Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm seriously considering buying a second hand FW F-18. The plane is new and never been flown. I believe it's the base gray version and was purchased early 2021 (Feb). Reading through the forums, it's clear there is a potential issue w/ the flaps. Is there anyway to test if there's an issue before buying? Are there any other issues to look out for? I believe the elevator servo was an issue on the Blue Angels version.

TIA.

Comment

• Originally posted by salali View Post
      I'm seriously considering buying a second hand FW F-18. The plane is new and never been flown. I believe it's the base gray version and was purchased early 2021 (Feb). Reading through the forums, it's clear there is a potential issue w/ the flaps. Is there anyway to test if there's an issue before buying? Are there any other issues to look out for? I believe the elevator servo was an issue on the Blue Angels version.

TIA.
      Not sure there is an "issue" with the flaps per se, although I did have one of my flaps sticking on one of my Hornets (have 2). Replaced both flap servos and bypassed the circuit board on both to be safe, but of the thousands (?) sold, have rarely heard of it being a problem (I'm always the lucky one though). Regarding the elevator servos, yes there was a problem when it was first released in the BA version, the servo wires were sometimes severed at the factory on a tight installation, but that was cured early one, with not a problem since that I heard of. I don't think the base grey had an issue ever, but if you get it, you can always remove the elevator servos and check the wires to be safe. Check and make sure this is the "newer high performance version" with the 9 blade 1900 kv inrunner. Initially they were sold with a 12 blade 1750 Kv (I think) outrunner that was a bit sluggish, but if he did buy it in February of 2021, it should have the inrunner!
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Not sure there is an "issue" with the flaps per se, although I did have one of my flaps sticking on one of my Hornets (have 2). Replaced both flap servos and bypassed the circuit board on both to be safe, but of the thousands (?) sold, have rarely heard of it being a problem (I'm always the lucky one though). Regarding the elevator servos, yes there was a problem when it was first released in the BA version, the servo wires were sometimes severed at the factory on a tight installation, but that was cured early one, with not a problem since that I heard of. I don't think the base grey had an issue ever, but if you get it, you can always remove the elevator servos and check the wires to be safe. Check and make sure this is the "newer high performance version" with the 9 blade 1900 kv inrunner. Initially they were sold with a 12 blade 1750 Kv (I think) outrunner that was a bit sluggish, but if he did buy it in February of 2021, it should have the inrunner!
        Thanks Hugh Wiedman. I’ll look into bypassing the circuit board/blue box as recommended. The servos have been reinforced with CA. Servo wiring looks good. I can’t wait to get this into the air! Here’s a pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	173C0151-A7B8-4706-9413-FB6E55E29D7D.jpeg
Views:	508
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	323219

Comment

• salali, WOW, great lookin' Hornet. Nicely done, Sir. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• salali OUTSTANDING This FW model is one of the best to customize, each one better than the next!
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Heres a few videos of my fa18....doing some mods. Follow along! Some flying/mod/experiments. The model is currently getting repainted so be sure to follow along to see the progress on the makeover

Comment

• LOVE it!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Some more Hornet flights :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                    Some more Hornet flights :)

Love your flights at disk, the lights and the AB's really show off well. You can see how your balanced well aft on landing how the nose wheel hardly wants to stay on the ground!
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Well, technically it stays on the ground if I leave the stick centered, but I like pulling (forcing) wheelies, to which the aft CG setting certainly helps, plus it helps decelerate faster... although sometimes I overdo it and the plane jumps back in the air!
                      Gotta be careful with that!

Comment

• Lil sneak peak of the makeover..
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
                          Lil sneak peak of the makeover..
                          Ummmm...What?!? Why does that look like fiberglass and not EPO?
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Trust me..its epo hahaahaha

Comment

• Wow!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• A lil sneak peak. Still more work to do but getting close
                                Attached Files

Comment

• That looks awesome, if only that gear would have came like that in stock form.......

Comment

• Whoa... tell us more on the gear conversion from E-Flite!

Looks like it fits good enough... and looks the part!

I heard complaints about the FMS gear not absorbing impacts good enough, what's your take on it?
                                    Did you stiffen the spring or did anything else in addition?

Comment

• Thanks! Yeah i added secondary springs. Thry will actually absorb now hahhaha

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
                                        A lil sneak peak
                                        CN, Bravo Zulu, Sir. She is a beauty. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Wow she is gorgeous! Love the finish and gear!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X