Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squawkers! Join us this Friday on our YouTube channel at 12pm EST for a LIVE Q&A with the new Freewing 90mm F/A-18C Hornet! We will do a walk around with the aircraft and answer any questions you might have about the next Freewing release! I will have my measuring tool available to get dimensions for everyone ;):Cool:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	YouTube Q&A.jpg
Views:	1949
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	186698

Comment

• Why would I want to put an 80mm fan in the hornet (no 6s)? Will it yield greater flight times than the 90mm fan version?

Bob DeGood

Comment

• Originally posted by rcpilot321 View Post
        Count me in, I buying one
        RCP321, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
          Chances are good that there will be several 3DPUP files available come the launch of this model.... :Cool:
          Aros, You now have my full and undivided attention. "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I lost my F-15 a couple weeks ago, I just posted on the F-15 forum. I was planning on getting a F-22 as a replacement, and then I got the e-mail on the F-18. No brainer for me, I'll wait this this jet is available via pre-order.

Anyway, it just so happens I have the air brake assembly out of my crashed F-15. So for you guys that want to add the air brake to your F-18, I'll gladly send mine to you. I probably have the talent to add the actuator, but not enough talent to make the brake itself. I would rather someone with a little more talent than me take a shot at it. Just send me a message with your address and I'll ship it to you. But please, ONLY if you are really planning on making this mod.

Comment

• Originally posted by fastforward View Post
              Why would I want to put an 80mm fan in the hornet (no 6s)? Will it yield greater flight times than the 90mm fan version?

Bob DeGood

Purely for options. In the Hornet we had the opportunity to develop a model as a 90mm 6s PNP (in our opinion the BEST balance of price/performance/weight/duration/etc), but along the way also endeavored to design the platform to be versatile. It turned out that the Hornet could fly with a wide range of power setups. Again, the vast majority of our customer family will prefer the 90mm 6s PNP, which is why that's the only PNP version we're releasing and that's the version we strongly recommend as your first option.

Meanwhile, we also recognize that there are a few pilots out there who enjoy tinkering with their models and who already have other power systems in their possession. So for them, a model with options has wider appeal. This is where the ARF PLUS version comes in handy, because a power system isn't pre-installed. If someone had a JetFan 80mm 8s power system, or a super efficient 90mm Wemo setup, or a custom 80mm 12s system, or whatever.... the ARF PLUS is cheaper to acquire, and with the shroud adapter we've made for the F-18 you're halfway there. I've flown this Hornet on our cheapest 80mm outrunner 6s power system, and while it's not exhilarating compared to the 90mm PNP, it is cheaper overall to operate and lighter, and so if I theoretically was someone who loved the Hornet and had the 80mm system already in my possession and wanted to save some money, the ARF PLUS is a good start and I'd know that at least Motion RC flew it.

The 90mm F-4 is a good example of a 90mm that wouldn't fly on the 80mm OR system. It turns out that the 90mm F-18 can.

When in doubt, 6s PNP.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Reserved for noodles.
                I just so happen to live about 10 min from NAS Pensacola, home of the blues. If you want to send me a plane I’ll take it over there and try to get pics of it next to the real jets lol.
                :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Purely for options. In the Hornet we had the opportunity to develop a model as a 90mm 6s PNP (in our opinion the BEST balance of price/performance/weight/duration/etc), but along the way also endeavored to design the platform to be versatile. It turned out that the Hornet could fly with a wide range of power setups. Again, the vast majority of our customer family will prefer the 90mm 6s PNP, which is why that's the only PNP version we're releasing and that's the version we strongly recommend as your first option.

Meanwhile, we also recognize that there are a few pilots out there who enjoy tinkering with their models and who already have other power systems in their possession. So for them, a model with options has wider appeal. This is where the ARF PLUS version comes in handy, because a power system isn't pre-installed. If someone had a JetFan 80mm 8s power system, or a super efficient 90mm Wemo setup, or a custom 80mm 12s system, or whatever.... the ARF PLUS is cheaper to acquire, and with the shroud adapter we've made for the F-18 you're halfway there. I've flown this Hornet on our cheapest 80mm outrunner 6s power system, and while it's not exhilarating compared to the 90mm PNP, it is cheaper overall to operate and lighter, and so if I theoretically was someone who loved the Hornet and had the 80mm system already in my possession and wanted to save some money, the ARF PLUS is a good start and I'd know that at least Motion RC flew it.

