Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still not happy with the power of my bird. Has anyone tried installing the 8S freewing F22 setup?

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

I'm still preparing for my maiden flight on mine, I'm doing the Year One Super Bee scheme ... it's a nightmare but I hope it will look good once finished.

A little concerned I'm adding weight with all of the decals and paint, but hey...
      I love that theme as well, almost did it but opted for the Canadian instead. Can't wait to see yours and maybe I'll do a 2nd one in that livery. Not sure you'll have too much of a problem with the weight, as Elbee said, my F-18 Canadian Demo has the stock 9 blade outrunner (not even the upgraded inrunner in the BA version) and with all the extra paint/decals/clear gloss urethane/3D cockpit (that added 150g itself) and twin afterburners, it still got off the grass well and seemed to me to fly well, but can't compare it to the upgraded version since I've never flown it. Mine ended up weighing in at 1.2 POUNDS over the base grey stock, so kind of surprised if even lifted off. I'm flying it on the Roaring Top 6250 mAh 35C, so it is still not putting out maximum take-off thrust with that lower C battery, but I do get almost 5 minutes of flight time. I was thinking of upgrading to the 12 blade inrunner Elbee just got for better take-off thrust, but waiting for his review of it before doing so. Even as is, I'm still happy with it as is, but then I probably don't know any better. One thing for sure, it's definitely not a "floater". If you haven't seen my maiden video, you can judge for yourself how it flew, although this was on asphalt and have since flown it exclusively on grass.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

... BTW, I showed Tamms this post as she is very interested, as am I, in building and keeping a hive out back. We've been talking about it for a couple years and figure it's time to do rather than think. Any research info would be appreciated if you are willing to share research. Just PM me here. In the mean time, I will be looking forward to seeing your progress. Post pics as you are able, Best, Steve
        Hi Steve, happy to share anything we know and our (early) experiences with the bees. Funnily enough they are right by my workshop and while they have never generally bothered me, the thought of 60,000 within 10 metres didn't at first appeal to me 😂, but I'm rather fond of our busy little harem now and find myself wishing them a good morning and evening!

The girls do all the work with the drones (males) not much good for anything other than mating with the queen every few years (now there's a meatphor for life if ever I heard one)!

PM me if required, the girls were moved from the Nuc box into the main hive around 6 weeks ago and the colony has expanded exponentially since. My wife is going to do the weekly inspection on Saturday so will take some photos and post on here (for those interested).

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I love that theme as well, almost did it but opted for the Canadian instead....

https://youtu.be/JMQTuHvB4yA
          Wow. that looks a real work of art!

I guess it's going to take me a few more weeks to complete things, it really is a tricky scheme and I bit off more than I could chew with it if I'm honest.

I'm using oil based enamels to sharpen the scheme, I wasn't so happy with the initial application and I find enamels give a far superior finish than acrylics, but they take FOREVER to dry between coats!

I couldn't use my airbrush over the vinyls so I was channelled down this route by default.

Not recommended for the faint-hearted but having seen your Canadian bird, a man of your calibre shouldn't have any issues whatsoever!

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

Wow. that looks a real work of art!

I guess it's going to take me a few more weeks to complete things, it really is a tricky scheme and I bit off more than I could chew with it if I'm honest.

I'm using oil based enamels to sharpen the scheme, I wasn't so happy with the initial application and I find enamels give a far superior finish than acrylics, but they take FOREVER to dry between coats!

I couldn't use my airbrush over the vinyls so I was channelled down this route by default.

Not recommended for the faint-hearted but having seen your Canadian bird, a man of your calibre shouldn't have any issues whatsoever!

