X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Agree with xviper , very sound advice. Carlbrainiac, surprised you're only getting 3 mins on the Admiral 6000 50C. I have the base grey F-18 as well that I redid in the Canadian demo scheme with the stock 9 blade outrunner (same as the stock F-4) and I'm getting 4:30-5:00 minutes with the Roaring Top 6250 35 C. I've also flown it with the Admiral 6000 (which is only 28g heavier than the RT) and gotten just slightly less, but not 3:00. My F-18, with all the extra paint/graphics/3D cockpit and twin afterburners weighs 1.2 pounds heavier than the stock base grey, so you should definitely get more time. Do you like to fly with full throttle mostly? I'm still doing high speed passes, Cuban 8's, Split S, high rolls, and some tight high G turns and for some reason, getting more time than you are, not sure why.

Regarding upgrading the fans, I'm considering doing the same, but maybe for a different reason. I hate the whine of a 9 blade. I may eventually upgrade to the fan xviper mentioned, the 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunner which costs $158. I upgraded my F-16 to that exact fan and it performs great, and the sound is sooo much better, more of a whoosh, and similar to a turbine, although not as loud. The other option he mentioned is the upgraded 9 blade 3672-1900 Kv inrunner that now comes standard in the Blue Angel F-18, but separately costs $90. I asked Alpha when that fan would be available back in February when I bought the base grey and they just introduced it to the BA version and he was good enough to let me know that it really wouldn't be available separately at Motion until mid summer, so I think it will be available soon if you don't want to get it at RC Castle.

Just keep in mind that the inrunners mentioned above really get optimum performance out of a higher C battery (which is also heavier). The Admiral 6000 50C has a true C (according to my IR meter and bench testing it on fans with a power meter) which is much lower than 50C (like most batteries). The RT 35C battery I use actually tests just slightly above the Admiral 50C, and in my F-16 and SU-30 that both have inrunners, using a RT 70C (or any other high C battery) results in the fan producing about 7-10% more thrust. That's not the same with all the outrunners I tested, where there is virtually no difference in power output between a 35C/50C or 70C. Since I'm getting great flight times with the battery I'm using, I may not even upgrade to the inrunner (although I still have it on my "ready to buy" wish list) because I can't really afford to add any more weight (in a higher C battery in the front) to my F-18 (primarily for the CG as I have the battery all the way aft with almost 2 ounces of lead in the tail just to get close to 92mm CG). Others in this thread (DcCorsair for one, I believe and maybe Phantom) have upgraded to that 12 blade inrunner and get outstanding performance along with great sound, so I would suggest that if you're bank account can handle it, go with the 12 blade inrunner instead of the 9 blade inrunner. Yes, I know, vanity can be expensive for the sake of a better sound, but that's just me.
    I've got the 90 FMS power setup, in my F-4 and F-16. I thought about using the FW 1835kv, everyone seems to be very happy with it, but at the time it wasn't in stock so I went with the FMS one. I'm happy with its performance, efficiency and sound, and it's about 60 bucks cheaper on average.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post

I am running F16 ordinance too so that will be causing a lot of drag. Don't fly full throttle all the time. I am flying from grass though and takes a long old run before lift off. Genuinely don't know how you are achieving those kind of flight times. I'm lucky if I see those times on my new in runner upgraded Avanti. Maybe I am a little more throttle happy than most but then why buy a jet to go slow right..? Lol
      Not sure why, I also fly off of grass and on the first 4 flights, with the F-16 ordinance, and the RT 6250, I came in at 3:55 to 4:10 and had 46% to 55% battery left. The exact same stock 9 blade outrunner in my F-18 is in both of my 90 mm F-4's, and flying off of grass with ordinance on those I have my timer set at 4:00 (don't usually go over that by much because I want enough reserve for up to 2 go-arounds if needed) and still come in with 25% or more on the same battery (or even the Admiral 6000 you use) and the F-4 air frame definitely is not as efficient as the F-18, so both of these times make sense in comparison, at least to me. I know you think I must be crazy or exaggerating (which I completely am, crazy that is ), but you might want to check out the video that James did for Motion along with his instructor pilot friend (forgot his name) when they discuss their claim of 5 minutes or more with a Admiral 6000 on the F-18.

Now my F-16 fully loaded on grass with the upgraded inrunner is another story (even had to add flaperons to help get her off of there) and with the 5000 70C battery I get just over 3 minutes, but it has better "power" and top end thrust with that battery than the 6250 35C. Still, I've been flying it with that and get about 3:30 at least (almost the same with the Admiral 6000), and that heavy beast is no where near as lite and nimble as the F-18, so I'm even doing better on time with that than you are with the F-18, which makes no sense to me at all.

