Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeremySean
    replied
    Got a question. I’m looking to replace the aileron, flap and horizontal stab servos, what’s a good brand that won’t break the bank?? Also if you could list the servo model for each control surface that would be awesome considering their names can be confusing. Thank you guys!

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    I just received in the mail an ARF+ F-18C airframe from MRC. My previous Hornet I had for about 2 years until I “pancaked” it after it bounced high on landing and tried to save the landing. I Should have gone around for another landing attempt, but didn’t. The fuselage was substantially damaged and eventually I decided to get a new airframe and part out my old plane for spares, as needed. All the “guts” went into the new plane and I’ll be ready for a new maiden when the snow clears out from this latest snowstorm we got today.

The previous F-18 I had I put close to 30 flights before I fumbled the last landing. I am using most of the original settings in my radio as I had this plane pretty well dialed in.

My question is, I did put some Up elevator trim for deploying flaps. I took the measurements off my wrecked airplane and transferred them to the new model. Thing is, I couldn’t find anywhere that indicated I needed to add Up elevator when you deploy flaps. I have no idea where that info came from, although it seemed necessary to keep the plane in trim while using flaps.

Does anyone know where these figures came from, as well as other proven flight surface throw settings that work well for this airplane? Mine that worked well were at some variance with what the manufacturer recommends. I don’t really want to change what I have unless I’m sure they are better than what I used to use on my old airplane.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Davegee

Leave a comment:

• DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post

Yeah it really is getting hard to choose what to take. But now after all this talk of the 18, I think she’ll be loaded next time I go. 😁

I did start working on the B1 again. New redesign 3D parts coming for her soon.

i need another van just for Sundays.

Gtavy
    I have to admit, I do like hauling the jets in my wife's family van and you may have to get another one if you keep buying more planes............

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Gravy you have way to many to choose from, your like what I used to be....

I'm glad you enjoy that F-18, your right though, I hated that thing, but I loved the old version way better as for flying but the new version looks much better....
    Yeah it really is getting hard to choose what to take. But now after all this talk of the 18, I think she’ll be loaded next time I go. 😁

I did start working on the B1 again. New redesign 3D parts coming for her soon.

i need another van just for Sundays.

Gtavy

Leave a comment:

• DCORSAIR
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
    My buddy and I must be two lucky SOB's. Both ours fly very well, great vertical good seed and lands very nice. I'm not discounting anyone's tales of woe as I have see it in a couple of other friends that had them and had the issues everyone talks about.

I'm glad I got lucky on mine because I love flying her.

It is getting harder to pick what to fly since I went from the mini van to my Jeep JLU. Lately Ive been on my F-15EX and F-22 kick. Last time out was my 22, A-10, 86 and AH-6. That filled up my back.

Gravy
    Gravy you have way to many to choose from, your like what I used to be....

I'm glad you enjoy that F-18, your right though, I hated that thing, but I loved the old version way better as for flying but the new version looks much better....

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    My buddy and I must be two lucky SOB's. Both ours fly very well, great vertical good seed and lands very nice. I'm not discounting anyone's tales of woe as I have see it in a couple of other friends that had them and had the issues everyone talks about.

I'm glad I got lucky on mine because I love flying her.

It is getting harder to pick what to fly since I went from the mini van to my Jeep JLU. Lately Ive been on my F-15EX and F-22 kick. Last time out was my 22, A-10, 86 and AH-6. That filled up my back.

Gravy

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Brinka View Post
    Not the most forgiving jet, but indeed rewarding when dialed in. I had to do a rebuild as I lost reception and she went crazy on a high speed pass then flipped over.