Andy
            Hey Andy, what are you talking about a "man of my caliber", I'm from the stone ages! That paint job was with Home Depot spray paint and hand cut trim tape. Getting the darker red around the Leafs I still used a spray can (wow, an airbrush would have worked great) and made some cardboard dams to simulate the scalloped effect of the paint and made my wife hold them (a lot of choice words were exchanged by each of us during that process), then later did some hand painting. It's a miracle it didn't end up looking like a 1st graders finger painting. And installing the graphics almost ended in a divorce, but thankfully my CO has a lot more patience than I do!
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Has anyone installed the High Performance 4068-1835kV, 12-blade fan from the F-15 in the F-18? Any thoughts?
              Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post
                Has anyone installed the High Performance 4068-1835kV, 12-blade fan from the F-15 in the F-18? Any thoughts? Thanks.
                FH, I ordered and received from MotionRC the EDF system you have described for my 90mm Freewing F-18C. https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...inrunner-motor I am not yet finished building this beauty (hopefully by mid-August) and then we'll see how it goes. My Hornet is a bit weighty with the mods I've added, so my review would not be a fair example of how much better an OEM "Bug" might perform. I just wanted the extra 'grunt' for transition throttle and believe this setup will do that well. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Pretty disappointed, I bought my F18 at the end of May and originally was trying to get it set up to fly in June. Well as usual life gets in the way. Only now have I had the time to finish building it and get the electronics set it.
                  It has a problem with the ailerons and initially I thought it was a blue box issue so i've just swapped that out with one from my raptor. No luck they still twitch like mad after a few seconds of being powered up. I've never had a problem with freewing servos before so i'm disappointed to see two not working. I've raised a ticket with motion but i'm guessing i'll be out of luck as they state a 30 day warranty period from delivery.
                  Now wishing I hadn't bothered with this one as I am well aware of its other faults and failings so i'm feeling it was a risky gamble that has never made it off the ground!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
                    Pretty disappointed, I bought my F18 at the end of May and originally was trying to get it set up to fly in June. Well as usual life gets in the way. Only now have I had the time to finish building it and get the electronics set it.
                    It has a problem with the ailerons and initially I thought it was a blue box issue so i've just swapped that out with one from my raptor. No luck they still twitch like mad after a few seconds of being powered up. I've never had a problem with freewing servos before so i'm disappointed to see two not working. I've raised a ticket with motion but i'm guessing i'll be out of luck as they state a 30 day warranty period from delivery.
                    Now wishing I hadn't bothered with this one as I am well aware of its other faults and failings so i'm feeling it was a risky gamble that has never made it off the ground!!
                    Have you tried by-passing the blue box for the ailerons and hooking them up directly to the RX?

Comment

• yep, the servos are at fault. I put them on a servo tester and at the end point on one direction they twitch about. on auto cycle on the tester this is difficult to see but when you slow it down on manual mode one end of the travel creates the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
                        yep, the servos are at fault. I put them on a servo tester and at the end point on one direction they twitch about. on auto cycle on the tester this is difficult to see but when you slow it down on manual mode one end of the travel creates the problem.
                        Bummer! If you're anything like me, I have a bag full of old salvaged servos from crashed planes that could be used. I just need to find a matched pair. Nevertheless, I think those servos are fairly cheap to begin with. You might do well to just go to your local hobby shop and buy a couple. They may cost a bit more but they'll be a higher quality and you won't have to pay for shipping.

Comment

• Well I joined the hornet club today...high performance version. I hope it can get out of the grass. I will probably bypass the blue box for most things as I want spanwise flaps and tailerons.
                          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                            Well I joined the hornet club today...high performance version. I hope it can get out of the grass. I will probably bypass the blue box for most things as I want spanwise flaps and tailerons.
                            seaviper you should have no problem getting the high performance BA F-18 off the grass. I got the grey version to repaint into the Canadian Demo Team and it has the stock 9 blade 3748-1750 Kv outrunner in it (same as comes stock in the F-4). After all the paint/graphics/Afterburners and heavy 3D cockpit it ended up weighing almost 1.2 pounds heavier than the stock version and it got off the grass just fine, so that 3672-1900 Kv inrunner in yours should make it a rocket!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I got the grey one in high performance. And some Callie Graphics to go with it

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                I got the grey one in high performance. And some Callie Graphics to go with it
                                I'm glad they finally put the upgraded fan in the base grey. I figured it would happen soon since I got mine a couple months ago and it was still with the standard outrunner, usually happens that soon after I get one they quickly upgrade it right after! If your waiting for something to get upgraded, just ask me when I finally buy one, then you'll know it's going to happen soon after!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• actually I was waiting for them to offer the upgraded one in grey.

Comment

• Hornet Fans, for any of you who might still remember I am building one of these, here are a couple pix of the painting progress and 'dry fit'. The Red can be a bear to mask with all the compound curves. I am using Tamiya 3mm wide white flexible masking tape. It does work well. The canopy was stripped and masked. I painted a layer of black for the inner color and then red for the outer color. Tomorrow I will tackle the Black Ace of Spades on the spine with a paper template and the patience of Job. Glad to finally be adding color instead of parts. Have a great weekend. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looking GREAT Elbee! Looks like it will be stunning! That cockpit looks simply amazing. Looking forward to the final reveal ......

Cheers Kurt

Comment

• I was about to respond but Beetlemankurt pretty much said it all. Bravo Zulu Sir Elbee
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                          Hornet Fans, for any of you who might still remember I am building one of these, here are a couple pix of the painting progress and 'dry fit'. The Red can be a bear to mask with all the compound curves. I am using Tamiya 3mm wide white flexible masking tape. It does work well. The canopy was stripped and masked. I painted a layer of black for the inner color and then red for the outer color. Tomorrow I will tackle the Black Ace of Spades on the spine with a paper template and the patience of Job. Glad to finally be adding color instead of parts. Have a great weekend. Best, LB
                                          Looking awesome already.

Comment

Working...
                                          X