stronger. I've done some destructive testing on them, and they are stronger than the stock ones I have, but I really think I may have received a bad batch.

They are printed with PETG, which fails more like ABS than PLA does. PLA will shatter and crack. PETG bends, warps, and stretches when it fails. At this point, I don't know if I would trust getting another set from Freewing either.

I would bet $100 they would work fine, but I don't like the idea of flying with them. I really wish I could find some aluminum ones. I may submit the design to get a quote to have a couple milled.

Freewing does make a metal version of this part. It's used in the 90mm F-4 Phantom. Unfortunately, i think you have to buy the whole tail assembly for something like $35 just to get one of them...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gvasiloff View Post

Freewing does make a metal version of this part. It's used in the 90mm F-4 Phantom. Unfortunately, i think you have to buy the whole tail assembly for something like $35 just to get one of them...
                                  Good to know, thanks. I wish you could buy them individually.

Comment

• This? Not sure the shaft size is the same.

Freewing 90mm EDF F-4 Phantom II Elevator Plastic Part [FJ31211089] Motion RC

Originally posted by Slice1969 View Post

Good to know, thanks. I wish you could buy them individually.

Comment

• Hi everyone. I've just complete restoring the F/A 18 Blue Angels. The jet was not mine but i pick it up (trash) after the pilot crashed it and broke into pieces. Took it home and start to restore everything. Decided to apply the fibre glass and repainted it. I am now converting it to turbine. You may also check out the video on youtube https://youtu.be/L-c35Rzu4Vs

Name:	20211031_165817.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	330611
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Khairil View Post
                                        Hi everyone. I've just complete restoring the F/A 18 Blue Angels. The jet was not mine but i pick it up (trash) after the pilot crashed it and broke into pieces. Took it home and start to restore everything. Decided to apply the fibre glass and repainted it. I am now converting it to turbine. You may also check out the video on youtube https://youtu.be/L-c35Rzu4Vs

Name:	20211031_165817.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	330611
                                        Talk about going to the "Dark Side". A Blue Angel transformed into a Black Devil! I Like It!
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Talk about going to the "Dark Side". A Blue Angel transformed into a Black Devil! I Like It!
                                          It was called 'Project Scar Scream'. Ghost Squadron, Rise from Death 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Working...
                                          X