This very incident prompted me to buy a new Radiomaster TX16s and Lemon 7channel telemetry receiver with satellite, I had to become proficient in math and algebra to get her back up in the air. Smh.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0262.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.5 KB ID:	398163
    Nice to see you back and good luck with the Radiomaster! If anyone can handle the F18, you can, showed me how plenty of times. One thing I noticed on both of my F18's, the flap servos rarely had enough guts to consistently deploy correctly. Virtually every flight with both, one flap did not deploy when going to landing flaps, and it was never the same one. On the bench they always worked perfectly, but something about the aerodynamics when in flight caused a problem. This obviously caused some immediate rolls that were tough to correct. Spent months trying to correct the problem from bypassing the circuit board to adjusting the servo horn positions. None of that worked and it got to the point that I was reticent to deploy flaps in flight or even fly the aircrafts. Eventually got smart and replaced both flap servos on each with hitec servos and I have never had a problem since. I now really enjoy flying this one.

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    I salute anyone who has luck flying this model on a regular basis, as there are many in this thread alone. For me personally, I found this particular model to be the most finicky EDF jet I have ever flown and sadly had to give up having one in my hangar until a new version - hopefully less finicky and lighter wing loading - comes out. It's especially frustrating to me since the F/A-18 Blue Angel is my favorite jet.

If one would come out with the flight characteristics of the old Hobby Lobby/V1 one we used to carry I would be in heaven. That jet flew marvelously.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	398166

Leave a comment:

• Brinka
    replied
    Not the most forgiving jet, but indeed rewarding when dialed in. I had to do a rebuild as I lost reception and she went crazy on a high speed pass then flipped over.

This very incident prompted me to buy a new Radiomaster TX16s and Lemon 7channel telemetry receiver with satellite, I had to become proficient in math and algebra to get her back up in the air. Smh.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0262.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.5 KB ID:	398163

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Hugh Wiedman, great photos and beautiful liveries, Hugh. Keep 'em coming. Best, LB
    Thanks LB, although I need to spend more time now flying and less building or upgrading (where have I heard myself say that before) More time building equals less time crashing!

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Hugh Wiedman, great photos and beautiful liveries, Hugh. Keep 'em coming. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    No Really, got out last week and we got some great photos of the F4 8S Blue Angel, F16 8S Wild Weasel, one of My two 6S F18's the Canadian and a few others I put on a video below of just still photos.

The F18 starts around 2:45 into the video if you want to skip directly there. Here's a couple F18 photos to wet your appetite:

Click image for larger version  Name:	#2B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	397976 Click image for larger version  Name:	#6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	397977 Click image for larger version  Name:	#5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	397978

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep View Post
    Nice Video, but you should have the F4 Blue Angel, on 8S, it flies much better! Bang Zoom, to the Moon Alice!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	397972 Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	397973 Click image for larger version

Name:	#9.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	397974

Sorry, Couldn't Help Myself!

Leave a comment:

• InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Looking back

Leave a comment:

• InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    BomberPearce,

I am both humbled and happy at the same time.

This is not just an easy drop-in. I am very pleased that you used my design and amazed at your work.

It is stunning to say the least. Bravo Zulu, Sir.

Respectfully, LB
    Elbee thats fantastic work well done! I've designing alot of 3D plane parts but not a cockpit yet- I think I'll give it a go on Su27/30

Leave a comment:

• SanExup
    replied
    Your exterior weathering is ace as well. It really looks like an aged fighter! I bet it's pretty amazing in the air!

Leave a comment:

• BomberPearce
    replied
    Thanks Elbee Airguardian and Aros. Appreciate the comments.

Leave a comment:

• BomberPearce
    replied
    Thanks Wildman! I really appreciate your positive feedback. It took me loads of time, but I enjoyed every minute. Gave me a great opportunity to try a number of weathering techniques, plus try my hand at incorporating pico LED’s.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by BomberPearce View Post
    A big Thankyou to Elbee for generously sharing the STL files for the cockpit mod. It’s been a while but I completed the upgrade to my Hornet to celebrate RAAF 75 Sqn. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	395130
    Now that's what I'm talking about, exceptional work, what skills you got!!! If I didn't see the surrounding cockpit, I would have initially thought it was the real deal!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Looks fantastic, well done!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X