First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Aros!

Here I come with more Hornet to share! :D

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Airguardian if there's a board out there that fits into the Hornet wing for the aileron and flaps, I'm all ears. Just didn't need the extra wires of a ribbon cable and needed to bypass the circuit board.
    That's the one I was talking about. I think it should work but have not tested it yet!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...FbWzcrJgo6ewJE dxCcf6Dz2FgVrANvBjmpIcylLM

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
      That's the one I was talking about. I think it should work but have not tested it yet!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...FbWzcrJgo6ewJE dxCcf6Dz2FgVrANvBjmpIcylLM
      That's the same wing connection board that it comes with stock. The photo in the description shows the pins that the aileron/flap servo connections plug into and the other side, not shown, is the connector for the ribbon cable. That's the board I removed so I could just plug the extensions coming from the RX directly into the wing servos. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd leave the wing as is with the ribbon connector, but cut the wires coming off and solder them directly to the extensions going to the RX. I was hoping to find a board that had the same pins on both sides.
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Well, my point is, if you keep the wing-mounted one and the ribbon cable, adding another one of these on the opposite end of the ribbon should give you individual access to each servo.
        Again, I have not thoroughly examined the connections, need to do that yet, but should be plug and play!

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
          Well, my point is, if you keep the wing-mounted one and the ribbon cable, adding another one of these on the opposite end of the ribbon should give you individual access to each servo.
          Again, I have not thoroughly examined the connections, need to do that yet, but should be plug and play!
          Oh, now I see what you mean, yes that would do the trick. I'm not that creative so you have to assume you're speaking with a 2 year old.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I didn't think of that myself, tbh.
            Topdogzrc gave me the idea.
            My original plan was to turn the ribbon into a multi-output wire-thing manually.

But I'm lazy and his approach seemed to be more straightforward!

Comment

• There goes some more Hornet rocking!

Comment

• This one's particularly dedicated to all Metallica fans out there...

Ladies and gentlemen, shall I present to you the "Master of Hornets"

Comment

• A few cool shots from today's session! :D
                  Frames are from Tuckie's GoPro, flying formation with me on a DJI FPV

Comment

• Gorgeous shots!! Holy crap!
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Prom queen!

Comment

• James I like the 115 decals !

Comment

• Hi guys...great forum! I have been following this thread for quite some time and have actually looked over all 259 pages over time. I now have 7 flights on my BA F18C and I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter. I bypassed the blue box for everything except landing gear and lights as others have posted. I also eliminated any slow movement of the flap servos (they are full speed and deploy immediately on the ground). Test flew again yesterday and first flight seemed fine...flaps worked as intended...nice flight and landing. Next flight was a different story. I deployed half flaps on downwind after slowing the airplane down a bit and extending the landing gear with no noticeable problem. When I selected full flaps, the airplane rolled over almost on it's back. Luckily I was able to retract the flaps and save it but the landing was less than stellar with calm conditions and zero flaps. Two go arounds resulted in an almost dead battery on the last approach so I had no choice but to set it down...pretty hard. Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage.

Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?

Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?

Sorry for the long post and thanks very much in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by yamr663304 View Post
                            I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter.
                            Did you make sure that when your flaps are retracted the servos are not under any kind of load or struggling?
                            That could cause them to overheat and lack torque later on when required.
                            The flaps need to close flush and lined with the airfoil but not tight. If the servos are holding it closed by doing force, this will wear them down fast.

Also, did you move the linkage one extra hole in on the servo arm to improve mechanical advantage?

In any case, I'd likely replace the flap servos if I were you. I have not replaced mine, but mine haven't failed (yet).
                            (...and cross fingers it stays like that).

Originally posted by yamr663304 View Post
                            Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage. [...]
                            Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?
                            The cosmetic 'supporting white brace' comes as one piece but easily snaps in two on hard landings.
                            I repair mine with a wooden skewer stick fit on the inside and contact glue.

Originally posted by yamr663304 View Post
                            Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?
                            Corona DS-939MG should be perfect for the role.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply Airguardian! Servos are not stalled in the up position and I had previously moved the pushrod down on the servo arm. I believe these stock servos are just marginally capable of handling the loads of these flaps. Thanks for the info on the nose gear strut and servo recommendations. I'll be replacing the servos and post results.

Comment

• Hi yamr663304, I assume you‘re talking about this plastic strut. Mine broke, too. I fixed it with a thin carbon bar inside and epoxy glue.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	FE609100-DB98-4C68-A359-2E3276ADEDF9.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	328460

Comment

• @ Jandro: Very nice pictures. I followed your advice and activated the flight stabilization. The bird has a much better handling now. But it‘s still challenging compared to the F22.
                                  - Eric

Comment

• Hi Polyphren. Yes, that's the strut I'm talking about. Thanks very much for the input...I like your idea of using a piece of carbon fiber in the channel of that strut.

Comment

• The digital camo scheme works impressingly well in a cloudy sky. I nearly lost orientation after an unexpected stall and the following downward spiral. Due to better pose recognition I decided to add white and neon stripes to the back side. I‘m looking forward to the next flight in a cloudy evening sky.
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	9313882C-89D3-4296-8469-477B641BED3A.jpeg
Views:	486
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	328464

Comment

• That white-orange striped scheme looks really well, I like it! :D

With the Hornet it's not just about the livery, but also the fact it is slightly smaller than similar jets and usually gets away faster, so it's easier to lose sight and orientation than with most. It even has affected me several times, and I am not one to suffer much from orientation problems, even with fully-grey camo birds!

Originally posted by Polyphren View Post
                                        @ Jandro: Very nice pictures. I followed your advice and activated the flight stabilization. The bird has a much better handling now. But it‘s still challenging compared to the F22.
                                        - Eric
                                        Yep, I agree the F-18 is a challenging bird, even with stabilization. I'd say all my other jets are easier to handle by a wide margin! ;)
                                        But then the Hornet does knife edge so much better than all the rest... and it can still pull a cobra! It's cool how each of these jets is its own world with very characteristic traits that are particular to each and their designs. I find it fascinating!

Comment

• Originally posted by yamr663304 View Post
                                          Hi guys...great forum! I have been following this thread for quite some time and have actually looked over all 259 pages over time. I now have 7 flights on my BA F18C and I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter. I bypassed the blue box for everything except landing gear and lights as others have posted. I also eliminated any slow movement of the flap servos (they are full speed and deploy immediately on the ground). Test flew again yesterday and first flight seemed fine...flaps worked as intended...nice flight and landing. Next flight was a different story. I deployed half flaps on downwind after slowing the airplane down a bit and extending the landing gear with no noticeable problem. When I selected full flaps, the airplane rolled over almost on it's back. Luckily I was able to retract the flaps and save it but the landing was less than stellar with calm conditions and zero flaps. Two go arounds resulted in an almost dead battery on the last approach so I had no choice but to set it down...pretty hard. Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage.

Sorry for the long post and thanks very much in advance!
                                          Seems the Flap issue keeps coming up with the F-18..... Based on that I am always on the side of preventive vs reactive.... So I have upgraded my F-18 flap servos to the Hitec- HS-5065MG. They provide the torque required and they are as smooth as butter..... You can find cheaper servos, but you get what you pay for so beware of saving a few bucks and replacing a plane. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                          X