Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Hugh, here are some more videos with the new livery! :D

Comment

• Airguardian , this is the 2016 Spanish Airforce Hornet, no? She is a beauty and really stands out in the air! If you can believe it, I still haven't been able to even maiden mine, or the Mig! Such horrible weather this summer and now another tropical depression/hurricane on the way that just cancelled our upcoming Model Aviation Fly In this weekend! Who ever heard of a hurricane with the name Fred, as in Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble! I could see something like Desdimona, but Fred? Got out last week between some showers but the runway was so soggy even my F-4 barely got off, and it has the 12 blade inrunner and usually goes off in less than 100'. Assumed the cheater holes in the F-18 and Mig would suck up enough water and wet grass to choke a horse so never even tried. RudyD54 barely got his Gripen off in 300 feet on one attempt and not at all on the 2nd, so we bagged it in hopes for better weather later. Now we have a hurricane!

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l500.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	321715
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Yes it is! :)

And funnily enough, I can actually picture a hurricane being called Fred, hahaha!

'Grumpy Fred shows up and ruins everyone's day'

I haven't been able to fly here either. Weather has been perfect in fact but after Monday (when I filmed these F-18 videos) there have been restrictions imposed on flying and other human activities due to heat and fire danger, so here I am, watching perfect flight sessions go by with zero-wind and gorgeous cloudy backgrounds with my recently painted Hornet screaming in frustration inside my head... :'(

Comment

• I just purchased this F/A-18C. Which Spectrum receiver should I buy...The AR-8020T or the AR-8360T? The 8360T has AS3X and Safe.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by cuzzroy View Post
            I just purchased this F/A-18C. Which Spectrum receiver should I buy...The AR-8020T or the AR-8360T? The 8360T has AS3X and Safe.

Thanks.
            Depends on what you like, a gyro or not. I have 2 F-18's and use the AR-637T along with a remote satellite in both. The 6 channel will suffice for a standard setup and you don't necessarily need the 8 channel, unless you want to set up tailerons/elevons or something else, then the 8 channel will work great. I personally like the AS3X in all my aircraft, but never use Safe, but that's just a personal preference, totally up to you. Just my 2 cents, but I'd get the RX with the AS3X.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Exactly, I’m using a 12ch Orange and have each surface plug into its own channel slot. No gyro.

Comment

• Hugh,

Thanks for the info regarding the receiver question. So yes, I'll go with AS3X....the AR637T. Also, what about the F-14? Will it fly good on a AR8360T? Or does it have it's own controller and gyro installed out of the box? I'm just back in the hobby and still learning all the terms. Gyro, stabilization, remote satellite, etc. What is the remote satellite you mentioned?

R,
                Dan

Comment

• There’s a board that is more a series of Y’s to aid in simplifying the wiring.

Comment

Hugh,

Thanks for the info regarding the receiver question. So yes, I'll go with AS3X....the AR637T. Also, what about the F-14? Will it fly good on a AR8360T? Or does it have it's own controller and gyro installed out of the box? I'm just back in the hobby and still learning all the terms. Gyro, stabilization, remote satellite, etc. What is the remote satellite you mentioned?

R,
                    Dan
                    The AR637T should work fine for you with standard setup (ailerons y'd together, elevators y'd together and rudders y'd together). If you have a Spektrum TX with more channels that a DX6, you will also be able to assign a knob to the gyro gains and be able to adjust gains in the air while flying. Although those 2 AS3X Spektrum RX's are 6 or 8 channels, internally they are something like 20 channels, but with only the 6 or 8 ports to connect servo's to, so if your TX has more channels, you can actually use those additional channels on different switches or knobs for various things even though a servo is not plugged into an additional port (I know, sounds confusing). In that case, with the AR637T the ability to adjust gains will be on Aux2 (flaps are Aux1 which is your 6th channel and Aux2 is actually now a 7th channel on a supposedly 6 channel RX). On my Mig I used an AR637T plus a Light Systems channel expander to give me 9 ports to plug into so I could add the TV nozzles. Unfortunately I only have a DX9 so I didn't have additional TX channels to get independent gyro gain adjustments, but the RX was not the limiting factor.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Copy all Hugh. Great info. Helps a bunch. I have an NX8 Spectrum Transmitter. So I think I'll go with the AR637T in the Hornet and the AR8360T in the Tomcat.

