X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh,
    Thanks for the outstanding information! I do appreciate it. I’m going to pick up some Varathane and a few brushes this week in preparation for the F-18 arrival. Your models look great. And the re-paints are outstanding! Well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post

Excellent. I just now ordered the Blue Angels ARF+. Also planning on installing the EDF 4068-1835kV in-runner / 12 Blade from my recently crashed F-15. Also considering doing the elevator servo and linkage upgrade.

What brand/type clear coat do you all recommend to liven up the Blue Angels scheme?
      Used Minwax (water based) Polycrylic -Clear Gloss. Goes on milky white, but dries crystal clear. I did one real light coat then went over it lightly with a scrotch brite pad, then a second coat. You wont be disappointed with the results
      . Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Nose 1-9-21.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	293867Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Tail 1-9-21.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	293868
      The EDF from your F-15 will work great in the F-18. Strongly suggest you do the elevator up-grades. Always better to be safe than picking up a bunch of small blue pieces.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post
        Used Minwax (water based) Polycrylic -Clear Gloss. Goes on milky white, but dries crystal clear. I did one real light coat then went over it lightly with a scrotch brite pad, then a second coat. You wont be disappointed with the results
        . Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Nose 1-9-21.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	293867Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Tail 1-9-21.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	293868
        The EDF from your F-15 will work great in the F-18. Strongly suggest you do the elevator up-grades. Always better to be safe than picking up a bunch of small blue pieces.....
        That looks very nice! Elevator servo/linkage upgrade it is.
        Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
          I know this might be an annoying question to try to answer but would you say the FW F18 C is a top shelf do everything well flyer?
          No, it's not.
          Forget about sustained high alpha capability and good-handling slow flight.

Comment

• I agree with Airguardian r.e. the F-18's capabilities. It won't high alpha very well and can get into a nasty stall.

Still, I like mine enough that I bought a second one. It does enough well to be fun.

Even though my F-22 (on 8S) performs better overall, I find I'm flying my 6S F-18 more often.

Comment

• So what servos would you all say are best for the elevator servo upgrade?

Comment

• Yep, I'm digging mine too! Not trying to discourage anyone, on the contrary, this jet has a few very unique features that make it a very nice jet to have in the fleet.

Just addressing the "it's not a do everything flyer" thingy. Don't expect it to be. Like most aircraft, it excells at some things, sucks at others. ;)

(And that's half the fun of it!)

Comment

So what servos would you all say are best for the elevator servo upgrade?
                  I don't think it really needs an upgrade. There are better servos of course, but if yours has an issue, either the bearing block will break loose from the foam, and/or the plastic ball link will fracture where it joins the rod before the servos will fail on the elevators.

I'm using the Turnigy TGY-390DMH and it's a drop in replacement (assuming you have the channels) and it's a good servo. More precise than stock, but on the inner hole I don't think the Freewing servos are inadequate for this model. Other stuff will break first.

I'd do the bearing block reinforcement and (for an OEM solution) replace the stock F-18 ball link connectors with the ones from the Gripen, or go aftermarket. The ones from the Gripen are redesigned and the plastic connector is much stronger and less likely to bend, then break.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Std Elevator Link 1-5-21.JPG
Views:	931
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	293263
                    Standard linkage for the elevators. Upgraded the servo to the Hitek.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Upgraded Elevator Link 1-5-21.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	293264
                    New upgrades for the elevator servo's and linkage. Much better action and eliminates any biding issues with std linkage.
                    My F-18 won’t arrive until at least the end of the week. My uncle just finished assembling his F-18 and is also considering the elevator servo/linkage upgrade. He was looking into it tonight and is finding the servo won’t release from the pocket due to the servo wires being securely fastened to the model. Any suggestions here?
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

I don't think it really needs an upgrade. There are better servos of course, but if yours has an issue, either the bearing block will break loose from the foam, and/or the plastic ball link will fracture where it joins the rod before the servos will fail on the elevators.

I'm using the Turnigy TGY-390DMH and it's a drop in replacement (assuming you have the channels) and it's a good servo. More precise than stock, but on the inner hole I don't think the Freewing servos are inadequate for this model. Other stuff will break first.

I'd do the bearing block reinforcement and (for an OEM solution) replace the stock F-18 ball link connectors with the ones from the Gripen, or go aftermarket. The ones from the Gripen are redesigned and the plastic connector is much stronger and less likely to bend, then break.
                      Thank you for the information. Noted. I was planning on upgrading the linkage as well. Using Dubro 2-56 ball links. We will also take a closer look into the security of the bearing block.