BTW, James and this instructor pilot did a great video on landing technique that I would suggest all of us neophyte RC pilots should check out. Great stuff.

I think this is the link:
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

what power upgrades have people done? I recently upgraded my Avanti to the new in runner and can now set my timer to 4 mins instead of 3 mins and I get a lot more power. I want to achieve the same goal with my base grey F18 as it is still on the original out runner which is sluggish and only just gets me 3 mins. Often landing with my 6000 50c Admiral at 3.6 per cell. Not ideal. I know motion now list the in runner as an upgrade but its out of stock. I have subscribed to notify me by email when its back in stock but with current covid situation goodness only knows how long that could be so I'm considering other options. Obviously don't want to spend the earth but understand a bargain wont achieve what I want so guess i can budget £150 ish. Maybe a little more but don't want to go over £200. Talking English pounds here by the way.
        thoughts...
        I have my timer set to 3:00, counting down above 25% throttle. My actual flight time from taxi to land is 5:33. The plane is all stock.

Comment

• Hey guys,

I posted a question about the stiffness of the nose landing gear due to "jumping" problems on grass some time ago. I received some great tips, one about using some nose-down elevator to prevent premature liftoff. That does not prevent jumping totally but works great as seen on the video I took from a recent flight on one of the best grass runways I could find in the vicinity so I decided against cutting the nose gear spring.

Regarding the flight time discussion here, that flight is is stock-setup (outrunner as the upgraded version is not available in Europe and the upgrade is unavailable for orders right now) except a centerburner kit using a 5000 mAh battery resulting in a flight time of about 3:20 min.

Btw: Thanks again, Patrick and James, for those great landing tutorial videos. Having a background in aviation that technique was counter-intuitive for me as it is the opposite on the airplane I usually fly but works really great on model aircraft.

Comment

taken a chance and placed the order for that one from rc Castle. Now let's see how long it takes to arrive and how much I get hit more on import and customs
            Only £7.95 customs charge. Not too bad at all really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quax View Post
              Hey guys,

I posted a question about the stiffness of the nose landing gear due to "jumping" problems on grass some time ago. I received some great tips, one about using some nose-down elevator to prevent premature liftoff. That does not prevent jumping totally but works great as seen on the video I took from a recent flight on one of the best grass runways I could find in the vicinity so I decided against cutting the nose gear spring.
              This might be of interest

1,5cm of silicone fuel tube under the very soft and small front strut spring did wonders on my grass field.#motionrc #freewing

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                Thank you very much for posting that video - that is exactly the problem I have. I am going to try that as it won't be necessary to shorten the spring.

Comment

• Hey guys, a few of your emailed me when RCInformer came out with the battery tray/nose gear reinforcing.
                  They are done and be shipping middle of this coming week. Giving Hobby Squawk members discount, price is $15 + shipping. Shoot me PM if you like one
                  Planes
                  -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                  -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Nice mod. Another choice for clearance to drill the hole is to simply hit the retract switch and pull the battery plug half way through the retract cycle.

Comment

• Guys the new high performance version is incredible out of the box!! It really blew me away!! 4 mins of hard flying mostly full throttle and 3.8v per cell resting voltage after the flight! Crazy high speed passes, insane vertical and great slow speed handling. While I don't care for the sound of the 9 blade it is an awful lot like a jetfan! Sounds and in looks... I will have video soon...
                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Check out the latest videos of the Blue Angel from RCInformer

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Sweet! Great to hear. Looking forward to snagging one sometime this Summer funds permitting...
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                            Check out the latest videos of the Blue Angel from RCInformer

Gotta love it, my flaps did the same thing on my BA version, worked when they wanted to and it wasn't my radio, glad to see Rich enjoying it, I hated it, sold it after about 45 flights.........

Comment

• Already posted in "What did you Fly today" got 12 flights in on 4 jets, including 3 flights with the F-18 for it's first flights off of grass after doing the maiden a couple weeks ago off of asphalt. Was a little nervous wondering if the extra 1.2 pounds I ended up with from the 3D cockpit/paint/graphics /afterburners would make take-off difficult, but even with the stock outrunner, turned out to be no problem. I used the RT 6250 35 C batteries and got well over 4 minutes, but most of that was at more throttle than I normally fly (it was hot, humid with no wind so I wanted to keep it moving and as I said, was just a little nervous). It did have a slight bounce on take-off (have not altered the nose gear spring like some flying off of grass), but nothing too hard to handle. I trimmed my take-off flaps so it results in a level to slight down attitude so when it hit some bumps, the nose didn't rise up much, instead the whole jet lifted up level, so it was time to give it up elevator and take-off nice and smooth.