R,
                      Dan

Comment

Copy all Hugh. Great info. Helps a bunch. I have an NX8 Spectrum Transmitter. So I think I'll go with the AR637T in the Hornet and the AR8360T in the Tomcat.

R,
                        Dan
                        Sorry for the "brain freeze" on the y connectors, forgot that with the F-18, every servo wire goes into their circuit board, which in effect y's each surface with only one lead coming out for each to go to the RX so y connectors not necessary. I removed my wing ribbon cables on both of my Hornets because I was having an issue with the flaps when occasionally, one would remain stuck, causing some very funky flight conditions. Ended up replacing both flap servos and to be on the safe side, wired the ailerons/flaps/elevators directly to the RX with y connectors and bypassing the circuit board except for gear/rudder/lights. The flap issue happens only sporadically on several models with their blue box or circuit boards, but I was lucky enough to have the issue on a Hornet, a B-24 and the Avanti. Usually, reducing the flap delay to less than 2 seconds solves it (reduced to 0 on the Avanti and B-24 and it works fine), but still couldn't get it to work 100% of the time on one of the Hornets even at 0 delay, so new servos and bypassing the circuit board were the next potential fixes.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• OK. Got it. I'l definitely keep your info to help with the setup. Once again. Thanks.

R,
                          Dan

Comment

• Some F/A-18 Hornet contribution from Switzerland, repainted the base grey inrunner EDF version according to our Swiss Air Force schemes, model was J-5018 the display jet with the Swiss Panthers Squadron 18 logo on the rudders. However, I created my own proprietary panthers design on the rudders, the original one doesn't look that exciting in my view.... the maiden flight took place just last Saturday at Payerne airbase. Feel free to take a glimpse at the maiden video:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3666.JPG Views:	14 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	322891Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3667.JPG Views:	10 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	322893Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3677.JPG Views:	10 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	322892

Comment

• Originally posted by JP-4203 View Post
                              Some F/A-18 Hornet contribution from Switzerland, repainted the base grey inrunner EDF version according to our Swiss Air Force schemes
                              J4, Gorgeous livery choice. Great work, Sir. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Wonderful!

Comment

• Originally posted by JP-4203 View Post
                                  Some F/A-18 Hornet contribution from Switzerland, repainted the base grey inrunner EDF version according to our Swiss Air Force schemes, model was J-5018 the display jet with the Swiss Panthers Squadron 18 logo on the rudders. However, I created my own proprietary panthers design on the rudders, the original one doesn't look that exciting in my view.... the maiden flight took place just last Saturday at Payerne airbase. Feel free to take a glimpse at the maiden video:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3666.JPG Views:	14 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	322891Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3667.JPG Views:	10 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	322893Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3677.JPG Views:	10 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	322892
                                  Outstanding livery, your rudder design is first class. Nice video and perfect landing, all on your maiden, well done! Guess the airport security guy though it was a real Swiss Airforce fighter you were spotting and decided to high tail it out of there rather than tangle with any "military" type.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Or he has access because Switzerland has compulsory conscription for all males at 19, and reserve status to age 34.
                                    Last edited by fredmdbud; Aug 24, 2021, 12:45 AM. Reason: upper age correction

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Outstanding livery, your rudder design is first class. Nice video and perfect landing, all on your maiden, well done! Guess the airport security guy though it was a real Swiss Airforce fighter you were spotting and decided to high tail it out of there rather than tangle with any "military" type.
                                      well, airbase security patrols are always welcome as spectators, but not expected to take that taxiway there are alternative paths - and definitively not when model jets are already flying - I wasn‘t amused!! Imagine myself focussing on approach/landing, and this bird comes in really „hot“, I might have ended up with my beauty sticking on their front windshield..😉 anyway, was glad all went well

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                                        Or he has access because Switzerland has compulsory conscription for all males at 19, and reserve status to age 37.
                                        True - in fact, I served for Swiss Air Force as a militia officer for more than twenty years - If I were wearing my uniform, I would have taught them a lesson!!

Comment

• Great job on the livery and maiden!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X