X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

First go to F-Mode Setup in the second group of menus, Select the Switch you use for Flaps (I use D). Then get sexy and go to Spoken Flight Mode and next to "Speak" it will say F MODE 1 (or whatever position your flap switch is on). Click on F MODE 1 and the drop down list of all the verbal commands come up. About 2/3 the way down, you find "Flaps Up", and "Take-off Flaps" and "Landing Flaps". Put those in on the appropriate switch positions, so now when you change your flap switch, a sexy babe tells you where your switch is set (mine usually over rides that and says "You Dumb Sh.., You're about to Crash Yet Again!).

Now the last step is to go to the "Trim Setup" menu. Next to each surface it says "Common" (except Throttle which may say "Common Digital"). Go to the Elevator, and next to it (but after the number 5-don't ask me what happens when you change the number), change Common to F Mode. I would also do it with aileron. This way if you're flaps don't deflect exactly the same, you can trim out any roll. Flew my F-18 today and for some reason had to trim out some roll on landing flaps, and just a bit on take-off flaps. Could have been the crosswind, or I could have screwed something up as I've been messing around a lot with CG, going from 105mm to 115mm from the 88mm recommended. Man, it really goes into High Alpha easily, but for me it's a little wonky (just not the pilot AirGuardian is).
    Thanks my friend! I pasted this to a doc so I can refer to it down the road whenever needed.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Gentlemen 3rd jet ( if i buy this one ) OVER 30 WARBIRDS 60 thru 92” is this model too much of a jump and will this fly off grass ?
      I have a great supply of 6s 5000 Graphenes and I am concerned about weight and our grass field
      Thanks for any advice you can provide

Comment

• Another cool video of aggressive aerobatic flying with the Hornet... airshow-demo style! :)

Mine is using 6S 5Ah 870g Panther LiPos, so there's that.
        Taking off from grass... will depend on the grass and your EDF combo.

Comment

• Nice squared loops! Etc, etc!

Comment

• Thanks!
            I need to work them out a bit more though... I probably enter them too slow and then I need to rush them up and fast forward to the exit or the jet stalls!

Comment

• Very nicely done Airguardian

Comment

• Thanks!
                Put 4 more flights on her today and got some really cool shots!
                I made my lowest knife edge to date... quite excited about that. Pucker factor was high! :o

And just installed some plastic film inside the nozzles to make the air come out 'straighter', giving a better neutral thrustline.
                So far it seems to have worked perfectly, will post updates on the progress :)

Comment

• I never thought of that , using plastic film, please show picture

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by steven gubala View Post
                      I never thought of that , using plastic film, please show picture
                      They're called "thrust tubes".
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FJU-Thrust-Tube.jpg?time=1621214914.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	313000
                      Attached Files

Comment

• While working on getting my 2nd Hornet ready for repainting, I removed the battery tray and the BB from it so I can put the BB further aft, making more room to move the battery back and get to my preferred CG. Then it dawned on me, there is plenty of room underneath the battery tray for the BB and all the wires. So then I went back to my 1st Hornet and pulled all the wires out and put them along with the BB under the battery tray. My receiver is up front away from the battery and pulled the wires up through the front of the tray. Before, I had a tough time getting my battery far enough back in that one especially with the 3D printed cockpit and full body pilot (all adding an extra 150 gr of weight to the nose) and all the wires were a real rats nest. I was forced to add lead weight in the elevator bay to get a decent CG, but now with cleaning everything up and coving the wires, I have plenty of room to move the battery around. I'll work on the CG tomorrow and no doubt will be able to remove some of that lead in my a...!!

So if you need more space to move the battery aft and adjust your CG, just relocate the wires and blue box. You may not need to do this with the stock cockpit, but it's an option that works well, at least IMO. The best part is covering up the mess of wires, including the wires for the afterburners.

Name:	20210518_203523.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	313314Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_203611.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	313315Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_203704.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	313316
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• It's a great place to put your receiver, light module and other things too. Most planes have room under the floorboards. I also clean up the wiring and close off holes and openings in the foam Here's mine.

Name:	IMG_2234.JPG
Views:	576
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	313346Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	313347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1343.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	313348Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1826.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	313349Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67684.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	313350Click image for larger version

Name:	image-d632f97b.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	313351Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	313352Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig battery comp2.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	313353Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery bay.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	313354

Comment

• Evan D now those are some "Clean Machines". Your Mig wiring is impeccable, hopefully I can get close to that with mine, thanks for posting photos, just wish you would have done it a lot sooner to show me the way! Without these expert solutions, at least in my case, even a "Blind Squirrel Occasionally Finds a Nut"!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I talked about this earlier too... thoroughly recommended to bury BB under tray to have clean battery compartment access. :)
                              My battery packs go fully 'under the roof' when installed on the jet :p

Name:	20200321_223411.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	313383Click image for larger version

Name:	P1111396.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	313384

I have battery even further aft now than what is shown in the picture... but gives an idea :)

Comment

• Had my 6th flight this afternoon. Most of it went well but upon setting up for landing and putting one notch of flaps in (what I’ve been using for landing) it started rolling hard right. It eventually went inverted and I pulled it out and was able to miraculously put it down with no damage. By the time I touched down I was full left aileron to keep it from rolling over. When I got to the plane the left flap was at position 1 and the right flap was up. I am hooked up to the blue box but have never seen this before today. Any ideas ?

Comment

• It's been debated quite a lot already.
                                  Check that the flaps are not hard pressed when retracted (causing further load on the servos), don't use delay functions longer than 2s and in case of doubt, replace flap servos by beefier ones (more torque).

Anyway, how come you didn't immediately retract flaps as soon as that happened?

Comment

• Many times the book setup is not a very good mechanical setup. On the FW F-18, from memory, the aileron, elevator and flaps all have poor set up when placing the pushrods in the designated servo horn hole and surface horn hole. I moved the push rod in one hole on the servo for each of these surfaces.

Doing so allowed me to use the servo travel at 100% (or more). This makes the servo work easier and with more resolution. One hole is about 20% easier the servo is working.

I hope that makes sense.

Comment

• Yep Big Dave I've had several asymmetrical flap configs which really keeps you on your toes! I do have a 3 second delay so maybe I need to drop that to 2. Also, too much deflection at max settings and it would rub against the side of the fuse which would cause sticking issues as well.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Got out flying today and put the Mig and 2nd Hornet painting on hold. The F-18 Canadian had been flying great with about 30 flights on it with the new 12 blade inrunner, but all of a sudden it developed the dreaded flap issue others have posted. This is the 2nd time out in a row that the left flap (I think), won't go down in flight, yet on the ground and even under pressure it works fine! Reduced the delay to 2 seconds and to 0, yet in flight it's dead! Man, it sure flies squirrely with only one flap in the landing position (drastic roll left-so assume it's the left flap not going down). Virtually uncontrollable until it gets raised. Next plan is to bypass the BB completely. I'd change the servo, but even under heavy pressure on the bench, it works fine, but if bypassing the BB doesn't solve it, guess I'll try a new servo!

Name:	20210528_111322.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	314348
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Wow this flap issue is a real thing. I've had it happen on several of these models. Very intermittent. Looks like I should swap out the flap servos as well. Glad you were able to bring her down in one piece Hugh Wiedman!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X