Comment

My F-18 won’t arrive until at least the end of the week. My uncle just finished assembling his F-18 and is also considering the elevator servo/linkage upgrade. He was looking into it tonight and is finding the servo won’t release from the pocket due to the servo wires being securely fastened to the model. Any suggestions here?
                        Thanks!
                        First ..congrats on the New F-18,,,,,,,The elevator servos are in there really tight and take some doing to get out. There should be enough of the servo leads for you to remove and disconnect.
                        As far as the up-grade I used: Du-Bro 2-56 Swivel Ball Links on both ends with a Du-Bro 2-56 12" Fully Threaded Rod (need to cut to length) & the servo is a Hitec D85MG with Du-pro Hitec servo heavy duty servo arms. The servo's will require to be programed for the throw distance and you will need to reverse the action on one of them. Get the basic programmer and use your computer to set up the servo's. The Hitec servo's are really tough to get in the block space, but they will fit.....Many say its not needed and many swear by the up-grades. Its your call, but anything I can do to up-grade or improve any of my models I do,,,,

Comment

• Be careful getting the new servos into the pockets for the elevators also.

It's very easy to cut through the insulation on the servo wires if you try to force them in. The space is tight and the corners are sharp.

It helps if you put some electrical tape over the wires to act as a sacrificial buffer between the wires and the plastic corner when you install. As does rounding off the corners of the servo pocket.

As far a servo replacements, the flap servos are 9 gram and marginal for the loads needed for those big flaps. I've had unequal flap deployment with them, as have others. Move as close to the inner-most hole that you can, or those would be first on my upgrade list vs. the elevators.

Comment

• Elbee's STL Cockpit files are now available for free download via the Support tab on all of our F/A-18C Hornet product pages...Apologies for the delay in getting them online.

F/A-18C Hornet Blue Angels High Performance 90mm EDF Jet - PNP from Freewing - FJ31414P Version Info: This is the High Performance version of the Freewing F/A-18C Hornet Blue Angels. This version includes full digital metal gear servos for elevators and flaps and, as of 10/13/2023, a newly designed 3668-1960Kv inrunner

My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

First ..congrats on the New F-18,,,,,,,The elevator servos are in there really tight and take some doing to get out. There should be enough of the servo leads for you to remove and disconnect.
                              As far as the up-grade I used: Du-Bro 2-56 Swivel Ball Links on both ends with a Du-Bro 2-56 12" Fully Threaded Rod (need to cut to length) & the servo is a Hitec D85MG with Du-pro Hitec servo heavy duty servo arms. The servo's will require to be programed for the throw distance and you will need to reverse the action on one of them. Get the basic programmer and use your computer to set up the servo's. The Hitec servo's are really tough to get in the block space, but they will fit.....Many say its not needed and many swear by the up-grades. Its your call, but anything I can do to up-grade or improve any of my models I do,,,,
                              Cool, thanks. Coincidentally I use the Dubro 2-56 ball links, all-thread and carbon fiber tube to build throttle pushrods for my gassers. So supplies are already on hand. I’ve already ordered the D85MG’s, but need to pick up the programmer. Thanks for the heads up. And I’m with you. Outside of the additional expense I don’t see a downside to installing better quality servos.
                              Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
                                Be careful getting the new servos into the pockets for the elevators also.

It's very easy to cut through the insulation on the servo wires if you try to force them in. The space is tight and the corners are sharp.

It helps if you put some electrical tape over the wires to act as a sacrificial buffer between the wires and the plastic corner when you install. As does rounding off the corners of the servo pocket.

As far a servo replacements, the flap servos are 9 gram and marginal for the loads needed for those big flaps. I've had unequal flap deployment with them, as have others. Move as close to the inner-most hole that you can, or those would be first on my upgrade list vs. the elevators.
                                Thanks for the good info. This is the first I’ve heard of weak flap servos. Good to know.

Comment

• Curious how easy or how hard it was for those of you who have replaced the aileron servos. I assume you have to remove the servo's entire lead all the way through the entire wing length or does it have a shorter lead length where it's not too much of a pain? I know the elevator servos have short leads and I'm sure the aileron leads are a lot longer...Just curious where the lead meets the extension and if it's a quick job or going to require some wine.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    Elbee's STL Cockpit files are now available for free download via the Support tab on all of our F/A-18C Hornet product pages...Apologies for the delay in getting them online.

F/A-18C Hornet Blue Angels High Performance 90mm EDF Jet - PNP from Freewing - FJ31414P Version Info: This is the High Performance version of the Freewing F/A-18C Hornet Blue Angels. This version includes full digital metal gear servos for elevators and flaps and, as of 10/13/2023, a newly designed 3668-1960Kv inrunner
                                    Outstanding, thank you so very, very much! :D

Comment

• That will likely end up on my FPV-cockpit mod for the Hornet! :)

Comment

• Sweet! Great cockpit, thanks Elbee! Can't wait to put mine together.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post
                                          Unbelievably gorgeous work Polyphren! Would love to see more pictures at other angles when you get her out to the field in the sun.
                                          Being out on the field might take a while. It´ s all white and temperature is far from comfortable.
                                          Nevertheless, the outside of my F/A-18 is finished.

A black cockpit would be nice, but I don‘t want to damage it. Perhaps I‘ll buy a spare part for this experiment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7565293F-C754-404B-BD87-344224435AFE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	294897
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X