The 90mm F-4 is a good example of a 90mm that wouldn't fly on the 80mm OR system. It turns out that the 90mm F-18 can.

When in doubt, 6s PNP.

Nuff Said

6s PNP for me:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
                    I think the hornet looks great,

So with all my ramblings what do you think my best option will be?

PNP 6s
                    ARF+ 8S 90MM(From the king of super lawn vacs FW F16 90mm)
                    ARF+ 6s 80mm (inrunner 1820kv)

Thanks for reading and I will take the Blues scheme to show with my Fat Albert
                    Hi Johnybgd, my default recommendation will always be the stock 90mm 6s PNP, simply because it hits the needs of most pilots based on our experience and because it eliminates any guesswork or setup on the customer's side. It's also fully covered by warranty. If, however, you already those other two power systems in your possession and don't mind the time to install and setup, then I see the advantage of saving some money by buying the cheaper ARF PLUS and swapping between your two power systems to see which one you like best for your specific runway conditions.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I think I am going to do a VFA-192 Golden Dragon.....

Name:	VFA-192.JPG
Views:	1778
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	186738

Name:	HG7150001_241_O.jpg
Views:	1783
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	186739

Comment

• Cool!!! Like it Steve!!! Here is a pic I took when we did pyrotechnics at the air show in Houston..... Shows the flaps and ailerons doing their thing!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by James.MotionRC View Post
                          Here are some more upclose pics of the:
                          1. Battery Bay (disregard the rats nest, this was pre-production version and some of the leads they send were much longer than the final will be)
                          2. landing gear
                          3. flaps (nicely molded hinges and "open" from the top down view
                          4. low-vis rudder servo
                          5. the hidden elevator servo hatch behind the BUNO (just gets tacked on, my favorite minor detail)
                          Thank you James..... looks very nice

Cant wait for you to release the total build video and more information

All the best
                          Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

Thank you James..... looks very nice

Cant wait for you to release the total build video and more information

All the best
                            Rich
                            No problem, build video is coming soon, probably next week, but this Friday we will do a live Q & A on our YouTube channel at 12pm. Basically, it will be taken apart and put back together and I'll try my best to answer everyone's questions

Comment

• Grey for me too

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                I think I am going to do a VFA-192 Golden Dragon.....

Name:	VFA-192.JPG
Views:	1778
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	186738

Name:	HG7150001_241_O.jpg
Views:	1783
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	186739
                                Really like that one Steve!
                                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Maybe I missed this question, will the grey version come with decals or any options for different liveries in the pnp version or ARF kit? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

Love that and the red tails should make it stand out!
                                    Love The Red Devils F-18 CAG "Retro F-4 Scheme" circa 2012. That is what I will paint my grey version someday. The Devils are here at Miramar and l love seeing this CAG plane fly over! It no longer has the retro radome colors, but still looks great with the red tails. I want the BA scheme first, because it's awesome and I won't have to do any paint work! I will have to paint the intakes interior and gear struts the proper white though...Click image for larger version  Name:	vfma-232.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	186837

Comment

• Can't wait for a base grey version. Spent 5.5 years at VFA-15 for my first squadron right up until we Deactivated. I was one of the lucky few who got to help paint this bird prior to deactivation and lucky enough to see it fly in a few demos before transferring to a new squadron!

Comment

• Lucky enough for me, I sent the whole stencil vector to my email just before leaving so I have EVERY decal:) Just gotta scale em down!

Comment

• Originally posted by air-jon View Post

Love The Red Devils F-18 CAG "Retro F-4 Scheme" circa 2012. That is what I will paint my grey version someday. The Devils are here at Miramar and l love seeing this CAG plane fly over! It no longer has the retro radome colors, but still looks great with the red tails. I want the BA scheme first, because it's awesome and I won't have to do any paint work! I will have to paint the intakes interior and gear struts the proper white though...Click image for larger version Name:	vfma-232.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	186837
                                          Thank you, if I pick one of these up..I know which scheme I'm going with :)
                                          Planes
                                          -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                          -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Working...
                                          X