Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modelhead
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the info. Got the jet today and intend to maiden at a field. I did measure the static thrust at right around 7lbs. Does anyone know what the static thrust of the 1835kv motor is? If you have one- would you mind measuring? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros View Post
    Added polyurethane gloss coats to Lucky #7 last weekend...I was really impressed with how smooth it dries! (I've noticed photos don't do these gloss coats justice). Unfortunately this latest ARF+ had a little bit more gatoring than my others so it did highlight those areas a bit but not too bad at all.
    Aros, What do you mean, "Not too bad...." She's stunning. I see why you like the BA Version. It is perfect in the glossier finishes. Makes all the difference. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Lucky "7". I agree. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• Mizer67
    replied
    Originally posted by Modelhead View Post
    Here is the approach and landing. It was longer than typical.. There’s another additional 50 feet beyond where she stopped before hitting a rock wall. There are no go arounds. Thoughts on landing the F18 here please. Thanks!
    Possible, but appears hard to do consistently from the visuals.

The F-18 has a speed at which it, before it stalls on you with the nose/wings level, it approaches the glide ratio of a brick. If you ride the edge while adding just enough power not break something in the flare, you could land in that space as the roll out will be minimal on grass.

I wouldn't try it until I was very comfortable with the jet, personally.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Added polyurethane gloss coats to Lucky #7 last weekend...I was really impressed with how smooth it dries! (I've noticed photos don't do these gloss coats justice). Unfortunately this latest ARF+ had a little bit more gatoring than my others so it did highlight those areas a bit but not too bad at all.
    OOOH Baby, what a sweet looking BA with the Gloss Coat. Took me a while , but now I get the #7 on the tail, but then whose counting.

Leave a comment:

• The43rdHammer
    replied
    Cancel that, I see it at 100mm 👍

Leave a comment:

• The43rdHammer
    replied
    Jandro, what CG are you using, is it the same as the manual? I just did mine on my Xicoy CG computer and my battery wasn’t pushes back that far.

Do I need to set the CG further to the rear?

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Originally posted by Polyphren View Post
    @Airguardian:
    Wow . I took the position of the blue-box as god given. My battery is still below the cockpit. I have to try, how I can replace the blue-box.
    How did. you achieve to work in this narrow space?
    Just unscrew it from the wooden battery tray, unscrew the tray itself and you will see that there is quite some space underneath it.
    Once all the wires are properly routed, you screw the tray back in! :)

Here are some pics of this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_223301.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	306537Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_223411.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	306538

Some more pics of how the battery totally disappears in the fuselage with my current CG:

Name:	20200710_201131.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	306533Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_201438.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	306534Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_201418.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	306535

And totally unrelated, but here is my antenna placement... inside the nose gear compartment!

Name:	20200321_203933.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	306536

Leave a comment:

• T-CAT
    replied
    Yeah I noticed it definitely gave it a nice thin but hard protective surface...Now if only I can afford one of those gorgeous Jet Power BA's! Maybe in my next life. LOL

Click image for larger version  Name:	maxresdefault.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.9 KB ID:	306523
    At least you own a jet that’s less of a hassle and less expensive to operate and maintain. The glass half full effect. Ha-ha

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Yeah I noticed it definitely gave it a nice thin but hard protective surface...Now if only I can afford one of those gorgeous Jet Power BA's! Maybe in my next life. LOL

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	306523

Leave a comment:

• T-CAT
    replied
    Yeahhhhhhh buddy! There’s nothing like a glossed up Blue Angel. As an added bonus, the gloss layer helps seal the decals and reduces paint chipping, from my experience.

Leave a comment:

• Polyphren
    replied
    @Airguardian:
    Wow . I took the position of the blue-box as god given. My battery is still below the cockpit. I have to try, how I can replace the blue-box.
    How did. you achieve to work in this narrow space?

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Originally posted by Modelhead View Post
    Here is the approach and landing. It was longer than typical.. There’s another additional 50 feet beyond where she stopped before hitting a rock wall. There are no go arounds. Thoughts on landing the F18 here please. Thanks!
    Whoa!
    I mean, first of all, I take my hat off, that landing was amazing!
    This said, I don't think you will land the Hornet there.

I don't imply that you aren't perfectly capable of the feat, just that it looks like a terrible idea as it's very difficult that you nail it everytime and this jet is super-picky and tricky.
    It stalls badly and suddenly, it doesn't tolerate high alpha and it doesn't like to fly slow. If at least you had space for a go around... but you have a tree in the way!

my plane is nearly ready for the first take-off. I applied redundancy for the power supply. The electronics and the second battery are mounted on a board to bring them as close as possible towards the COG. However it‘s still difficult to achieve the COG Airguardien recommended.
    The LED afterburner really helps out in that regard.
    Still, have you already pushed the battery as far aft as possible?
    I mean, burying the blue-box and clearing the battery compartment allows for a very-rearward placement of the batt:

Here are a few pics of mine (and here the battery wasn't even pushed full-aft!).
    You can use elastic foam pieces to limit how aft the battery sits (I ended up taking them all out but the option is there to make battery placement extra easy), and you can use a foam wedge to lock the battery in place. If you use velcro on the battery tray + the foam wedge, you don't even need to use a strap, battery won't go anywhere :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1111397.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	306464Click image for larger version  Name:	P1111398.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	306465Click image for larger version  Name:	P1111421.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	306466Click image for larger version

Name:	image_70163.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	306463 ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Polyphren
    replied

Name:	20210228_081844.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	306457

Leave a comment:

• Polyphren
    replied
    Hi Andy,
    yeah, that‘s my baby.

Name:	1688BCB1-F615-4C7A-A652-B95BD4B372A8.jpeg
Views:	468
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	306455

Leave a comment:

• The43rdHammer
    replied
    ...my plane is nearly ready for the first take-off....
    Hi Eric, was your F-18 the Stingers digital camouflage scheme in the March Mayhem competition ... if it was, it was wonderful?

I'm just getting my F-18 ready now, first flight in a couple of weeks so not in a position to help.

I have fitted an Eagle A3 Super 3 gyro.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Griffon Wings
    replied
    Hugh Wiedman !! Congratulations on the f-18 , i just saw it yesterday wile reading the magazine!
    GREAT JOB Sir !! Admiring you jet 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

very happy for you , congratulations again Hugh !!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Polyphren
    replied
    Hi together,

my plane is nearly ready for the first take-off. I applied redundancy for the power supply. The electronics and the second battery are mounted on a board to bring them as close as possible towards the COG. However it‘s still difficult to achieve the COG Airguardien recommended.
    since I‘ve no afterburner flashlight, I‘m thinking about calibration weights inside the fans. 2 stripes in longitudinal direction or some weights less in orthogonal direction help a lot.
    what do you think? Is it a good or bad idea?

Best,
    Eric

Click image for larger version  Name:	D0413C52-67F9-4119-A2DB-0EACBABF48F2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	306448
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• The43rdHammer
    replied
    Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post
    Speed DEMON
    F-18 with the 90mm 1835 inrunner on a Roaring Top 70C 5500 🔥 142mph over the ground 😎😎
    Nice looking bird, backdrop looks like Fallon AFB Nevada

Leave a comment:

• The43rdHammer
    replied
    Congratulations on your article Hugh Wiedman one for a frame on the wall of the workshop!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X