I did notice on landing a couple things, 1) seems best to put in full flaps (if I'm using them especially with a dead wind) only after it is aligned with the runway on it's glide path. Initially put them down on the downwind leg (but no wind) and at a slower speed, the full flaps seemed to hinder the air going over the elevators. Don't know if it was just me and my nervousness or if anyone else notices that, but on the next flights I waited till I aligned with the runway and then went from mid to landing flaps and it stayed much more stable (or my nerves had finally calmed down). And 2) this jet seems to float much easier than my F-16 or F-4 so I need to reduce power a little more than with those. Even so, it does come in very nice and is easy to get it into a nose up attitude prior to touchdown. Overall, I love this jet. Imagine with an inrunner it would be real sweet heart! And I don't want anyone giving me a hard time for attaching the missiles on a demonstration livery, they just look cool and hey, you never know when you're up in the air who you may want to take a shot at these days!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_101046.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	261981
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Gotta love it, my flaps did the same thing on my BA version, worked when they wanted to and it wasn't my radio, glad to him enjoying it, I hated it, sold it after about 45 flights.........
                                I don't use mine at all... no problem here!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                  Already posted in "What did you Fly today" got 12 flights in on 4 jets, including 3 flights with the F-18 for it's first flights off of grass after doing the maiden a couple weeks ago off of asphalt. Was a little nervous wondering if the extra 1.2 pounds I ended up with from the 3D cockpit/paint/graphics /afterburners would make take-off difficult, but even with the stock outrunner, turned out to be no problem. I used the RT 6250 35 C batteries and got well over 4 minutes, but most of that was at more throttle than I normally fly (it was hot, humid with no wind so I wanted to keep it moving and as I said, was just a little nervous). It did have a slight bounce on take-off (have not altered the nose gear spring like some flying off of grass), but nothing too hard to handle. I trimmed my take-off flaps so it results in a level to slight down attitude so when it hit some bumps, the nose didn't rise up much, instead the whole jet lifted up level, so it was time to give it up elevator and take-off nice and smooth.

I did notice on landing a couple things, 1) seems best to put in full flaps (if I'm using them especially with a dead wind) only after it is aligned with the runway on it's glide path. Initially put them down on the downwind leg (but no wind) and at a slower speed, the full flaps seemed to hinder the air going over the elevators. Don't know if it was just me and my nervousness or if anyone else notices that, but on the next flights I waited till I aligned with the runway and then went from mid to landing flaps and it stayed much more stable (or my nerves had finally calmed down). And 2) this jet seems to float much easier than my F-16 or F-4 so I need to reduce power a little more than with those. Even so, it does come in very nice and is easy to get it into a nose up attitude prior to touchdown. Overall, I love this jet. Imagine with an inrunner it would be real sweet heart! And I don't want anyone giving me a hard time for attaching the missiles on a demonstration livery, they just look cool and hey, you never know when you're up in the air who you may want to take a shot at these days!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_101046.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	261981
                                  I say leave those wingtips loaded, looks great.

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                    Guys the new high performance version is incredible out of the box!! It really blew me away!! 4 mins of hard flying mostly full throttle and 3.8v per cell resting voltage after the flight! Crazy high speed passes, insane vertical and great slow speed handling. While I don't care for the sound of the 9 blade it is an awful lot like a jetfan! Sounds and in looks... I will have video soon...
                                    I see that the complete fan unit with the in runner motor goes for $90, although it’s currently out of stock. Sounds like it’s a worthwhile upgrade?

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

I see that the complete fan unit with the in runner motor goes for $90, although it’s currently out of stock. Sounds like it’s a worthwhile upgrade?
                                      its worth it for sure!!!

Comment

• I do not see the 3672-1900kV inrunner motor with 9-blade fan "Upgrade" offering for the MotionRC F-18C on their website. Is the OEM Fan the same so the only change out is the inrunner motor? I have the original "Basic Gray" version. Inquisitively, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                          I do not see the 3672-1900kV inrunner motor with 9-blade fan "Upgrade" offering for the MotionRC F-18C on their website. Is the OEM Fan the same so the only change out is the inrunner motor? I have the original "Basic Gray" version. Inquisitively, LB
                                          I went with this one:-

- Rotor Blade Material : Nylon Composite With Fiber- Outer Diameter: 93mm- Length: 107mm- Weight: 530g- Rotor: 90mm , 12 Blade Normal- Spinner: Aluminium Spinner- Motor:: 4068 1835Kv Inrunner Motor (Installed)- Working Voltage: 6s  22.2v- Static Thrust:

Comment

• Elbee
                                            Elbee commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            CB, Thank you. I will add this to my research list. how do you like the way your Hornet flies with this upgrade compared to OEM? Best, LB
                                        Working...
                                        X